Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Independent Order Of Oddfellows

Rokerijdude11

I heard that they were started as part of a backlash to Masonry.

REally?

where may i ask did you "hear" that?

That is incorrect someone is giving you misinformation

REally?

where may i ask did you "hear" that?

That is incorrect someone is giving you misinformation

I heard it from "someone". Could be inncorrect, I dunno. Never stated it was hard fact. The person who told me said that at the time there was alot of negative sentiment towards the Masons and the Odd Fellows was formed to somewhat counter or atleast thumb-noses at the Masons.

Since, according to you my info is incorrect, thanks for sharing the details you know to be true. Way to contribute :tu:

Way to contribute :tu:

yeah really.

Say....

something.....

come.....

on.....

personally I have not even heard of the odd fellows.

Thats probably because it is a secret society

In fact more secretive than Masons, as there is no plethora of websites and books dedicated to its true inner workings.

As none of its members has chosen to break the secrecy.

In 17th century England, it was odd to find people organized for the purpose of giving aid to those in need and of pursuing projects for the benefit of all mankind. Those who belonged to such an organization were called "Odd Fellows". Odd Fellows are also known as "The Three Link Fraternity" which stands for Friendship, Love and Truth.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows was founded on the North American Continent in Baltimore, Maryland, on April 26, 1819 when Thomas Wildey and four members of the Order from England instituted Washington Lodge No. 1. This lodge received its charter from Manchester Unity of Odd Fellows in England.

Odd Fellowship became the 1st national fraternity to include both men and women when it adopted the beautiful Rebekah Degree on September 20, 1851. This degree is based on the teachings found in the Holy Bible, and was written by the Honorable Schuyler Colfax who was Vice President of the United States during the period 1868-1873. Odd Fellows and Rebekahs were also the first fraternal organization to establish homes for our senior members and for orphaned children.

There are several different reasons given for our strange name. One old and apparently authoritative history of Odd Fellowship gives the explanation, "That common laboring men should associate themselves together and form a fraternity for social unity and fellowship and for mutual help was such a marked violation of the trends of the times (England in the 1700's) that they became known as 'peculiar' or 'odd,' and hence they were derided as 'Odd Fellows.' Because of the appropriateness of the name, those engaged in forming these unions accepted it. When legally incorporated the title 'Odd Fellows' was adopted."

Another, similar explanation is that the original Odd Fellows were men who were engaged in various or odd trades, as there were organizations for some of the larger trades.

Modern references state that the true reason for the name Odd Fellows isn't known or documented. Whatever the reason may have been, the unusual name has been the object of public curiosity (and on occasion derision or mirth) for well over 200 years.

THE BEGINNING OF ODD FELLOWSHIP

Although some books claim to trace Odd Fellowship back to Roman times when members of the Roman Legions in England were called "Fellow Citizens", what is said to be the earliest printed record of an Odd Fellows Lodge appears in a reference to a lodge meeting at a Globe Tavern in England, in 1748. This lodge was numbered nine, so apparently there were at least nine associated Odd Fellows lodges at that time.

Other evidence suggests that our origins were in an organization known as the Ancient Order of Bucks which thrived in England in the 18th Century, and had as its emblem three bucks with their antlers intertwined. These men had as their leader a "Most Noble Grand" and met in club rooms and taverns. One of their principal emblems was "a bundle of sticks," familiar to modern Odd Fellows as signifying strength in union. They dropped "Bucks" from the name in 1802. Whatever the origin, solid evidence begins to be found in the late 18th Century. By 1796 Odd Fellow organizations were numerous in England, and each was independent from the others. Fraternal groups such as the Odd Fellows were suppressed in England for a time, but by 1803 the Odd Fellows were revived by an organization called "London Union Odd Fellows," which later became known as the "Grand Lodge of England" and assumed authority over all Odd Fellow lodges in that country.

Victory Lodge in Manchester declared itself independent of the Grand Lodge of England in 1809. In 1814, the six Odd Fellows lodges in the Manchester area met and formed The Manchester Unity of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which elected officers and proceeded to standardize degree work of the lodges.

ODD FELLOWSHIP IN NORTH AMERICA

Among the first records of the Order in America is that of five Brothers of the English Order who met in New York City in 1806, and formed Shakespeare Lodge No. 1.

The founders were three boat builders, a comedian and a vo*spam filter*t - a group befitting the name "Odd Fellows," indeed. The lodge was self instituted, a common practice in those times. Their first candidate was a retired actor who was the keeper of the tavern where they met. Accounts state that lodge meetings were accompanied by merry making and mirth, and that the wares of the tavern were freely indulged in. This lodge was dissolved in 1813 due to poor attendance brought on by controversy over the War of 1812.

Another lodge of which little is known existed briefly in New York in 1816. In 1818, Shakespeare Lodge in New York was re-instituted, in the Red Cow tavern, operated by a former member who had in his keeping the books and papers of the former lodge. They claimed to have received a charter from the Manchester Unity which gave them authority over all other Odd Fellows Lodges in the United States, but this authority was not accepted by other lodges. Several more lodges were founded in the New York City area, and one in Philadelphia, due to the efforts of the Brothers of Shakespeare Lodge.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows as we know it today began in Baltimore, Maryland, where five members of the Order from England founded Washington Lodge No. 1 on April 26,1819, by self-institution. One of these Brothers was Thomas Wildey, the first Noble Grand and the man revered as the founder of Odd Fellowship in North America. A charter was received from Duke of York Lodge in Preston, England, in 1820, a year and a half after its self-institution.

A second lodge was formed in Baltimore in 1819, but these two lodges and those in New York were unaware of each others' existence for some time, communications being slow in those days, and there being no reason such information would travel from one city to another except by pure chance.

In 1821, the "Grand Lodge of Maryland and of the United States of America, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows," was founded. Brother Wildey also served as the first Grand Master/Grand Sire of the first Grand Lodge, for a period of 12 years. Several more lodges were established, and in 1824, the "Grand Lodge of the United States" now termed "The Sovereign Grand Lodge," was separated from the Grand Lodge of Maryland. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows in North America (United States and Canada) became independent from the Order in England in 1834.

ODD FELLOWSHIP EXPANDS WEST

There were several abortive attempts to establish Odd Fellowship in the Western United States, beginning in the late 1840's.

One of the first occurred when a member, leading a party sailing from Gloucester, Massachusetts, to what he called "the City of Oregon, on the Columbia River," obtained a charter through what was, at best, irregular channels. He had written to both the Grand Sire and the Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of the United States, after which he alleged that they had directed him to obtain necessary papers and authority from a Deputy Grand Sire in Massachusetts. Asked by the Deputy Grand Sire to see the letters, the Brother in question stated they had been packed by mistake, and were now on the ship, about to sail for Oregon.

However, the ship and its party of Odd Fellows reached not the "City of Oregon," but the Sandwich Islands, and established the first Odd Fellows Lodge west of the Mississippi River, Excelsior Lodge No. 1, in Honolulu, Hawaii, with the charter signed by King Kamehameha, the reigning monarch of the Sandwich Islands which were later renamed the Hawaiian Islands.

ODD FELLOWSHIP IN CALIFORNIA

The good works of Odd Fellowship were in evidence in California prior to the official establishment of the fraternity here. The official establishment of Odd Fellowship in California had its birth in the City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where a short time prior to January 12, 1849, the Most Worthy Grand Sire, Horn R. Kneass, issued a charter entitled "California Lodge No. l."

Due to the excitement of the discovery of gold at Coloma, in January, 1848, the Port of Yerba Buena (San Francisco) was in a turmoil throughout 1849. Two of the three petitioners left for the gold fields in the "Mother Lode," to seek their fortunes. Everything pertaining to Odd Fellowship was left with James Smiley. He made one or two attempts, within the next three months to organize an Odd Fellows lodge, but with so many leaving for the gold fields, the idea was abandoned.

When some of the brothers returned from the gold fields, he was able to gather a sufficient number of former brothers to assist in making up the complement of charter members, required by the laws under which they secured the charter. On September 9, 1849, one year to the day before California was admitted to the Union as the 31st State, California Lodge No. 1 came into being, in the City of San Francisco, with Brother Smiley instituting the lodge.

San Francisco Odd Fellows Temple

SAN FRANCISCO ODD FELLOWS TEMPLE: The Odd Fellows Temple, located on the corner of Seventh and Market Streets in San Francisco, was one of the showpieces in the city. The structure was destroyed during the 1906 earthquake, the Odd Fellows rebuilt on the same site with a comparable building. For many years the Grand Lodge office was located in the San Francisco Odd Fellows Temple.

Several months previous to the organization of California Lodge No. 1 the brothers of San Francisco were at work relieving the suffering, and during a few months they expended over $100,000. It was not unusual during this period, and for a number of years, to cost a member $5.00 or even $10.00 to attend a meeting, for there was no regular means of collecting dues, or paying benefits, and the calls for aid were many.

An interesting feature of California Lodge No. 1 during their formation period was their dues structure. They adopted their first By Laws November 25, 1850, and the initiation fee was set at $50.00; dues, $10.00 per quarter in advance; and no benefits were to be paid a Brother who was able to pay his own expenses. Two years later San Francisco Lodge No. 3 was established.

In Sacramento an association was organized by a Texas Odd Fellow, A. M. Winn, later the founder of the Native Sons of the Golden West. The brother published a notice in the "Pacific News" calling all Odd Fellows together. More than 100 three linkers assembled on August 20, 1849, to organize a relief association. They had no authority to organize and adopt the Odd Fellows name but the necessities of the times demanded prompt action. Brother Winn was elected President, and he was authorized to call upon any member to nurse the sick free of charge, when nurses were receiving $16.00 a day for such services. The Odd Fellows were joined by the Masons in establishing the first hospital in California, and within a few months had expended some $30,000.00 in relieving distress. Shortly thereafter Sacramento Lodge No. 2 was instituted and the following year Eureka Lodge No. 4 was formed. Odd Fellow relief associations were also organized in Stockton and Marysville, soon followed by the institution of Charity Lodge No. 6 in Stockton and Yuba Lodge No. 5 in Marysville. In addition to San Francisco, Sacramento, Stockton and Marysville, many Odd Fellow lodges were soon established throughout the Mother Lode area of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

In time, Odd Fellowship spread throughout the state. The list of lodges once included almost every city, town or hamlet, in the "Golden State". At one time, lodges in the Oregon and Washington Territory, along with those in British Columbia, were under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of California.

INTERNATIONAL ODD FELLOWSHIP

The early day Odd Fellows in California played an important part in the spreading of Odd Fellowship to other countries when Templer Lodge No. 15 of San Francisco by unanimous vote appropriated $1,200 to establish the Order in Germany in 1869. Wuerttemberg Lodge No. 1 of Stuttgart was instituted the following year by John A. Morse, a Past Grand Master of California. From Germany the Order spread to many other countries and territories throughout Europe. The Order is presently located in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Cuba, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Labrador, New Zealand, Norway, The Netherlands, Peru, Puerto Rico, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay, and Venezuela. Due to recent political changes in Eastern Europe and the Balkan countries, Odd Fellowship has already been re-established in Leipzig, Germany. The ground work is being laid to establish lodges in other parts of the former Eastern area of Germany, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, and Hungary, under the leadership of the Odd Fellows in Europe.

A series of short historical articles in an 1988 issue of The Illinois Odd Fellow, from which some of these notes were taken, mentions that in 1827 the fourth lodge in Maryland, William Tell Lodge No. 4, was chartered to work in the German language. Eventually, many jurisdictions had German-speaking lodges, and German Rituals were provided. In California, Harmony Lodge No. 13, Concordia Lodge No. 122, and Hermann Lodge No. 145 were all established in San Francisco in the 1850's and 1860's, originally working in the German language as did lodges in other California cities. Likewise lodges working in the Italian, Swedish, and French languages were instituted, and today Franco-American Lodge No. 207 is still a bilingual French speaking lodge in California.

Thats probably because it is a secret society

In fact more secretive than Masons, as there is no plethora of websites and books dedicated to its true inner workings.

"Really? where may I ask did you hear that? that is some incorret information you are giving someone."

"No plethora" of websites except the Odd Fellows own website(s) you copy and pasted most of your post from.........

your source

If you cant believe the Odd Fellows, who can you?

So are you really looking for information on the Odd Fellows or just trying to dazzle us with your cut and paste skillz?

Edited by el midgetron

Looking to see what You know/Knew about this secret society

what I shared with you concerning the Order and its origins is all that I can share with you

of course that is wht it is listed at our soviergn Grand lodges website

there is none of what i have told that is incorrect or erroneus

yes Our order has websites.................they give you all an idea of some of what we do is about

but just as the masons and other orders there are things that cannot be shared with others

if you are interested in learning more about the order i can help you in that quest

i can tell you more abou what are lodges do to help our communities and elevate the character of mankind

and of our charitable work in all walks of life

so anyways yes I did post information from a website about oddfellows

no harm nor secrecy there it was to give some of you who have not heard of us an idea who we are and where we originated from

i was looking to see if anyone here knew anything about this "secret" society.............

thanks for participating

So, you are an odd fellow whos just checking to make sure your "secrets" are still safe? Don't worry, they are because no one really cares about your "secret" handshakes or fancy-ceremonial-pants.

Did you ever think that might be why there is "no plethora of websites and books dedicated to its true inner workings" (other than the dozens of books and websites published by the odd fellows themselves)? Its as if you guys want so badly to spill-the-beans and tell the world your "secrets" but you just cant find anyone to listen.

Its like the odd fellows have "middle child syndrome" and are dying for the same attention thats given to the Masons.

"oh, why wont someone look at us? we are every bit as dark and naughty as the Masons and even more "secret" ".

Edited by el midgetron

So, you are an odd fellow whos just checking to make sure your "secrets" are still safe? Don't worry, they are because no one really cares about your "secret" handshakes or fancy-ceremonial-pants.

Did you ever think that might be why there is "no plethora of websites and books dedicated to its true inner workings" (other than the dozens of books and websites published by the odd fellows themselves)? Its as if you guys want so badly to spill-the-beans and tell the world your "secrets" but you just cant find anyone to listen.

Its like the odd fellows have "middle child syndrome" and are dying for the same attention thats given to the Masons.

"oh, why wont someone look at us? we are every bit as dark and naughty as the Masons and even more "secret" ".

Ahhh

I see my arent you just a Tad judgemental? Certainly it would appear that way.checking to see if my secrets are safe? hardly............

Actually there arent that many websites on OddFellowship, as compared to other Fraternal organizations.You should not be so quick as to judge, For all you know, I am a Free and Accepted Mason of the Blue Lodge as well as an Oddfellow...Actually no sir we dont need attention........nor are we looking to "spill the beans" we are an order that is alive and well in many countries around the world.............all fraternal orders have gone through membership decline including the Free and Accepted Masons

You have just insulted a larger number of people than you actually imagine my friend..for you you see do not UNDERSTAND what it is that the Brotherhood of Oddfellowship means and therefore you attack it..we are a benevolent society devoted to the elevation of the character of mankind.......my writing it is not enough for you to fully understand it

I am sorry that you have chosen to insult so many who have helped others through theyre kindness and devotion

perhaps some day even you may find yourself in illness or distress and you can rest easy in knowing that if No One else is or can be there for you Brothers of Oddfellowship WILL be it is our tenant.

..for you you see do not UNDERSTAND what it is that the Brotherhood of Oddfellowship means and therefore you attack it..we are a benevolent society devoted to the elevation of the character of mankind.......my writing it is not enough for you to fully understand it

I am not attacking the Odd Fellows, I am attacking you. You come here and inquire if anyone has infomation about the Odd Fellows, when you are actualy an Odd Fellow yourself. Hence, you are obviously not looking for information since you belong to the order. So what is it you want? To help people in a "quest" to find loof information available to anyone via Google? Gimme a break. You are looking to "spill the beans" or more likely hoping that someone will ask you to do so. Why else would you put so much emphasis on the "secret" aspect of the Odd Fellow society?

The secrets of fraternal organizations generally fall into 2 catagories. (A) the type of secret used to bond the botherhood together like handshakes, rituals and "fancy-ceremonial-pants". All of which are basic "secret society" baloney that only members seem to think are worth keeping "secret". {B} secrets of criminal activity.

For all you know, I am a Free and Accepted Mason of the Blue Lodge as well as an Oddfellow..

For all you know I am a super-duper, double, grandwizard of the ultra, magical-mystery lodge and the keeper of the 7 keys of the holy-guacamole.

Edited by el midgetron

Its been a real pleasure speaking with you on this subject

nice to see you insult freemasonary as equally as you do oddfellowship

what is it about the fraternal Brotherhood that scares you so?

anyone can not gain everything they need in a google search

Im afraid there are no beans to spill where you are concerned

what a fine person you have been to meet in the last few days

enjoy the vitirol that seems to be consuming you

have a great evening

Are you talking about the "bait" you tossed out in this topic? Why dont you just say what ever it is about the Odd Fellows that you want to say and get over it. You are obviously not looking for information like your original post asked for. So, what it is? Do you want to tell us who is swapping spit with who at the local loof lodge? No one cares. Theres a loof lodge like 6 blocks from my house. Its where the town drunks hang out. I am sure if I cared to know any of the Odd Fellows "secrets" I could get them all for the price of a half-pint of booze.

This is the first I've heard of it too !!!

Is it now just a financial institution????..or is it how it funds itself????

"Athough no formal records exist, historians have advanced the theory that an Order of Odd Fellows was established in 1452 by knights who were said to have met at the Boulogne-sur-Mere in London and formed a fraternity.

Large meetings were treated with some suspicion in those days, and wisdom possibly dictated that it be prudent only to keep records on matters of great importance.

From these early days sprang two Orders of Odd Fellows, the 'Patriotic Order' and the 'Ancient Order'. The existence of the 'Patriotic' Order has been confirmed, as a copy of the rituals revised by a meeting of the Grand Lodge held in London in 1797 has come to hand.

The first constitutional record of the Order's founding is the Bond of Union to establish 'Amicable Lodge' Sheffield. A framed copy of the Bond dated January 6th 1798 and signed by the Grand Master and the Grand Secretary on behalf of the meeting of the Grand Lodge of the United Order of Odd Fellows is held at Head Office.

However, it is questionable if this really is the true date of the establishment of the Order as past publications indicate that the 'Amicable Lodge' declared independence in 1813. What records do not dispute, is the claim of the Grand United Order of Oddfellows to be the oldest Branch Friendly Society.

During these early days, there were a number of disputes and disagreements between the Grand Lodge and the Branches and this led to a special meeting being held, where a number of branches splintered off to form a new Order in 1810 - now better known as the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (Manchester Unity) Friendly Society."

http://www.guoofs.com/about/society_development/index.html

http://www.ioof.org/rebekahs.htm

Edited by crystal sage

I live about 2 blocks away from an Odd Fellows Lodge, i live about 6 blocks from a Mason Lodge. both lodges are always empty and just taking up space if you ask me......I also doubt any thing "Strange" is going on in these Lodges, Just a buch of old farts with a ton a money and not a damn thing to do..

• 3 months later...

Join us at http://groups.google.com/group/Eponymous

There a lots of serious ritual traders there posting all of the time. Mostly Greek orgs., but also other secret societies such as Oddfellows, Acacia, and Freemasons as well. It is a closed forum, so you may post freely as only other members with your interest are admitted.

Hope to see you there.

• 6 years later...

I live next door to an Oddfellows lodge and they need to learn how to cut their damn grass more than once a month! So sick of their 2 foot tall grass making our street ugly. Be benevolent to your neighbors by maintaining a decent yard. Most the time it looks like an abandoned building with no one to care for it and apparently the city doesn't care to MAKE them cut it. Half the time it only gets cut because of a neighbor down the street and his riding lawn mower.

I live next door to an Oddfellows lodge and they need to learn how to cut their damn grass more than once a month! So sick of their 2 foot tall grass making our street ugly. Be benevolent to your neighbors by maintaining a decent yard. Most the time it looks like an abandoned building with no one to care for it and apparently the city doesn't care to MAKE them cut it. Half the time it only gets cut because of a neighbor down the street and his riding lawn mower.

Thanks for the necro-thread. Why are you telling us and not the Oddfellows? Wait, don't tell me because I don't care about that either.

My understanding of the Oddfellows besides being used as a name for many pubs (public houses) is that it was one of many 'friendly societies' which flourished during the 19th century whose purpose was to look after the welfare of it's members and their families in times of financial hardship and ill health as this was a time before trade unions and free health care existed so these societies functioned in much the same way. There were many such organisations which took grandiose names, titles and claimed ancient lineage my own particular favourite being The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalos ( R.A.O.B ) which my grandfather was a member. I think such organisations that continue to this day operate in much the same way though in the UK at least I don't think their numbers are anywhere near what they were in their heyday.

Edited by aimlesswalk
  • Like 1