Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Native American Culture.

War Eagle

I am truly impressed by this thread, i have never really taken the time to properly look through the history surrounding this culture...and I'm truly kicking myself as to why i have taken so long.

I'm inspired by the teachings and their methods for dealing with life and on a personal note i much prefer their version of the commandments, it for me outlines everything i feel about being a spiritual person, being thankful for what we have in life and embracing it.

The persecution they faced was totally wrong, i know that's an understatement, but i'm just at a loss as i usually am when trying to comprehend why some people/governments/organisations act this way towards others because its not their way. We as individuals should have the right to express our views without criticism and judgement, but as history shows us that's not the case.

Many cultures and civilisations throughout time have been destroyed and nearly forgotten, ignorance plays a huge part and some people have this mindset that if something is not in accordance to their lives it must be got rid of.

Thank you REBEL this has been a very interesting read, these people should not be forgotten, to know how to live your life you need to look back and learn the simple pleasures of what life can give you if you honour it and be thankful every day.

Fishka, I'm truly honored you feel as you do regarding these peoples..they are so easily erased, and forgotten. The terrible truth is the native people are one of the most terribly suppressed people in our world--past and current. It's an absolute tragedy for mankind to lose such people by not appreciating them, learning from them. The wealth of knowledge they have they take with them to their graves- it's a terrible loss for mankind for this to happen.

My pa -pa was a "card carrying" native ( they actually have cards, :hmm: ) He's from N. Carolina...He wasn't too old, in his late 50's when he passed early last year..I will share a memory about him:

He looked at the world in a different light, not like everyone else-. He seen everything as spiritual and having its' own power-unique. Even a squirrel, or a groundhog.. he read into all of nature. No living thing was ignored, not with my pa pa. The most vicious time I ever saw him was when one of my uncles killed a squirrel and didn't plan on eating it, he just killed it for fun. There was a wrath that appeared across his face that scared me (all of us actually) to death. My papa took the squirrel out to the woods and said a little prayer and buried it. He "showing respect & honor" to the spirit of the squirrel.

linked-image

Thanks Rebel!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• War Eagle

• Radian

• Barek Halfhand

• Gone away

KGS, your source----> http://www.ouachitalk.com/Ethics.htm

Code of Ethics for Spiritual Guides:

[Preamble] People have long sought to enrich their lives and to awaken to their full natures through spiritual practices including prayer, meditation, mind-body disciplines, service, ritual, community liturgy, holy-day and seasonal observances, and rites of passage. "Primary religious practices" are those intended, or especially likely, to bring about exceptional states of consciousness such as the direct experience of the divine, of cosmic unity, or of boundless awareness.

In any community, there are some who feel called to assist others along spiritual paths, and who are known as ministers, rabbis, pastors, curanderas, shamans, priests, or other titles. We call such people 'guides': those experienced in some practice, familiar with the terrain, and who act to facilitate the spiritual practices of others. A guide need not claim exclusive or definitive knowledge of the terrain.

Spiritual practices, and especially primary religious practices, carry risks. Therefore, when an individual chooses to practice with the assistance of a guide, both take on special responsibilities. The Council on Spiritual Practices proposes the following Code of Ethics for those who serve as spiritual guides.

1. [intention] Spiritual guides are to practice and serve in ways that cultivate awareness, empathy, and wisdom.

2. [serving Society] Spiritual practices are to be designed and conducted in ways that respect the common good, with due regard for public safety, health, and order. Because the increased awareness gained from spiritual practices can catalyze desire for personal and social change, guides shall use special care to help direct the energies of those they serve, as well as their own, in responsible ways that reflect a loving regard for all life.

3. [serving Individuals] Spiritual guides shall respect and seek to preserve the autonomy and dignity of each person. Participation in any primary religious practice must be voluntary and based on prior disclosure and consent given individually by each participant while in an ordinary state of consciousness. Disclosure shall include, at a minimum, discussion of any elements of the practice that could reasonably be seen as presenting physical or psychological risks. In particular, participants must be warned that primary religious experience can be difficult and dramatically transformative.

Guides shall make reasonable preparations to protect each participant's health and safety during spiritual practices and in the periods of vulnerability that may follow. Limits on the behaviors of participants and facilitators are to be made clear and agreed upon in advance of any session. Appropriate customs of confidentiality are to be established and honored.

4. [Competence] Spiritual guides shall assist with only those practices for which they are qualified by personal experience and by training or education.

5. [integrity] Spiritual guides shall strive to be aware of how their own belief systems, values, needs, and limitations affect their work. During primary religious practices, participants may be especially open to suggestion, manipulation, and exploitation; therefore, guides pledge to protect participants and not to allow anyone to use that vulnerability in ways that harm participants or others.

6. [Quiet Presence] To help safeguard against the harmful consequences of personal and organizational ambition, spiritual communities are usually better allowed to grow through attraction rather than active promotion.

7. [Not for Profit] Spiritual practices are to be conducted in the spirit of service. Spiritual guides shall strive to accommodate participants without regard to their ability to pay or make donations.

8. [Tolerance] Spiritual guides shall practice openness and respect towards people whose beliefs are in apparent contradiction to their own.

9. [Peer Review] Each guide shall seek the counsel of other guides to help ensure the wholesomeness of his or her practices and shall offer counsel when there is need.

http://www.csp.org/development/code.html

Thankyou KGS, it was very thoughtful and oh so sweet of you to bring that to my attention, your a good man/woman. The only problem with that blind and or slightly ignorant statement of yours is that almost all my postings come from ''Official Native American'' websites, pasted and then posted on UM.

The few that are not are provided as links from those official sites.

As for not providing links, my apology i just assumed the entire galaxy knew of Google Search.

You have yourself a nice day.

Seven Philosophies For a Native American Man

First Philosophy - TO THE WOMEN

The cycle of life for the woman is the baby, girl, woman, and grandmother.

These are the four directions of life.

She has been given by natural laws the ability to reproduce life. The most sacred of all things in life.

Therefore, all men should treat her with dignity and respect.

Never was it our way to harm her mentally or physically. Indian men were never abusers. We always treated our women with respect and understanding.

So, from now on,

I will treat women in a sacred manner.

The Creator gave women the responsibility for bringing new life into the world. Life is sacred, so I will look upon women in a sacred manner.

In our traditional ways, the woman is the foundation of the family.

I will work with her to create a home atmosphere of respect, security and harmony.

I will refrain from any form of emotional or physical abuse.

If I have these feelings, I will talk to the Creator for guidance.

I will treat all women as if they were my own female relatives.

This I vow.

Second Philosophy - TO THE CHILDREN

As an eagle prepares its young to leave the nest with all the skills and knowledge it needs to participate in life, in the same manner so I will guide my children.

I will use the culture to prepare them for life.

The most important thing I can give to my children is my time.

I will spend time with them in order to learn them and to listen to them.

I will teach my children to pray, as well as the importance of respect.

