Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost hunters protection?

stejens

Hi everyone,

Im new here and was searching for a paranormal forum and found this to be the most livliest and well set out so thought id join this one,

Anyway,me and some friends have started a ghost hunting team and have never done it before or researched anything about it but have always been interested in the subject,

I have been chosen as the researcher/historian B) so am now researching and finding out a few things before we do a hunt,

The main thing im looking to know for now is what kind of protection would we need before we go,things to protect ourselves from encoutering an evil spirit and so on,also any other important information that we may need for doing it please let me know,

Thanks very much.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LadyHay

• kiddglock

• Barek Halfhand

• stejens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would highly recomend you actually reseach the matter before you start a team. You can't just see it on t.v. and think it is cool then just pick up and do it yourself. There is a lot to know, and though everybody has more to learn, you should at least know a bit before getting into it. You should never get into anything with out knowing what you are getting into.

Welcome to the forum :tu: !!

I would MOST definately get my ducks in a row on the protection aspect of it... before I went anywhere...Good luck.

I would highly recomend you actually reseach the matter before you start a team. You can't just see it on t.v. and think it is cool then just pick up and do it yourself. There is a lot to know, and though everybody has more to learn, you should at least know a bit before getting into it. You should never get into anything with out knowing what you are getting into.

This is something I express to when I am asked. When it comes to protection it depends on your beliefs on protection. Christians will pray, mystics will use a spell and so on. Faith is every thing with spiritual protection if you do not believe in spells dont use spells if you dont believe in God dont pray. One aspect I have allways looked at is the best way to stay out of trouble is to stay away from trouble. If you ever feel uneasy about investigating a haunting go with your gut and keep away.

This is something I express to when I am asked. When it comes to protection it depends on your beliefs on protection. Christians will pray, mystics will use a spell and so on. Faith is every thing with spiritual protection if you do not believe in spells dont use spells if you dont believe in God dont pray. One aspect I have allways looked at is the best way to stay out of trouble is to stay away from trouble. If you ever feel uneasy about investigating a haunting go with your gut and keep away.

why did you quote me?

why did you quote me?

I was agreeing with what you said.

oh, ok, I was a little confused.

What if you're an athiest??

Then go with what you feel is right. Most people who are athiest do not believe in a spirit world anyway. But those who do would go with what ever they feel protects them from an entity. Like Eegon on Ghostbusters, he was athiest so he created a weapon to protect himself from ghosts in the proton pack weapon.

Then go with what you feel is right. Most people who are athiest do not believe in a spirit world anyway. But those who do would go with what ever they feel protects them from an entity. Like Eegon on Ghostbusters, he was athiest so he created a weapon to protect himself from ghosts in the proton pack weapon.

Makes sense.

I agree about having faith in what you believe in, be it God, Goddess, spells, protection rituals, talismans, religious items....whatever you prefer.

If you've seen the movie 'The Mummy'? You'll remember that guy Benny and his protective religious neckleces he wore? I liked his idea and it ended up saving his @ss when the evil "Mummy was about to chew him up! :lol:

One other tip I could give you is make sure you have a good team with you... there is nothing more annoying than the scaredy-cat who cries and wants to go home at the first bump in the dark! :rolleyes: I was recently convinced by some friends to go along "Ghost Hunting" with them to help them find the ghosties... I didn't want one friend to go because I know how scared she gets and would end up having nightmares the rest of the week... She insisted she was good and would not be scared, she promised not to run away screaming making a scene. Well as soon as we got to the place, we hear this strange noise, like something being dragged (we are just outside having parked the cars) She freaks out and starts clawing at the car door to get inside... she's done for the night! LOL It turned out to be a plastic bag being dragged/blown by the wind across the cement. But we were all feeling creepy with her screaming already and decided to just go home. <_<

I'm not a particularly religious person. I've never felt threatened or in danger during an investigation. Not yet anyway.

One thing I will do is as we leave a location I say out loud "If there are any ghosts or spirits here you have to stay here. You can't come with us." I was told this does make a difference. Who knows.

In general, actually physical danger from the paranormal is rare. I would be more concerned about the "danger" to your psychi and your religious beliefs (or not beliefs). You have to be pretty well rooted in reality to be a paranormal investigator. You may encounter something that rocks the foundations of your thinking and religious stand.

Some people say that you have more to fear from the living than from the dead. I find that to be true. I always carry at least a Sig Arms P226 .40 S&W pistol with me on investigations. Sometimes I have carried even more protection than that. Just make sure you do it legally, I'm an ex police officer with a permit to carry, so I'm OK.

I second the idea that the more dangerous entities you encounter are likely to be living humans, or even animals - seems like there's always talk of cultists and Klan members and such that hang out at "haunted" places, though I wonder how much of THAT is also total BS. Protect yourself from unreasoning fears and baseless assumptions, jumping to conclusions and your own views or those of others biasing your research.

