Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Urban Legend: Screaming Johnny's

CaitSith

you freaked me out with fox screaming story...(is the "but")..............b

I used to run around apolizing for bar brawls I started ...sucks to grow older ..b!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaitSith

• Barek Halfhand

• NME_locus

• _Nyx_

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

linked-image

There are also rumors of hauntings at "White Bear Caves" and "Screaming

Johnny's", also "Devil's Tower" all in the same area in Hannibal. On the river front there is an old water plant and an amphitheater that might possibly be haunted. On Maine street an old movie theater called Star Theater is thought to be haunted. Below is a letter from a visitor to Ilasco.

It was founded in 1903,and was dissolved in 1963. Home to Mostly Slovak families. It housed most of the Atlas cement plant's workers.which was located just off of the settlement. In 1909 it housed about 3,000 people which made it Ralls counties largest settlement at that time. All that I could find out is that it was made up of in adition to houses, 8 Saloons, 7 Gen. stores early in the 1900's. The Romanian Lodge held many Funerals. Most of the settlers where buried in the Mt. Olivette and Riverfront cemeteries. In March 2nd of 1906 a large fire which started in one of the Gen. Stores spread threw the settlement and burnt most of the buildings down.In 1909 the Pauley Jail Building Co. built a 2 room escape proof jail that could accommodate 8 people 'comfortably'. The entrance to this village is a small wooden/steel bridge, then just to your left is the two stores and then on past that to the left is the jail and to the right is the new Lutheran Church.

BM

White Bear Caves are actually quite beautiful, more so than the comercialized Mark Twain Caves, but some bots did vanish in them in the early 70's. The Star Theater is actually on Broadway, dunno why it says Main St. About 80% of Hannibal is in Marion County though, only the southern outskirts is in Ralls County.

I will say this about Devil's Tower though, it is a very bad place and you should stay away from there. Stick with Screaming Johnny's and forget about Devil's Tower.

. The Romanian Lodge held many Funerals. Most of the settlers where buried in the Mt. Olivette and Riverfront cemeteries. In March 2nd of 1906 a large fire which started in one of the Gen. Stores spread threw the settlement and burnt most of the buildings down.[/u][/color]In 1909 the Pauley Jail Building Co. built a 2 room escape proof jail that could accommodate 8 people 'comfortably'. The entrance to this village is a small wooden/steel bridge, then just to your left is the two stores and then on past that to the left is the jail and to the right is the new Lutheran Church.

BM

nice NME!

still cant believe all that good work came from a COLTS fan!!!

going to examine photo soon ...for kixx....etc...

if you are incahoots with "tonecop" the "overpass" thing is going to be cool!............B

even a Colts fan MUST love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1JiXjuwyuQ

nice NME!

still cant believe all that good work came from a COLTS fan!!!

going to examine photo soon ...for kixx....etc...

if you are incahoots with "tonecop" the "overpass" thing is going to be cool!............B

even a Colts fan MUST love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1JiXjuwyuQ

Ah ha ha! I see a Bears fan! I love that video! Boy.... Congrats on your Bears SB appearance. The Bears are also a team that I have been rooting for to got o the SB. They have also been long over due for it.

Yup, ToneCop is not much of a believer in the paranormal, and that why he's a great part of our group. He's also a real cop so there's no need to carry my gun along since he's aways carrying his. Also, he can tell the police department of our scouting around so no one runs us off.

We're doing a big foot search soon in the Big Thicket, Texas. Also, this is the same arae where I done my Saratoga Ghost Light investigation.

Edited by NME_locus

Ah ha ha! I see a Bears fan! I love that video! Boy.... Congrats on your Bears SB appearance. The Bears are also a team that I have been rooting for to got o the SB. They have also been long over due for it.

Yup, ToneCop is not much of a believer in the paranormal, and that why he's a great part of our group. He's also a real cop so there's no need to carry my gun along since he's aways carrying his. Also, he can tell the police department of our scouting around so no one runs us off.

