Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hurricane in europe in january?

carini

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• Clobhair-cean

• Essan

• Mattshark

Top Posters In This Topic

^According to Wikipedia, there have been over 13 'European windstorms' in the past 10 years alone.

Not really unusual at all.

It is more than unusual. Its a huge supercell, as far as I know, and its heading towards my location. Its after midnight, the middle of january, and its freaking 18,5C in Vienna and 12C here in Budapest (and going up) + the air pressure is under 1000 hPa and falling. It is not supposed to be as strong as it was in the North, but its still huge. We expect 90-120 kph, but no-one knows for sure. We had a similar one in August, it came in the middle of Nationwide celebrations, with 1 million+ people on the streets of this city, fortunately only 3 people were killed, but it could have been much worse. Still, global warming is not happening, this is perfectly normal (in Oklahoma. In the summer). I think I'll juts go to sleep and hope that I'll still have a roof when I wake up :)

Raptor X7: there has been 13, but look at the years: 1953-1961-1962-1962-1968-1974-1987-1989-1990-1990-1992-1994-1997-1998-1998-1998-1999-1999-2004-2005-2005-2006-2006-2007-2007-2007

The gaps are shortening. There have been 3 such storms in 18 days! (of course with this one, which is not on Wikipedia)

Edited by Clobhair-cean

It has been right windy down my way as well, but I like it, blown some of the cobwebs away!

Raptor X7: there has been 13, but look at the years: 1953-1961-1962-1962-1968-1974-1987-1989-1990-1990-1992-1994-1997-1998-1998-1998-1999-1999-2004-2005-2005-2006-2006-2007-2007-2007

The gaps are shortening. There have been 3 such storms in 18 days! (of course with this one, which is not on Wikipedia)

I believe all the storms that have occured this month so far have been part of the same weather system, they shouldn't really be treated as isolated incidences. Also you need to take account that there are going to be lots of storms from recent decades that wouldn't be included as they would've been essentially forgotten, nowadays with the internet, the moment an event takes place there's always someone waiting to post it.

I believe all the storms that have occured this month so far have been part of the same weather system, they shouldn't really be treated as isolated incidences. Also you need to take account that there are going to be lots of storms from recent decades that wouldn't be included as they would've been essentially forgotten, nowadays with the internet, the moment an event takes place there's always someone waiting to post it.

I doubt the single-system claim, but I have no sources against it (nor any for it), and I'm not a meteorologist. Still, I'm pretty sure of these dates, its rather hard to 'forget' a storm that big, ant the boffins surely record everything that happened.

At the end of the day, the storm was weakened by the Alps and did not hit that hard here.

I thought it was a bit windy when my satelite dish snaped off.

Nothing unusual about this storm whatsoever. It wasn't as damaging (in the UK) as the Burns Day Storm of 1990, wind speeds came nowhere close to the 140mph+ recorded on 13th February 1989 and only 2 years back we had a storm with sustained wind speeds (not gusts) in excess of 90mph.

Admittedly the latter only hit the NW of the British Isles, and therefore yesterday's storm will go down as being the worst for 17 years.

and the boffins surely record everything that happened.

Right, and what's to say that they're going to put all of the records on Wikipedia?

I mean the reason there are more articles on the recent storms, is because lots of people have access to the internet now, the moment there's an event there will be dozens of people ready to write an article about it; however there's going to be nowhere near as many people digging out textbooks and looking at old records to write a new article about a storm that occurred 30 years ago that no one cares about. So they will be left out.

Edited by Raptor X7

It has been right windy down my way as well, but I like it, blown some of the cobwebs away!

I loved it also. But the sad thing is 3 people have been killed by it.

This winter so far has been far winder with storms than what has been for a while, can just tell and compare from the bouts of local damage.

There's another storm coming in now and the wind has started to get going :yes:

Edited by Anvil

I was watching about this on the news over here in US - freaky winds! They showed a video of a big jet coming in for a landing rocking like a see-saw. Scary!