Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WWGD?

Paranoid Android

I've lost count of the times in recent times that I've read on these boards phrases prefaced with "God wouldn't do that, he'd do *insert text here*", or "If God exists, he'd do *insert text here*". This is a question for all people, regardless of religious persuasion (or non-religious persuasion). On what basis do you make assertions that God (or god/gods/higher powers - we need not limit this to a Christian vs everything else debate) would act a certain way (or perhaps has acted a certain way). What makes you say god/gods/higher powers would create the world in a certain manner that makes sense to you. And conversely, what makes you say/believe that God or the gods would NOT act in certain ways. Where are the boundaries between personal opinion, logical deduction, and religious text, and how do they relate to each other to form the categorical statement "God would/would not act like this"?

Happy debating :)

Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoddessWhispers

• chaostrom

• Paranoid Android

• Heebrow

Top Posters In This Topic

As is with most public forums, open discussion or exchange in ideas is usually the idea. However in this case, I for one when am exchanging hypothesis regarding the idea of God will purposely state beforehand "in my opinion" or at least "i think."

I'm not sure of any examples where people have claimed to know what God would do or how would act in a certain situation.

Upon further thought, in using a non-personally-biased claimed scenario that God would not be impressed in that is clearly wrongdoing of another's well-being, then i think it is safe to make presumptions as to how God would react to such a negative scenario simply because any whole-hearted person will KNOW it is wrong to ill-fate another's well-being for example.

Other than that if one makes claims as to know or say exactly how "God" of all indiviudals used would react to another kind of scenario simply when theres ego involved or a non-rational scenario, then thats usually seen as a broad statement and simply dismissed as heresay no?

Edited by Heebrow

No one knows the ultimate purpose behind it all... there might not even be a purpose that was initiated through conscious means. We as humans make God what we want it to be because it is the only way we can comprehend it. The scriptures, as helpful as they may be to many, are only man's interpretations of what they think is 'God's will'. God is made out to be a 'he', denoting that 'he' is like us... its a way of connecting to something not understandable. I personally believe you should not put your total faith in what is written down by someone about God (including what I write). Have faith in what you believe inside. If you go around saying-- "God should do this for people, should do this for me, why does he do this..."--- then you probably aren't going to be happy in life. That's why it is simple for me to believe that God is everything, anything that can happen will happen... to me or to you. It is all there, ready to be engaged with. Interactions can bring about desired results, but yet ultimately I believe it is random in nature. So if something unexpected or tragic happens, don't blame God, just accept that many things are beyond control. Our actions are controllable, yet the results aren't always. Be good and honest to people, and these things will also come your way. And the opposite is true. What you put forth, you shall also receive.

Well, if god made humans in his (or "Our") image, and then lets them do what ever they want because he knows what they're going to do, and humans are still made in that image of god, bearing that mantel of sin from birth, one might ask WGLLT!? What's god look like today? Given all that are made in his image and likeness, and thanks to the serpent and Eve, are like him in knowledge (eating of that fruit of that tree of Gnosis/knowledge), making them like god in that respect. What they know, is but what god knows. So given all that humans have done, with that god knowledge, how do we look to this day, as we reflect that likeness, that image of god!?

What would god do!? Well if he was god, one would think he would love his children more than to damn them from the time they were born, and then put a barrier between himself and them, for all their earthly days. Because he's still mad! At Eve, for making a choice, after god made the choice to put that tree in paradise. Where, the forbidden and the damnable source of damnations fruit, was allowed to flourish , so as to later be eaten, by the god that let it be there. Because being god, he made it to be all that it was. Including that damnable fruit that was of it.

WWGD!? Record shows, create, damn, punish.

And to think the old Devil has a bad reputation, for being the exact opposite of that!? :w00t:

I always ask myself "What would Spider-man do?" which usually works out well...except that one time where I decided to fight an octopus at the zoo.

