Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost hunters protection?

stejens

:tu: Sunny98 and Hezzbelle,

I also have a CCW in Texas but I only carry when I feel I need to....NOT ALWAYS AND EVERYWHERE.

Theres a time and a place....ghost hunting is not one of those on my list.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LadyHay

• kiddglock

• Barek Halfhand

• stejens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi again stejens, thanks for sharing your experiences....interesting.

Incase you're interested, here are a few pics we've taken on some of our investigations...... B)

Those are some interesting pictures,

One thing with Orbs is how can you really tell if they are orbs and not dust or anything,

Is there anyway of actually identifying an Orb to be a real one?

Again, I can't believe I am repeating this, but being as stubborn as you, I will endeavor to make my point clear. There was nothing at all in this thread about guns in general. It was you who took it to a general USA "right to bear arms" wild eyed tangent. OK, we get that. You like your guns. YAY for you.

The part that I was beleaguering was that I personally do not believe that guns belong on a ghost investigation/hunt whatever you call it. Thats it.

Now I suppose you'll come back with a rant at me again. Oh well. Relaaaaax, man.

I'm not particularly stubborn. Again, you jump to the conclusion that you know something about me from a few lines on the internet. Please point out where I said anything about the right to keep and bear arms. Yes, I like guns. You got that part right. YAY for you.

You've "beleaguered" (sic) several parts. I think we all get that you don't think guns belong on whatever you are doing.

Thanks for your continued concern about my physical well-being.

All I've seen and maybe I don't read well....is that she said no one that she lead on a ghost hunt would be allowed to carry a gun....I don't see a problem at all with that.

Shes tried to calm you down but yet you keep going.

Don't you think maybe its time to drop it?

BTW...nice to meet you.

Hey I like that bar photo ..were these posted before ?

the one dark staircase is "creepy" and not from the white thingy at top almost seems TOO dark ....going to look at these some more...Cool! :tu:

Damn feel pulling like a brew of that tap!(bar).......B

btw wil add some links from SP threads gone by..(ones i win)

Edited by Barek Halfhand

Stejens,

Great first hunt!!! Sorry you had some problems....maybe find some new drivers?.... :lol:

Again... HUH? Makes no sense

YOU told ME to get you banned. I told you that I wasn't into complaining to admin. about other posters. I further stated that usually those whose first thought was of banning somebody were usually the worst tattlers to admin.

I live in a rather rural area. There are legitimate dangers from the aforementioned humans even out in the country. There are places where cell phone reception is non-existent and you are on your own as to protection. There are assorted dopers, meth-heads, squatters, poachers and who-knows-who else who may take umbrage at your intrusion into territories staked out as their own (not to be confused with legitimate ownership). Additionally, there are wild hogs, cougars, occasional small black bears, feral dogs, snakes, and other natural hazards that guns can be a solution to. If you journey to a city, the problems with humans are magnified and the problems with animals shrink but are not non-existent. There was an outbreak of rabies here this last summer.

I fail to see where sharing the brand and model of gun one has, is bragging. There are others on here who are interested in such things. While this isn't a gun site as such, sometimes such details add a bit of color to a tale of a haunting or just another post. If you don't like it, there's no need to get offensive, but rather just move on.

This is what I am saying and I have attempted to do so in a civil manner.

To the others who have posted that guns have no place on an investigation, you wouldn't allow them, whatever...then don't go on an investigation where they're present. That is your prerogative. It's that simple.

All I've seen and maybe I don't read well....is that she said no one that she lead on a ghost hunt would be allowed to carry a gun....I don't see a problem at all with that.

BTW...nice to meet you.

I don't have a problem with her opinion, but I did have a problem with her characterization of those that carry. She used words like "guntoting," "thrill seeker," "trigger happy," and "USA right to bear arms" all while indicating that anyone who is carrying on an investigation will start shooting at a moment's notice because they were startled. Though it's interesting that no one had the same reaction to someone carrying a pocket knife on an investigation when they can make someone just as dead. No one insinuated that someone carrying a knife will start stabbing at everything that startles them. And a knife is just as deadly, if not more so, than a firearm.

But hey, what do I know? I'm a thrill-seeking, fun-toting, trigger-happy, right to bear arms American. That doesn't even like handguns. :lol:

Also, I agree with boorite and Loonboy that too much spiritual protection can be counter productive. Going in with ritual cleansing items hanging off of every appendage and orifice might not make the ghosts want to meet you. It's like promising your kid that you're going to give him candy while holding a bottle of castor oil in front of you. I think it would be good idea to have some sort of spiritual "first aid" kit on hand though. Who knows, someone might get possessed and it would be handy to have some salt, sage, and a crucifix in a box under the driver's seat. :)

Stejens, about the orbs...

I've heard people say lots of different things about how to tell a dust particle from an orb (orbs have faces, orbs have pictures, orbs have rings of color, etc) but so far I haven't been able to tell them apart myself. I've seen pictures of dust and water particles that look just like an orb picture and and vice versa. I've seen video of orbs that move just like water and dust, so I really can't tell the difference and I'm kind of skeptical about orbs. Now, if I see an orb fly around my head and it's obviously not a bug, then I'll be more likely to go with it. I did like your pictures though. Especially the one with the smokey stuff in it. Have you asked other members of your team if they were smoking when it was taken?

:tu: Sunny98 and Hezzbelle,

I also have a CCW in Texas but I only carry when I feel I need to....NOT ALWAYS AND EVERYWHERE.

Wow, how can you tell when you're going to need it? Do violent felons make appointments with you ahead of time? :P :P :P

/just a lil gun humor, that's all

Edited by boorite

Some of your pics are really good! Hope to see more soon. Maybe there should be a designated smoking area (or something like that) on your next hunt just in case.

BTW...nice to meet you.

Guess I didn't read anything in Hezbelle's posts or my own that pertained to you. Maybe I should re-read them. BTW...you haven't met me. You've just read a few of my posts on a message bored. I've read a few hundred of yours in the six months you've been here myself...

Edited by kiddglock

When I go into a place that violence has happened in the past I carry.

I've been in my town 40 years...I know what I'm talking about.

I know the area very well.

Theres no such thing as gun humor. Sorry.....but its not funny.

A thousand posts in six months...

And your point is?????????

And your point is?????????

I guess you're quick enough to read and respond to the post before its edited. Maybe the edited version will 'splain it to you.

Though it's interesting that no one had the same reaction to someone carrying a pocket knife on an investigation when they can make someone just as dead. No one insinuated that someone carrying a knife will start stabbing at everything that startles them. And a knife is just as deadly, if not more so, than a firearm.

:no:

To tell you the truth, I Didn't say anything about you carrying a knife because i really thought this discussion was not going anywhere, there is no point in arguing because you are reading what you need out of it, rather than reading what is actually being said and repetitively repeating that you are being called " I'm a thrill-seeking, gun-toting, trigger-happy, right to bear arms American. " when no one called you that. You need to go back and read what was said, and if you don't like firearms, then why argue the point??? The argument has gotten to a point where there is no middle ground and there is no point to arguing it anymore. Nobody called you that, its not about you, and the fact that you are taking it so personally is the reason why i didn't say anything about your knife carrying. It just seems as though anything said at this point will be taken and turned into what you want to make out of it. Can you even see the point Hezzebelle was trying to make, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing??? It seems like it, and if that is the reason, there is no point in continuing to discuss this with you. If in fact you are willing to discuss the points of why people may disagree, then lets continue. I have definitely read all about why some people think it is a good idea, and i have to respect that, but when we have an opposite view, we are attacked. If you read back, it was others who made this an American/Canadian issue. The fact that people are bringing up New Orleans over and over, they may be having some issues, but people are generally good. Also, someone brought up meth heads and crack heads etcc...I seriously would like to see the numbers of meth and crack heads who actually go out to murder people for drugs, usually they are involved in petty crime and steal, I live in an area that is not the greatest place to live and is riddled with drugs and prostitution and crime, but i don't feel the need to bear arms, i would be worried that it would used against me rather than protect me. I do not see this as an American problem, we have our issues in Canada too. but there is no reason to live life in paranoia and live for what may happen in the future, rather than making the best of the present

When I go into a place that violence has happened in the past I carry.

I've been in my town 40 years...I know what I'm talking about.

I know the area very well.

Theres no such thing as gun humor. Sorry.....but its not funny.

You tell us that you know where and when violence is going to happen, and you don't think that's funny? I mean, I thought you were finally admitting that psi exists. Come on-- that's pretty funny.

/insert hand, remove stick

Just to summarize the sub-plot here before moving back to the main event...Booright, Stejens, Ivy, Barek and any others I might have missed, your posts are well-said and spot-on pertaining to the weapons discussion.

Ivy, I tend to have the same skepticism you expressed about orbs. They never fail to creep me out when I get them on one of my own pics though. We took some pics Christmas-before-last of the kids at a local museum we go to and there were orbs all over.

Changing your post is ok for you I guess.....

The post that I replied to you I said "BTW...nice to meet you"

I assume you ignored that or didn't care....regardless....I don't care how many of my posts you've read....I tried to welcome you. Do what you want to with that.

Boorite.......I never said I knew or know where violence is going to happen...I merely said where I carry....period.

And on topic.....its not on a ghost hunt.

:no:

To tell you the truth, I Didn't say anything about you carrying a knife because i really thought this discussion was not going anywhere, there is no point in arguing because you are reading what you need out of it, rather than reading what is actually being said and repetitively repeating that you are being called " I'm a thrill-seeking, gun-toting, trigger-happy, right to bear arms American. " when no one called you that. You need to go back and read what was said, and if you don't like firearms, then why argue the point??? The argument has gotten to a point where there is no middle ground and there is no point to arguing it anymore. Nobody called you that, its not about you, and the fact that you are taking it so personally is the reason why i didn't say anything about your knife carrying. It just seems as though anything said at this point will be taken and turned into what you want to make out of it. Can you even see the point Hezzebelle was trying to make, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing??? It seems like it, and if that is the reason, there is no point in continuing to discuss this with you. If in fact you are willing to discuss the points of why people may disagree, then lets continue. I have definitely read all about why some people think it is a good idea, and i have to respect that, but when we have an opposite view, we are attacked. If you read back, it was others who made this an American/Canadian issue. The fact that people are bringing up New Orleans over and over, they may be having some issues, but people are generally good. Also, someone brought up meth heads and crack heads etcc...I seriously would like to see the numbers of meth and crack heads who actually go out to murder people for drugs, usually they are involved in petty crime and steal, I live in an area that is not the greatest place to live and is riddled with drugs and prostitution and crime, but i don't feel the need to bear arms, i would be worried that it would used against me rather than protect me. I do not see this as an American problem, we have our issues in Canada too. but there is no reason to live life in paranoia and live for what may happen in the future, rather than making the best of the present

Um, did you read my post? At all? I'm guessing a no there.

I didn't take it personally and I didn't make it about me. I was using my examples as a point because I figured I'm more qualified to speak from my experiences than I am to speak from someone else's experiences. I kept using New Orleans as an example because my husband lived there for a long time. Those might not have been my experiences, but I would think that that would give me some sort of qualification to use that city as an example. I can always call him to the computer if you'd like. Between his experiences and seeing reports from that city, there's no way I will live there without protection.

And if you bothered to look back at other posts you'll see that the phrases, "guntoting," "thrill-seeker," "trigger happy," and "USA right to bear arms" were all used as insults against those that decide to carry. I never said anyone called me that specifically, but because those were used to describe people who chose to carry and I have been on that "side" then it applies to me as well. People love to throw those phrases around.

So what if I don't like handguns? Does that mean I should think exactly like other people that don't like them? No. Does that mean my opinion that there are necessary situations to carry, from my experience is invalidated just because I don't like them? That's just silly. I clearly see the point Hezzebelle was making and I've already said that. I even sympathize with it. However, there seems to be a lot of naivete running around that all is sunshine and lollipops if guns aren't around. I've seen enough people learn the hard way; I hope no one else has to.

And as I said a couple times before, I object to the characterization of people who choose to carry with the above words (look for yourself, they're all there) and I object to the promotion of the idea that everyone who carries is going to shoot at a moment's notice and is automatically trespassing in bad neighborhoods.

Thanks for not reading my post. :tu:

Changing your post is ok for you I guess.....

The post that I replied to you I said "BTW...nice to meet you"

I assume you ignored that or didn't care....regardless....I don't care how many of my posts you've read....I tried to welcome you. Do what you want to with that.

Dude, look at our join dates. Generally those who are here welcome those who have just become members. Thanks for a welcome to where I already was... :tu:

Also, you had just gotten done taking me to task for posting to somebody who was posting to me. That's a strange way to "welcome" somebody if that was your intent.

You forgot to tell me to "calm down" or "relax". lol

Boorite.......I never said I knew or know where violence is going to happen...I merely said where I carry....period.

And on topic.....its not on a ghost hunt.

Look, I was trying to kid with you. "Do what you want to with that."

And if there's no such thing as humor about a deadly serious topic, then there's no such thing as humor.

If you want me to be perfectly serious, then I would say that "only when you feel it is necessary" is a pretty darned vague and subjective policy for carrying a weapon, and I would find it problematic in practice for this reason, among others. But if it suits you, then you're welcome to it. Everyone is entitled to his own personal way in these matters. That's why I would tend to joke about it rather than get all peeved, as people seem to with this topic.

On topic, I would only be inclined to carry on a ghost hunt if I were inclined to carry in general. There is nothing about ghost hunting itself that says to me, better get a gun. If a property owner or someone in charge were not OK with my carrying a firearm, then I would leave it locked up or else stay home-- and that goes not just for ghost hunting but for any activity. In short, I don't think the fact that it is a ghost hunt has any bearing whatsoever on the question of whether or not I carry a firearm. To me, it's just irrelevant.

BTW, I don't carry now and haven't for over 12 years. In that time, I have chosen to make sure I live in places and choose activities where the risk of being fatally attacked are low. But if I were carrying, I would carry as a matter of course and habit unless there were a good reason not to.

"Dude"............I said "nice to meet you" ....has not a damn thing to do with when you joined or I did.

It was the first time I saw you on here.

Sorry that I did that now. If you know everything then I salute you.....

Look, I was trying to kid with you. "Do what you want to with that."

And if there's no such thing as humor about a deadly serious topic, then there's no such thing as humor.

If you want me to be perfectly serious, then I would say that "only when you feel it is necessary" is a pretty darned vague and subjective policy for carrying a weapon, and I would find it problematic in practice for this reason, among others. But if it suits you, then you're welcome to it. Everyone is entitled to his own personal way in these matters. That's why I would tend to joke about it rather than get all peeved, as people seem to with this topic.

On topic, I would only be inclined to carry on a ghost hunt if I were inclined to carry in general. There is nothing about ghost hunting itself that says to me, better get a gun. If a property owner or someone in charge were not OK with my carrying a firearm, then I would leave it locked up or else stay home-- and that goes not just for ghost hunting but for any activity. In short, I don't think the fact that it is a ghost hunt has any bearing whatsoever on the question of whether or not I carry a firearm. To me, it's just irrelevant.

BTW, I don't carry now and haven't for over 12 years. In that time, I have chosen to make sure I live in places and choose activities where the risk of being fatally attacked are low. But if I were carrying, I would carry as a matter of course and habit unless there were a good reason not to.

Bingo Boorite.....we're on the same thought level. Thanx