Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In memory of the Dodos!

Bright Eyes

I don't know if this really belongs here, as there is no real mystery surrounding the Dodo except that us humans drove it to extinction. But I've never been able to help looking at them as more creatures of legend rather than of reality.

There once was an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. It was a peaceful island, filled with unusual creatures. One of the most interesting of these animals was a large, gentle species of bird. These birds had lived on the island for so long that they had forgotten how to fly. Why should they? Everything they needed was right there on the island.

One day, a ship arrived full of strange and rowdy creatures. The gentle birds were curious, having never seen such a happening on their island before, and so they went out to investigate. One by one they went to see the visitors and, one by one, they were struck down. Some were taken for food. Some were taken for sport. Some were destroyed out of boredom. The reasons never really mattered; soon all of the big, gentle birds were gone, never to return. The visitors, deprived of their sport, moved on searching for another island, destined to repeat themselves again.

The island was the island of Mauritius. The birds were the dodos. The visitors were the Dutch sailors who settled the island. The time period was less than one hundred years from discovery to extinction. We owe it to the dodos to make sure we never make the same mistake again.

I remembered I bought a book years ago which included the story of the Dodo leading up to its extinction, and how it had made me cry. This is only a snippet that I found while trying to find that original story.

I just think it's so sad that humans, through selfishness and pure ruthlessness were to blame for the putting out the flame of this amazing bird's entire existence. And even today if things continue the way they are, this is the future of many other magnificent creatures we're lucky enough to share the world with.

Just wanted to share something with you.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bright Eyes

• Benjo Koolzooie

• Engulf

• The Krow

The Spanish - when they were exploring - were responsible for the dodos extinction. They introduced wild pigs to the island, that killed the dodos! Sad, but true. The human race are responsible for making over 50 different types of animals disappear of the face of the planet every single year! crying.gif

Humans brought with them rats and cats aswell as wild pigs which feasted on the Dodo's eggs. So they never stood a chance. They were met with things they had never encountered before and they didn't have the experience to be able to defend themselves. Another factor which was a primary cause in their extinction was the destruction of the forests on their island which left them with no food supply.

I can't believe it was extinct less than 80 years after its discovery. What a complete waste. It shows how much we can take something for granted, and then there's nothing we can do to get it back. And although you see models in museums, they aren't an actual replica of the real thing as no entire specimen was found.

I read that they believed that the Dodo evolved from a bird that could fly. And when that original bird landed on the island of Mauritius they found that food was plentiful and there were no predators, so they evolved so that they could remain on the ground, saving energy that flying would use up.

I did actually find a 'myth' around the dodo, that Kitchener actually found out from earlier paintings and reconstruction from bone fragments, that Dodos weren't the stubby-winged, heavy ungainly birds that more recent pictures portray them as, but were actually thinner, and were lithe and fast runners, very active in the forests on the island. Unfortunately we'll never be lucky enough to encounter this. sad.gif

Hmm....{{Djdodo}} tongue.giftongue.gif

For clarity reasons,it's someone in this forum too. original.gif

I found a great site dedicated to dodos. I can't remember the link however.......

The Stellar's Seacow was another victim. The moment man discovered them, the first thing they think of was to fill their stomachs. Humans literally ate away the species. Then there is the passenger pidgeon. Once so plentiful that flocks of them would fill the skies yet humans STILL were able to obliterate them.

Oh those pidgeons still fly in flocks here in Iowa. We call them flying rats. Yes it is sad that humans have taken over their netting grounds but they are over populated here. Their droppings are dangerous and cause brain damage in small children just by breathing near the droppings. It is a big problem. They are in such big flocks that they will cover a patio and make it look like it's been painted white.

There is such a thing as populating and there's overpopulation. Which isn't good for any species.

The spanish did try eating the dodo's thinking of chicken or what ever, but the dodo's were too oily to eat!! And the rats kills them all off eating the eggs as the island was rat free of them till spanish came.... disgust.gif

• 3 weeks later...

some dodos still exsist, or at least that's what I belive, theres no way thay could of all died out!!!

Of course there is a way - it's called extinction

Extinction...such a beutiful word...extinction...what i wish would happen to the human race...

Extinction...such a beutiful word...extinction...what i wish would happen to the human race...

Wouldn't be that far-fetched. Humanities entire makup seems to be geared toward destuction. Coupled with an a deeprooted greed for any prosperity that others have.

Wish I had the ability to fly, but.. I am going off topic. Might try and find that site actually.