Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Big Rats with a Big Job

glynne64

I just saw this on Animal Planet. Fascinating stuff.

Apopo Rats

linked-image

Being that they are the size of a small cat, I'm kinda glad they are on our side!! :yes:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glynne64

• leadbelly

• m. Moe

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the various pictures, and it's a pretty clever idea. I don't like rats, or digging for explosives. Somebody has to do it, though.

That's in Africa. Population pressures and tribalism keep that continent in a running-war mode, year after year. Even if the major suppliers of landmines dry up and go away, the other implements of war won't ever disappear.

What is important to the West, is enough stability to insure that African oil and metals are brought to market. To those ends, trade pacts and assistance are supplied.

Sidenote- on the news, they said so much donated clothing from America ends up sold on the african black market, that at least ten thousand textile workers have lost their jobs in those areas. An instance where kindness has unintended results.

I've heard of German Shepards doing this, but not rats. It's very interesting, but I would still take the dog over the rodent any day. :lol:

I've heard of German Shepards doing this, but not rats. It's very interesting, but I would still take the dog over the rodent any day. :lol:

Well, they use dogs also, but since the rat weighs in at 3 lbs. (on average), they do not set off the landmines. The program I saw used both rats & dogs together. Interesting co-workers, huh?