Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WINTER TO COME "WITH A VENGEANCE"

receivingendofsirens

WINTER TO COME "WITH A VENGEANCE"

Prolonged Period of Cold and Stormy Weather Appears on the Way

(State College, PA - January 8, 2007) - The unseasonably warm winter experienced by much of the country is likely to "turn on a dime," in the words of AccuWeather.com Chief Long-Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi.

Bastardi said that the weather pattern from mid-January through mid-February has a chance to mimic the winters of 1965-66 and 1957-58, each of which ended cold and stormy after a warm start. A worst-case scenario would be if this winter plays out as did the winter of 1977-1978.

Similar to this year, 1977-1978 was a winter with a waning El Nino. After a tepid start, the second half of the winter was noted for its cold and remarkable storminess, including back-to-back-to-back blizzards in the Northeast.

"Those who think that winter 2006-2007 is going to remain mild are in for a shock," said Bastardi. "Winter is likely to come with a vengeance. A week from now, we'll start seeing truly cold air across much of the country, and we expect this change to last."

Added Bastardi, "Whether we end up with seasonably cold weather, or something far worse, remains to be seen. There are indications that this winter could parallel severe winters of the past. Even should we not see an extremely cold and snowy conclusion to winter, you can be sure that by the end of the month, when those in the Northeast are shoveling out their driveways and sidewalks, the mild weather we're experiencing now will be a distant memory."

Where Will Winter Go From Here?

The first signs of change will be noticed this week. A passing shot of cold air will knock temperatures down to typical January levels in the northeastern part of the country for a few days. Temperatures will return to unseasonably warm levels by the latter part of week and last into early next week. The seeds for the more-lasting change, however, will be planted in the western part of the country.

Arctic air from western Canada will pour southward into the Pacific Northwest, northern Rockies, and northern Plains this week, and this will mark the beginning of a true winter weather pattern that will encompass much of the nation over the next couple of weeks. The core of the coldest air by the latter part of the week will be centered in the Rockies and northern Plains, and the arrival of the cold air will mean another round of accumulating snow for Denver later this week.

The cold air will slowly push southward and eastward from this weekend into early next week and will likely arrive in the eastern part of the country by the middle of next week. Much of the nation will then have a cold weather pattern for the second half of the month.

Long-range forecasting expert Bastardi points out that it's too early to say with certainty that the change in the weather pattern will be long-lasting or produce heavy amounts of snow. However, he believes that if the weather pattern reaches its full potential, the dramatic change from warmth to cold could result in "one of the top-five coldest 30-day stretches in the past half century."

Source

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/pressroom.asp?pr=wx_258.htm

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• receivingendofsirens

• liokee

• m. Moe

Top Posters In This Topic

"Arctic air from western Canada will pour southward into the Pacific Northwest, northern Rockies, and northern Plains this week, and this will mark the beginning of a true winter weather pattern that will encompass much of the nation over the next couple of weeks. The core of the coldest air by the latter part of the week will be centered in the Rockies and northern Plains, and the arrival of the cold air will mean another round of accumulating snow for Denver later this week."

This is my weather for the next couple weeks and it looks like it's going to be pretty darn nice for awhile. I will admit we get chinook after chinook which means nice warm temps here in Calgary oh it's nice to be close to the rockies. All temps are in Celsius.

this is a chinook

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/inter/hel...ges/chinook.htm

Lately we have been getting so many chinook's it's amazing how nice our winters are

this is a pic of a chinook arch

http://www.pbase.com/turnstyle/image/33980504

http://theweathernetwork.com/weather/14day...49.htm?CAAB0049

Damn though Denver is getting it. Texas is getting it(snow) the mid west, the east coast

yea thats for sure... i live in ohio and it was 60 degrees on sunday and now its like 20ish if not cooler right now.... im telling ya the northern hemisphere will be seeing very cold conditions soon.... especially with the solar cycle coming ahead

was extremely low in Arizona. Its Arizona! Its not supposed to be cold >"< On Saturday through Wednesday it was really cold, felt like 20's (we set record lows). And its not northern AZ either, the southernpart.