We are the caretakers of the children for the Creator. They are his children, not ours.

I am proud of our Native language. I will learn it if I can and help my children to learn it.

In today’s world it is easy for the children to go astray, so I will work to provide positive alternatives for them.

I will teach them the culture.

I will encourage education. I will encourage sports. I will encourage them to talk with the Elders for guidance; but mostly, I will seek to be a role model myself.

I make this commitment to my children so they will have courage and find guidance through traditional ways.

Third Philosophy - TO THE FAMILY

The Creator gave to us the family, which is the place where all teachings are handed down from the grandparent, to the parent, and to the child. The children’s behavior is a mirror of the parent’s behavior. Knowing this, I realize the importance for each Indian man to be responsible to the family in order to fulfill the need to build a strong and balanced family. By doing this, I will break the cycle of hurt and ensure the positive mental health of our children, even the children yet to be born.

So, from now on,

I will dedicate my priorities to rebuilding my family.

I must never give up and leave my family only to the mother.

I am accountable to restore the strength of my family. To do this, I will nurture our family’s spiritual, cultural and social health. I will demonstrate trust, respect, honor and discipline; but mostly I will be consistent in whatever I do with them.

I will see that the grandparents and community Elders play a significant role in the education of my children.

I realize that the male and female together are fundamental to our family life. I will listen to my mate’s council for our family’s benefit, as well as for the benefit of my Indian Nation.

Fourth Philosophy - TO THE COMMUNITY

The Indian community provides many things for the family. The most important is the sense of belonging; that is, to belong to “the people”, and to have a place to go. Our Indian communities need to be restored to health so the future generation will be guaranteed a place to go for culture, language and Indian socializing. In he community, the honor of one is the honor of all and the pain of one is the pain of all. I will work to strengthen recovery in all parts of my community.

As an Indian man,

I will give back to my community by donating my time and talents when I am able.

I will cultivate friendships with other Indian men for mutual support and strength.

I will consider the effects of our decisions on behalf of the next seven generations; in this way, our children and grandchildren will inherit healthy communities.

I will care about those in my community so that the mind changes, alcohol and drugs, will vanish, and our communities will forever be free of violence.

If each of us can do all these things, then others, will follow; ours will be a proud community.

Fifth Philosophy - THE EARTH

Our Mother Earth is the source of all life, whether it be plants, the two-legged, four-legged, winged ones or human beings. The Mother Earth is the greatest teacher, if we listen, observe and respect her. When we live in harmony with the Mother Earth, she will recycle the things we consume and make them available to our children. As an Indian man, I must teach my children how to care for the Earth so it is there for the future generations.

So from now on,

I realize the Earth is our Mother. I will treat her with honor and respect.

I will honor the interconnectedness of all things and all forms of life.

I will realize the Earth does not belong to us, but that we belong to the Earth.

The natural law is the ultimate authority upon the lands and water. I will learn the knowledge and wisdom of the natural laws. I will pass this knowledge on to my children.

The Mother Earth is a living entity that maintains life. I will speak out in a good way whenever I see someone abusing the Earth. Just as I would protect my own mother, so I will protect the Earth. I will ensure that the land, water, and air will be intact for my children and for my children’s children-the unborn.

Sixth Philosophy - TO THE CREATOR

As an Indian man, I realize we make no gains without the Great Spirit being in our lives. Neither I, nor anything I attempt to do, will work without our Creator. Being Indian and being spiritual has the same meaning. Spirituality is our gift from the Great One. This say, I vow to walk the Red Road.

As an Indian man,

I will return to the traditional and spiritual values which have guided my ancestors for the past generations.

I will look with new eyes on the powers of our ceremonies and religious ways, for they are important to the very survival of our people.

We have survived and are going to grow and flourish spiritually. We will fulfill our teachings and the purpose that the Creator has given us with dignity.

Each day, I will pray and ask guidance. I will commit to walk the Red Road, or whatever the spiritual way is called in my own culture.

If I am a Christian, I will be a good one. If I tradition, I will walk this road with dedication.

If each of us can do these things then others will follow. From this day forward, I will reserve time and energy for spirituality, seeking to know the Creator’s will.

Seventh Philosophy - TO MYSELF

I will think about what kind of person I want to be when I am an Elder. I will start developing myself now to be this person.

I will walk with the Great Spirit and the grandfathers at my side. I will develop myself to remain positive. I will develop a good mind.

I will examine myself daily to see what I did good and what I need to improve. I will examine my strengths and weaknesses; then I will ask the Creator to guide me. I will develop a good mind.

Each day, I will listen for the Creator’s voice in the wind. I will watch nature and ask to be shown a lesson which will occur on my path.

I will seek our the guiding principles which guided my ancestors. I will walk in dignity, honor and humility, conducting myself as a warrior.

I will seek the guidance of the Elders so that I may maintain the knowledge of culture, ceremonies and songs, and so that I may pass these on to future generations.

I choose to do all these things myself, because no one else can do them for me.

I know I CANNOT GIVE AWAY WHAT I DON’T HAVE, so I will need to learn to walk the talk.

*Pearls of wisdom.com

linked-image

Edited by REBEL

Fantabulous thread! Rebel...

Didn't get the chance to read it all but I'm sure there are some beautiful

words of wisdom and some great stories. I love your pictures you posted with

some of the stories. Awesome, Awesome thread... I'll have to find a good story

for you. Laters.

beautiful rebel !!! thank-you so much !!! ♥

The First Strawberries

Retold by Barbara Shining Woman Warren

In the beginning of the world, ga lv la di e hi created First Man and First Woman. Together they built a lodge at the edge of a dense forest. They were very happy together; but like all humans do at times, they began to argue.

Finally First Woman became so angry she said she was leaving and never coming back. At that moment First Man really didn't care. First Woman started walking eastward down the path through the forest. She never looked back.

As the day grew later, First Man began to worry. At last he started down the same path in search of his wife. The Sun looked down on First Man and took pity on him. The Sun asked First Man if he was still angry with First Woman. First Man said he was not angry any more. The Sun asked if he would like to have First Woman back. Fist Man readily agreed he did.

The Sun found First Woman still walking down the path toward the East. So to entice her to stop, the Sun caused to grow beneath her feet lovely blueberries. The blueberries were large and ripe. First Woman paid no attention but kept walking down the path toward the East.

Further down the path the Sun caused to grow some luscious blackberries. The berries were very black and plump. First Woman looked neither left nor right but kept walking down the path toward the East.

At last the Sun caused to grow a plant that had never grown on the earth before. The plant covered the ground in front of First Woman. Suddenly she became aware of a fragrance she had never known. Stopping she looked down at her feet. Growing in the path was a plant with shiny green leaves, lovely white flowers with the largest most luscious red berries she had ever seen. First Woman stopped to pick one. Hmmm…she had never tasted anything quite like it! It was so sweet.

As First Woman ate the berry, the anger she felt began to fade away. She thought again of her husband and how they had parted in anger. She missed him and wanted to return home.

First Woman began to gather some of the berries. When she had all she could carry, she turned toward the West and started back down the path. Soon she met First Man. Together they shared the berries, and then hand in hand, they walked back to their lodge.

The Cherokee word for strawberry is ani. The rich bottomlands of the old Cherokee country were noted for their abundance of strawberries and other wild fruits. Even today, strawberries are often kept in Cherokee homes. They remind us not to argue and are a symbol of good luck.

http://www.powersource.com/cocinc/articles/strwbry.htm

Origin of the Thunderbird

Passamaquoddy

This is a legend of long, long ago times. Two Indians desired to find the origin of thunder. They travelled north and came to a high mountain. These mountains performed magically. They drew apart, back and forth, then closed together very quickly.

One Indian said, "I will leap through the cleft before it closes. If I am caught, you continue to find the origin of thunder." The first one succeeded in going through the cleft before it closed, but the second one was caught and squashed.

On the other side, the first Indian saw a large plain with a group of wigwams, and a number of Indians playing a ball game. After a little while, these players said to each other, "It is time to go." They disappeared into their wigwams to put on wings, and came out with their bows and arrows and flew away over the mountains to the south. This was how the Passamaquoddy Indian discovered the homes of the thunderbirds.

The remaining old men of that tribe asked the Passamaquoddy Indian, "What do you want? Who are you?" He replied with the story of his mission. The old men deliberated how they could help him.

They decided to put the lone Indian into a large mortar, and they pounded him until all of his bones were broken. They moulded him into a new body with wings like thunderbird, and gave him a bow and some arrows and sent him away in flight. They warned him not to fly close to trees, as he would fly so fast he could not stop in time to avoid them, and he would be killed.

The lone Indian could not reach his home because the huge enemy bird, Wochowsen, at that time made such a damaging wind. Thunderbird is an Indian and he or his lightning would never harm another Indian. But Wochowsen, great bird from the south, tried hard to rival Thunderbird. So Passamaquoddies feared Wochowsen, whose wings Glooscap once had broken, because he used too much power.

A result was that for a long time air became stagnant, the sea was full of slime, and all of the fish died. But Glooscap saw what was happening to his people and repaired the wings of Wochowsen to the extent of controlling and alternating strong winds with calm.

www.angelfire.com/ca/Indian/stories.html

linked-image - Chief Joseph

linked-image

Hey! It is me again. I don't want to romanticize the native indians. Warriors would kill one another simply because they were from different enemy tribes and that way they would collect first "coup". The mentality of painting oneself with war paint to look fierce while killing other human lives isn;t something the indian culture can be proud of. However in general without all the starry eyed "indians were peaceful people of the land who only knew love" they did recognize that the land was a responsibility which deserved absolute respect.

The indians like the indiginous people of australia knew that without a good clean environment one could not ultimately have a happy and sufficient spiritual life style. I guess (please bare with me because I lack the articulation grace necessary to express what I mean) what I am saying is that, if america today had never been colonized by europeans or spaniards and if Australia never suffered such a similar fate. Both continents would be the same paradisal places with all their natural wonder as the were hundreds or thousands of years ago.

What we consider the wildernest the tribal people of the americas and of australia and africa etc didnt really consider "wild" in the sense that the western man does who has technology and consumerism to supply him with al his needs. Standing Bear from the Oglala Sioux elucidates the point superby: We did not think the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams with tangled growth, as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness" and only to him was the land "infested" with "wild" animals and "savage" people. To us it was tame. Earth was bountiful and we were surrounded with blessings of the Great Mystery. Not until the hairy man from the east came and with brutal frenzy heaped injustices upon us and the families we loved was it "wild" for us. When the very animals of the forest began fleeing fromk his approach, then it was that for us the "Wild West" began.

:cry: I kinda wish I was living in those times. But it is because I have seen the ugliness of the technological western world that i want the old tribal ways to revive. I feel really insignificant and unworthy to say alot here.

The "white man" has done so much harmful actions in the name of organized religon and and "advance civilization" that it it is enough sometimes for me to feel physically sick. I am such a hypocrite sitting here at my computer wishing for the tribal life. But I need to express myself, I need to say something so that I feel as if I am doing nothing. Jesus, Buddha, Sitting Bull ot crazy horse whatever the great spiritual archetype may be, I want to surrender myself and learn the secrets of the universe so I can be happy anf have peace of mind. This is all. I just want happiness. And I feel so personally guilty sometimes because of what "white man" has done to the wonders of nature and the cultures that have learnt to live with nature. "White man" it seems to me just lives on top of the land, while natives in their territory live with the land.

I really don't know how to make the world a better place other than to simply repsect each other as we would loike to be respected ourselves. It is the simple things that reach out to people. I am christian but I don't want to attach myself to some of the ugly hideous doctrines that are created by it.

I just want to find the mosty simple and loving way to "Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul and with all thy mind and my neighbour as myself." I want to exist in a utopian society where all the virtues of frredom and truth are upheld without the violence of whose version is "right". I am so at a lost to myself. I know that I know little and have faith in a higher power that guides the universe which is God, Tao, Great Spirit or whatever you wish to call it.

Thank you God for being God and allowing me to realize what I have. This is a gift beyond price.

linked-image

The Spiritual meaning to what some of the animals meant to the NA Indians.

The Owl

Wisdom, truth, patience . The Mescalero believe that Owl carries the souls of the recently deceased, a death messenger. Owl is the totem of clairvoyants and mystics.

The Wolf

Loyalty, success, perseverance, stability and thought. Wolves are also regarded as pathfinders and teachers. Wolf is represented by the constellation Sirius, the Dog. In the Zuni tradition the Wolf symbolizes the direction East.

The Snake

Shrewdness, transformation. Life, death and rebirth are represented by the shedding of skin. Among the Pueblo Indians snakes and lightning are equated with rain and fertility.

The Raven

Trickster, teacher, hoarder. To Pacific Northwest Coast tribes, Raven represented the 'holy man's' powers and a belief in transformation between human and animal spirits. Raven symbolizes change in conciousness and is the mark of a shape shifter.

Spider ( ? )

Creative, pattern of life. Spider connects the past with the future, creating possibilities. Spider-woman is a major Pueblo goddess.

Spider is another medicine that varies greatly from tribe to tribe. One tribe has associated the white man with spider medicine. Their prophecy says that when the white man (Spider) has connected all of his power lines and forms a great web over the earth, then his world will burn and he will be destroyed.

Yet, another tribe speaks of the Spider Woman who weaves existence together like great strands of a web. Learning these stories of the Spider Woman can help one understand " that we are all connected". By dishonoring one, we dishonor ourselves.

