Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sarcastic Valentine's all the rage this Feb

girty1600

Card Makers Capitalize on 'Anti-V Day'

Feb 11, 6:13 PM (ET)

By CONNIE MABIN

CLEVELAND (AP) - For Lori Schwartz, a happy mom with a decade of wedded bliss under her belt, the greeting card featuring a bloodied, ripped out heart was perfect.

"It's Valentine's Day, so here's a card with a heart inside," it read. "I'd tell you whose it is, but the less you know, the better."

"My husband and I never get nice cards for each other. We're not into sentiments," Schwartz said while perusing an aisle of "anti-Valentine's Day" cards at an American Greetings Corp. (AM) store. "I expect to get something just as bad, but I may have one upped him this year."

Sensing a growing trend - and more potential customers - American Greetings has started a new line of expressions for lovers who'd rather be big goofs than big flirts. There are cards for singles not struck by Cupid's arrow and those with general disdain for Feb. 14, too.

From night club parties to bar-hopping bus tours for singles - and plenty of purposely loveless merchandise to go along with them - the anti-Valentine's Day crowd is proving to be an opportunity for some businesses.

"For everyone, Valentine's Day isn't just about hearts and roses," said Alana Campana, Valentine's Day program manager at Cleveland-based American Greetings. "It's really an unmet market."

And potentially huge.

Valentine's Day is the second-biggest holiday behind Christmas for card makers, with 190 million valentines - 85 percent bought by women - being sent each year, excluding classroom exchanges, Campana said.

happy Valentine's, schmuck!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mad Manfred

• jesspy

• MUM24/7

• SwampGator

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally....I send my ex-wife a dozen black roses every year and have for the past 9 years.

My present wife loves the idea.

For the last four years me and my partner have given each other un-sentimental cards for valentines day. We really aren't that lovey dovey and thats how we like it. Our idea of endearments is name calling. :blush:

Yep .. there are a lot of people who dislike V-Day and the whole 'love' thing.

Personally....I send my ex-wife a dozen black roses every year and have for the past 9 years.

Hah!

My brother's ex-girlfriend, from a few years back, was a complete b****. So for a couple years he sent her a cow's heart on Valentines Day with "Hugs and Kisses" written in blood on a small white card. He only sent a couple though, she called the cops, lol.

Yep .. there are a lot of people who dislike V-Day and the whole 'love' thing.

Like me im sick of this day already.

Hah!

My brother's ex-girlfriend, from a few years back, was a complete b****. So for a couple years he sent her a cow's heart on Valentines Day with "Hugs and Kisses" written in blood on a small white card. He only sent a couple though, she called the cops, lol.

as you would

Why do anything then?

Just pretend you're Jewish or something.

No, wait...

I didn't know roses came in black !! What colours do they come in anyway ? Any green thumbs around ?? ^_^

My kids are my valentines. Have been for years now. I love having an excuse for showering them with love and candy. I take them out to dinner and they feel very special. They are. :wub: But I hate going to the grocery store at 8:00 at night on Feb. 13th (because I ALWAYS!!! forget to get them ahead of time)(In fact that's where I just came from about an hour ago)to buy those stupid boxes of valentines and candy for everyone in their classes and then addressing them. It seems like a chore to me, like I don't have enough already, but I try not to steal their sunshine because they like doing it. At least I don't think bitter thoughts about their father anymore on v-day. Thank God I've moved past that...

I didn't know roses came in black !! What colours do they come in anyway ? Any green thumbs around ?? ^_^

I'm no expert but red, black, yellow and I think blue...and perhaps purple? Not sure if they're dyed or not though.

My kids are my valentines. Have been for years now. I love having an excuse for showering them with love and candy. I take them out to dinner and they feel very special. They are. :wub: But I hate going to the grocery store at 8:00 at night on Feb. 13th (because I ALWAYS!!! forget to get them ahead of time)(In fact that's where I just came from about an hour ago)to buy those stupid boxes of valentines and candy for everyone in their classes and then addressing them. It seems like a chore to me, like I don't have enough already, but I try not to steal their sunshine because they like doing it. At least I don't think bitter thoughts about their father anymore on v-day. Thank God I've moved past that...

My Mum does that too. It's cute lol.

apparently this is a rose colour wheel

linked-image

From what im told there is not a true black rose just a very very very dark burghandy

linked-image

apparently this is a rose colour wheel

linked-image

From what im told there is not a true black rose just a very very very dark burghandy

linked-image

Well there you go..Thanks for that..You learn something every day !!!! ^_^

85 percent bought by women

wow

wonder what genetics cause that?

that color wheel is cool :)

linked-image

That's a pretty rose. <3

Okay maybe I'm just weird, but I personally LOVE black roses... can't stand the generic red ones. If I got a dozen of those, I'd be pretty happy... ^_^

Um, my friend's husband gave her a heart (I think it was a pig's heart, though) for Valentine's Day... they're both kind of dark, so she thought it was great! :P