Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange noises outside my window

KBA

Hey everyone, I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has had anything like this happen.

So anyway, last night I was trying to fall asleep and I started hearing a noise outside my window. It had only 2 pitches and they alternated back and forth, kind of like a medic siren (but in the kind of tone you would expect to hear in a child's toy). The wierd thing about it though, was the distance. At first it was very faint and sounded far away, then it started rapidly sounding closer and further away. At one point it sounded like it was right next to me, and at some points before it completely went away it faded to be almost beyond hearing. I will try to replicate the noise on fruityloops to give everyone a good idea what it sounded like. Has anyone ever heard something similair in the night?

EDIT: A close replica of the noise is here although the noise was quite a bit slower and was changing its apparent distance as previously mentioned: http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wierdsoundgu4.swf

Edited by KBA

while I personally have never experienced a noise like that before....I have experienced noises.....some were explainable after further inspection...some were not. Maybe next time that you hear them....try going outside and see if you can figure out where the noise is originating from. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help to you though.

while I personally have never experienced a noise like that before....I have experienced noises.....some were explainable after further inspection...some were not. Maybe next time that you hear them....try going outside and see if you can figure out where the noise is originating from. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help to you though.

Well yeah I would've liked to do that but it was 2 am with snow all over the ground heh. I'm assuming it was probably a natural noise, just wondering if anyone else has heard something alike that I could compare it to.

Maybe its screeching brakes maybe due to the snow? Thats about the only thing that could sound like a siren - scraping metal as the brake pads try and lock or something. Interesting though. :yes:

I too have heard many strange noises outside my house at night but none like the ones you described. You should be careful when going outside to inspect such a noise in the middle of the night, I would advise extreme caution. You never stop to think why is it that you are hearing such a noise and what odd a noise it is to be outside your window at this time of night, for maybe someone or thing wants you to go outside and let your curiousity get the best of you. Just a thought. But if you're feeling brave, by all means, check it out. Just be careful.

I too have heard many strange noises outside my house at night but none like the ones you described. You should be careful when going outside to inspect such a noise in the middle of the night, I would advise extreme caution. You never stop to think why is it that you are hearing such a noise and what odd a noise it is to be outside your window at this time of night, for maybe someone or thing wants you to go outside and let your curiousity get the best of you. Just a thought. But if you're feeling brave, by all means, check it out. Just be careful.

Somebody's been watching too many horror movies.

Please try to make a replica of that noise KBA. I'm not sure, but I've been hearing strange noises too these past few days. They actually woke up up last night.

Maybe its screeching brakes maybe due to the snow? Thats about the only thing that could sound like a siren - scraping metal as the brake pads try and lock or something. Interesting though. :yes:

No, no it's a precise pattern of 2 alternating tones couldn't have been someone's brakes.

Please try to make a replica of that noise KBA. I'm not sure, but I've been hearing strange noises too these past few days. They actually woke up up last night.
Yeah, I just got home so I'll give it a shot, if anything I can at least get close im sure.

EDIT: Ok this is not exact but it sounded like this except a fair bit slower (and of course changing apparent distance as mentioned):

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wierdsoundgu4.swf

I actually had something like that happen once where I was too scared to go outside, well with all the hype I had heard about 06/06/06 and 3 AM being the "devils hour" Of course that's all just fun but when you hear an animal start shrieking horribly in your backyard so loud it wakes your whole family up at 3:47 AM on 06/06/06 it is a bit scary in the moment :P (No I have no belief in that it was just a funny coincidence after thinking about it, it was probably a cat, they come around my house often.)

Edited by KBA

By slower you mean that the 'diii doo dii doo dii doo" was more like 'diiiiiiiiiii dooooooooooooo diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii doooooooooooooooooooooo diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii dooooooooooooo'. and sounded less like clinking of metal? More like air whistling?

By slower you mean that the 'diii doo dii doo dii doo" was more like 'diiiiiiiiiii dooooooooooooo diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii doooooooooooooooooooooo diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii dooooooooooooo'. and sounded less like clinking of metal? More like air whistling?

Yeah that's what I mean by slower, but it didn't sound much like wind wistling, it was more soft than what I was able to produce for sure, it was very flowing, 1 tone then the other and the timing was always the same.

The aliens are coming. :alien:

Maybe it was a siren... from an ambulance circling the block, perhaps? I don't know, just a thought. But did you ask a neighbor if they heard it as well?

Sounds manmade....an ambulance or firetruck going down the road would cause it to sound the way you describe at a distance. The farther away....the slower it sounds?

I guess it depends on how fast the sound was moving towards and away from him. Also, if the sound really did sound like an emergency vehicle siren, or just similar... I'm sure KBA is intelligent enough to know the difference.

Sounds manmade....an ambulance or firetruck going down the road would cause it to sound the way you describe at a distance. The farther away....the slower it sounds?

Nah it was changing volume very rapidly and randomly, for about 5 minutes. And it wasa soft tone, not a siren.

It sounded like it came from some sort of electric device. I can't imagine succh a precise timing happening naturally.

The speed never changed. Only the volume, which obviously would denote distance.

I guess it depends on how fast the sound was moving towards and away from him. Also, if the sound really did sound like an emergency vehicle siren, or just similar... I'm sure KBA is intelligent enough to know the difference.

It was quite rapidly changing. at one point it went from "I swear it's right next to me" to: "Wait I think I'm losing it" and then back again in about 15 seconds. I wanted to grab my mini recorder but i couldn't find it.

Edited by KBA

I have heard scratching in the walls but I figure it is mice or demon mice maybe. But once hunting in N. Cal. I was awakened at 2 am by a shreiking howl that almost made me urinate. It repeated itself several times and I was able to vector the sound and went back to sleep with my firearm cocked and locked. In the morning I hiked toward the area of the sound and stumbled upon "Bigfoot Researchers". They were making those noises and amplifying them. I thanked them for scaring the crap out of me as well as any game animals I was after. Yeah, life is good.

I have heard scratching in the walls but I figure it is mice or demon mice maybe. But once hunting in N. Cal. I was awakened at 2 am by a shreiking howl that almost made me urinate. It repeated itself several times and I was able to vector the sound and went back to sleep with my firearm cocked and locked. In the morning I hiked toward the area of the sound and stumbled upon "Bigfoot Researchers". They were making those noises and amplifying them. I thanked them for scaring the crap out of me as well as any game animals I was after. Yeah, life is good.

Man they're lucky they don't get their arses whipped for that crap.

I heard this sort of thing once when I went backpacking in the mountains. It was pitch black, around midinight.... The 3 people with me heard it too. It was the same as you described, having a strange un-natural alarm type sound and changing location rapidly. We even searched around the edges of the campsite but couldn't find anything. I have a lot of experience with camping and the outdoors and this was the only time I encountered such a strange noise. I'm fairly certain it was some type of animal, I have heard birds that sound similar (noise from their wings flapping). But birds don't usually fly at midnight.

Edited by uhmanduh

I've seen heard this same noise you're describing lately. I was thinking it was coming from an engine of a car, but I've never heard a sound like this coming from any engine in my life. It really started to get my alarm when I woke from my sleep with sleep paralysis, with certain strange hallucinations and later heard this noise again.

It's nothing but child toy robots coming to take your underpants....

go back to sleep.

:rofl:

Could be a loud alarm of some sort going off in the distance. Shifting winds would make it sound as if it's approaching or receding.

That's what I would guess, although it wasn't reallyy windy.. and when it went away it faded out rather than abruptly stopping, as I would expect from an alarm of some sort.

It wouldn't have to be windy where you were, only where the sound was, for it to change.

I just have one question:

What is fruityloops?