Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man's phone spontaneously combusts

UM-Bot

mobilephone.jpg
A cell phone in the front pocket of a Vallejo man's pants spontaneously combusted, quickly ignited his clothes and left the man with second- and third-degree burns across at least half his body, according to investigators.

Luis Picaso, 59, was apparently sleeping on a white, all-plastic lawn chair in his room late Saturday night and was awakened as he was ablaze, said Vallejo Fire Department investigator and spokesman Bill Tweedy.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: sfgate.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shuriken

• vlanos

• Akidenko

• glynne64

Maybe someone just flamed him via text...

sorry bad joke.

How horrible for the guy though. He wasn't even doing something wrong.

Edited by when.i.am.queen.

Thats strange.. If it was just a sort of electrical problem in the mobile phone, leading to a severe accident of a man then its an exceptionally rare case.

I have my kids' phones set to do that whenever they go over their limit. wink2.gif

good one lol...

Edited by Shuriken

That poor man. I feel bad for him. Although accidents like this are rare, they do happen.

I hope he gets better. From now on, I'm not sleeping anywhere near a cell phone.

Wow.. talk about being burned by your phone and it's coverage....

OR!

Talk about having one hot phone!

Edited by SilverCougar

I have my kids' phones set to do that whenever they go over their limit. ;)

Hahaha.

Poor guy though.

first i hear they can give you cancer now they can fry you up. :) nice

Badly made or counterfeit cell phone batteries caused an unprecedented number of injuries in the United States in 2004. About a dozen people were seriously hurt by overheating cell phone batteries that exploded or launched shrapnel that burned at 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Handset makers and operators later in the year began to sharpen battery standards.

LINK->The cellular explosion

I found this non-news (at least I hope it's not real news) take on cell phone battery explosions quite hilarious...

The United Nations 'World Birth Control Organization' (WBCO) is hailing Chinese cell phone battery manufacturer Kilayangi for devising the most effective and indiscriminate means of obtaining zero world population growth. In 2004, Kilayangi was named as the defendant in the deaths of 308 people due to exploding cell phone batteries. Investigators demonstrated how Kilayangi batteries could explode and decapitate a cell phone user if the battery was used continuously for more than 10 minutes at a time. As a result the company was found guilty and ordered to recall more than 22M batteries and pay the family of each victim $44M. The company appealed the verdict and was awaiting a new trial when WBCO intervened on their behalf.

LINK->Cell Phone Battery Explosions Hailed As Population Control Device - Recall Cancelled

Edited by Pax Unum

I watched MythBusters when they tried to see if a cell phone could cause any sort of spark. In their case they were trying to see if it was a hazard to use around gas pumps. They never could get a spark, evidently there isn't enough static or "electricity" to create such a thing. Now, I'm not saying that refurbished or ones made under questionable practices might not cause a problem. Or if the battery has been modified...al a Tool Time...wouldn't have questionable results. ;)

Also in reading & watching the news report about it, I have my doubts. I, too, believe that if the cell phone did short out & cause a fire, why does it still work? Everything I've ever seen short out & cause fire is toasted! How do you think fire dept. find where some fires originate? A electrical outlet that shorts out...does not work! So why would a cell phone be any different? :hmm:

Perhaps the guy did something stupid. Did what he could to cover it up. Put the blame on a cell manufacturer in hopes of maybe, just maybe, getting some $$$! I am not saying he did...just that it's possible.

Believe me, I honestly wish that some cell phone would burst into flame! Like the ones of jerks who sit in a restruant talking loud enough for everyone to hear or my neighbor who stand outside his door & screams into his. :angry2: Or the ones who try to drive, eat & yak all at the same time. Like the guy I was driving next to yesterday! Here he is in his brand new BMW, yakking on his cell phone, changing lanes (w/out signaling) & trying to put on his seatbelt all while eating Taco Bell!! Talk about multi-tasking!! :wacko: Perhaps if he keeps driving like that he'll be in the 2007 edition of the Darwin Awards! <_<

I watched MythBusters when they tried to see if a cell phone could cause any sort of spark. In their case they were trying to see if it was a hazard to use around gas pumps. They never could get a spark, evidently there isn't enough static or "electricity" to create such a thing. Now, I'm not saying that refurbished or ones made under questionable practices might not cause a problem. Or if the battery has been modified...al a Tool Time...wouldn't have questionable results. ;)

Also in reading & watching the news report about it, I have my doubts. I, too, believe that if the cell phone did short out & cause a fire, why does it still work? Everything I've ever seen short out & cause fire is toasted! How do you think fire dept. find where some fires originate? A electrical outlet that shorts out...does not work! So why would a cell phone be any different? :hmm:

Perhaps the guy did something stupid. Did what he could to cover it up. Put the blame on a cell manufacturer in hopes of maybe, just maybe, getting some $$$! I am not saying he did...just that it's possible.

Believe me, I honestly wish that some cell phone would burst into flame! Like the ones of jerks who sit in a restruant talking loud enough for everyone to hear or my neighbor who stand outside his door & screams into his. :angry2: Or the ones who try to drive, eat & yak all at the same time. Like the guy I was driving next to yesterday! Here he is in his brand new BMW, yakking on his cell phone, changing lanes (w/out signaling) & trying to put on his seatbelt all while eating Taco Bell!! Talk about multi-tasking!! :wacko: Perhaps if he keeps driving like that he'll be in the 2007 edition of the Darwin Awards! <_<

Read the article Akidenko posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this just proves my theory that mobile phones are pointless and even dangerous! Still, I feel sorry for the guy. If he'd stuck with a simple desk phone, this wouldn't have happened.

What was he doing passed out in a chair with his phone in his pocket? Drunk?

Who goes to sleep with his cell phone on his person?

Investigators ruled out the phone as a cause. Another case of Spontaneous Human Combustion I guess then. :lol: