Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quakers one of the best denominations

brave_new_world

I'm a third generation Quaker, and I swear I never could figure out where people got the idea that the Quakers and Amish are somehow similar, and perhaps that's not what you meant, but I find it so funny that people constantly lump the two together.

If anything, Shakers are an off-shoot of the Quaker sect, although still very different--there are perhaps only 3-4 practicing Shakers in the world (they practice celebacy, kinda makes it hard to propagate a religion when no children are being born, their history is interesting though), there are maybe 55-60K Quakers. Another Christian sect that is somewhat similar to the Quakers are the liberal Mennonite sects.

Simple facts about Quakers:

• Quakerism began in England in the 1600's by George Fox.
  • Quakerism is also known as the Religious Society of Friends.
  • Quakers do not typically believe in baptism, confirmation, the eucharist, or any sacraments.
  • It's not uncommon to find Quakers who are agnostic.
  • Most, but not all, Quakers believe in the Trinity.
  • Quakers are highly meditative and wait patiently for God to speak through them. Most Quaker meetings are utterly silent with no minister. Although, there are Quaker sects that do have leaders (not necessarily ministers) and sermons.
  • Quakers do thier best to live simply. This is subjective in modern times. Typically today this means that you don't get yourself into debt, you don't own more than than is necessary, you care for the things you do own.
  • Quakers are non-violent and do not believe in war, capital punishment etc... (but not always, Richard Nixon among other soldiers and presidents were Quakers)
  • Quakers are dedicated to education and higher education. (Cornell University and Johns Hopkins are two of many well known Quaker Universities)
  • Quakers tend to be charitable and work to enhance their community and often engage in activist type activities.
  • Most Quaker Meetings accept members of all race, religion and sexual orientation. In modern times, many homosexual Christians have become liberal Quakers due to their inability to find any Christian denominations who accept them without prejudice.
  • Quaker Oats and Quaker State Motor Oil have nothing to do with Quakers :P
There are tons of many well-known Quakers from history and today:

Historical,

William Penn, Herbert Hoover, Daniel Boone, Richard Nixon, Betsy Ross, Susan B. Anthony, Lucretia Mott (activist), James Dean (actor), Walt Whitman, James Mitchner (author), Edward R. Murrow (journalist), George Fox. Elizabeth Fry (religious activist)

Today

Judy Dench (actor), Bonnie Raitt, Ben Kingsley (actor who portrayed Ghandi), Piers Anthony (author--grew up in a Quaker Family, but may not be an actual registered Quaker).

I believe the number of actual Quaker members is falling nation wide. Regular Meetings are on the decline and are increasingly difficult to find. In order to become a Quaker, you typically need to be associated with a Meeting, and entered as a member during a Quaker Business meeting. Most people accept Quakerism as a young adult or adult. Children born to Quaker families are not typically considered Quakers until they choose the path themselves as adults.

I hope that's helpful. Or at least marginally interesting. If you're interested in Quakerism, you can visit www.quaker.org and find out if there is a meeting house near you. Anyone is welcome at a Quaker Meeting.

"Be pattterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations, wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them. Then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world answering that of God in everyone." -- George Fox, Founder of Quakerism

Awesome

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brave_new_world

• sbradj

• MissMelsWell

• Jodie.Lynne

"Be pattterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations, wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them. Then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world answering that of God in everyone." -- George Fox, Founder of Quakerism

I have some George Fox quotes from a Book I will shortly post. You being a practicing Quaker, could you please put up some universal spiritual quotes or writings by Quakers or George Fox. You have already been very informative for us on this post and for that I thank you. Quakerism to me (apart from the mystics in the other mainstream sects who wernt as mainstream as their sects were , and the gnostics, in a sense both these dont count because they broke off from orthodox belief and were given sanctuary to practice what they did in their mainstream sect or were cast out and were hermits) seems to be the only organzied "universal christianity" left. The fact that unlike most indoctrinated christians here, they accept the fact that God is to be found regardless what religion you are, as long as to conform to the inpirations of the holy ghost or spirit within. And I think it was very courageous of George Fox to admit that one doesn't even have to recogonize the outward life of christ for deliverance. Again thank you for adding life to this thread.

Edited by brave_new_world

Quotes from George Fox (founder of the Quakers)

God can be experienced by every person through the presence of the indwelling Christ or Spirit.

Every human being must be respected because there is 'that of God' in everyone. Social inequalities are therefore, abhorrent and must be eliminated.

There is no distinction between clergy and laity, for all can and should know God directly.

that Every Man was enlightened by the Divine Light of Christ, and I saw it shine through all; And that they that believed in it came out of Condemnation and came to the Light, and became the Children of it; And that they that hated it and did not believe in it, were condemned by it, though they made a profession of Christ. This I saw in the pure Openings of Light, without the help of any Man, neither did I then know where to find it in the scriptures, though afterwards, searching the scriptures, I found it.

---George Fox writing on a mystical vision he had

Dwelling in the light, there is no occasion at all for stumbling, for all things are discovered in the light. When thou art walking abroad it is present with thee in thy bosom, thou needest not to say, Lo here, or Lo there; and as thou lyest in thy bed, it is present to teach thee and judge thy wandering mind, which wonders abroad, and thy high thoughts and imaginations, and makes them subject. For following thy thoughts, thou art quickly lost. By dwelling in the light, it will discover to thee the body of sin and thy corruptions and fallen estate, where thou art. In that light which shows thee all this, stand; go neither to the right nor to the left.

----George Fox on spiritual excercises

Edited by brave_new_world

Here is a good George Fox writing on Apostasy:

"And the true fellowship hath been lost, and sanctification and belief, and the righteousness since the apostle's days. For many have had the letter, but lost the life; the notion, but lost the possession; the profession, but lost the substance, Christ Jesus, but the true fellowship is in the Gospel, the power of God, which was before the devil was. And since man lost this power of God they have not known the scriptures aright, but they have set up fellowships by that spirit which is of him that is out of the truth, that have destroyed one another, and persecuted them which are in the power of God, which is the Gospel, which was before the devil, and all the fellowships in old Adam were, and will be when they are gone. Now the Gospel fellowship is a perfect fellowship, a pure and holy fellowship, it is an everlasting fellowship; for the power of God is everlasting, it is over the Jews' fellowship in the outward things, and the gentiles' fellowships, and the fellowship of bread, water, and wine; for these are no mysteries, the world's fellowship is no mystery...but the Gospel fellowship is a mystery, and none see it, but who come to the light of Christ, and to the truth in the inward parts"

----------

Unfortunately, I've never been one to remember quotes or passages... this is just one of Fox's fairly well known writings that I was able to look up pretty quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
"The Lord showed me, so that I did see clearly that he did not dwell in these temples which men had commanded and set up, but in people's hearts. . . .his people were his temple, and he dwelt in them. --George Fox