When my younger cousin had lead his group (and invited me along), he tends to do a short silent prayer, mainly to himself, upon leaving. Some people do the White Light of Protection. I myself don't do anything.

Some people say that you have more to fear from the living than from the dead. I find that to be true. I always carry at least a Sig Arms P226 .40 S&W pistol with me on investigations. Sometimes I have carried even more protection than that. Just make sure you do it legally, I'm an ex police officer with a permit to carry, so I'm OK.

Amen brother.

Thanks for the comments ;)

With religion i am kind of an athiest,i was born christian and christened but over the years have lost my belief somewhere along the line,i guess there may be that little percentage in me that believes or wants to believe but i find it hard to do so,

With the ghost hunting,we are not going to try and tune in and such but our first hunts are mainly going to be photographic ones where we will just find a few locations said to be haunted and just snap a few pictures to see if we get any orbs/apparitions,but that is all as because we are not very knowledgable on the subject we dont want to start off at the deep end,im not sure anything can go wrong by just taking pictures but like i say i have no idea,one of our locations we have planned is famous for sightings of ''black shuck'' which in my opinion is a bad idea to have on our list,

Also i live in England so it is unfortunate .JJ. that i cant use your style of protection ^_^

Hello Mr Stejens

this forum is the most objective, there seems to be an understanding between believers and skeptics that provides for good discussion and not debate and criticism..this is where you SHOULD start read all posts reply with questions or comments, be opened minded and in a month or to see if you perspective has changed ,but it is imperative that you

keep on reading these every day to pick out consistancies in these stories....Tip: SP (sleep paralyisis) is so similar to people that experience a "presence" that even the skeptics WONT touch it......B

Edited by Barek Halfhand

Thanks for the comments ;)

With religion i am kind of an athiest,i was born christian and christened but over the years have lost my belief somewhere along the line,i guess there may be that little percentage in me that believes or wants to believe but i find it hard to do so,

With the ghost hunting,we are not going to try and tune in and such but our first hunts are mainly going to be photographic ones where we will just find a few locations said to be haunted and just snap a few pictures to see if we get any orbs/apparitions,but that is all as because we are not very knowledgable on the subject we dont want to start off at the deep end,im not sure anything can go wrong by just taking pictures but like i say i have no idea,one of our locations we have planned is famous for sightings of ''black shuck'' which in my opinion is a bad idea to have on our list,

Also i live in England so it is unfortunate .JJ. that i cant use your style of protection ^_^

Don't think nothing can go wrong just from taking a few pictures. My mother and I were at a location just taking pictures, we were there all of ten minutes and I just needed pictures of something for some reseach, but sure enough, something followed her home. It lingered around for a few weeks before finally departing.

And be careful with those "orb" pictures, if you post any of them (and trust me, you will get them) you will surely be shot down by at least a couple people. Orbs can be explained in so many different (and non-paranormal) ways that nobody takes them seriously anymore. Which is, in my opinion, a good thing because there were so many times people insisted that they had eveidence of a haunting when all they really had was dust, a bug or a long list of other things. There are many threads here about orbs that you should read, it with help you with your pictures because it will help you learn what things can cause that effect.

Hi everyone,

Im new here and was searching for a paranormal forum and found this to be the most livliest and well set out so thought id join this one,

Anyway,me and some friends have started a ghost hunting team and have never done it before or researched anything about it but have always been interested in the subject,

I have been chosen as the researcher/historian B) so am now researching and finding out a few things before we do a hunt,

The main thing im looking to know for now is what kind of protection would we need before we go,things to protect ourselves from encoutering an evil spirit and so on,also any other important information that we may need for doing it please let me know,

Thanks very much.

I do not know that you can truely protect yourself from any encounter that you may come across. I guess it depends on where your hunt is and the history behind it. Do you have more information on the location of your hunt?

Wow :huh: take a long a gun on a ghost hunt???

Great advice! Remind me to never go on an investigation with you!

In all honesty where are you people going that you might run into unsavory humans? Unless you are going to somewhere you have no business going, there is no need for weaponry. Just what we need, a bunch of jumpy people shooting at the slightest noise.

Edited to add: If you are an ex police officer, then you know about trespassing laws, right?

Edited by Hezzbelle

Yes, if you are attacked in England, the only legal course of action involving a weapon would be to turn it on yourself.

Sometimes you hit on something and it gets really easy to separate who's real from the poseurs. Know what I mean? :yes:

If you're going to look for ghosts/spirits etc, why would you want to protect yourself and in effect banish them from being around you? Isn't that slightly counter-productive?

Surely you'd want as much activity as possible around you, and only then, if you felt threatened, then use some protection...?

:geek: