Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Caverns give up huge fossil haul

UM-Bot

user posted image rSubmitted by Waspie Dwarf: An astonishing collection of fossil animals from southern Australia is reported by scientists. The creatures were found in limestone caves under Nullarbor Plain and date from about 400,000-800,000 years ago. The palaeontological "treasure trove" includes 23 kangaroo species, eight of which are entirely new to science.

Researchers tell Nature magazine that the caves also yielded a complete specimen of Thylacoleo carnifex, an extinct marsupial lion.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

Star_girl
linked-image"Sitting in the darkness next to this skeleton, you really got the sense of the animal collapsing in a heap and taking its last breath. It was quite poignant.

linked-image View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

What are you kidding me? Yes the fossils are great but I think this guy needs to get out a bit.... :blink:

I would be worried to be in cave full of dead skeletons with him...

louie

A great find. and 6 new types of kangaroo found, thats great and it show us that there are still many new types of animals to be found.