Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman dies after water contest

UM-Bot

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• truethat

• glynne64

• Maaatt

I think they have legal grounds for a law suit based on the fact that she complained of severe headache and no one knew that this was a bad sign. She should have been taken to the hospital the minute she complained.

What a friggin moron. I thought it was commonknowledge that you die if you drink too much water. But nope!

And this radio show should be cancelled just becasese its a hack radio show "wii for a wii"

This lady certainly died as a result of hyponatraemia. The exploding bladder theory isn't possible and I think her family would have a chance at winning a law suit against the contest organisers, as the lady probably did not have full information/understanding of the risks involved. Waivers are not watertight...pardon the pun!

The lady may also have had a pre exisiting condition that increased her risk of hyponatraemia.

This is a stupid and dangerous contest. I wonder how many other contests have gone wrong?

They can sue.

Signing a contract does not guarantee the organizer of immunity.

The person or persons that set this up have an obligation to make sure the event is safe which obviously they didn't.

That makes it negligent on their behalf and the signed contract null and void in court.

Actually its only $250, she was trying to win it for her kids, because they are so hard to find right now

^^By Avinash_Tyagi

The wiis arent hard to find, not here atleast. There were 10 wiis outside an EBGames (or maybe it was Gamespot) store the other day. So I guess it varies from place to place

Edited by Xackek

Here is what is sooo stupid, there was a case here in Chico CA about water intoxification. Matthew Carrington died as the result of drinking too much water. Again, a contest/hazing situation. This was just 2 years ago! Don't people freakin' learn?!!! :angry:

I place blame in a lot of places.

1. The radio station...couldn't they come up with a better contest? How could they not known about the possiblity of hyponatraemia when it happened so recently & only 90 miles away? What excuse does the station manager, who I'm sure had to approve this, have?

2. The woman...she had to be living under a rock not to know the story of Matthew, since his parents just got Matt's anti-hazing law signed just last Sept. Rancho Cordova is less than 15 miles from Sacramento she probably listened & watched news from there. Uh, station having the contest was Sacramento based! I know cause I watch both the local stations & ones from the Sacramento area...it was televised for several days & did go over how Matt died, the trial of the frat boys & all the rest.

3. People who knew about this contest & how it too much water can cause serious health problems, even death...but said NOTHING! Believe me, when I heard this report I said..."WTF? Don't people learn?" I would have called the station, if I heard about it before it happened, & told them...really ought to rethink it or at least have medical professionals on hand.

If I never hear of another person dying this way...it'll be too soon. :( All for a stupid game system that will be out-dated in a year or two. Sad. :no:

This woman is an idiot, imo. Could you imagine being one of her kids and thinking "yea, my mom died trying to get me a wii" :mellow:

Creepy. This is my local radio station. I have heard that drinking to much water isn't good for you, but I never heard of someone dying from it.

I've never heard that too much water is bad until this article, so don't insult her for not knowing either. In fact, i've only ever been told that you can never get enough water. If i were this woman and i saw the contest i probably wouldn't have known it was unsafe either.

So, for the people calling the lady a moron or an idiot, you know who you are, i think you're both <bad word; removed by yours truly> :)

Enjoy yourselves.

EDIT: Just can't stand people who insult others for not knowing something that really isn't that well known, and further claiming that it is.

Edited by Maaatt

I've never heard that too much water is bad until this article, so don't insult her for not knowing either. In fact, i've only ever been told that you can never get enough water. If i were this woman and i saw the contest i probably wouldn't have known it was unsafe either.

Everything has the potential to be harmful. I'm having a hard time thinking of any thing that doesn't.

i think you're both ********* :)

Enjoy yourselves.

The language filters are in place for a reason.

Whether you knew it or not, Raptor, would you have suspected water could kill you from drinking too much of it? I wouldn't have, and from what i've read, not many people know it could be fatal either. Not to mention i asked around and nobody else knew =/

Before those of you were told or found out, would you have thought drinking water could be fatal? Be honest...

Apologies for the bad word, i removed it... Just bugs me when people insult somebody that has died, and especially this since she was under the belief that it was a safe contest. Those that claim it's common knowledge are wrong, as far as i'm concerned.

I asked 36 of my MSN contacts, all from various walks of life and all are of varying ages, none suspected drinking water, or too much water, could be fatal. They didn't know. None, zero, zilch. 0 of 36 randoms that i asked. Even my parents were hard pressed to believe it, til i asked them to read the printout i made of one of the many sites i read through.

Whether you knew it or not, Raptor, would you have suspected water could kill you from drinking too much of it?

I thought it was common knowledge...

Apologies for the bad word, i removed it... Just bugs me when people insult somebody that has died, and especially this since she was under the belief that it was a safe contest. Those that claim it's common knowledge are wrong, as far as i'm concerned.
I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying it's amazing that the radio station managed to go through with it without being stopped. I always thought that every public event, no matter how harmless it seems, would have some form of medical adviser; even if only for legal purposes.

Whether you knew it or not, Raptor, would you have suspected water could kill you from drinking too much of it? I wouldn't have, and from what i've read, not many people know it could be fatal either. Not to mention i asked around and nobody else knew =/

Before those of you were told or found out, would you have thought drinking water could be fatal? Be honest...

That's not really the point, any doctor should have been able to see the risk, and the event hosts should have made sure they consulted one.

I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying it's amazing that the radio station managed to go through with it without being stopped. I always thought that every public event, no matter how harmless it seems, would have some form of medical adviser; even if only for legal purposes.

That's not really the point, any doctor should have been able to see the risk, and the event hosts should have made sure they consulted one.

Yep, i agree!

But to the name-callers; I feel this lady was misinformed, and shouldn't be insulted since i haven't found anybody yet, among the people i know and have randomly asked, who have heard of the danger of too much water. Just saying i think it's wrong to insult her for trusting the contest to be safe...

Yep, i agree!

But to the name-callers; I feel this lady was misinformed, and shouldn't be insulted since i haven't found anybody yet, among the people i know and have randomly asked, who have heard of the danger of too much water. Just saying i think it's wrong to insult her for trusting the contest to be safe...

I agree. And if it was common knowledge I doubt very much that the radio show would have had this contest. Its not like it was a Russian Roulette contest....

Its a tragic waste of a human life.

Mental note to self: dont enter stupid contests :mellow:

So, for the people calling the lady a moron or an idiot, you know who you are, i think you're both <bad word; removed by yours truly>

So you somehow thought drinking 2 gallons of water and not going to the bathroom wouldn't kill you?

and also, this happens all the time in fraternities in college. Almost every year theres a news story like this.

and also, this happens all the time in fraternities in college. Almost every year theres a news story like this.

That is the point I was trying to get across! I did NOT say it was common knowledge, that is why people who know NEED to speak up! That is why I mentioned that it was just in my (& hers) local news, that a law had just been passed & all the rest. And I have to agree this type of death pops up pretty frequently...more frequently than it should!

Note: The local authorities are launching criminal investigation into her death.. Most everyone, if not everyone, involved in the radio contest has been fired. Something creepy: Caller warned station of probable risks during show!!! :blink::blink: