Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zeus devotees worship in Athens

UM-Bot

greektemple.jpg
Worshippers who believe in the 12 gods of ancient Greece have held a ceremony at the Temple of Zeus in Athens. This is a landmark event to celebrate official recognition of their religion by a court last year. The Greek Orthodox Church has said they are miserable resuscitators of a degenerate dead religion.

But the ceremony went ahead, with crowds watching priests and priestesses, who said the event was a symbol of their civic rights.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. sasquatch

• UM-Bot

• Ravinar

• DevaDevil

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The president of the Association of Greek Clergymen, Father Efstathios Kollas, has described the followers of the Olympic gods as a handful of miserable resuscitators of a degenerate dead religion who wish to return to the monstrous dark delusions of the past.

:rofl: like the christians are any less delusional them selfs. :rolleyes:

:rofl: like the christians are any less delusional them selfs. :rolleyes:

Good going Ravinar! :tu:

I actually kinda like their religion. ;)

their Gods and Goddesses are more human-like, and I love their fable, and stories of adventure and sexual conquests.

I also don't hear about too many extremests in their religion; how many times did they ever have a "Holy War"

But I don't like how Zeus and others like to punish people so much.

But then almost every religion has gods like that.

I just can't choose which religion to beleave in!

I used to be an Athiest, but then I thought it would be nice to take up a faith, and I might be a happier person.

But don't worry, I am still have my loyalties to Science.

Sorry for the typos!!

belief = belief, w/e "The Church" says.

However this reeks to "we want this because it's a right to practise one's religion and ppl denied us the right". It strikes me more as a protest against organised religion than a genuine belief. But Hey, who am I...

For me any organised religion is :hmm:, I believe what I want to believe; live to as good a morality as I can manage. I don't need some instance to tell me what to do and not to do. But for those who feel the need to be organised, why not. Good to see that ppl can practise what they want to, genuine or not.

It's always good to see the gods of old get their followers back.