Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

how old is the earth?

The_Atheist_Mind

i for one believe that the earth is around 6 billion years old. . . i havent looked it up but maybe someone else has a different opinion?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KGS3333

• Mattshark

• Raptor

• IamsSon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do you think it's 6 billion? (I'm not disagreeing, just curious)

Current estimates are at around 4.54 billion years.

I wish we could know when the earth was born, we could celebrate its birthday :D A planetery birthday :w00t:

P.S. I said something stupid, I know, it's been a long day.

I wish we could know when the earth was born, we could celebrate its birthday :D A planetery birthday :w00t:

P.S. I said something stupid, I know, it's been a long day.

from Bibleman.

All the answers are in your bible from the beging i say the earth is just a few thousands years old.

post-49098-1169656348_thumb.jpg

from Bibleman.

All the answers are in your bible from the beging i say the earth is just a few thousands years old.

Well, carbon dating from the oldest bible found is around six thousand years old. Just joking. The current era is based on the calendar which in terms that the English people know is 2007 years.

To Hindus, the world is 5109 years old.

To Hebrews, the world is 5768 years old.

To Chinese, the world is 4705 years old.

And whoever the Discordian people are, the world is 3173 years old.

The Julian day number is 2,454,125 days.

Take your pick.

it doesn't matter what calendar you go by or what religion you persue science is fact and we have proof that dinosaurs, which aren't mentioned in the bible at all, lived millions of years ago. So if thats a fact then How could the world be only a couple thousand years old? Please somebody try and disprove a fact.

from Bibleman.

I wouldn't rely on that too much.

Last I heard between 4 and 5 billion or something along that line. I could be wrong though.

it doesn't matter what calendar you go by or what religion you persue science is fact and we have proof that dinosaurs, which aren't mentioned in the bible at all, lived millions of years ago. So if thats a fact then How could the world be only a couple thousand years old? Please somebody try and disprove a fact.

they cant :rolleyes: all you are going to get is a bunch of bible spewing religious dribble. :sleepy:

The generally accepted age for the Earth and the rest of the solar system is about 4.55 billion years (plus or minus about 1%). This value is derived from several different lines of evidence.

The oldest rocks which have been found so far (on the Earth) date to about 3.8 to 3.9 billion years ago (by several radiometric dating methods). Some of these rocks are sedimentary, and include minerals which are themselves as old as 4.1 to 4.2 billion years. Rocks of this age are relatively rare, however rocks that are at least 3.5 billion years in age have been found on North America, Greenland, Australia, Africa, and Asia.

But this is of course according to scientists and Geologists!

~Moro

Well, one calculation has it that the Earth was created in 4004 BC, but I'm not sure this is exactly true since I don't think God intended for us to be concerned about such trivial matters. The fact of the matter is that the Earth was created; scientific evidence is leading us in this direction, not that we need such validation because we all know already that the Earth was created.

What really, really kills me is people who say "how can the Earth only be only a few thousand years old" etc. when we know that dinosaurs existed and there's no mention of them in the Bible (no mention of polar bears either, btw) seemingly forgetting that God created the Earth, meaning that all these things like fossils were created also. Whay would God do such a things? I don't know, and couldn't really care less. I don't think we're supposed to know the reason why such things were done, and to struggle to find the unknowable answer to these things is a complete waste of time. People who do preoccupy themselves with these things are really demonstrating their lack of faith, and in the end that won't do them much good any way you look at it..

KGS

Well, one calculation has it that the Earth was created in 4004 BC
Which calculation is that?

seemingly forgetting that God created the Earth

You say that like it's a fact.

I don't think we're supposed to know the reason why such things were done, and to struggle to find the unknowable answer to these things is a complete waste of time. People who do preoccupy themselves with these things are really demonstrating their lack of faith, and in the end that won't do them much good any way you look at it..

You can not be serious? How is it 'unknowable'? We do know. If people didn't 'preoccupy' themselves, the human race wouldn't have progressed beyond living in caves as hunter-gatherers.

I'm never going to be able to comprehend how people can believe the words written in books (many of which, are conflicting), over the clear cut evidence staring them in the face. How can you not see how ridiculous it is? :blink:

the earth is 4.5 billion years old and im expecting that the solar system is a tad bit older given the time it takes for a planet to form. but thats just my assumptions getting the better of me. maybe they are the same age

According to Sigmund Freud and other creationists - 6000 years.

Yeah well those people are morons, the Earth is 4.5 billion years old. They know this because they have carbon dated the oldest rocks on the globe.

