Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mistreatment of Americans in Europe

truethat

I notice that a thread where people mentioned being mistreated by Europeans while visiting as Americans was construed as "Anti-European" and I'm curious since so many people I know have experienced this why this is so.

Seems that the moderators who were from London think talking about how you were treated like dirt when you visited is construed as "ANTI EUROPEAN" so um telling the truth to potential travelers is wrong? Should we lie and paint flowers and roses?

I know someone via the internet that lived in England for 4 years. It didn't help matters that she was from Texas. She was abused on a regular basis about Bush and the war. She was stuck in the country waiting on her husbands visa (Even he wanted to leave) and hated it.

I myself have traveled and got the big "Sit down we want to tell you why we hate your government" monologue while traveling. I was pretty shocked at how common this was as I shared my story with other people.

So why is this Anti European? If anything its just discussing the experiences. Yet moderators on here from England (No bias there) shut down the thread.

I should mention that I am married to a European who was shocked alongside me by my treatment. My sister is married to someone from England and experienced the same thing.

So I'm curious.

I know the media has been bashing America since 9-11 telling us that its our white trash, cheeto eating gas guzzlin stomping all over the world stuff that caused 9-11. For years it was "Oh its not the PEOPLE we hate, its the government" except the people were good enough for a punching bag it seems when the government couldn't be reached.

So I'm curious. Why is it ok to bash Americans relentlessly but if we say "Oh wow they treated me like crap in England while I was visiting" its construed as Anti European?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mekorig

• british_patriot

• Reincarnated

• Mr Black

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of europeans only have american tourists to go by, and generally they are load and vulgar. That combined with what we see on the news and Americas foriegn policy doesnt make people form a high opinion of America.

I myself have gone to Texas every year for the last 4 years, and i say this in all seriousness, the Texans are the most polite, pleasant, kind people i have ever met. And my opinion totally changed because i experienced america from the inside.

I love Texas and i think compared to the english (and i love England) Americans are alot nicer people, just the little things you know, like if an american has to walk past your view in the supermarket they will always say sorry, in england they dont! When i would walk my sisters dog in the neighbourhood in texas locals would stop their cars and say morning.......people dont even acknowledge you here!

On the whole i find Americans very nice indeed!

It's just a cultural thing innit. I had the pleasure of hanging out with some American chaps in Rome a few years ago and they were hilarious. However I have met many who you hear a mile off yapping about some trivial nonsense. But then it's not just Americans is it. The English are notoriously idiotic when abroad, see the Greek islands every summer.

Plus it's not a new thing, Americans were resented in Britain in WWII because they had more money, more food and kept sleeping with English women, all the while talking about how the war was over now they were in it. Not a lot wrong with that attitude, because they were right, but when as a nation you're half starved, rationed up to the eyeballs, your clothes are rags and you have no metal anywhere you can see how people aren't going to like it. Multiply through every country in watime Europe and you can see why, only 60 years later, people are sceptical of them. Probably quite narrow minded but there you go.

Americans are alot nicer people then Brits that's for sure.

You will find nice people and idiots all around the world. I know people how were treated very badly in Europe for beign southamericans (tourist, not illegal inmigrants) and people how were treaded very well. The same in the USA. People how will treat you like plague ridden if you told you are from Argentina, and very nice people how will treat you like their bother.

Many Thanks to you ledley! Makes me want to run around and hug people.

No need for thanks, just telling it as it is :tu:

I get the same thing about NYers and I don't consider it NY bashing when people say they came to NY and people were rude or they were mistreated. I just consider it part of the experience and I'll say "come let me show you around next time and you'll see a brighter side to NY"

NYers are among the most helpful people I know. And Texans have that southern charm they do indeed say Morning. We had a girl from North Carolina who came to NY and was saying "mornin" to everyone until her tongue got tired. There's a lot more people here. LOL

I think one point where Americans feel resentful is in European bashing of President Bush. But nearly half of American voters the past two presidential elections voted for someone other than George Bush. And these voters may not stand Bush's guts - but are being blamed for Bush's actions. Even though they did everything they could do to keep Bush out of office short of an armed rebellion.

I think one point where Americans feel resentful is in European bashing of President Bush. But nearly half of American voters the past two presidential elections voted for someone other than George Bush. And these voters may not stand Bush's guts - but are being blamed for Bush's actions. Even though they did everything they could do to keep Bush out of office short of an armed rebellion.

I know what are you talking. Here i have a discution whit a office cooworker how get happy when we heard about the USA embasy attack in Greece. I told him that he was an stupid for beign happy for USA citizens deads, but he keeps blaming all the USA people for the actions of some of their sucesive govs. Has i already said, idiots, togheter whit fungus, is the fastest expanding kind of pest in the world.

In my experience there are the same ratio of idiots to nice people everywhere that I have been.