As is with most public forums, open discussion or exchange in ideas is usually the idea. However in this case, I for one when am exchanging hypothesis regarding the idea of God will purposely state beforehand "in my opinion" or at least "i think."

I'm not sure of any examples where people have claimed to know what God would do or how would act in a certain situation.

Upon further thought, in using a non-personally-biased claimed scenario that God would not be impressed in that is clearly wrongdoing of another's well-being, then i think it is safe to make presumptions as to how God would react to such a negative scenario simply because any whole-hearted person will KNOW it is wrong to ill-fate another's well-being for example.

Other than that if one makes claims as to know or say exactly how "God" of all indiviudals used would react to another kind of scenario simply when theres ego involved or a non-rational scenario, then thats usually seen as a broad statement and simply dismissed as heresay no?

A way presented in the bible implies that god is some brilliant "glory of light" . How man sets examples for his newborn for behavior upbringings would be an example of a simular "guiding light". All men are different with a independent mind which separates themselves. The most probable question of God should be asked 'how would God expect us to 'act' if God was our "father" [or guilding light]. Unlike something already created, could something that was created by a "higher god" [and in it's image ] find a real answer of 'what would -the creator- do?

We have only one frame of reference when it comes to the motivations of a god, the human mind. Sure we have all these concepts of divine word, inspired word, and what not; but when it comes down to asking the questions about the nature of a divine being it's just speculation and interpretation. It is in our nature to interpret the universe in a manner that makes the most sense to us so we tend to look at gods in terms of ourselves.

I suppose if you believe that we are created in the image of gods, then it would be easy to infer that our minds must also be created in that image. So the best way to understand a god would be to know thyself.

The idea that has always interested me is that we assume what we do know about gods is correct. Cosider this, if you were a god, or at least a being trying to pass yourself off as one, would you let your worshippers know your weaknesses or would you make them think you are omnipotent and immortal?

When I have made assumptions regarding the motivations of a deity I have tried to stick to what I consider a logical, rational perspective guided by what I might know of the tenets of the religion under debate. However I cannot help by be biased towards my own moral/ethical framework.

As others have stated, in most of the major religions there is a commutative property between humanity and the religions' deity (created in gods' image, we are all part of the universal mind/one etc) so there is some reason to suppose the deity is like us in form or mind. From there it is a case of imagination.

Frankly I think it is more honest to assume a deity, so interested in our welfare and possibly either our creator or creation, has some likeness to us rather than parrot a 'the mind of god is unknowable' cop-out.

Interesting Question.

In my view God allows the free will humans to make choices that may or may not take into consideration the mind of God on a certain matter. So as a free will human, I may well ask myself what is my most appropriate choice for any given situation before me. I tend to ask my higher self that question. It is my understanding that this Self does know the mind of God and is in tune with All things.

I suspect the Mind of God is the collective understanding of all Higher Selves both human and Elsewhere(ET's, Angels, etc).

Therefore a better question may well be, what is our best choice as it apperars God leaves these things to us.

Edited by John A Spera

fleh... "WWSCD?"

She would say "Meh..." open a bottle of rum, plop onto something comfortable and watch all the silly pointless forum debates. That's what she would do! XD

WWGD...? Well, on the assumption there is one, all evidence points to said deity sitting on the proverbial ass and watching the world go round, so to speak :D

(I'm back! Anyone miss me? Not likely on a forum as big as this :P)

Edited by chaostrom

Actually, I can't say I know who you are, so to have known you were missed. But I do say the first impression is spot on. :lol: You're the meek sedate type. I love that! :tu::P

Actually, I can't say I know who you are, so to have known you were missed. But I do say the first impression is spot on. :lol:You're the meek sedate type. I love that! :tu::P

Can't say I know what that means. I'll take it as a compliment :P

well, given the number of deities that have been portrayed over the years, if there is such a creature with such awesome abilities, I would tend to think that it wouldn't even notice us anymore than we are conscious of bacteria floating about.

We may "know" they are there, but haven't the awareness of them that is attributed to the various gods.