Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'US is within our firing range'

Mars

Tehran - A top Iranian cleric said on Friday the United States was within Iran's "firing range", a day after supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei vowed to hit back at US interests worldwide if attacked.

"Americans have surrounded us but it works to our advantage. They are within our firing range in the east, west and elsewhere," Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati said in his Friday prayer sermon carried live on state radio.

He was referring to the US military presence in neighbouring Iraq and Afghanistan as well as in the Gulf waters off southern Iran.

"Would you dare to violate Iranian borders? See what harm will be done to you then," said Jananti, who heads the hardline electoral watchdog the Guardians Council.

Khamenei on Thursday warned that Iran would hit back at American interests worldwide if the United States attacked the Islamic republic to thwart its nuclear programme.

No plans to invade Iran

In response to Khamenei's comments the White House said it has no plans to invade Iran, and downplayed the significance of reinforcing the US military presence in the Gulf region.

A commander of Iran's elite revolutionary guards said on Friday: "The entire Persian Gulf is within the guards' missile range and if foreign forces are to carry out any operations they are the ones to be most hurt".

"In the worst situations we are able to turn the region into burning hell and take the possibility of using the Persian Gulf away from them forever," Rear Admiral Mohammad Ebrahim Dehghani said, quoted by semi-official Mehr news agency.

His comments came after the Guards held a new round of war games in the strategic Gulf, where they test-fired land-to-sea missile with a range of 350km and a new Russian-made air defence missile.

Iran, which is under UN sanctions for its repeated defiance of the West over its nuclear programme, has repeatedly vowed it will not cave in to the key demand that it freeze uranium enrichment.

Washington believes Tehran wants the bomb, an allegation firmly denied by the Islamic republic.

source: http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,...2067017,00.html

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pinky Floyd

• Fluffybunny

• Moondoggy

• Mars

The Euros are downplaying this, but I believe it will be the Euros that clip Iran's wings (through sanctions-that is, if Israel doesn't nuke the Iranian facilities first). They have so much more to lose, considering that Iran getting the bomb will result in many more M.E. countries wanting and getting a nuke (a possible inter-Islamic nuclear arms race? crap..:passifier: ), and well, eventually the poo will hit the fan big time. And it will all be in the Euros backyard. Better them than me, I guess.

Put on your sunglasses. It's soon probably gonna get really bright outside. B)

Edited by Pinky Floyd

I personally don't think that there is any reason to attack in the first place, but that is another thread.

Sanctions are plenty enough to keep iran from building nukes; they depend a lot on imports and if the UN decides that sanctions are appropriate they would have a devistating effect on the iranian economy.

We could take down their infrastruture from the air if we needed to but Iran loves to sabre rattle and that is what is going on now; they wouldn't be stupid enough to attack the US...we could have a lot of resources on their doorstep in a very short period of time and there isn't a heck of a lot they can do against our missile systems...

Just another case of loudmouthed leadership...there seems to be plenty of that going around these days.

Edited by Fluffybunny

Spent nuclear fuel, heavy water and cetrifuges is all they need to be on their way to having weapons grade material. No sanction will stop that, nor do I think Russia would honor any sanction and will continue to deal with Iran for oil.

I can see it now, human waves moving across the border of Iraq in such numbers that Bush finds an excuse to use the neutron bomb. The Shia inside Iraq turn against their American captors, which causes the Sunni to do the same. Suddenly, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Islam is united under the command of one supreme spiritual leader and warrior, but who is he? Does he wear the blue turban of Nostradamus' third Antichrist? Will Osama resurface to lead the charge?

This could get savagely interesting. Get ready for the draft you little pot smokers. Canada is CLOSED.

The Euros are downplaying this, but I believe it will be the Euros that clip Iran's wings (through sanctions-that is, if Israel doesn't nuke the Iranian facilities first). They have so much more to lose, considering that Iran getting the bomb will result in many more M.E. countries wanting and getting a nuke (a possible inter-Islamic nuclear arms race? crap..:passifier: ), and well, eventually the poo will hit the fan big time. And it will all be in the Euros backyard. Better them than me, I guess.

Put on your sunglasses. It's soon probably gonna get really bright outside. B)

I am starting to believe, from your posts, that you actually and repeatedly want things to happen, Floyd. Do you live in some kind of hollywood-romanticized-war-dream?

I personally don't think that there is any reason to attack in the first place, but that is another thread.