The Eagle ( Bravery, Courage,and Spirit )

Eagles have long been associated with the highest pursuits. In 1969 a voice rang out to the world, "The eagle has landed." There was no better symbology for a landing on the moon than the "eagle". From the time that the Persians and Romans carried eagles into battle, these majestic birds have always symbolized courage, strength and bravery. As arial hunters, eagles are the undisputed masters of the skies. Many tribes have identified the eagle as the one closest to the Creator.

The wings of the eagle are an engineering marvel with feathers that can act as little winglets to reduce turbulance, increase lift, and prevent stalling at low speeds. With a grasp much stronger than a human hand, the eagles talons have legendary power. The Eagle uses its powerful back talon to kill small prey instantaneously while its front three grasp its prey securely.

Eagle feathers, revered by Native American Indains Healers as having powerful medicine, are regulated by a "feather bank" insuring that eagles are not killed for their powerful medicine. Eagle Medicine is the power of the Great Spirit. It is the spirit of tenacity. People with Eagle Medicine often have "high ideals", and need space to spread their wings. It is no accident that men in many tribes adorned themselves with eagle feathers given for acts of courage and bravery, and that a healer gingerly wraps his eagle feather in his medicine bundle after a ceremony.

Bear ( Dreams and Gentle Strength )

The brown bear, common to areas of the Southwestern State in the US can grow from 4 to 5 feet and weigh as much as 450 lbs. Although they have great strength, their gentelness makes the bear's behavior almost "human like". They are relatively good natured, but, don't get foolish and plan on making them mad. They have a very serious side!!

Bears hibernate in the winter, which explains their association with "dreaming the Great Spirit" or retrospection. The symbolism of the bears cave being like returning to the womb of Mother Earth, also suggests a strong feminine aspect, one of nurturing and protection. Bear cubs, born in the early spring can spend up to as many as 7 years with the mother bear before reaching full maturity.

People with "Brown Bear Medicine" are considered by many as self sufficient, and would rather stand on their own 2 feet than rely on others. They are often considered "dreamers". Many have developed the skill of visualizing new things, but as a result can get caught up in the "dreaming" making little progress in "waking" reality.

Coyote ( ? )

Different tribes assign different meanings to each animal, but the association of the Trickster to that of the coyote is by far the most predominant popularized today. Studying the traits, habitats, and surroundings of any animal can give one an insight into its spiritual significance. Coyote is said to trick the learner into the lesson, almost giving one the notion that things are not as they seem, until the lesson is done and the wisdom gained.

Coyote medicine is powerful. In moving from one disaster to the next, Coyote tricks himself into moving through spiritual quests in such a way that lessons learned from his antics cannot be ignored. It has been said that humor is a great medicine, maybe that is why it is associated with Coyote. If we can learn to laugh at ourselves, then we have indeed been blessed with understanding Coyote medicine.

Cougar (Power, Swiftness and Balance)

By watching the swift movements of the cougar, one becomes keenly aware that no movement is wasted, no footing unplanned, in their quest for the item they desire. The cougar never wastes anything, but the grace of this hunter provides the young with nourishment and security. Cougars mark their home range, which differs from a true territory because the home ranges often overlap. The juveniles may establish a home range of from six to ten miles away. Within that area, the cat maintains a small resting range for its exclusive use while sharing the remaining hunting area with its neighbor. The cougar scrapes together a pile of leaves along well-traveled trails and marks them with urine. Any wandering lion respects the "No Tresspassing" sign and turns away to avoid conflict. Someone with "Mountain lion or Cougar Medicine" is likely to be very sure of his/her purpose or goals. They often prefer solitude, and have little regret in taking the easiest prey.

www.firstpeople.us

linked-image

linked-image

Edited by REBEL

Hey! It is me again. I don't want to romanticize the native indians. Warriors would kill one another simply because they were from different enemy tribes and that way they would collect first "coup". The mentality of painting oneself with war paint to look fierce while killing other human lives isn;t something the indian culture can be proud of. However in general without all the starry eyed "indians were peaceful people of the land who only knew love" they did recognize that the land was a responsibility which deserved absolute respect.

The indians like the indiginous people of australia knew that without a good clean environment one could not ultimately have a happy and sufficient spiritual life style. I guess (please bare with me because I lack the articulation grace necessary to express what I mean) what I am saying is that, if america today had never been colonized by europeans or spaniards and if Australia never suffered such a similar fate. Both continents would be the same paradisal places with all their natural wonder as the were hundreds or thousands of years ago.

What we consider the wildernest the tribal people of the americas and of australia and africa etc didnt really consider "wild" in the sense that the western man does who has technology and consumerism to supply him with al his needs. Standing Bear from the Oglala Sioux elucidates the point superby: We did not think the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams with tangled growth, as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness" and only to him was the land "infested" with "wild" animals and "savage" people. To us it was tame. Earth was bountiful and we were surrounded with blessings of the Great Mystery. Not until the hairy man from the east came and with brutal frenzy heaped injustices upon us and the families we loved was it "wild" for us. When the very animals of the forest began fleeing fromk his approach, then it was that for us the "Wild West" began.

:cry: I kinda wish I was living in those times. But it is because I have seen the ugliness of the technological western world that i want the old tribal ways to revive. I feel really insignificant and unworthy to say alot here.

The "white man" has done so much harmful actions in the name of organized religon and and "advance civilization" that it it is enough sometimes for me to feel physically sick. I am such a hypocrite sitting here at my computer wishing for the tribal life. But I need to express myself, I need to say something so that I feel as if I am doing nothing. Jesus, Buddha, Sitting Bull ot crazy horse whatever the great spiritual archetype may be, I want to surrender myself and learn the secrets of the universe so I can be happy anf have peace of mind. This is all. I just want happiness. And I feel so personally guilty sometimes because of what "white man" has done to the wonders of nature and the cultures that have learnt to live with nature. "White man" it seems to me just lives on top of the land, while natives in their territory live with the land.

I really don't know how to make the world a better place other than to simply repsect each other as we would loike to be respected ourselves. It is the simple things that reach out to people. I am christian but I don't want to attach myself to some of the ugly hideous doctrines that are created by it.

I just want to find the mosty simple and loving way to "Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul and with all thy mind and my neighbour as myself." I want to exist in a utopian society where all the virtues of frredom and truth are upheld without the violence of whose version is "right". I am so at a lost to myself. I know that I know little and have faith in a higher power that guides the universe which is God, Tao, Great Spirit or whatever you wish to call it.

Thank you God for being God and allowing me to realize what I have. This is a gift beyond price.

Im not sure I beleave these storys about natives would never hurt the earth like white men I honestly beleave its just a load of Bull .

I work with natives . They got hunting rights I know one shoots maybe 20 moose a year sells them(its comman practice) . White man restricted himself not to touch them .

When given fishing rights they fought for trawlers . When every body knows longliners are better for the ocean but just alot more work . They never fight for the enviroment not from what I see .

They fight to fish lobster year around all summer wide open . The white man fights to restrict it to only fish them in winters when they are hard to catch .

