Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Urban Legend: Screaming Johnny's

CaitSith

On the Northwest side of Hannibal Missouri stands the ruins of an old country church, the church has a cemetary behind it that is still in use, but the church itself is just a hollow stone shell with a charred roof still intact. It was said that in the late 50's and early 60's cars would be lined up every weekend on the dirt road that ran in front of this ruin. My own grandmother told me that she was in one of those cars, and that she heard the screams herself, several other seniors in the area will agree and give their own accounts.

What was it that they were hearing?

Oral legends are many and widespread, but most say it was the cries from a ghost of a young boy who burned alive in the church. Some say that this was during a picnic in a pasture nearby and the boy had returned to the church knocking over a candle on his way to retrieve one article or another. A more onimous story says that this was a black church and was burned by the KKK who didn't want a black church in the Hannibal area... The stories go on.

What is known, and was heard by hundreds, is that blood curtling screams could be heard in the area of the ruins in the dark hours of the night. It was concluded by some that the screams came from a cougar that had taken up residence or somehow become trapped in the nearby White Bear Caves, but that is only speculation.

Teenagers still venture out to Screaming Johnny's for the thrill, hoping to hear those terrible screams in the night, I myself have never had the pleasure, but I will atest that this place, on occasion, has an eerie feel to it. Some do claim that the screams can still be heard, but in my opinion the screams that gave the church it's name, may never be heard again.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaitSith

• Barek Halfhand

• NME_locus

• _Nyx_

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a terrific story. It is great to that there are witnesses who are willing to talk about it. Thanks for sharing!

I'd go with the cougar or maybe something like a fox. A fox screaming sounds very much like a child or a female screaming. If you're not expecting a fox, then you'd think somone was being murdered. :blink:

Foxes never fail to creep me out with there calls at night, we have a few foxes around at night :blink:

Seeing as how I lived there myself for several years and haven't heard that before, I'm going to have to get in touch with my mother and she if she recalls hearing about this.

The fox theory sounds very plausible... they can sound like an infant when they get to howling and making the heart stopping noises they do :yes:

If and when I talk to my mom and she remembers anything, I'll let you know :tu:

Edited by _Nyx_

I do hope that she can recall, or perhaps she has heard the tale from another source around town. I would be happy to give you directions to the ruin from HWY 61

Mmmmmm ... a good ghost story. Love these.

Cougars sound like a woman screaming. I've never seen a cougar in the wild but heard them. Cougars can positively infest an area and you'll never see one. They're very cagey when it comes to letting their presence be known to humans.

Coyotes have an eerie warble when they bay. I live in the remote Utah desert and hear them nearly every night. At times, a pack of them can sound like a bunch of police sirens in pursuit. Other times, it's a strange moaning.

A dying rabbit emits a high-pitched scream that, if you don't know what it is, can make you wring out your sleeping bag the next morning ... lol.

We have kit foxes here in the desert. They're small, poodle-sized, but can make a good yip or moan on occasion.

So, many animals have been the source of ghost noises through the years.

But who knows? Perhaps a ghost has been heard. If you believe in ghosts, it's not out of the range of possibilities.

A wonderful story, though.

I've always wanted to visit Hanniball, though, for its most famous resident. I'm speaking, of course, of Nyx! Yep, love to see the Nyx Museum ... get a Nyx Burger & Fries at the local Nyxonald's ... shop at the Nyx Mall and tour the famous Nyx Home and speak to her mother ("She was an odd child, wasn't she Mrs. Nyx? ..." ).

And there was some other guy, named Samuel Clemens or Mark Twain or something, that lived in Hanniball, Missouri at one time. I guess he was a writer or sumpin. I dunno, might look up some stuff about him too, if anyone remembers him ... <wink>

Mmmmmm ... a good ghost story. Love these.

Cougars sound like a woman screaming. I've never seen a cougar in the wild but heard them. Cougars can positively infest an area and you'll never see one. They're very cagey when it comes to letting their presence be known to humans.

Coyotes have an eerie warble when they bay. I live in the remote Utah desert and hear them nearly every night. At times, a pack of them can sound like a bunch of police sirens in pursuit. Other times, it's a strange moaning.

A dying rabbit emits a high-pitched scream that, if you don't know what it is, can make you wring out your sleeping bag the next morning ... lol.

We have kit foxes here in the desert. They're small, poodle-sized, but can make a good yip or moan on occasion.

So, many animals have been the source of ghost noises through the years.

But who knows? Perhaps a ghost has been heard. If you believe in ghosts, it's not out of the range of possibilities.

A wonderful story, though.

I've always wanted to visit Hanniball, though, for its most famous resident. I'm speaking, of course, of Nyx! Yep, love to see the Nyx Museum ... get a Nyx Burger & Fries at the local Nyxonald's ... shop at the Nyx Mall and tour the famous Nyx Home and speak to her mother ("She was an odd child, wasn't she Mrs. Nyx? ..." ).

And there was some other guy, named Samuel Clemens or Mark Twain or something, that lived in Hanniball, Missouri at one time. I guess he was a writer or sumpin. I dunno, might look up some stuff about him too, if anyone remembers him ... <wink>

Well coyotes are a nightly occurance here, so I doubt that would be the source, but I have personally never heard a fox utter a sound, but from what your telling me it could be quite disturbing. Your honestly not missing anything here in Hannibal, just a dirty little river town, with Twain Twain, Clemens, Sawyer, or Huck's slapped on the title of every buisiness. Seriously just ask Nix lol its rediculous. Clemen's Landing, MarkTwain Landing, Injun Joes Campground... those are just the three waterparks in the area. Don't get me started on the restraunts

Sounds an interesting place an certainly one I'd visit. Knowing me I'd actually go into the church and see what I can find.

Where does it get the name Johnny from though? When I read the title the first thing that came to mind was condoms :blink:

It's true... I lived in Hannibal up until the mid 80s and they exploited the Mark Twain thing to a ridiculous degree.... I've visted there in the last few years and it's only gotten worse. I guess when you have some claim to fame, no matter how small, you're going to hang onto it for dear life...

Sounds an interesting place an certainly one I'd visit. Knowing me I'd actually go into the church and see what I can find.

Where does it get the name Johnny from though? When I read the title the first thing that came to mind was condoms :blink:

Unfortunately entering the church is no problem, hence all the grafitti and worse of all, the frequently found dead animals inside. It is private property and the owners have taken a stand due to the vandalism, about people going in there at night. Of course during the day you could go up there, the cemetary is still used after all. We had the cops run us off on October 13th 2002 (it was friday the 13th) but we weren't the only ones out there that night, there were three other carloads of teens. Luckily one of the other cars had beer in it so they didnt pay us much attention.

Hehehe, I was born in 1983 Nix, so I doubt our paths have ever crossed, unless it was when I was just a baby leviathan

Edited by Leviathan113

On the Northwest side of Hannibal Missouri stands the ruins of an old country church, the church has a cemetary behind it that is still in use, but the church itself is just a hollow stone shell with a charred roof still intact. It was said that in the late 50's and early 60's cars would be lined up every weekend on the dirt road that ran in front of this ruin. My own grandmother told me that she was in one of those cars, and that she heard the screams herself, several other seniors in the area will agree and give their own accounts.

What was it that they were hearing?

Oral legends are many and widespread, but most say it was the cries from a ghost of a young boy who burned alive in the church. Some say that this was during a picnic in a pasture nearby and the boy had returned to the church knocking over a candle on his way to retrieve one article or another. A more onimous story says that this was a black church and was burned by the KKK who didn't want a black church in the Hannibal area... The stories go on.

What is known, and was heard by hundreds, is that blood curtling screams could be heard in the area of the ruins in the dark hours of the night. It was concluded by some that the screams came from a cougar that had taken up residence or somehow become trapped in the nearby White Bear Caves, but that is only speculation.

Teenagers still venture out to Screaming Johnny's for the thrill, hoping to hear those terrible screams in the night, I myself have never had the pleasure, but I will atest that this place, on occasion, has an eerie feel to it. Some do claim that the screams can still be heard, but in my opinion the screams that gave the church it's name, may never be heard again.

was wondering if this was (church)more in the Riverside park area or more on edge of hannibal proper? I am going to examine aerial photos for kixx........b :geek:

was wondering if this was (church)more in the Riverside park area or more on edge of hannibal proper? I am going to examine aerial photos for kixx........b

You know the area as well then?

It's about 2 miles outside of Hannibal, in the area of Hannibal Regional Hospital, White Bear Caves and Spartan International. I should say more West than North, if you find Highway 36, you should find the hospital. The HRH road connects with a road running paralelle called MM. When HRH road crosses MM it becomes White Bear Road, the church is located some what on the corner of White Bear Road and the first avaliable left (not sure of the road # will look into it though)

Edited by Leviathan113

It's about 2 miles outside of Hannibal, in the area of Hannibal Regional Hospital, White Bear Caves and Spartan International. I should say more West than North, if you find Highway 36, you should find the hospital. The HRH road connects with a road running paralelle called MM. When HRH road crosses MM it becomes White Bear Road, the church is located some what on the corner of White Bear Road and the first avaliable left (not sure of the road # will look into it though)
hey Levi

thanks have you tried sky pics?

if you get more info please update post!.....b

thats an interesting story, i wonder if the spirit is still there, maybe someone could do an <exorcism> (its amazing how many times i use that word now lol)

Creepy, lol. I think it's creepier that a bunch of cars would line up every weekend to hear what's thought to be the sound of dying boy, lol. But these things do attract. Yes, I had some foxes where I used to live and when we first moved there, I heard what I would've sworn was a child screaming it's head off. Scared the crap out of me. And in the woods, you're never really sure where the sound is coming from. Finally one morning hubby heard it too and said it was a fox. I'd seen them running around, but geez, never would've thought they'd make that noise, lol.

Creepy, lol. I think it's creepier that a bunch of cars would line up every weekend to hear what's thought to be the sound of dying boy, lol. But these things do attract. Yes, I had some foxes where I used to live and when we first moved there, I heard what I would've sworn was a child screaming it's head off. Scared the crap out of me. And in the woods, you're never really sure where the sound is coming from. Finally one morning hubby heard it too and said it was a fox. I'd seen them running around, but geez, never would've thought they'd make that noise, lol.
nadia you seem cool and all but ...

I was treated to fox thing well it was THE most horrible sound!...have not told ANYONE this!was rite before sunup 3-4 days ago! (nortrhwest ILL.)........b

I was just gonna look for hannibal Mo PICs but.... :D

serious on fox thing seasonal or somthing?????........b

Edited by Barek Halfhand

nadia you seem cool and all but ...

But what, rofl?

You know the area as well then?
no but its in my "zone" 5 hr. drive tops....

plus I have an "interest" in the OP as well...........b

ot- welcome to bucketheadland live

no but its in my "zone" 5 hr. drive tops....

plus I have an "interest" in the OP as well...........b

ot- welcome to bucketheadland live

An interest in me? Should I start locking my doors? :unsure2:

linked-image

There are also rumors of hauntings at "White Bear Caves" and "Screaming

Johnny's", also "Devil's Tower" all in the same area in Hannibal. On the river front there is an old water plant and an amphitheater that might possibly be haunted. On Maine street an old movie theater called Star Theater is thought to be haunted. Below is a letter from a visitor to Ilasco.

It was founded in 1903,and was dissolved in 1963. Home to Mostly Slovak families. It housed most of the Atlas cement plant's workers.which was located just off of the settlement. In 1909 it housed about 3,000 people which made it Ralls counties largest settlement at that time. All that I could find out is that it was made up of in adition to houses, 8 Saloons, 7 Gen. stores early in the 1900's. The Romanian Lodge held many Funerals. Most of the settlers where buried in the Mt. Olivette and Riverfront cemeteries. In March 2nd of 1906 a large fire which started in one of the Gen. Stores spread threw the settlement and burnt most of the buildings down.In 1909 the Pauley Jail Building Co. built a 2 room escape proof jail that could accommodate 8 people 'comfortably'. The entrance to this village is a small wooden/steel bridge, then just to your left is the two stores and then on past that to the left is the jail and to the right is the new Lutheran Church.

BM

• The title was changed to Urban Legend: Screaming Johnny's