Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Solanum: The REAL T-virus?, real zombies? 2

angie_is_hardcore

so, i was thinking...

you know how solanum is a virus in vegatables? well, what if you had no immunity to this virus and you ate a potato.

do you think you could get it?

(just so you know, this is a hypothetical question. i know that it's impossible to actually "live" while your heart and brain are technically declared dead, but i just wanna see where this goes...)

-Angie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Atheist God

• Mr.United_Nations

• Queen in the North

Again huh.

Solanum is not real. It is a made up fictional virus made up for the fictional zombie survival guide which is a tongue-in-cheek humour read. Nothing about it is real. It was written satirically by a comedian for satirical funny elements.

He is saying that it is a fake virus and in reality it is just a genus or species group of plants...

For the fictional virus, see The Zombie Survival Guide.

There is a real Solanum which is a genus of plants, and there is the fictional Solanum presented in the Zombie Survival Guide that is a virus and, once contracted, kills people and then turns you into the living dead.

Since Zombies were referenced, i logically assumed the poster was confusing the real meaning of the word Solanum with the fictional zombie-virus Solanum.

Solanum is not a virus in fruits and vegetables, it is a classification of fruits and vegetables.

Solanum lycopersicum

It makes me hungry for a 'mater and mayo sammich...With a little salt and black pepper...

Yummy...

I've been dealing with these exact posts for 3 years almost. Nothing new. ;)

Solanum is not a virus in fruits and vegetables, it is a classification of fruits and vegetables.

my bad, said virus instead of genus! :)

this wasn't really supposed to be a fullblown "topic" topic...

it was my first post and i didnt really have anything to write about. i just wanted to see how to work everything.

so i thought i'd write something mildly (obviously not really...) amusing.

sorry.

also, question.

how do you end a forum-thing?

Wether or not Solanum is "real",

There was a case of zombies in Africa (forgot which country). It was a disease carried by mosquitoes that killed a human but made them function in a very violent way for an hour or two before the entire body shut down and died. Many said it was like a zombie.

Now that I'd like to hear more about..

Wether or not Solanum is "real",

There was a case of zombies in Africa (forgot which country). It was a disease carried by mosquitoes that killed a human but made them function in a very violent way for an hour or two before the entire body shut down and died. Many said it was like a zombie.

I heard about that. I think it was said to be a form of Malaria .It is interesting... if that could be controlled, do you think it could be used to bring people back from the dead?

I have read The Zombie Survival Guide. It is really funny. Was the author the same one who wrote the Darwin Awards?

That also was not true. That was an April fools joke.

I heard about that. I think it was said to be a form of Malaria .It is interesting... if that could be controlled, do you think it could be used to bring people back from the dead?

I have read The Zombie Survival Guide. It is really funny. Was the author the same one who wrote the Darwin Awards?

the author of TZSG is comedian Max Brooks

the creator of the darwin awards is wendy northcutt, who is, i think, a molecular biologist

Edited by evil_E.T

That also was not true. That was an April fools joke.

Are you sure? i seen it on the BBC and it was not in April I don't think...

the author of TZSG is comedian Max Brooks

the creator of the darwin awards is wendy northcutt, who is, i think, a molecular biologist

O.K thanks.

O.K thanks.

I don't know if it was an April Fools joke, but it was a joke. The guy responsible is on another forum I frequent.

For those of you who like TZSG, you should check out Max Brooks latest book, World War Z. It is a very cool peice of zombie fiction that is written out as different characters telling their stories about the zombie war.

Personally, if there were something that would bring people back from the dead, i wouldnt want it.

sorry.

i mean, then there would a massive population problem.

lol

Personally, if there were something that would bring people back from the dead, i wouldnt want it.

sorry.

i mean, then there would a massive population problem.

lol

Not to mention the various body parts littering the streets.

O.K thanks.

Yes. I posted the forum for it on here myself.

It was very clever, first surfacing in 2004 i think. Someone took a CNN page and copied it exactly, down to every little link. If any link was clicked on the site, it would take you to the corresponding page on CNN itself, however the URL for the zombie page was actually not a CNN address. The only way to access that page was by clicking a posted link from a different site, there was no links to it on CNN itself. Zombies in Cambodia, you'd think we'd have heard more about it right? :) It had me fooled for a few days too.

BBC, i apologise. But yes, that's the very same one! Although the picture has changed. But if you look at the URL it is obviously not actually a BBC page.

Just a very clever joke i'm afraid.

WOW! I thought that it had pretty much been decided that viruses that cause zombification were not real! I never would've thought that the lastest slew of el-cheapo zombie movies would give this "legend" a "New Life".

I wonder if I can catch the "T-Virus" from "Orange Pekoe"? I bet more than one of you googles that one!

WOW! I thought that it had pretty much been decided that viruses that cause zombification were not real! I never would've thought that the lastest slew of el-cheapo zombie movies would give this "legend" a "New Life".

From our generations yes, we are all aware of the fiction.

But with each year there is a new generation of childen with wide eyes ready to believe anything that could be considered different to the norm.

This site is a 100% prime example of that.

From our generations yes, we are all aware of the fiction.

But with each year there is a new generation of childen with wide eyes ready to believe anything that could be considered different to the norm.

This site is a 100% prime example of that.

So true. I wonder how many people actually took the time to notice the date at the top of the story? April 01! I remember one year Pop Sci published an article saying that L.A. county was planning to install giant fans on the mountains nearby to blow all the smog away from the city.