Im not sure the white man was any more evil I think he was just more aggressive .And I am not ashamed of being a white man .I know every thing done by my Ancesters was not perfect . But truth be known alot was not perfect . If there was no white men around the rest would still be killing each other and fighting from what I see out my eyes.

And who had better laws then England ? Every place they went prospered and became great . If they stayed away the place stayed in poverty(in alot of cases) from what I seen . When I sailed through the caribean Islands the english settled all seemed wealthy . Go across the water a little and find one in complete poverty and no english . Thats the way I see it out of my eyes.

I just don't see where leaveing Christianity and in God we trust out ever helped a place .Usally they end up in poverty .

I just don't buy them stories they tell about natives wanting to save mother earth any more . I use too when I was a Kid . BUT nOw I Beleave i've seen reality .

Im not sure I beleave these storys about natives would never hurt the earth like white men I honestly beleave its just a load of Bull .

Back in the early days,NA's did not hurt the land.Some in modern day though have become too much like the White Man.

I work with natives . They got hunting rights I know one shoots maybe 20 moose a year sells them(its comman practice) . White man restricted himself not to touch them .
For years,NA's were not allowed to hunt and had to live on the reservations.Once they got the right to hunt again,they used that right to help make money for the reservations (and sometimes themselves and their families) by doing extra hunting and selling the meat and hides from those extra kills.

When given fishing rights they fought for trawlers . When every body knows longliners are better for the ocean but just alot more work . They never fight for the enviroment not from what I see .

They fight to fish lobster year around all summer wide open . The white man fights to restrict it to only fish them in winters when they are hard to catch ..

As said before...many have become too modernized.

I just don't see where leaveing Christianity and in God we trust out ever helped a place .Usally they end up in poverty .
The NA's were doing quite well before the Jesuits and other Christians came over and started converting them.Sure,there was tribal warfare...but that also helped keep the populations at a level that Nature could easily provide for.

I just don't buy them stories they tell about natives wanting to save mother earth any more . I use too when I was a Kid . BUT nOw I Beleave i've seen reality .

Many have lost their way...having given up at some point.There are still some who remember the old ways (and who teach it to whoever wishes to learn),but there are too many that have figured that the old philosophy of "If you can't beat'em...join'em..." is the only way to do thinngs now.

It's quite apparent your thick arrogance keeps you from seeing any truth!

Of course they have hunting rights! You "work with natives" and how does this justify mastering human behavior in particular ethnic groups?? & My "white man" of an ex husband (and pals) kill deer just for the "trophees," antlers-- throw away the meat!! ... This says a lot about the "white man"... go figure. LOL!!

Wonder if any "white men" out there go "shining" at night.....????? You don't think!

When given fishing rights they fought for trawlers . When every body knows longliners are better for the ocean but just alot more work . Not for the enviroment not from what I see .

You are assuming these people are not concerned for the environment based on this lame excuse here- The native american history is saturated rampant with deep concerns about the wellfare of earth, the environment, spirit, land, nature... you come up with this? longliners (ugh)!

Im not sure the white man was any more evil I think he was just more aggressive .And I am not ashamed of being a white man .I know every thing done by my Ancesters was not perfect . But truth be known alot was not perfect . If there was no white men around the rest would still be killing each other and fighting from what I see out my eyes.

More aggressive, my ass!

White govt. delibrately placing contaminated smallpx infected blankets in arms of the natives during the Trail of tears to reduce the native's numbers-- Aggressive? More like dirty filthy evil land hungry murdering titans.

My daddy is white, my mother was Cherokee, im not ashamed of neither. :tu:

White men came in to take over the land, it's rather simple!

The only thing the natives needed to be considered a "civilization" was a written lanuage. If their language had been written down, they would have been considered civilized nation. They were not tribal gorillas. If there were battles b/t tribes it was for their own political issues & they always found justifyable reason (whatever it was) to go to battle, they didn't do this for fun. They were actually very organized, and complete with structure, their own form of politics (leaders)...

"white men" battled a lot too in their history, if i'm not mistaken!!! :angry2: ....(English, France, Italy, Germany, list is ENDLESS etc,. ) Where or HOW is it you "see" the killing would be endless if not for "white men." That is PREPOSTEROUS. IGNORANT. <_<

You could actually learn a thing or two.. take the blinders off!!

Edited by Sunny98

Unfunking believable!...the twisted nerve of some people.

Hmm...more aggressive...gee...let me see...

They were a people living in harmony with the earth for thousands of years without any problems in their own vast paradise bothering no one yet accepting anyone...and then suddenly have the land in which ''they belonged to'' pulled out from under their feet, ha i don't know about any one else but maaan i'd be just a little enraged too.

Nothing in education is so astonishing as to the amount of ignorance it accumulates in the form of inert facts - Henry B. Adams

Edited by REBEL

Rebel your doing a great job..keep it up. Thanks for mentioning the Mescalaros..as they get the shaft alot . (and my best bud is mescalaro..partial) I hoping to get some info from him, and get it to you for you to use. This is now my fav thread!!!woo hoo

I am having a hard time trying to work out what "white man" has done so fantastically that you cant see the faults right there, I'm with sunny on this open your eyes, do a lil research into how we have treated civilisations throughout history.

I am English and to be frank I'm ashamed of it at times, our past is littered with failure and disgrace, our treatment of others have left a lot to be desired.

These people who you say have no respect for the earth...wth, we have no respect for the earth, just look at the global warming taken place that is evidence enough that we have not taken care of the one this that brings us life, if everyone lived their life with the simple pleasures that his wonderful civilisation had things would have been different, respect for nature for a start and the appreciation for all things living.

Reality for me is turning the news on every day to see how white man is blowing this world up, doing what they do best interfering, causing threat, playing the old card of who is the most powerful...sad, very sad, we dont need a asteroid to hit the earth or any other natural disaster...the ignorance of a powerful few will do it for us.

I know what kind of life i would prefer..a peaceful one in harmony with the earth, i think the problem is people have become so accustomed to the war and death they dont see an end to it, they have no realisation that things could be different if more tolerance was applied, but its not as simple as that because people dont want to know or learn, unfortunately this world is full of power hungry, selfish people and even when you only have a few of them they still contaminate the minds of others.

Edited by fishka

It's quite apparent your thick arrogance keeps you from seeing any truth!

Of course they have hunting rights! You "work with natives" and how does this justify mastering human behavior in particular ethnic groups?? & My "white man" of an ex husband (and pals) kill deer just for the "trophees," antlers-- throw away the meat!! ... This says a lot about the "white man"... go figure. LOL!!

Wonder if any "white men" out there go "shining" at night.....????? You don't think!

You are assuming these people are not concerned for the environment based on this lame excuse here- The native american history is saturated rampant with deep concerns about the wellfare of earth, the environment, spirit, land, nature... you come up with this? longliners (ugh)!

More aggressive, my ass!

White govt. delibrately placing contaminated smallpx infected blankets in arms of the natives during the Trail of tears to reduce the native's numbers-- Aggressive? More like dirty filthy evil land hungry murdering titans.

My daddy is white, my mother was Cherokee, im not ashamed of neither. :tu:

White men came in to take over the land, it's rather simple!

The only thing the natives needed to be considered a "civilization" was a written lanuage. If their language had been written down, they would have been considered civilized nation. They were not tribal gorillas. If there were battles b/t tribes it was for their own political issues & they always found justifyable reason (whatever it was) to go to battle, they didn't do this for fun. They were actually very organized, and complete with structure, their own form of politics (leaders)...

"white men" battled a lot too in their history, if i'm not mistaken!!! :angry2: ....(English, France, Italy, Germany, list is ENDLESS etc,. ) Where or HOW is it you "see" the killing would be endless if not for "white men." That is PREPOSTEROUS. IGNORANT. <_<

You could actually learn a thing or two.. take the blinders off!!

Sunny.. you also have blinders on. Unfortunatly. While some tribes have concern for the enviroment and mother earth.... they as the first enviromentalists is a very romanced idea.

If you talk to the tribes here in the PNW, especialy the Makahs, you will learn quickly that if they had the tools that the europeans had (guns, saws, and the like) they would have stripped the land and hunted every animal out. They will tell you this if you ask. There are many other tribes here that are the same way. The only reason they are still about.. and that this land was lush and green as it was when the settlers came out here.. was because they didn't have the tools. The whole living in harmony thing was equally romanced... the tribes here would be constently fighting in very bloody battles.

Even now, the Makah only look like they're not harming the enviroment was because the government had to instate someone to police the reservation. The Makah women would strip the back from hundreds of cedar trees each year to make thousands of baskets to sell. It was killing the trees. Now they can't do that... and simply put.. the enviromental law enforcer had to arrest his own mother to prove that it was to be taken seriously.

But like I said.. some tribes have a concern for nature and the enviroment... but not all.

(and this is not a pot shot.. but.. why does it seem that almost everyone who says they are some degree of native american.. that degree is cherokee? Sunny's about the 9th person in a matter of two weeks to say that they're part cherokee.. I'm just finding it.. slightly odd I guess. I'm not... not believeing anyone who says that... it's just kinda .. odd. There's a woman in my class that .. reminds.. us every day that she's a quarter cherokee.. *eye twitch* Guess that's why it seems like it now.. I dunno..)

A really beautiful post Brave, one that im sure will be appreciated by many.

Your words are a true testament to what a spiritual being you are, i appreciate your words when you are saying you would prefer to live in those times, i share the same view. Our world is becoming so advanced in technology that we are over looking the beauty that surrounds us, and instead of embracing it we destroy it.

I have said before and i will say again look back in order to create a better future.

OK silver, but what difference does it make? and why is it odd?

If it was me who had that heritage i would shout it from the roof tops, be proud of who you are and where you came from i say.

We all have a habit of forgetting our origins so i personally think its great people appreciating their past, we all have one recognize it.

OK silver, but what difference does it make? and why is it odd?

If it was me who had that heritage i would shout it from the roof tops, be proud of who you are and where you came from i say.

We all have a habit of forgetting our origins so i personally think its great people appreciating their past, we all have one recognize it.

It's odd because I seem to be comming across more cherokee then any other tribe. It's nothing bad... it's just one of those curious things.

If you took my curious moment as in insult.. sorry... but there was none there.

And I dunno how else to put it aside the fact that in the past two weeks or so.. anyone I've come across with native american blood in them (Newly met people ;P) Have been a verying degree of cherokee. So it just made me stop for a moment and think it curious.

No offence taken Silver.

I was merely curious myself as to why you thought it strange, probably because like you said in a short time you have come across more people with the same origin, it tends to stand out more.

No offence taken Silver.

I was merely curious myself as to why you thought it strange, probably because like you said in a short time you have come across more people with the same origin, it tends to stand out more.

Exactly. And it didn't really click till I saw Sunny post that she was cherokee as well. Something in my braid just went "Hay... wait a second!" And I mused about it.

I mean myself.. my mother is part Iraquois. (though we don't know exactly which tribe.. just that it was one of the Iraquois ones) Though I'm adopted. So it's only through maternal adoption would I ever be considered part of her tribal harratige... should she had investigated which one and done all the paper work to try and establish herself within it. However, she never felt the need to.. so.. heh it's nust nothing to worry about now.

linked-image

The music on this particular site was very soothing and relaxing to listen to. :tu:

Native American Wisdom Quotes

=====================

Inspirational sayings, quotes, and words of wisdom of the Native American beliefs and spirituality.

Cherokee Prayer Blessing

May the Warm Winds of Heaven

Blow softly upon your house.

May the Great Spirit

Bless all who enter there.

May your Mocassins

Make happy tracks

in many snows,

and may the Rainbow

Always touch your shoulder.

Native American Prayer

Oh, Great Spirit

Whose voice I hear in the winds,

And whose breath gives life to all the world,

hear me, I am small and weak,

I need your strength and wisdom.

Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold

the red and purple sunset.

Make my hands respect the things you have

made and my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make me wise so that I may understand the things

you have taught my people.

Let me learn the lessons you have

hidden in every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother,

but to fight my greatest enemy - myself.

Make me always ready to come to you

with clean hands and straight eyes.

So when life fades, as the fading sunset,

my Spirit may come to you without shame.

(translated by Lakota Sioux Chief Yellow Lark in 1887)

published in Native American Prayers - by the Episcopal Church.

Honor the sacred.

Honor the Earth, our Mother.

Honor the Elders.

Honor all with whom we share the Earth:-

Four-leggeds, two-leggeds, winged ones,

Swimmers, crawlers, plant and rock people.

Walk in balance and beauty.

Native American Elder

Lakota Instructions for Living

Friend do it this way - that is,

whatever you do in life,

do the very best you can

with both your heart and mind.

And if you do it that way,

the Power Of The Universe

will come to your assistance,

if your heart and mind are in Unity.

When one sits in the Hoop Of The People,

one must be responsible because

All of Creation is related.

And the hurt of one is the hurt of all.

And the honor of one is the honor of all.

And whatever we do effects everything in the universe.

If you do it that way - that is,

if you truly join your heart and mind

as One - whatever you ask for,

that's the Way It's Going To Be.

passed down from White Buffalo Calf Woman

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;

when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.

So long as mists envelop you, be still;

be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists

-- as it surely will.

Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle (1800's to 1914)

Treat the earth well.

It was not given to you by your parents,

it was loaned to you by your children.

We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,

we borrow it from our Children.

Ancient Indian Proverb

You have noticed that everything an Indian does in a circle,

and that is because the Power of the World always works in circles,

and everything and everything tries to be round.