Oh poo, I hate the cold.

was extremely low in Arizona. Its Arizona! Its not supposed to be cold >"< On Saturday through Wednesday it was really cold, felt like 20's (we set record lows). And its not northern AZ either, the southernpart.

I saw on the news that Texas was getting snow, man thats nuts, and florida just had a good cold snap. Hmmm I must build a resort in Calgary, get the people comming up here to spend the winter LOL

haha see now thats odd...

honey lets move to calgary get your swimsuits and tanning reflectors we gonna burn baby!!!!!

Edited by receivingendofsirens

haha see now thats odd...

honey lets move to calgary get your swimsuits and tanning reflectors we gonna burn baby!!!!!

Hell ya bring your swim suits, we have the Banff springs hot springs 45 min away, and damn I have been skiing and have been burnt bad. One christmas I was able to wear shorts and a tee shirt on the deck and have a cold one, I think it was about 24 C. Ok yaya it can get pretty cold sometimes no doubt.

Had to ask are you from the U.K.? whats a tanning reflector look like lol

Edited by The Silver Thong

still havnt sold me on your resort aboot warm weather lol

couldnt resist the canadian goof haha

or a hot box maybe? haha that thing thats like a big piece of aluminum foil that reflects light

hence " tanning reflector"

nope from ohio

we dont get out much i know

still havnt sold me on your resort aboot warm weather lol

couldnt resist the canadian goof haha

We have some of the best resorts in the world here in the Rockies, ok not well known for the warmth, but hey when George Bush was here for the G8 he even said it was hot LOL

Did you just call me a Canadian goof hahahaha

or a hot box maybe? haha that thing thats like a big piece of aluminum foil that reflects light

hence " tanning reflector"

nope from ohio

we dont get out much i know

:lol: You go outside and sit in an aluminum box :wacko: hehe kidding you are to funny. Opp's I think we are going way off topic. Smartin up :P

yea just a bit lol

but if you like to read about events like this go to www.iceagenow.com

the guy is very informative about everything is really going on in the world and about an ice age instead of this "Global Warming" and the earth will be set abalze

"Arctic air from western Canada will pour southward into the Pacific Northwest, northern Rockies, and northern Plains this week, and this will mark the beginning of a true winter weather pattern that will encompass much of the nation over the next couple of weeks. The core of the coldest air by the latter part of the week will be centered in the Rockies and northern Plains, and the arrival of the cold air will mean another round of accumulating snow for Denver later this week."

This is my weather for the next couple weeks and it looks like it's going to be pretty darn nice for awhile. I will admit we get chinook after chinook which means nice warm temps here in Calgary oh it's nice to be close to the rockies. All temps are in Celsius.

this is a chinook

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/inter/hel...ges/chinook.htm

Lately we have been getting so many chinook's it's amazing how nice our winters are

this is a pic of a chinook arch

http://www.pbase.com/turnstyle/image/33980504

http://theweathernetwork.com/weather/14day...49.htm?CAAB0049

Damn though Denver is getting it. Texas is getting it(snow) the mid west, the east coast

Does this mean they will be stuck with the cold weather now? I can't argue about that! :lol:

haha no.... just couldnt resist the "aboot"

*shakes fist at maritime provinces for starting that whole "aboot" thing*

Edited by MR_MOE

haha no.... just couldnt resist the "aboot"

:lol: I live 4000 miles away from the those goofy newfies, no offence newfoundland but thats what the rest of Canada call you, really we do, but in a very loving way. Nope, no accent here eh, hehe Hmm Ohio how far is that from Fargo ND :P

In realitive terms the earth is just really comming out of an ice age. Global warming natural or not will not set the earth "a blaze" however it will create massive deserts, no farming or agriculture. It will raise ocean levels that will flood many many parts of the coast and inland to boot. Those aluminum hut's might be required by law one day if the ozone layer gets much worse. Animal species that can't adapt to the temp change will die, fish,birds,insects they all play a role on this planet. For those that say man can adapt to this change hmmmm how will you grow crops, raise cattle ect, find fresh water. Sure some of the human species will survive but for what? A planet that can only support a bare minimum of life? a planet that won't bounce back for thousands of years? If there's a chance to minimize why not take it.

