Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost hunters protection?

stejens

I just wanted to clarify in case anyone didn't get that I was being soooo sarcastic in my last post.

I think that bringing guns on an investigation is the dumbest idea EVER. Firstly, you should not ever be anywhere you have no right to be i.e. "abandoned" buildings, cemeteries after closing, etc. Secondly, just because someone is legally permitted to carry arms, does NOT make him safe to be around.

I just really wanted to drive that point home. Its not the first time I have ever heard of such stupidity.

About the general protection against being harmed by ghosts - this is a VERY unlikely scenario. To date, this has never happened to me or any of my colleagues. If you are scared or nervous about "meeting" a ghost/spirit, maybe a small, private word against fear would be appropriate. I know of groups who do a group prayer before each investigation, but that somehow seems a bit presumptious. After all, we dont all necessarily share the same beliefs. I'm sure whatever you choose to do would be appropriate for the situation.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LadyHay

• kiddglock

• Barek Halfhand

• stejens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can only think of a few places (conceptually) that you might need a gun for protection. But in those cases IMO you have no business being there in the first place. There are plenty of safer places to investigate.

A few times in some wooded areas we've encountred some beer drinking teens, who often scatter thinking we're cops! ;)

What many non-firearm-carrying persons do not understand is this: if you have a handgun and a license to carry, then you carry. You carry everywhere that it's not specifically prohibited by law. There are several good reasons for this.

That said, I don't feel a particularly acute need to carry a handgun in a purportedly haunted location. If it were in New Orleans, then maybe, simply because it's New Orleans.

I'm not debating the right to carry or selfprotection. I'm saying what kind of places are so active yet so dangerous that a an investigator you'd risk a confrontation to explore? While anything can happen anywhere, surely there are safer locales to investigate.

I do not know that you can truely protect yourself from any encounter that you may come across. I guess it depends on where your hunt is and the history behind it. Do you have more information on the location of your hunt?

Hello jsilvestro,

The information of the first place is just a small country lane surrounded by fields said to have high risidule energy,coming from what is said to be a headless horseman that drives a carriage along it on dark nights,

I went here a couple of years ago when someone mentioned it and they drove up to show me and i felt something unusual,

So now that a team has been formed we decided to go up there on our first investigation and take a few pictures and see if we can find anything on film.

I researched into this location and found the headless horsemans carriage to be a true and known story.

If you're going to look for ghosts/spirits etc, why would you want to protect yourself and in effect banish them from being around you? Isn't that slightly counter-productive?

Surely you'd want as much activity as possible around you, and only then, if you felt threatened, then use some protection...?

:geek:

The protection idea was mainly for instance to stop any bad spirits coming near us and also to stop any possibilities of them following us to our homes when we leave,

Basically when we go,we hope that we will only encouter good spirits that do no harm and leave us be when we leave.

If you are scared or nervous about "meeting" a ghost/spirit, maybe a small, private word against fear would be appropriate.

This is probally my biggest problem,

Although we are there for it i am still nervous/scared about actually meeting one and the main problem is knowing what will happen after we meet one i.e will it be bad or will it follow us home and mainly will it mess with my head so that i turn mad or something,

But not knowing the unknown can always be scary.

What many non-firearm-carrying persons do not understand is this: if you have a handgun and a license to carry, then you carry. You carry everywhere that it's not specifically prohibited by law. There are several good reasons for this.

You're right. I do not understand this. Never had the need to use a gun other than for target practice. All I know is that licenced or no, if you're carrying, you're definitely not on my team. Could you imagine how I would explain that to a witness when we show up at their home?

Also, Boorite, you never named any good reasons for carrying a weapon although I can certainly appreciate your sentiment about not feeling the necessity to carry one on an investigation.

It just gets me that the person who bragged about carrying doesn't seem to get how its a bad idea. The only place I can think of the possibility of needing one is if one is in a place one is not supposed to be. Take it one step further, since one is not supposed to be there, one would be skulking around with other members. How long does it take before one of the skulkers is mistaken for an outsider? I'm sorry, is that only obvious to a few of us?

This is probally my biggest problem,

Although we are there for it i am still nervous/scared about actually meeting one and the main problem is knowing what will happen after we meet one i.e will it be bad or will it follow us home and mainly will it mess with my head so that i turn mad or something,

But not knowing the unknown can always be scary.

I had the same problem. Everyone I know and work with has had an experience with ghosts and seemingly wasn't fearful of meeting with the unknown. Since I had very little personal experience, I had almost a phobia of finding a ghost/spirit. Luckily for me, my curiosity and somewhat sceptical mind helped me perservere. I think that my experiences since with the unknown have kind of prepared me more. I've had many unexplainable experiences now, and have "met up" with something that one might describe as ghostly or ethereal. I'm not jumpy anymore. Hopefully it will work like this with you as well. I carried a talisman with me and did some protective work during this time as well.

You're right. I do not understand this. Never had the need to use a gun other than for target practice. All I know is that licenced or no, if you're carrying, you're definitely not on my team. Could you imagine how I would explain that to a witness when we show up at their home?

Also, Boorite, you never named any good reasons for carrying a weapon although I can certainly appreciate your sentiment about not feeling the necessity to carry one on an investigation.

It just gets me that the person who bragged about carrying doesn't seem to get how its a bad idea. The only place I can think of the possibility of needing one is if one is in a place one is not supposed to be. Take it one step further, since one is not supposed to be there, one would be skulking around with other members. How long does it take before one of the skulkers is mistaken for an outsider? I'm sorry, is that only obvious to a few of us?

I would say if you grew up where I did, carrying a weapon is necessary. I don't think the person who "bragged" about carrying is so clueless that they think it's a perfect idea all the time. No one said that. There are plenty of good reasons and places to carry. I'm not comfortable around handguns myself (I'm a klutz sometimes) but that doesn't mean I haven't carried them before and I won't ever carry them again. I might disagree with boorite about if you have a license to carry, then you carry all the time (except where prohibited), but I know exactly what he's talking about.

I would say if you grew up where I did, carrying a weapon is necessary. I don't think the person who "bragged" about carrying is so clueless that they think it's a perfect idea all the time. No one said that. There are plenty of good reasons and places to carry. I'm not comfortable around handguns myself (I'm a klutz sometimes) but that doesn't mean I haven't carried them before and I won't ever carry them again. I might disagree with boorite about if you have a license to carry, then you carry all the time (except where prohibited), but I know exactly what he's talking about.

But my argument clearly states that if you are going to be going where you feel you would need a weapon, its likely that you shouldn't be there at all in the first place. I wouldn't put my team at risk like that (being in a dangerous area) Put that scenario with possibly already jumpy people, and I think it is just a disaster waiting to happen. There is a group out there with a website that is really into weaponry on each and every investigation. I think its a bad idea. Then again, I'm from western Canada. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Then again, I don't know anyone personally who has been accidentally killed by a gun. But I hear about it in the news.

I always carry at least a Sig Arms P226 .40 S&W pistol with me on investigations. Sometimes I have carried even more protection than that.

Scary. Again, where is this person going that he feels the need to be armed? He and I must do different kinds of investigating. Sounds like classic investigating of supposedly abandoned buildings to me.

But my argument clearly states that if you are going to be going where you feel you would need a weapon, its likely that you shouldn't be there at all in the first place. I wouldn't put my team at risk like that (being in a dangerous area) Put that scenario with possibly already jumpy people, and I think it is just a disaster waiting to happen. There is a group out there with a website that is really into weaponry on each and every investigation. I think its a bad idea. Then again, I'm from western Canada. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Then again, I don't know anyone personally who has been accidentally killed by a gun. But I hear about it in the news.

Scary. Again, where is this person going that he feels the need to be armed? He and I must do different kinds of investigating. Sounds like classic investigating of supposedly abandoned buildings to me.

Well, if you live in an area where you can be attacked just going to your mailbox, why wouldn't you also carry on an investigation? Not every haunted location is a little old lady's house in a nice little park with cute forest animals romping around merrily. And just because someone goes armed, doesn't mean they're investigating abandoned buildings. Depending on the location, the cute little park is more dangerous than an abandoned building. Like Hyde Park.

Well, if you live in an area where you can be attacked just going to your mailbox, why wouldn't you also carry on an investigation? Not every haunted location is a little old lady's house in a nice little park with cute forest animals romping around merrily. And just because someone goes armed, doesn't mean they're investigating abandoned buildings. Depending on the location, the cute little park is more dangerous than an abandoned building. Like Hyde Park.

I see what you are saying Ivy. I guess I operate differently. The parks we have gone to, we have done so in the daytime and abide by the bylaws in place here. Then after that, its mostly private homes, and business establishments. If I thought there would be a need for protection to go somewhere, we just wouldn't go. I don't need the thrill that bad.

I see what you are saying Ivy. I guess I operate differently. The parks we have gone to, we have done so in the daytime and abide by the bylaws in place here. Then after that, its mostly private homes, and business establishments. If I thought there would be a need for protection to go somewhere, we just wouldn't go. I don't need the thrill that bad.

Yeah, but like I said, in a place where you can get assaulted picking up your mail, it's still a good idea to have protection at any time, even investigations.

You're right. I do not understand this. Never had the need to use a gun other than for target practice.

That's understandable. Many people never need to have anything to do with handguns.

As for going into someone's home with a handgun, I'd say a person should absolutely respect the wishes of the homeowner in the matter, and if there is any doubt, then the weapon should be left locked up somewhere.

Also, Boorite, you never named any good reasons for carrying a weapon

Beause this isn't a weapons forum. And I wrote that if you are licensed to carry, and you have a handgun, then you carry it, except where it's prohibited. That's what it's for. And it does you less than no good if you don't have it on your person. As we agree, that's not something that everyone is in a position to understand. Not everyone has any use for a handgun.

although I can certainly appreciate your sentiment about not feeling the necessity to carry one on an investigation.

Yeah, I don't see anything about investigating a haunting that particularly calls for carrying weapons.

It just gets me that the person who bragged about carrying doesn't seem to get how its a bad idea.

Cops are more likely to go somewhere without their eyeglasses or dentures than without a handgun. It's like putting on pants to them.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that we should trespass in the course of any investigation. Or shoot at someone who isn't trying to kill you.

I've noticed that some people react with shock and disgust at the idea of routinely carrying a weapon, especially a firearm. It's understandable, but it's important to keep in mind that shock or disgust is an emotional reaction, and that's all it is. Some people feel that way about handguns, and others don't.

But I think it's brought up some important points about investigating. First, it's necessary to respect the rights and wishes of property owners. Second, if you don't feel physically safe at a location, even if you have permission to go there, the best self-defense is to simply stay away. I would not go into a place where I thought it was especially likely that I'd have to shoot somebody. Not for fun, anyway. I think everyone agrees with those two things-- in principle at least.

That's understandable. Many people never need to have anything to do with handguns.

But I think it's brought up some important points about investigating. First, it's necessary to respect the rights and wishes of property owners. Second, if you don't feel physically safe at a location, even if you have permission to go there, the best self-defense is to simply stay away. I would not go into a place where I thought it was especially likely that I'd have to shoot somebody. Not for fun, anyway. I think everyone agrees with those two things-- in principle at least.

Thank you Boorite. I can sort of understand the cop scenario and liken it to civilians who are licenced. I get that.

I still stand firm that an investigation is no place for one, simply because of the type of activity involved. I certainly wouldn't feel safe with someone carrying a gun. I have no idea what his skills are or if he's nervous and jumpy or trigger happy.

I don't really have a problem with guns and i'm not repulsed or shocked by them, except when someone says that they carry one with them to all investigations. Then I am shocked and have no desire for someone like that on my team.

If the head of any organization had a rule against carrying firearms while on official business, I'd respect that. But if we got attacked by a speed freak with a meat axe, boy would I be irritated.

Quite frankly Hezbelle, your posts are very offensive. Here in the US many people are licensed to carry weapons concealed. You use the word "bragged" when all the poster did was state that they carried a weapon on some investigations. Then you go on to act as if you would be in charge of any investigation that you might deign to go on. Many of the sites mentioned in the US are in bad areas where there are threats from humans. Nobody said anything about trespassing or shooting stuff up. Why would you, as a Canadian, think that you know everything about US laws, let alone conditions here in the US? I'd never go on any kind of an investigation where people who didn't know what they were about were carrying guns or any other kinds of weapons. Then again, most places worth investigating actually call for people to carry weapons because of the place or the conditions. Why not just give the benefit of a doubt rather than attack people here?

If the head of any organization had a rule against carrying firearms while on official business, I'd respect that. But if we got attacked by a speed freak with a meat axe, boy would I be irritated.

lol

The protection idea was mainly for instance to stop any bad spirits coming near us and also to stop any possibilities of them following us to our homes when we leave,

Basically when we go,we hope that we will only encouter good spirits that do no harm and leave us be when we leave.

I could understand why that notion would be of some concern to anyone new to the field of paranormal research, but honestly, the number of reports of 'things' following people home is minimal. Spirits are like people (in fact some were...) and they behave in all the ways that we do - unpredictable, in effect. You will never only encounter 'good' spirits. My advice would be to take any experience you can get.

And if something follows you home, just tell it to leave you alone. It will.

Quite frankly Hezbelle, your posts are very offensive.

Then have me banned. I do not think mine was anywhere near as offensive as yours. I have been polite. Sorry you don't agree with me; I guess that's your MO, if someone doesn't agree with you they're offensive?

Here in the US many people are licensed to carry weapons concealed. You use the word "bragged" when all the poster did was state that they carried a weapon on some investigations. Then you go on to act as if you would be in charge of any investigation that you might deign to go on.
I do direct a team in Canada. So yes, I would be in charge and no, I would never allow guns on an investigation. Most investigations that we perform are residential and/or businesses. And yeah, I felt he bragged. He didn't just say, "gun" - he went on to say exactly what kind of gun, in kind of a "big guy" manner.

Many of the sites mentioned in the US are in bad areas where there are threats from humans. Nobody said anything about trespassing or shooting stuff up. Why would you, as a Canadian, think that you know everything about US laws, let alone conditions here in the US?

Why would I as a Canadian know anything about US gun laws? HUH??? who was talking about gun laws?? I never said anything about shooting stuff up. I am concerned that someone could be trigger happy. Guns and potentially tense situations do not mix, IMO. I was merely stating an opinion about guns and ghost investigations. Don't get your knickers in a knot.

I'd never go on any kind of an investigation where people who didn't know what they were about were carrying guns or any other kinds of weapons.
Right, so you'd ask everyone to prove their guntoting worthiness before you went with them?

Then again, most places worth investigating actually call for people to carry weapons because of the place or the conditions.

Unfortunately, you just proved my point. Thrill seeking behavior. I wouldn't put my team at risk like that, but yeah, I know there are teams who do.

Why not just give the benefit of a doubt rather than attack people here?

Show me where I attacked a person? Wow, you need to relaaaaax man.

I could understand why that notion would be of some concern to anyone new to the field of paranormal research, but honestly, the number of reports of 'things' following people home is minimal. Spirits are like people (in fact some were...) and they behave in all the ways that we do - unpredictable, in effect. You will never only encounter 'good' spirits. My advice would be to take any experience you can get.

That about sums it up for sure. Especially about the experience. I think that exposed to enough investigations, your fear WILL greatly subside. In my case, I just kept asking myself what is there to be afraid of? (maybe gun totin' ghost "hunters"!! hahahaha) But I think eventually you'll get over that.

Is it really as simple as this though,i always thought you would have to get special people in to do a clearing and send them on there way and that,

Also i have heard of stories of spirits following some people home,and they say that it weakened them so much that they wouldnt even get out of bed and they tried saying 'leave me alone' several times and it wouldnt go,

I think the mental aspect of it all is frightening,me after i have been somewhere haunted cant sleep and get freaked out at certaing things and any noise,

Experience may help some people but it may also ruin there mental state for the rest of there lives,is this not true?

I agree that carrying a firearm on an investigation could be potentially harmful. First off, a firearm is in no way protection against ghosts. Second off, how often do we encounter axe wielding murderers in our daily lives. I would say, not very often. So....given that people's emotions run high and tend to be more jumpy on an investigation, could someone not be shot mistakenly if another person jumps the trigger. I think probabilities would be that a person would more likely be shot by accident than having to guard themselves against an axe murderer on an investigation. There is no need. If a person is running a properly done investigation, rather than going somewhere that looks really "creepy", there is no need for danger. One person made the US out to be some scary place on a whole, I am sure some places could be potentially dangerous, but then why would you put yourself in that situation. How often do people actually have to shoot someone going to their mailbox???? again...not very many. Plus, is retribution of this kind acceptable? especially within an investigation purpose. It brings in a lot of personal opinions, that I am sure we will hear because YES everyone has a right to their own opinion, BUT, your examples of when you would need a gun don't seem to be instances that will actually happen. We can't live our lives in fear, people, on the whole, are law abiding citizens, so what happens when someone gets shot by mistake, how far back will that bring investigating back???

If the original gun poster has a gun with a permit, so be it, there isn't anything anyone can do about that. I just worry that talking about it and making it seem like it is a necessity....how many kids without a permit will emulate that and carry a gun without a permit. Gun safety is a necessity , whatever country you are in. Talking about carrying a gun so frivolously makes it seem acceptable to people who aren't properly trained with firearms. The original poster did say that he does have a permit which is good, but how do we ensure that the people who are followers and don't think the law pertains to them, get the proper education regarding guns and laws and safety?????

I think what Hezzebelle said was not offensive at all, i think she is being responsible. You made assumptions on what she was saying, and we all know what assuming does. She is merely trying to understand where a gun would be acceptable on investigations.

Edited by eatincandyisgood

Is it really as simple as this though,i always thought you would have to get special people in to do a clearing and send them on there way and that,

Also i have heard of stories of spirits following some people home,and they say that it weakened them so much that they wouldnt even get out of bed and they tried saying 'leave me alone' several times and it wouldnt go,

I think the mental aspect of it all is frightening,me after i have been somewhere haunted cant sleep and get freaked out at certaing things and any noise,

Experience may help some people but it may also ruin there mental state for the rest of there lives,is this not true?

I understand your wariness, but in my humble opinion, if you think that way, yeah, I guess it could get to you. But that would be only if you really, really, REALLY tried to and were weak-minded (open to the power of suggestion), which I do not believe you are.

I will say that I have NEVER come across it and I do not at all have any second or third hand reports of this happening. I think that people being susceptible to this are either VERY impressionable, have good imaginations, or are just like I said, open to the power of suggestion.