Well, one calculation has it that the Earth was created in 4004 BC, but I'm not sure this is exactly true since I don't think God intended for us to be concerned about such trivial matters. The fact of the matter is that the Earth was created; scientific evidence is leading us in this direction, not that we need such validation because we all know already that the Earth was created.
Science is not leading anyone in that direction infact scientists state the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and that all the planets as well as the sun were created by a star that blew up. Essentially Earth formed from debris...

Anyone who beleives the Earth was created by the flying spaghetti monster is incredibly naive.

What really, really kills me is people who say "how can the Earth only be only a few thousand years old" etc. when we know that dinosaurs existed and there's no mention of them in the Bible (no mention of polar bears either, btw) seemingly forgetting that God created the Earth, meaning that all these things like fossils were created also. Whay would God do such a things? I don't know, and couldn't really care less. I don't think we're supposed to know the reason why such things were done, and to struggle to find the unknowable answer to these things is a complete waste of time. People who do preoccupy themselves with these things are really demonstrating their lack of faith, and in the end that won't do them much good any way you look at it..

This has to be one of the most ignorant and intellectually void posts I have ever read since I have joined these boards...Do your homework kid you might learn something.

Yeah well the bible is a work of fiction nothing more then mere fairy tales.

Plus I'm way to awesome to own a bible and not sin.

You can not be serious? How is it 'unknowable'? We do know. If people didn't 'preoccupy' themselves, the human race wouldn't have progressed beyond living in caves as hunter-gatherers.

Well, no, speculating about dinosaurs didn't cause the human race to advance beyond being "hunter gatherers". In fact, I believe that one can draw a direct connection between our current state of advancement with the fact that someone named Jesus came to this Earth about 2007 years ago. The problem is that for the last few hundred years people have been straying somewhat and placing more faith in science than in God, with the end result being such unfortunate things as industrialization, free market capitalism, atheism, world wars, nuclear and biological weapons, and global climate change. A preoccupation with trying to figure out things that we can never know the answer to, such as dinosaurs, is symptomatic of the manner in which science has in many respects screwed up our lives.

KGS

Yeah well those people are morons, the Earth is 4.5 billion years old. They know this because they have carbon dated the oldest rocks on the globe.

Science is not leading anyone in that direction infact scientists state the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and that all the planets as well as the sun were created by a star that blew up. Essentially Earth formed from debris...

Anyone who beleives the Earth was created by the flying spaghetti monster is incredibly naive.

This has to be one of the most ignorant and intellectually void posts I have ever read since I have joined these boards...Do your homework kid you might learn something.

Yeah well the bible is a work of fiction nothing more then mere fairy tales.

Plus I'm way to awesome to own a bible and not sin.

Well, there is some debate to just how old the Earth is, so how can you state 4.5 billion years as a fact? Even your scientists have constantly revised their estimation of how old they believe the Earth is. And how would you know how old the Earth is anyway? Do you have access to a radio carbon dating machine and rocks that are supposedly 4.5 billion years old? I highly doubt it. So basically all you have to go on is a few books written by mere mortal scientists. Let's not forget that scientists have a tendancy of fabricating facts in order to assure themselves of plum academic positions and loads of research money. Whereas I have writings that are devinely inspired, that are the absolute truth because they are the true Word of God. Sorry, I tend to go with the truth as determined by the devine Creator and not a bunch of human scientists when given the choice.

As to you critique of my level of intellect and my supposed young age, I tend not to care about the opinions of losers who display Nazi imagery in their avatars. The fact that this image was clipped from an episode of South Park doesn't do much to heighten my concern, either.

Let's see some proof that the Bible consists of "nothing more then [sic] mere fairy tales".

KGS

I'm never going to be able to comprehend how people can believe the words written in books (many of which, are conflicting), over the clear cut evidence staring them in the face. How can you not see how ridiculous it is? :blink:

So where do you get your "clear cut evidence" from, then? Communicating telepathically with aliens from a different planet? There is rarely consensus in scientific circles on any topic, so slamming the Bible for being "conflicting" is just a tad hypocritical. (The Bible isn't, incidently--the problem always results the readers ignorance.) I'm curious as to how many academic works on the topic of the origin of the Earth you have in fact read. Shall I hazard a guess and say it would be just about none? Which means that your info comes from the ever unreliable Internet, if anywhere at all.

KGS

Well, carbon dating from the oldest bible found is around six thousand years old. Just joking. The current era is based on the calendar which in terms that the English people know is 2007 years.

To Hindus, the world is 5109 years old.

To Hebrews, the world is 5768 years old.

To Chinese, the world is 4705 years old.

And whoever the Discordian people are, the world is 3173 years old.

The Julian day number is 2,454,125 days.

Take your pick.

The Hindus believe the world is much, much older than that. In fact, they believe it is more than 4 billion years old. Their estimate matchs very closely to the estimate of scientists.

I've heard this before, but here is a source I just found for the purpose of this thread.

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/Hindu_Cosmology.htm

Well, there is some debate to just how old the Earth is, so how can you state 4.5 billion years as a fact? Even your scientists have constantly revised their estimation of how old they believe the Earth is. And how would you know how old the Earth is anyway? Do you have access to a radio carbon dating machine and rocks that are supposedly 4.5 billion years old? I highly doubt it. So basically all you have to go on is a few books written by mere mortal scientists. Let's not forget that scientists have a tendancy of fabricating facts in order to assure themselves of plum academic positions and loads of research money. Whereas I have writings that are devinely inspired, that are the absolute truth because they are the true Word of God. Sorry, I tend to go with the truth as determined by the devine Creator and not a bunch of human scientists when given the choice.

see! what did tell you guys? nothing but a bunch of bible spewing religious dribble. :sleepy:

As to you critique of my level of intellect and my supposed young age, I tend not to care about the opinions of losers who display Nazi imagery in their avatars. The fact that this image was clipped from an episode of South Park doesn't do much to heighten my concern, either.

what dose his avatar have to do with any thing?

Let's see some proof that the Bible consists of "nothing more then [sic] mere fairy tales".

KGS

ok...

post-14517-1169837589_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

linked-image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology

and my personal favorite that explains all your divine inspirations and your so called Messiahs and prophets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Edited by Ravinar

Well, no, speculating about dinosaurs didn't cause the human race to advance beyond being "hunter gatherers". In fact, I believe that one can draw a direct connection between our current state of advancement with the fact that someone named Jesus came to this Earth about 2007 years ago. The problem is that for the last few hundred years people have been straying somewhat and placing more faith in science than in God, with the end result being such unfortunate things as industrialization, free market capitalism, atheism, world wars, nuclear and biological weapons, and global climate change. A preoccupation with trying to figure out things that we can never know the answer to, such as dinosaurs, is symptomatic of the manner in which science has in many respects screwed up our lives.

KGS

Really I thought religion was a great cause of war and hatred. If we ignored science for god, we live much shorter lives and know much less.

Scientific discovery caused the human race to become what it is today btw.

When science was ignored for religion, the world was not a nice place.

The universe sprang into exsistence 3 minutes and 22 seconds ago containing everything that is now in it, including all people with brain impressions making them Think that they've been alive all this time with their memories, and all geological formations with properties that our instruments will record as being ancient. Just happened few minutes ago.

The universe sprang into exsistence 3 minutes and 22 seconds ago containing everything that is now in it, including all people with brain impressions making them Think that they've been alive all this time with their memories, and all geological formations with properties that our instruments will record as being ancient. Just happened few minutes ago.
LOL. I like it! Quite possible as well. ;)

KGS

Wow, what fanatical christian faction do you belong to, the reason I ask is that I'm scared of this kind of religious brain washing and wish to avoid it at all costs. Prove to me that jesus even exsisted ya good luck with that one. Prove that the world is not 4-5- billion years old wait you can't prove one damn thing you have claimed. Explain why not until 90 years after the death of christ there is not one mention of him. You would think such a man would be very well documented. 90 years thats 3 life times back then and nothing written of him, hmmm.

see! what did tell you guys? nothing but a bunch of bible spewing religious dribble. :sleepy:

what dose his avatar have to do with any thing?

ok...

linked-image

I don't see any quotations from the Bible in my response, and perhaps you should look up the meaning of the words "spewing" and "dribble" because unlike you're sarcastic and snide remarks, I can and am making rational and measured arguments. The fact that you can't muster anything but sarcasm and vitriol speaks volumes about your intellectual deficiency, hence the lack of worth that one should place in your comments.

Thanks for posting that wonderful picture of God's creative ability. Simply posting a picture of rock formations isn't going to prove that the Earth is 4.5 billions years old.

KGS

Really I thought religion was a great cause of war and hatred. If we ignored science for god, we live much shorter lives and know much less.

Scientific discovery caused the human race to become what it is today btw.

When science was ignored for religion, the world was not a nice place.

Well, the general consensus among historians is "No, it is not". Religion was often used as a propaganda tool, much like the fear of WMDs were used prior to OIF to justify that war. Wars are usually fought for political and economic gain, and sometimes simply because one or oth of the factions are demented or possessed by bloodlust. Remember, nowhere does Jesus advocate the use of violence or war; he does quite the opposite, in fact.

KGS