Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman dies after water contest

UM-Bot

user posted image rA Californian woman who took part in a water-drinking contest to win a video game system has died of water intoxication, tests have shown. Jennifer Strange had taken part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" game run by KDND 107.9 radio in Sacramento, which promised the winner a Nintendo Wii.

A work colleague said Ms Strange had reported her head was hurting hours after the contest and was going home. Ms Strange, 28, was found dead on Friday at her house in Rancho Cordova.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• truethat

• glynne64

• Maaatt

Most odd. Shows that anything can kill, really, then, doesn't it?

Wonder how the intoxication actually happens? What's the physical result of drinking too much water? Kidney failure, I would imagine???

Most odd. Shows that anything can kill, really, then, doesn't it?

Wonder how the intoxication actually happens? What's the physical result of drinking too much water? Kidney failure, I would imagine???

When you drink too much water too fast, when you expell the water it also flushes out the electrolytes in your body. When you lose so much electrolytes your body doesn't take kindly to that and starts to react. Everything from headaches, vomiting, seizures and death.

I bet a bottle or two of gatorade might have saved this woman's life if she had just drank them.

Hmm my father told me about this one...she must have been really desperate for it.

Strange to think that they went through all that pain just to get a $400 dollar game system...

I hope that her family gets a wii in colsolation...though I guess that she wins now

I don't think that anyone else can beat her "hold your wee" record- forever is a long time

I was watching a show on one of the health channels (not sure which channel really.) A pledge died from the same thing (water intoxication) after drinking as much water as he could from a 5 gallon jug.. then had to do as many push ups as he could.. his mother sued the members who made him do this, I think the main two who thought of the idea got 10 yrs for manslaughter.. or something like that. Personally.. I don't think I could push my body, to drink that much. Unfortunately it's amazing what people will do to avoid paying for something.

if I were the guy that Did win, would give it to her family.

don't think they should be able to sue.

Moderation in all things and Don't Hold It In. You can hurt yourself.

I was watching a show on one of the health channels (not sure which channel really.) A pledge died from the same thing (water intoxication) after drinking as much water as he could from a 5 gallon jug.. then had to do as many push ups as he could.. his mother sued the members who made him do this, I think the main two who thought of the idea got 10 yrs for manslaughter.. or something like that. Personally.. I don't think I could push my body, to drink that much. Unfortunately it's amazing what people will do to avoid paying for something.

It use to be a form of torture, and many endurance sports people also suffer from it as well...

I wouldn't...with all the money that they would get from the law suit, don't you think that they would by one theirselves?

I mean, you earned it

I'm not a fan of frivolous law suits but I think her family should sue them like mad. Its their responsibility when hosting this contest to be sure its safe. A quick google or check with a doctor would have prevented this. If she had eaten a tablespoon of salt she probably wouldn't have died. Ridiculous negligence on their part.

This happened two days ago and when I heard about it I was shocked that such a thing could happen. Two things scare me about this: 1) that such a thing can possibly happen (the body is 70% water), and 2), that it happens so often there's actually a term for it.

This is very scary. I knew too much water was bad but I never knew that it was that bad...

The family should definately sue the station for every penny they have and still get the Wii...

Hmm my father told me about this one...she must have been really desperate for it.

Strange to think that they went through all that pain just to get a $400 dollar game system...

I hope that her family gets a wii in colsolation...though I guess that she wins now

I don't think that anyone else can beat her "hold your wee" record- forever is a long time

Actually its only $250, she was trying to win it for her kids, because they are so hard to find right now

I'm not a fan of frivolous law suits but I think her family should sue them like mad. Its their responsibility when hosting this contest to be sure its safe. A quick google or check with a doctor would have prevented this. If she had eaten a tablespoon of salt she probably wouldn't have died. Ridiculous negligence on their part.

I agree. I hate all of these ridiculous law suits that hit the news every other day, but this competition was pretty damn stupid. It's amazing that they managed to actually go through with it without being stopped by anyone at all, I thought it would've been common knowledge that drinking so much water is harmful.

Shouldn't they have had to consult a doctor before actually hosting the competition, anyway?

Another one of those stupid contests. They'll probably get more publicity for it now. I think I heard of a competition where whoever could stare at a certain part of a van for the longest would win the van. Sue away, my dear friends, is what I would recommend. :tu:

This happened two days ago and when I heard about it I was shocked that such a thing could happen. Two things scare me about this: 1) that such a thing can possibly happen (the body is 70% water), and 2), that it happens so often there's actually a term for it.

I agree. When I heard about it, I thought ot was really strange and didn't know it was possible.

what on earth was she thinking entering a stupid competition like that anyway. She should have thought of her responsibility to her kids first, not to get them a luxury.

And of course stupid to hold such a competition in the first place <_<

Water intoxication is a very real occurance and isn't that rare. I can't believe they got away with letting such a contest even take place in the first place!

When I read that on the news site... I thought.. "My gods, what a bunch of idiots..." and I still think that.

Oh yeah sure, she was trying to win a stupid game system for her kids and ended up killing herself for it. How sad. Now the kids have to live with the fact that their mother was a moron and risked her health and life for a wii. Which they never got anyways. And the station people are morons for holding such a dangerous contest. "HIYUCK! We didn't know that people could die from drinking to much water and not going to the bathroom!" Hey dumb... flipps... research is your friend. If you took maybe the hour it would have to either call a doctor or use WebMD to find out if something like this is safe or not, this woman *might* still be alive today.

Crap like this makes me even more cynical and disgusted.

Obviously she wasn't aware of the possible repurcussions. And as with anything, you should always be informed...heII , when she started feeling bad she should hav inquired as to whether this was possibly a side effect of her little liquid endeavor.

My condolences nonetheless. :no:

What killed her was not the water that she drank!

What killed her was the amount of water she did not pee!

And that was the contest!

The contest was 'Hold your pee for a wii.'

They were given a certain amount of water every so often and the person who held their pee longest won.

If they released a full report on her autopsy, the bladder may have exploded and like your appendix rupturing, that is almost certain death.

How about lead poisoning? Or mercury poisoning? That is water intoxication. Lead or mercury in the water.

The brain does have an 'oxygen center' that will shut down the breathing if there is too much oxygen. Water is 1 part Hydrogen 2 parts oxygen.

Now, I'm wondering what the temperature of the water was. I don't buy the Hyponatremia. Hyponatremia is for athletes, that was not an athletic contest. The cells did not have enough time to absorb the water and the body cell only absorbs a certain shape of water, hexagonal.

The water was not being used in the body therefore there was no replacement of anything. She wasn't losing salt.

I think she gotta hold of some bad water.

Investigate these people! :alien:

absolutely ridicolious, where were the safety precautions. sue till you squeeze all the money out of them

The family can't. With any such contest, the contestants sign a waver of no contest exonerating the owners of any wrong doing or harm if something goes arye.

Edited by Tower Of Babel

The family can't. With any such contest, the contestants sign a waver of no contest exonerating the owners of any wrong doing or harm if something goes arye.

Contest waivers do not cover murder.

I don't buy the Hyponatremia. Hyponatremia is for athletes, that was not an athletic contest.

Athletes are at greater risk of Hyponatremia solely due to the fact that they're more likely to consume greater amounts of water, right? There isn't any physiological reason why athletes should be the only ones effected.