Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virgin Komodo Dragons give Birth

BigDaddy_GFS

Zoo celebrates virgin birth of Komodo dragons

Mother never even exposed to males; breakthrough raises scientists’ hopes

MANCHESTER, England - A British zoo announced Wednesday the virgin birth of five Komodo dragons, giving scientists new hope for the captive breeding of the endangered species.

In an evolutionary twist, the newborns’ eight-year-old mother Flora shocked staff at Chester Zoo in northern England when she became pregnant without ever having a male partner or even being exposed to the opposite sex.

“Flora is oblivious to the excitement she has caused but we are delighted to say she is now a mum and dad,” said a delighted Kevin Buley, the zoo’s curator of lower vertebrates and invertebrates.

Evolutionary breakthrough

Other reptile species reproduce asexually in a process known as parthenogenesis. But Flora’s virginal conception, and that of another Komodo dragon earlier this year at the London Zoo, are the first time it has been documented in a Komodo dragon.

The evolutionary breakthrough could have far-reaching consequences for endangered species.

Captive breeding could ensure the survival of the world’s largest lizards, with fewer than 4,000 Komodos left in the wild.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16784022/

Immaculate conception of reptiles? Is this an omen of things to come?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaitSith

• Mattshark

• JeremyGTS

• Samael

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16784022/

Immaculate conception of reptiles? Is this an omen of things to come?

No parthenogensis is known in many reptiles, it is not unusual. I know, I have worked in Chester Zoo.

hmmm, the Christian's were right afterall, but which of the five is the messiah?

Yeah I have heard turkeys can do this too.

hmmm, the Christian's were right afterall, but which of the five is the messiah?

Yeah I have heard turkeys can do this too.

He's not the messiah, hes a very naughty varanid.

Flora’s virginal conception, and that of another Komodo dragon earlier this year at the London Zoo, are the first time it has been documented in a Komodo dragon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon#Parthenogenesis

Just saw this on the news, rushed upstairs to post it, and....curses! I'd been beaten. The babies haven't been named yet, btw. I shall pressure my parents for a trip to Chester Zoo. It's not very far away at all, as we live at the top of the Wirral peninsular and Chester is at the bottom.

And the next person to suggest that this is a heavenly omen gets an e-knuckle sandwich. It is not, it's just a natural phenomenon.

He's not the messiah, hes a very naughty varanid.

Editing Monty Python quotes ftw.

How about this for a title: 'Monty Komodo's Life of Varanus komodoensis'

Well if there's a whole species of reptiles out there that has no males and gives birth without them... it stands to reason other reptiles can as well.

Ok I will admit I have never hear of this befor, very interesting. Does this mean that some reptiles share the sexual organs of both male and female. Is this a freak of nature or can all female komodo's do this.

Edited by The Silver Thong

And the next person to suggest that this is a heavenly omen gets an e-knuckle sandwich. It is not, it's just a natural phenomenon.

I was joking! Did you forget your meds this morning?

yeah i think frogs can do this aswell hence why the raptors in jurassic park could... but thats just a movie :) those little guys are cute i want one

yeah i think frogs can do this aswell hence why the raptors in jurassic park could... but thats just a movie :) those little guys are cute i want one

Im pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong, that the raptors is Jurassic Park didn't reproduce A-sexually, but that some of them changed their sexes to reproduce.

Im pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong, that the raptors is Jurassic Park didn't reproduce A-sexually, but that some of them changed their sexes to reproduce.

You're right. Some frogs change sex when there isn't enough of the other. So if there's to many males, some will become female and vice versa. And that's why in the story, the dinos did the same thing, since they used frog dna. Wheither or not that would actually happen in the real world... remains to be seen.

ahhh wait youre right ^ they changed from female to male to reproduce either way nature is great!

beat me to it silver :nw:

Edited by JeremyGTS

ahhh wait youre right ^ they changed from female to male to reproduce either way nature is great!

beat me to it silver :nw:

Why does she get the "your right" <_<

it was to you when i posted she didnt post yet so i was pointing up at you but she must have been posting as i was sorry you were first ill start to use quotes!

There are a few species of lizards that consist of only females that give birth this way. Its just never been seen in komodo dragons or most other species of reptile. Although most species that reproduce in this way consist of only females.

"Some species of North American whiptails and European lacertid lizards have only female individuals; adult females lay unfertilized eggs that hatch only into females. "

::waits for creationist to hijack thread saying this proves evolution doesnt occur::

Edited by carini

it was to you when i posted she didnt post yet so i was pointing up at you but she must have been posting as i was sorry you were first ill start to use quotes!

Sorry, Im just grumpy :tu:

Hay! I gave you an "You're right!" ;P

And.. I'm quick and evil like that! Muhaha!

There are a few species of lizards that consist of only females that give birth this way. Its just never been seen in komodo dragons or most other species of reptile. Although most species that reproduce in this way consist of only females.

"Some species of North American whiptails and European lacertid lizards have only female individuals; adult females lay unfertilized eggs that hatch only into females. "

::waits for creationist to hijack thread saying this proves evolution doesnt occur::

I'm no creationist, mind you, but it is sort of ironic that this is being called an "evolutionary miracle"....wait, I thought miraculous virgin births couldn't happen? What? :devil:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/01/24...s.ap/index.html

I'm glad this phenomenon does NOT occur in humans! If it did, I'd be in a constant state of terror.

I'm no creationist, mind you, but it is sort of ironic that this is being called an "evolutionary miracle"....wait, I thought miraculous virgin births couldn't happen? What? :devil:

Not for human's no, but for reptiles, sure

I was joking! Did you forget your meds this morning?

No. Gibber weeble *twitchtwitch*.

Offers Mr E sympathy for living near (or possibly in) Birkenhead.

Offers Mr E sympathy for living near (or possibly in) Birkenhead.

In. It's not that bad. Just overrun with chavs.....so it IS actually that bad. There are some nice bits though.

I offer YOU sympathy for living in Liverpool, homeland of the chav.

Edited by Mister E.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/01/24...s.ap/index.html

It would have been more fun if it happened right on Christimas day as some people had hoped. Are there dragons connected to the Christimas Story? Only indirectly. To the Hellenistic culture that was the first to embrace Christianity, the greatest living man before Jesus was Alexander the Great, whose own mother told him she had been raped by a "Drakon of enormous size", who was believed to have been Zeuss. People were quick to accept this this as reason for Alexander's "greatness". Though you will seldom read this today because of how much the Bible has been changed and edited over the centuries, but the early Hellenistic Christians, were more inclined to believe Mary was "visited" by a heavenly Seraphim, who in later versions, only "told" Mary of her immaculate conception. But the pagan Greek converts fully understood the implications of this, that this was how great men were born of God. For although modern Christians have turned the Seraphim into fluffy, swan winged humanoid "angels", in the ancient first century AD it was common knowledge among Jews and Christians alike that the Seraphim were "dragons", as we know from archaeology and ancient source scriptures