I have traveled to a lot of places and I have always tried to be respectful of the culture that I visit, and I think that makes all of the difference. When in france I did my best to stumble through speaking broken French; even for the lame attempt I could tell that it was appreciated by the locals. I did see other Americans that simply expected that everyone spoke english and got frustrated when they didn't... I would imagine that those are the same people that complain about folks coming to America from other countries and don't learn english.

In Iraq I found that an overwhelming majority of the people just simply want to live their lives in peace and raise their kids and attempt to be happy; just like they do here. There were idiots that wanted to shoot us, or spit at us on the street but I could understand that. Even under those horrible conditions most people were very kind.

There are idiots everywhere. There are a lot of legitimate reasons to be mad at America, but most people can do a decent job of seperating the difference between American policy and Americans. Of course there are going to be angry folks in other countries just looking to take out their anger on an American in their country, but I also have seen foreigners here that get berated for where they come from. France is a great example and you can even see that on this forum; there are folks here that make horrible blanket statements about the french people(not the government), although they have never been there. In my opinion that is no different than saying something horrible about blacks or Mexicans, or whites; whatever the group may be. That is just unnacceptable to me.

There is enough reason for anyone to be mad at our government and I understand that. If somebody doesn't have the sense to know the difference between a person and their government, then they are an idiot and you have to take what they say with a grain of salt.

Me being an American, I went to France for the summer and visited my ancestor's chateu. My family in Europe loved us Americans, but when we left the chateu and arrived in the little town nearby, Frenchies were extremely P.Oed that we were there. I mean, they kept calling us imperialist b*******, so my brother and I would make fun of them (privately). My family apoligized to us, but we thought it was rather funny.

I know someone via the internet that lived in England for 4 years. It didn't help matters that she was from Texas. She was abused on a regular basis about Bush and the war. She was stuck in the country waiting on her husbands visa (Even he wanted to leave) and hated it.
Texans are nice people (if you're white lol), but their feelings about you can do a 360 within a few seconds when it comes down to politics. If she went to Europe (or any other country) with that "Don't mess with Texas" attitude, you aren't going to have many friends. But if she was harassed without them even knowing her political stance or where she came from, that would be dumb. But then again, look at our president and his actions. That sure isn't going to help the image of Americans. You have to realize, every country is like this with foreigners. There are a ton of people like this in the U.S. so don't think we're being picked on.

When my Mother's second husband passed away 2 years ago, she wrote a letter to his first wife, who is German and lives in Germany, to inform her of his passing. She wrote back, expressed her condolances, then went straight into what a horrible man President Bush was, America this, America that blah, blah, blah. I told mom not to pay any attention to her and not to cave in to this German lady's attempt to bait her into the playing the blame game. There's a ton of trash in her backyard so don't go there. So she tore up the letter and didnt respond.

I personally am against the the war in Iraq. Had a bad feeling about it from the get-go. But if this help's Europe find some common ground to unify them, then that's great. They can sit around, talk about how great they are and how we suck. At least something good has come out of this.

To the Brits: I am of British ancectory. My Father fought in the Pacific during WWII. It made my heart sad that the american's that came to GB to help in WWII made such haughty statements, layed with your women, and pretty much had an attitude. I know it's not much consolation, but I also regret our leader lied to your leader to get him to help us topple Saddam and the country of Iraq. Tony Blair is a good man and a good leader. It wasnt his fault so please don't blame him.

In closing, people are people wherever you go. Unfortunately, we are helplessly adrift in a sea of idiots.

about new yorkers. Yeah new yorkers are pretty bad when it comes to tourist. On message boards I notice they are constantly complaining about tourist (the same tourist that pump money into their city). Anyways I hate New York!

Seriously Yanks. Don't listen to the citics. You show me a country whcih hasn't got a somewhat merky past. Last time I went to America, people were falling over backwards just because I was English, they treated me with the upmost respect and courtesy and I was grateful for that.

Edited by british_patriot

It's all about politics, heck after the 1st world war and 2nd many countries resented Germans - the war wasn't their fault and many were oppossed to it, but politics determine others attitudes towards you (it's whats always reported in the media). Pre-ww1 many britians began to build an anger towards Germany due to the Arms Race - Germany were rapidly building a Navy, that would match and succeeded in matching Britian navy. (Britain had the strongest Navy in the world up until the first world war), so yeah. It comes down to politics.

Many middle-east countries obviously resent the USofA and Britain because of our involvment in the afganistan and iraq war, although we didn't really have the right to go to war in Iraq as we had no evidence of bio-weapons... but this ain't the thread for that...

about new yorkers. Yeah new yorkers are pretty bad when it comes to tourist. On message boards I notice they are constantly complaining about tourist (the same tourist that pump money into their city). Anyways I hate New York!
correction: you hate NYC ;)

I won't go to Europe. Unless I am forced to (at gunpoint).

Really? Have you ever been there?

In my experience there are the same ratio of idiots to nice people everywhere that I have been.

[...]

There is enough reason for anyone to be mad at our government and I understand that. If somebody doesn't have the sense to know the difference between a person and their government, then they are an idiot and you have to take what they say with a grain of salt.

I definately agree.