Sanctions are plenty enough to keep iran from building nukes; they depend a lot on imports and if the UN decides that sanctions are appropriate they would have a devistating effect on the iranian economy.

We could take down their infrastruture from the air if we needed to but Iran loves to sabre rattle and that is what is going on now; they wouldn't be stupid enough to attack the US...we could have a lot of resources on their doorstep in a very short period of time and there isn't a heck of a lot they can do against our missile systems...

Just another case of loudmouthed leadership...there seems to be plenty of that going around these days.

Maybe sanctions should be put on any countries who continue to make nuclear missiles.

Oh, wait, five countries don't apply to that rule...interesting.

I don't think any country should have nukes, so you can lighten up on the cheeky comments...

Spent nuclear fuel, heavy water and cetrifuges is all they need to be on their way to having weapons grade material. No sanction will stop that, nor do I think Russia would honor any sanction and will continue to deal with Iran for oil.

Your right Russia and China along with Iran are part of a 7 nation alliance. If anyone attacks Iran the Russians and Chinese would retaliate.

"In the worst situations we are able to turn the region into burning hell and take the possibility of using the Persian Gulf away from them forever," Rear Admiral Mohammad Ebrahim Dehghani said, quoted by semi-official Mehr news agency.

source: http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,...2067017,00.html

something tells me that they wouldn't hesitate to act on a "worst situation". scary, very scary.

I am sure glad I listened to that other guy who said Iran has never threatened anybody. I feel so much better now.

Pinky floyd is angry about europe because his friends/relatives had a bad time here, in france and uk . He thinks it is an unwarranted and unneccessary bias brought on possibly by jealousy because europeans cant be americans and go to the super bowl. The reason is nothing whatsover to do with american theivery in iraq , it has nothing to do with a criminal government killing, torturing and maiming thousands of innocent civilians. It is all to do with jealousy. Pinky floyd wants all americans to go home , isolate themselves.. let the rest of the world look on in its envy because they are not coming out to play anymore. I only wish pinky could be your president.

"If you're receiving flack, it must mean you're over the target.."

How about refuting what I have to say with logic and examples, instead of whining about me like a sleepy 3rd grader?

Already Putin is clearly drawing the line with regards to Russia's intent which is a potentially scary situation. If I had to guess, I would say Israel will strike Iran first, maybe not with nukes because of the fallout aftermath. I think Russia would retaliate on Iran's behalf. This would be the worse case scenario the world could face. I am sure that America is looking at that potential and may decide to roll the dice early on to avoid Russia deepening her roots into Iranian affairs.

“The problems with Iran will not be resolved through economic sanctions alone.” (direct quote)

“Attempts to engage the Iranian administration in a negotiating process have not so far succeeded,” (duh)

And that's NOT America talking. As of today, that's what the Euros are now saying.

Surprise! :)

Too late to halt Iran’s nuclear bomb, EU is told

And it's all in your backyard. :yes: Maybe the lightbulbs are finally going off. Just a little too late, (per your own memos compiled by the staff of Javier Solana, EU foreign policy chief ..)

Edited by Pinky Floyd

If the U.S attack Iran, Russia could easliy take out American Oil interests in Alaska which would hurt. And with most of the forces in the Middle East, U.S would be wide open to an attack on there mainland. That is if Russia are a true allie.

If the U.S attack Iran, Russia could easliy take out American Oil interests in Alaska which would hurt
That is if Russia are a true allie.
That is the most important questin in my opinion. Would they risk Moscow or Petragrad to get even with the U.S. over Tehran? I've read a number of articles that insinuate that they would. Personally, I really don't know. I assume that they would probably turn off the Natural Gas supply to Europe in protest but, I don't know if they would take any further steps. The Russians are just now really coming into their own after the dark ages of the Soviet Union. I'm not sure that they would risk that just yet.
I think Russia would retaliate on Iran's behalf. This would be the worse case scenario the world could face. I am sure that America is looking at that potential and may decide to roll the dice early on to avoid Russia deepening her roots into Iranian affairs.
If you add this statement to what I was saying earlier, you can see a reasoning for waiting until early spring before taking any action against Iran. I'm betting on maybe April.

I am sure glad I listened to that other guy who said Iran has never threatened anybody. I feel so much better now.
This reminds me of the joke about the old jew reading a NAZI propaganda pamphlet. His freind asks him why and he says: In the real newspapers, Jews are being killed din pogroms all over Europe, in the NAZI news, I read that we are the rulers of the planet!". Edited by Lord Umbarger