In the old days all our power came to us from the sacred hoop

of the nation and so long as the hoop was unbroken the people

flourished. The flowering tree was the living center of the hoop,

and the circle of the four quarters nourished it. The east gave peace

and light, the south gave warmth, the west gave rain and the north

with its cold and mighty wind gave strength and endurance. This

knowledge came to us from the outer world with our religion.

Everything the power of the world does is done in a circle.

The sky is round and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball

and so are all the stars. The wind, in its greatest power, whirls.

Birds make their nests in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours.

The sun comes forth and goes down again in a circle. The moon

does the same and both are round. Even the seasons form a great

circle in their changing and always come back again to where they were.

The life of a man is a circle from childhood to childhood, and so it is

in everything where power moves. Our teepees were round like the

nests of birds, and these were always set in a circle, the nation's hoop,

a nest of many nests, where the Great Spirit meant for us to hatch our children.

Black Elk, Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux 1863-1950

Over a hundred years ago Black Elk had a vision of the time when Indian people would heal from the devastating effects of European migration. In his vision the Sacred Hoop which had been broken, would be mended in seven generations.

The children born into this decade will be the seventh generation.

When you were born, you cried

and the world rejoiced.

Live your life

so that when you die,

the world cries and you rejoice.

White Elk

If the white man wants to live in peace

with the Indian, he can live in peace...

Treat all men alike. Give them all the

same law.Give them all an even chance

to live and grow.All men were made by

the same Great Spirit Chief.

They are all brothers. The Earth is the

mother of all people, and all people

should have equal rights upon it....

Let me be a free man,free to travel,

free to stop,free to work,free to trade

where I choose my own teachers,

free to follow the religion of my

fathers,free to think and talk and act

for myself, and I will obey every law,

or submit to the penalty.

Heinmot Tooyalaket ( Chief Joseph), Nez Perce Leader

Humankind has not woven the web of life.

We are but one thread within it.

Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.

All things are bound together.

All things connect.

Chief Seattle, 1854

The True Peace

The first peace, which is the most important,

is that which comes within the souls of people

when they realize their relationship,

their oneness, with the universe and all its powers,

and when they realize that at the center

of the universe dwells Wakan-Taka (the Great Spirit),

and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.

This is the real peace, and the others are but reflections of this.

The second peace is that which is made between two individuals,

and the third is that which is made between two nations.

But above all you should understand that there can never

be peace between nations until there is known that true peace,

which, as I have often said, is within the souls of men.

Black Elk, Oglala Sioux & Spiritual Leader (1863 - 1950)

May the stars carry your sadness away,

May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,

May hope forever wipe away your tears,

And, above all, may silence make you strong.

Chief Dan George

Hold On

Hold on to what is good,

Even if it's a handful of earth.

Hold on to what you believe,

Even if it's a tree that stands by itself.

Hold on to what you must do,

Even if it's a long way from here.

Hold on to your life,

Even if it's easier to let go.

Hold on to my hand,

Even if someday I'll be gone away from you.

A Pueblo Indian Prayer

Before our white brothers arrived to make us civilized men,

we didn't have any kind of prison. Because of this, we had no delinquents.

Without a prison, there can be no delinquents.

We had no locks nor keys and therefore among us there were no thieves.

When someone was so poor that he couldn't afford a horse, a tent or a blanket,

he would, in that case, receive it all as a gift.

We were too uncivilized to give great importance to private property.

We didn't know any kind of money and consequently, the value of a human being

was not determined by his wealth.

We had no written laws laid down, no lawyers, no politicians,

therefore we were not able to cheat and swindle one another.

We were really in bad shape before the white men arrived and I don't know

how to explain how we were able to manage without these fundamental things

that (so they tell us) are so necessary for a civilized society.

John (Fire) Lame Deer

Sioux Lakota - 1903-1976

What is life?

It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across

the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator 1830 - 1890

Lakota Prayer

Wakan Tanka, Great Mystery,

teach me how to trust

my heart,

my mind,

my intuition,

my inner knowing,

the senses of my body,

the blessings of my spirit.

Teach me to trust these things

so that I may enter my Sacred Space

and love beyond my fear,

and thus Walk in Balance

with the passing of each glorious Sun.

According to the Native People, the Sacred Space

is the space between exhalation and inhalation.

To Walk in Balance is to have Heaven (spirituality)

and Earth (physicality) in Harmony.

And while I stood there

I saw more than I can tell,

and I understood more than I saw;

for I was seeing in a sacred manner

the shapes of things in the spirit,

and the shape of all shapes as they must

live together like one being.

Black Elk, Black Elk Speaks

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

Trouble no one about their religion;

respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.

Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.

Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.

Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.

Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,

even a stranger, when in a lonely place.

Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living.

If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.

Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools

and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled

with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep

and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Chief Tecumseh (Crouching Tiger) Shawnee Nation 1768-1813

O' GREAT SPIRIT

help me always

to speak the truth quietly,

to listen with an open mind

when others speak,

and to remember the peace

that may be found in silence.

Cherokee Prayer

Peace and happiness are available in every moment.

Peace is every step. We shall walk hand in hand.

There are no political solutions to spiritual problems.

Remember: If the Creator put it there, it is in the right place.

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.

Tell your people that, since we were promised we should never be moved,

we have been moved five times.

An Indian Chief, 1876.

When all the trees have been cut down,

when all the animals have been hunted,

when all the waters are polluted,

when all the air is unsafe to breathe,

only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Like the grasses showing tender faces to each other,

thus should we do,

for this was the wish of the Grandfathers of the World.

Black Elk

I do not think the measure of a civilization

is how tall its buildings of concrete are,

But rather how well its people have learned to relate

to their environment and fellow man.

Sun Bear of the Chippewa Tribe

We do not want schools....

they will teach us to have churches.

We do not want churches....

they will teach us to quarrel about God.

We do not want to learn that.

We may quarrel with men sometimes

about things on this earth,

but we never quarrel about God.

We do not want to learn that.

Heinmot Tooyalaket ( Chief Joseph), Nez Perce Leader

Certain things catch your eye,

But pursue only those

that capture your heart.

old indian saying

Thanksgiving

We return thanks to our mother, the earth,

which sustains us.

We return thanks to the rivers and streams,

which supply us with water.

We return thanks to all herbs,

which furnish medicines for the cure of our diseases.

We return thanks to the moon and stars,

which have given to us their light when the sun was gone.

We return thanks to the sun,

that has looked upon the earth with a beneficent eye.

Lastly, we return thanks to the Great Spirit,

in Whom is embodied all goodness,

and Who directs all things for the good of Her children.

Iroquois

"Give thanks for unknown blessings

already on their way."

Native American saying

There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,

which leads to an unkown, secret place.

The old people came literally to love the soil,

and they sat or reclined on the ground with a feeling of

being close to a mothering power.

Their teepees were built upon the earth

and their altars were made of earth.

The soul was soothing, strengthening, cleansing and healing.

