Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did this guy get away with murder?

truethat

Maui police continue to investigate shark case

By KELLY WILKINSON

The search for the body of Nahid Davoodabadi, the Sunnyvale woman attacked by a shark in Maui, was called off last Thursday, although the police are continuing an investigation in the unusual case, according to Maui police. Davoodabadi's husband, Mark Monazzami, claimed his wife bled to death in his arms after a shark bit her arm off while she was trying to climb back into their capsized kayak.

The two had been enjoying a day of kayaking March 19 when high winds pulled their craft farther and farther from shore and into treacherous waters. The boat repeatedly capsized, exposing Davoodabadi to the attack. After Davoodabadi died, the craft flipped over another time, and Monazzami lost hold of his wife.

Monazzami was released from Maui Memorial Medical Center Thursday, where he was treated for dehydration, according to center officials. Rescue teams picked him up March 21 on Kahoolawe, a deserted island where he had washed ashore. He found a phone on the former Naval testing base and dialed 911 after wandering the island for two days.

Detective Joe Higgins of Maui police said that the police located what might be Davoodabadi's life vest. Without any further evidence it is difficult to either prove or disprove Monazzami's story, police said.

"There is still an active investigation to look into any potential inconsistencies," Higgins said.

Higgins said that a few years ago there was "a tiger shark attack a couple miles down the shore from where [Monazzami and Davoodabadi] launched their kayaks," and only the torso of the woman killed in that attack was recovered.

"[Monazzami] said that her arm was bitten off, which means that there would have been a lot of blood and probably a feeding frenzy," Higgins said.

Monazzami is back in Sunnyvale and plans on holding a memorial service for Davoodabadi sometime this week.

something about this story just doesn't add up to me.....but I haven't found anything more. What do you think??

http://www.svcn.com/archives/sunnyvalesun/...shark-9913.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truethat

• Leonardo

• Mattshark

• snuffypuffer

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed that abandoned Navy test sites still have working phone service.

Is this in the right place?

Ya this guy must be like the proffesor from Gilligan's Island to get that phone to work. It's amazing what you can do with a couple of coconut's. I don't know the story sounds credible enough. The phone thing though hmmmm. I think we would need more info as to what his motive might have been to kiil her if he did. Did she have a big insuarance policy, was she rich, was she cheating on him ect. Buy the time the guy got to the Island and spent 2 days there. I dodn't think there would be very much of his wife left to find. So I guess all the police have is his word for it hmmmm. Who know's.

" Is this in the right place?"

To funny but wait maybe it was a furry shark, hey you never know :P

Edited by The Silver Thong

Is this in the right place?

Probably not....If you want to get to the bottom of any death involving spouses that you think looks a little "funny" just take a look-see at who had the most to gain or lose from the death of the other and you will have, at the VERY least, an idea of the truth.

NOW!!!......you may re-locate this thread at your leisure.

It certainly sounds very dodgy, though he is wrong with his feeding frenzy statement.

Edited by Magikman

Well I just put it with all the other shark stuff. Someone can move it because I don't know how.

I find it odd that the shark would just bit her arm off and swim away. He didn't describe the arm bite. He says he tried to tied it off but that's a pretty graphic thing to have to deal with.

He could have taken her out and shot her and dumped her in the ocean with rocks around her feet? It just seems like he could easily do this and why would she go under unless her life jacket was taken off?

Ummm, not to burst your bubble or anything, but this attack happened back in 1999. Her body was never recovered and no-one was ever charged with any crime. Some of the investigators did say they had reservations about the husbands version of events.

No reason to believe it was a crime though.

Crap - I didn't read your link. Sorry. :blush:

My verdict: Innocent until proven guilty. Likelihood of being proven guilty - very remote.

There's a similar story in Australia...

The Shark Arm Case refers to an incident in Coogee, New South Wales, Australia, in early 1935, when on ANZAC Day a captured 3.5 meter tiger shark at the Coogee Aquarium Baths regurgitated a human arm. The arm belonged to a missing person, a former boxer and small time criminal named James Smith, and was identified by a unique tattoo. The arm had been severed with a knife, which led to a murder investigation.

Although arrests were made, police were hampered by the lack of the body and in the end no one was ever charged for the murder. Another local criminal, Reginald Holmes, whom Smith had sometimes worked for, was found shot in a car near the Sydney Harbour Bridge the day before the inquest into Smith's death was due to begin. The presumption was that Holmes was killed to keep him from talking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shark_Arm_Case

There's a similar story in Australia...

The Shark Arm Case refers to an incident in Coogee, New South Wales, Australia, in early 1935, when on ANZAC Day a captured 3.5 meter tiger shark at the Coogee Aquarium Baths regurgitated a human arm. The arm belonged to a missing person, a former boxer and small time criminal named James Smith, and was identified by a unique tattoo. The arm had been severed with a knife, which led to a murder investigation.

Although arrests were made, police were hampered by the lack of the body and in the end no one was ever charged for the murder. Another local criminal, Reginald Holmes, whom Smith had sometimes worked for, was found shot in a car near the Sydney Harbour Bridge the day before the inquest into Smith's death was due to begin. The presumption was that Holmes was killed to keep him from talking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shark_Arm_Case

Yeah they knew the shark had not eaten the guy, it eat his arm after the man was dead. It is quite a famous case.

I guess we are to believe she was tastier than he was, although I don't think the shark sampled him.

Yeah, something fishy.....