:lol: I live 4000 miles away from the those goofy newfies, no offence newfoundland but thats what the rest of Canada call you, really we do, but in a very loving way. Nope, no accent here eh, hehe Hmm Ohio how far is that from Fargo ND :P

Hey man, I live in Ontario & I get accused of saying "aboot" by Americans! I think that they think we ALL say "aboot" and "oot"... :wacko: Newfies usually get taken for Irish or Scottish by non-Canucks. Sad, but true. And just to nit-pick, I just moved back to Ontario after two years in Edmonton - there's a definite western accent, trust me! ;) I was teased mercilessly about my pronunciation of Saskatchewan... it's spelled "SaskatcheWAN" not "SaskatcheWIN", damn it! ^_^

As for the weather, it's finally cooled down here, but it was a LOT warmer than it should have been, for a long time. Honestly, I shouldn't have been able to go without any kind of hat or coat until mid-January! That's just wrong! When I left Edmonton in November, there was snow and it was freezing (-23C on the day I left!) - we didn't really get a dumping of snow in central Ontario until the last two weeks or so. It's pretty scary, not to mention sad - I LOVE winter! :(

Hey man, I live in Ontario & I get accused of saying "aboot" by Americans! I think that they think we ALL say "aboot" and "oot"... :wacko: Newfies usually get taken for Irish or Scottish by non-Canucks. Sad, but true. And just to nit-pick, I just moved back to Ontario after two years in Edmonton - there's a definite western accent, trust me! ;) I was teased mercilessly about my pronunciation of Saskatchewan... it's spelled "SaskatcheWAN" not "SaskatcheWIN", damn it! ^_^

As for the weather, it's finally cooled down here, but it was a LOT warmer than it should have been, for a long time. Honestly, I shouldn't have been able to go without any kind of hat or coat until mid-January! That's just wrong! When I left Edmonton in November, there was snow and it was freezing (-23C on the day I left!) - we didn't really get a dumping of snow in central Ontario until the last two weeks or so. It's pretty scary, not to mention sad - I LOVE winter! :(

liokee liokee, see thats the problem your from Ontario. Thats the center of the universe(bet you never heard that befor) everywhere you go your going to think there's an accent :lol: I'm Scottish and Irish and I take offense to your remarks and demand some screech :no: Saskatchewan well that's tomato, tomoto. It's tomato by the way :P As far as you living in Edmonton, I'm sorry. :D

I can remember as a kid going out for halloween, or going out to the car it was cold and I mean cold. Winters here are getting better but I think for the most part the planet will suffer weather change that will directly affect how they live, give another 10 to 15 years and London(England) will have to buy snow plows as Vancouver found out this year.

Edited by The Silver Thong

liokee liokee, see thats the problem your from Ontario. Thats the center of the universe(bet you never heard that befor) everywhere you go your going to think there's an accent :lol: I'm Scottish and Irish and I take offense to your remarks and demand some screech :no: Saskatchewan well that's tomato, tomoto. It's tomato by the way :P As far as you living in Edmonton, I'm sorry. :D

I can remember as a kid going out for halloween, or going out to the car it was cold and I mean cold. Winters here are getting better but I think for the most part the planet will suffer weather change that will directly affect how they live, give another 10 to 15 years and London(England) will have to buy snow plows as Vancouver found out this year.

LOL, I thought Toronto was the centre of the universe? :P And hey man, I'm Irish... can I get in on that Screech action too? Maybe some Poitín? ;) And as far as living in Edmonton... it was WAY worse - I actually lived in Wetaskiwin. :yes: Try to hide your jealousy!

I went out for Hallowe'en this year in Wetaskiwin with my godsons, and it was COLD and snowy (did you ever hear that joke about knowing you're in Canada for Hallowe'en, when your costume has to be big enough to fit over a snowsuit? ^_^). Back in Ontario though, people were still sunbathing! There are too many people that won't take the global warming idea seriously; they argue if a country like China isn't forced into the same protocols as our countries, what's the point? It's pathetic - people are only thinking of the lovely weather, and not the fact that we've done more damage to our ecosystem in the last 100 years than any other species.

It's SakatcheWIN. Yes I know there is a western accent, but the Americans don't bug us about that one! They bug us about the Newfie one.