Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tree Orbs?

Dakoda

I have very little conception about this theory, which is why I'd like to ask if anyone has any information knowledge, or links about tree orbs; apparently, trees have souls/spirits which emerge from within their tree trunks (or roots) during the night, and float around their branches. I can't quite remeber from whom or where I heard/ read about this theory, but it may be an explanation to why people may believe that a certain forest is haunted by "ghosts."  :sd

• Haha 1

In folklaw and myth there are two different types, they are:

Will 'o the wisps are gas lights that emanate from the roots of old trees, probably due to fungus on the roots, they are seen at night when the escaping heat makes the gas released from these ignite, they follow you along due to the fact that as you walk the movement of the legs makes the air currents move with you  and the lights are drawn along by the wind.

Dryads or Woodwoses, are tree spirits, they live in the trees, and live as long as the tree does, they are usually benign and only attack if they are provoked or you go and cut down the tree, there are a number of carvings around the more rural parts of England on houses that look like these.

There is an old chinese story concerning tree spirits:

When Lu Ch'ien bought a haunted house, he decided to get rid of the ghosts himself.  One night he was woken by a letter being thrust through the window.  It came from a spectre calling itself Commander Willow.  

The message said that ghosts had lived in the house for a year and threatened to kill Lu if he stayed.  A ghost suddenly appeared, but it vanished when Lu fired an arrow at it leaving behind a gourd, that it had been holding.  

A few days later the spectre returned and Lu's servant shot at it.  This time the ghost was hit in the chest and it ran off, leaving a trail of footprints to show which way it had gone.  

Lu followed the footprints to the base of a huge willow tree, and found an arrow stuck in its trunk.  The spectre had been a tree spirit, and Lu chopped it down to burn as fuel in his now unhaunted house.  

• 9 years later...

Would be cool if someone caught a tree orb on camera

How much people take pictures all around the world during daylight and night involving trees and forests and not a single claimed to be "tree orb" picture comes in my mind. But if there was, there might be bugs around trees, moisture, dust and everything that creates orb with camera flash.

So tree orb is only a story.

• Like 2

A 9 year old story at that.

A 9 year old story at that.

Me knows good. I only answered so Blues Girl doesn't concider anything as silly as tree spirits.

• Like 1

Me knows good. I only answered so Blues Girl doesn't concider anything as silly as tree spirits.

I wasn't actually considering them as a real thing. I just thought it would be cool if they did exist, it would be interesting to see if the orbs looked the same as human orbs.

• 7 years later...
27 minutes ago, Jasa said:

This photo I just took had me searching about possibility of tree orbs... 

Post the photo, we might be able to help you figure out what’s going on.

On 6/21/2011 at 4:14 PM, Blues Girl said:

Would be cool if someone caught a tree orb on camera

I have photos somewhere from a meeting I went to where the presenter had us all outside after dark taking pictures of the trees.  We got a lot of orbs.  I don't know what box those pictures are in.  It was before 2005 but I can't remember exactly when.

On 6/21/2011 at 10:54 PM, Chagidiel said:

How much people take pictures all around the world during daylight and night involving trees and forests and not a single claimed to be "tree orb" picture comes in my mind. But if there was, there might be bugs around trees, moisture, dust and everything that creates orb with camera flash.

So tree orb is only a story.

Not a single photo that you have heard about.  I have heard about a lot and seen some.

On 6/22/2011 at 7:19 AM, Blues Girl said:

I wasn't actually considering them as a real thing. I just thought it would be cool if they did exist, it would be interesting to see if the orbs looked the same as human orbs.

The orbs may or may not be evidence of tree spirits.  It could be something else since those kinds of orbs show up inside where there aren't any trees also.

• Haha 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

You do realize that you're respond to someone who probably won't be back and it's from 2011. 

I do now.  Someone else revived the thread and I was looking for something "new to me".  :lol:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I do now.  Someone else revived the thread and I was looking for something "new to me".  :lol:

If I post a necromancy meme. Yeah, it was a corpse to start with.:tu:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If I post a necromancy meme. Yeah, it was a corpse to start with.:tu:

That's when I got a clue and went back to look at dates, when I saw your meme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

That's when I got a clue and went back to look at dates, when I saw your meme.

I even have a thread dedicated to the subject of necroposting.

• Haha 1

dead thread..hum whers its orbs?

i wouldnt be true to my form if i didnt spew, orbs prove zero, my house and yard is full of such camera artifacts.

Edited by the13bats

Last month I could have haunted this dead thread with pictures as it was high firefly season here and they were all up in the magnolias this May like I have never seen before here. It was nearly almost like holiday lights as many as were there on a couple of nights. It was extremely impressive as utterly dark as it is out here and was a real delight to get to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apart from the the necroposting issue, there are literally hundreds of threads here, a good Wiki and all sorts of information is out there about camera 'orbs'.  Now that we have cameras with digital sensors, flashes/led lights very close to the lens, wide-ish lenses, and small-ish apertures... they MUST happen.

I've yet to see an orb that wasn't fully explainable.  Photographers understand them.  Paranormal claimants misrepresent them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3