We're doing a big foot search soon in the Big Thicket, Texas. Also, this is the same arae where I done my Saratoga Ghost Light investigation.

KNEW he was a real cop -......interesting!....still like him tho!! :D .......b

love the crypto-xeno zoo- ology stuff too(bigfoot) good show on "digging for truth" -HChannel-has a search for south american "Land of the Giants"- SLOTH(20 feet tall)- all sorts of prints in sand etc.. really cool..

NME/tonecop now have been granted "skeptics immunity" as legit investigators.. often skeptics are the MOST opened minded ...

case in point: one month ago I was the Arch- Skeptic!....NOW....well ... these dudes are researchers and NOT critics !.....rock on!

Edited by Barek Halfhand

White Bear Caves are actually quite beautiful, more so than the comercialized Mark Twain Caves, but some bots did vanish in them in the early 70's. The Star Theater is actually on Broadway, dunno why it says Main St. About 80% of Hannibal is in Marion County though, only the southern outskirts is in Ralls County.

I will say this about Devil's Tower though, it is a very bad place and you should stay away from there. Stick with Screaming Johnny's and forget about Devil's Tower.

Okay, sorry Leviathan, back on topic..... What's the big deal with Devil's Tower? I'm not trying to imply anything but it seems that Devil's Tower has been around and the legend has spread through out the US. There are many "Devil's ******" and people link that to being haunted. For example...

One of the most famous of the Devil Name places is undoubtedly Devil’s Tower in the wilderness of Wyoming. Thanks to its major role in the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind, it is easily the most recognizable of the places on our list. Mystical or not, it is certainly a strange and unique location. The tower, as this outcropping is called, rise abruptly from the otherwise flat landscape to a height of nearly 1300 feet. The top if flattened off and long fissures cover the sides. These long , straight grooves gave birth to an Indian legend of a giant bear clawing at the rock with his claws. The geologic wonder was declared America’s first national monument by Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 and has always been considered a sacred site by the Indians, who believe that many spirits reside here.

-Devil’s Backbone

-Devil’s Track Lake

-Devil’s Highway

-Devil’s Tramping Ground

-Devil’s Hole

-The Devil’s Backbone and the Devil’s Bake Oven are in the southern portion of the state and in an area deemed “haunted” by the Indians.

I can only speculate legends, but I have been there. It's sort of a whole ghost tour going out that way. The tower itself is fairly unimpressive, though rumor states that it has a tunnle under it that leads to the White Bear Caves. It's not really a ghost story as much as a curse, or should I say cursed ground, but the sight of dark figures with glowing eyes is somewhat common, a car full of us all witnessed this. My sister parked out there once with her boyfriend and the car never started again, I also had a car break down while I drove out there on my lunch break last fall (I worked at Intermet, now Spartan as seen on the map.) There have been many accidents and fights out there, a few resulting in deaths. It was bad enough that they posted no tresspassing signs all around and put up that nifty orange fence that couldn't actually keep a retarded turtle out. It's just a bad place with bad energy where bad things happen, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone to go there. You want to explore the supernatural around Hannibal, stick with Screaming Johnny's

I can only speculate legends, but I have been there. It's sort of a whole ghost tour going out that way. The tower itself is fairly unimpressive, though rumor states that it has a tunnle under it that leads to the White Bear Caves. It's not really a ghost story as much as a curse, or should I say cursed ground, but the sight of dark figures with glowing eyes is somewhat common, a car full of us all witnessed this. My sister parked out there once with her boyfriend and the car never started again, I also had a car break down while I drove out there on my lunch break last fall (I worked at Intermet, now Spartan as seen on the map.) There have been many accidents and fights out there, a few resulting in deaths. It was bad enough that they posted no tresspassing signs all around and put up that nifty orange fence that couldn't actually keep a retarded turtle out. It's just a bad place with bad energy where bad things happen, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone to gtake your paraniao there. You want to explore the supernatural around Hannibal, stick with Screaming Johnny's
have you noticed a jump in "bad vibes" when you are or were in the area?.......b (take your paranioa pill pill levi) :D.....b Edited by Barek Halfhand

have you noticed a jump in "bad vibes" when you are or were in the area?.......b (take your paranioa pill pill levi) :D

Of course not! The voices told me not to :wacko:

Hey you altered my post!

Edited by Leviathan113

:lol:

Of course not! The voices told me not to :wacko:

Hey you altered my post!

:lol: ..what about anyone else in the car? (bad feeling?) or were you guys arguing at the time? remember at all -?...b

Edited by Barek Halfhand

have you noticed a jump in "bad vibes" when you are or were in the area?.......b (take your paranioa pill pill levi) :D.....b

Took me a second to understand what you were implying lol. Yeah, but don't act like Im the only person on this forum who feels the energy of their environment, I feel it off people too. Screaming Johnny's isn't so ominous just eerie, eveyone gets spooked out at Devil's Tower though, if you went there then you would see.

:lol:

:lol: ..what about anyone else in the car? (bad feeling?) or were you guys arguing at the time? remember at all -?...b

Last time we were out there we had my brothers psychic exfiancee with us and she totally flipped out, but she did that in my bathroom once too. She's kind of a spooky chic, but I do beleive her abilities. She said that their were hundreds of voices coming from the woods all around, and she was hyperventilating and crying. Before I got my license I would go out there with my sister and her friends but they told me and my brother that another girl did the same thing. Like I said there are a lot of fights and accidents in that area, but that could just be because its a place where unsupervised teens go.

Last time we were out there we had my brothers psychic exfiancee with us and she totally flipped out, but she did that in my bathroom once too. She's kind of a spooky chic, but I do beleive her abilities. She said that their were hundreds of voices coming from the woods all around, and she was hyperventilating and crying. Before I got my license I would go out there with my sister and her friends but they told me and my brother that another girl did the same thing. Like I said there are a lot of fights and accidents in that area, but that could just be because its a place where unsupervised teens go.
how long ago? (bros-Ex) the woods and bathroom incidents around same time period?........b Edited by Barek Halfhand

how long ago? (bros-Ex) the woods and bathroom incidents around same time period?........b

She freaked out at Devil's Tower the November before last, in my bathroom not long after that, maybe January. She couldnt get the door open to the bathroom, but there is no lock on our bathroom door (unfortunately,) when we finally got the door open she was hysterical huddled on the floor.

Of course just to note, this chic got bad vibes off of me, and had nightmares about me...

Edited by Leviathan113

She freaked out at Devil's Tower the November before last, in my bathroom not long after that, maybe January. She couldnt get the door open to the bathroom, but there is no lock on our bathroom door (unfortunately,) when we finally got the door open she was hysterical huddled on the floor.

Of course just to note, this chic got bad vibes off of me, and had nightmares about me...

road trip! :tu: ...b

no not to kill you levi :P

Edited by Barek Halfhand

• 5 weeks later...

Took a trip out to Devil's Tower and Screaming Johnny's the other night and got some pics. Nothing special, the bottom one is Screaming Johnny's

post-30325-1172629715_thumb.jpg

post-30325-1172629813_thumb.jpg

post-30325-1172629851_thumb.jpg

post-30325-1172629874_thumb.jpg

post-30325-1172629927_thumb.jpg

Oh cool story & awsome pictures. <3 I love the story most of all. I wonder if I can do a search on this place. If I ever come to Missouri, that is one stop I must go.

• 4 months later...

I know this is necro and all, but I couldn't resist the irony. Im actually dating a girl now that lives about five hundred yards from Screaming Johnny's. Too bad her parents hate me or I would camp out in her back yard with a camera!

love the pics and story hope to see it one day

Took a trip out to Devil's Tower and Screaming Johnny's the other night and got some pics. Nothing special, the bottom one is Screaming Johnny's
Glad you didnt fall in Levi :D ... thanks for the pics....will review tommorow (brain dead now)....B

halfhandshuffle:Aerosmith - Chiquita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLA6MHtklIw

• The title was changed to Urban Legend: Screaming Johnny's