Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sounds from "The Pit"

SonnyChiba

I have been researching Black Hole Phenomena (particularly the stephen hawking paradox/alternate universe w/o black hole theory).

I was wondering...what do you think a black hole would sound like inside?

And what is everyone's thoughts on Black holes, just curious.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonnyChiba

• Lilly

• Adam2006

• SkeptiCx

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the opposite of a really big bang?

Honestly, I wouldn't even begin to guess.

As to what a black hole is? Well, I've heard an interesting theory that says the singularity is the universe protecting itself from nothing.

I would have to say that at the mouth of a black hole there would be no sound. If it can suck in light I'm sure it would suck in any sounds be it radio waves or what not. Nothing but silience at the mouth. As far as the back end of one I would say it would be silent as well as there is no "sound" in space but alot of radio waves and other such things that could be picked up with special equipment. I imagine the scientists at s.e.t.i. listin to this back ground noise all the time. Some produced probably by far off black holes.

Edited by The Silver Thong

And what is everyone's thoughts on Black holes, just curious.

I think it would sound like a vacuum, a loud sucking sound, but most probabily nothing as you would be dead, or (this is the technical term) spagehtified.

I love BH's . I think they are amazing, the most powerful thing in the universe, and no-one can stop it. :) I want one :yes:

If sound is the vibration of molecules then I would say that you would hear something...how could a partical not vibrate when it is being pulled into a vortex of mass destruction?

i think a black hole would make some sound, as to what it would be i have no idea, what one is again i have no idea but have heard some interesting theories about what they could be, the product of a supernova, a rip in time and space, there are so many possibilities and theories but im no scientist and i really dont know much about them

Sound travels by vibrating air molecules. In space there are no air molecules to vibrate; there is no sound.

Couldn't there be sound on a planet with a hydrogen atmosphere instead of an oxygen? and what if the black hole was sucking in hydrogen or Oxygen or whatever gaseous particle it could find? What would it sound like?

Couldn't there be sound on a planet with a hydrogen atmosphere instead of an oxygen? and what if the black hole was sucking in hydrogen or Oxygen or whatever gaseous particle it could find? What would it sound like?

Well, I can only guess here: How about a great big *sucking* sound? linked-image

Seriously, I don't think anyone really knows.

I'd say it is a high pitched whining sound mixed with a tearing sound...just my thought on the whole idea.

If you really want to know, you first need to disregard all of the naive answers posted here.

Familiarize yourself with the sound speeds in our own solar system (hint- heliopause). Then, consider interacting galaxies (hint- accoustical compressions without AGN). Finally, AGN themselves (hint- giant elliptical galaxies which are known as central objects within galactic clusters).

It is a true Anvil Chorus, at times. ;)

You cant see the inside or hear what it sounds like on the inside from outside of the black hole so the only way to know is go in and try it out but I think the only sound youll hear is your skull ripping apart... :o

It depens where you are in the black hole. If your are about to be sucked int then you will hear the gas molecules vibrating around you. I f you are at the event horizon, you won't hear anything, If you are deep inside the dense object than you will hear the sucking soud and the black hole vibrating itself.

Sound can't travel through a vacuum...Do we even know if the "inside" of a black hole is a vacuum?

wow, i think we should not even try to decipher something we have no clue about.

What if it does something completely opposite of what Mr.Hawking proposed?

No one knows until someone actually goes into one.

Black holes act like a vacuum but I dont think they are a vacuum in the literal sense of an empty space of nothing, after all, lol, they are something sucking things in, which means there has to be something inside....I just confused myself... :blink:

wow, i think we should not even try to decipher something we have no clue about.

What if it does something completely opposite of what Mr.Hawking proposed?

No one knows until someone actually goes into one.

Going into a black hole?! Thats a fools errand...

I'm just curious...what would it sound like?

A Vacuum is one of two things, Something which cleans carpet, and something with no air in it. An empty vessel.

A Vacuum is one of two things, Something which cleans carpet, and something with no air in it. An empty vessel.

and how can something be a vacuum if it is filling itself up with planets, and stars and space rays, and light?

Question, what does a skeptic think a black hole sounds like?