Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

The happiest man in the world ?

UM-Bot

user posted image rTo scientists, he is the world's happiest man. His level of mind control is astonishing and the upbeat impulses in his brain are off the scale. Now Matthieu Ricard, 60, a French academic-turned-Buddhist monk, is to share his secrets to make the world a happier place.

The trick, he reckons, is to put some effort into it. In essence, happiness is a "skill" to be learned.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: The Independent

MUM24/7

"Happiness is a skill to be learnt" sounds like a lot of work ! Why couldn't he just invent a pill for us to swallow, which would also make him the richest man on earth !!

P.S. I'm waiting for a wise-crack about existing pill-popping "happy" people....... ;);)

Eu_citzen
"Happiness is a skill to be learnt" sounds like a lot of work ! Why couldn't he just invent a pill for us to swallow, which would also make him the richest man on earth !!

P.S. I'm waiting for a wise-crack about existing pill-popping "happy" people....... ;);)

:w00t: a pill? sounds good, small, easy to handel, easy to drop, easy to get $$$ :lol:

777MileStare

Why was January 22nd the "unhappiest day" of the year, when unhappiness is not even close to depression in it's own right? Anyone who knows that you can be unhappy, from being less happy. But, depression is something that attacks the body and the mind. So what is 'lack of happiness' defining depression?

What is that considering someone says one day of the year is the unhappiest? - Well, some good questions from me I suppose...

STIX

I believe hapiness is a skill!! I never thought of it before, but it makes perfect sence... I guess thats why I am happy alot, because I have meditated and trained myself to be happy! :D GOOD HAPPINESS TO YOU ALL!

Four Winds

Good article, I'm glad that the subject is getting some decent research.

nativechick1989
In essence, happiness is a "skill" to be learned.

Mind over Matter.

Libranaster

Being happy is all about only giving yourself goals you can achieve and taking life day to day. Also I think realising the privelege of just being able to be alive is important. I am not saying that people should go for big goals but take them step by step instead of trying to do things all at once. I think there is a point in the difference in unhappiness and depression, if people are unhappy they will get over it but depression is different and much more serious. This is a harsh and busy world we live in but I think if people slow down for a few seconds and think more about what they did achieve in one day as apposed to what they need to achieve and didn't in a day then they will be happy and proud of themselves. Most human beings are good achievers and I often wonder why they don't seem happy about it. Even things as simple as being a good parent are achievements because there are heaps of bad ones out there and as long as what you do every day is what you think is best for your kids then you are being a good parent (unless you think abusing your kids is best for them then you are just wierd). Being a good friend is an achievement these days to because so many people get so caught up in themselves these days they forget to pay attention to others and love them. So I say why aren't people happy they should be and very proud of themselves for what ever they do in life because you are important to someone out there. Even if you just deliver someone's mail if you didn't do that they would never get their mail and they would notice that so you are doing something that makes a difference to the bigger picture. Oh well I am gonna stop this hippy talk and go take care of my kids :lol: .

nohands

hmmmm

being happy for me is to achieve the senses of the universe

heheehhehehehehehehehehehe

Carajbu

It's true- after I meditate I feel very peaceful, happy, just alive. It's a beautiful feeling. I think everyone should try meditating, regardless of their religion.

Libranaster--your words are so true. I get caught in the stress of today and worrying about the future. I worry even a day ahead. When we have responsibilities and problems and bills to pay it's hard to live in the moment. But it can be done. I agree happiness is a learned skill. People learn how to control their anger, how to relieve stress so learning how to be happy makes sense to me.

I really wish I could meet Ricard. Talking with people who are wise and happy is inspiring. :)

nohands

i think we can be happy when we dont have goals anymore

thats for me...heheh

Harriet The Ripperologist

Puh-leeze. Maybe part of the happiness is the knowledge that you've worked to get it. :) Happiness caused by a pill turns society layzee. If you can't be bothered to work for happiness, maybe you don't deserve it. :(