That is why the old Indian still sits upon the earth instead of

propping himself up and away from its life giving forces.

For him, to sit or lie upon the ground is to be able to think more deeply

and to feel more keenly. He can see more clearly into the mysteries of

life and come closer in kinship to other lives about him.

Chief Luther Standing Bear

www.angelfire.com/ca/Indian/stories.

linked-image

linked-image

Edited by REBEL

Beautiful REBEL, absolutely beautiful, i have been sitting here for a while thinking of a way i can express how i felt whilst reading these quotes, sayings and words of wisdom.

They are inspiring and written from the heart, this is how it should be, this is how we should view all people no matter what nationality, religion, with a tolerance for others and a natural respect for the human race.

We dont need to rule or have wars because of faith or culture, we need to take a step back and appreciate the uniqueness of the individual, be kinda boring if we were the same.

A civilization like this one who had beliefs like they did makes it even more despicable, persecution and for what?

I have no answer for it, how can anyone have the right to take away land and that persons life style without feeling shame and guilt? like it or not we are all connected, its like destroying part of yourself to degrade and ruin a civilisation in that way, we are not gods who can decide who lives and die.

But like I said.. some tribes have a concern for nature and the enviroment... but not all.

You speak of your personal view of one tribe, and this puts the blinders on me? Nothing you have said about this group has had a major impact on our environment!!

(and this is not a pot shot.. but.. why does it seem that almost everyone who says they are some degree of native american.. that degree is cherokee? Sunny's about the 9th person in a matter of two weeks to say that they're part cherokee.. I'm just finding it.. slightly odd I guess. I'm not... not believeing anyone who says that... it's just kinda .. odd. There's a woman in my class that .. reminds.. us every day that she's a quarter cherokee.. *eye twitch* Guess that's why it seems like it now.. I dunno..)

I (normally) would find your "cherokee" comment desperate, but instead, I have to agree with it- I find those people who claim without warrent pathetic- but its only b/c that is what the've been told, perhaps. We see that A LOT here!!

Cheif Martin asked a group of people how many were "cherokee" blood... and everyone except for 5 raised their hands-this was out of 60 people. When Cheif broke it down by lineage, it boiled down to only two could claim genuine lineage...His grandson, and myself. -- To claim this, I would have to be more than 1/16 degree of "Cherokee blood." My grandfather was cherokee born in western N. Carolina (cherokee county) and his parents are/were registered by BIA on the Baker's Role 24' (eastern band division N.C). The broken form name ended as Duke.. that's enough info.

He marries "white" woman from nearby county- gave birth to no one other than my moma later...who had me eventually.

Why do they always use "cherokee?" I have no idea, nor do I care to know.

Edited by Sunny98

Hope these haven't been posted already.

Native American Indian's Words of Wisdom

An Indian nation at peace and at war, who were forced to accept values that were so widely divorced from those of their own historic culture and way of life. There is much wonder and mysticism within their religions, core beliefs and practices that offer some guidance and comfort if applied to the modern world.

Lands they have inherited for eons, lands and creatures they loved and cared for, were unceremoniously taken away from them for either for a pittance or by force. If the American Indians tried to protect what was theirs then extreme force was put to use to quell and subdue them, they were made out as wrong in an narcissus world.. History tells their story so well.

Below and on the quotes page you will find some words of wisdom, quotes and prophecy that can be indeed applied to our very modern life that is worlds apart for the world of those that wrote them.

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce (Nimiputimt)

* Quotes

We were taught to believe that the Great Spirit sees and hears everything, and that he never forgets, that hereafter he will give every man a spirit home according to his deserts; If he has been a good man, he will have a good home; if he has been a bad man, he will have a bad home. This I believe, and all my people believe the same.

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and all the broken promises. There has been too much talking by men who had no right to talk.

It does not require many words to speak the truth.

If the white man wants to live in peace with the Indian, he can live in peace. Treat all men alike.Give them all the same law.Give them all an even chance to live and grow.All men were made by the same Great Spirit Chief. They are all brothers. The Earth is the mother of all people, and all people should have equal rights upon it. Let me be a free man,free to travel, free to stop,free to work,free to trade where I choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers,free to think and talk and act for myself, and I will obey every law, or submit to the penalty."

You might as well expect the rivers to run backward as that any man who was born free should be contented to be penned up and denied liberty to go where he pleases.

We are taught to believe that the Great Spirit sees and hears everything, and that he never forgets: that hereafter he will give every man a spirit-home according to his deserts.... This I believe, and all my people belive the same

Eagle Chief (Letakos-Lesa) Pawnee

* Quotes

In the beginning of all things, wisdom and knowledge were with the animals, for Tirawa, the One Above, did not speak directly to man. He sent certain animals to tell men that he showed himself through the beast, and that from them, and from the stars and the sun and moon should man learn.. all things tell of Tirawa.

All things in the world are two. In our minds we are two, good and evil. With our eyes we see two things, things that are fair and things that are ugly.... We have the right hand that strikes and makes for evil, and we have the left hand full of kindness, near the heart. One foot may lead us to an evil way, the other foot may lead us to a good. So are all things two, all two.

Chief Seattle, chief of the Suquamis

* Chief Seattle's Thoughts

How can you buy or sell the sky, the warmth of the land? The idea is strange to us.

If we do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the water, how can you buy them?

Every part of this earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every clearing and humming insect is holy in the memory and experience of my people. The sap which courses through the trees carries the memories of the red man.

The white man's dead forget the country of their birth when they go to walk among the stars. Our dead never forget this beautiful earth, for it is the mother of the red man. We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters; the deer, the horse, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the juices in the meadows, the body heat of the pony, and man --- all belong to the same family.

So, when the Great Chief in Washington sends word that he wishes to buy our land, he asks much of us. The Great Chief sends word he will reserve us a place so that we can live comfortably to ourselves. He will be our father and we will be his children.

So, we will consider your offer to buy our land. But it will not be easy. For this land is sacred to us. This shining water that moves in the streams and rivers is not just water but the blood of our ancestors. If we sell you the land, you must remember that it is sacred, and you must teach your children that it is sacred and that each ghostly reflection in the clear water of the lakes tells of events and memories in the life of my people. The water's murmur is the voice of my father's father.

The rivers are our brothers, they quench our thirst. The rivers carry our canoes, and feed our children. If we sell you our land, you must remember, and teach your children, that the rivers are our brothers and yours, and you must henceforth give the rivers the kindness you would give any brother.

We know that the white man does not understand our ways. One portion of land is the same to him as the next, for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the land whatever he needs. The earth is not his brother, but his enemy, and when he has conquered it, he moves on. He leaves his father's grave behind, and he does not care. He kidnaps the earth from his children, and he does not care. His father's grave, and his children's birthright are forgotten. He treats his mother, the earth, and his brother, the sky, as things to be bought, plundered, sold like sheep or bright beads. His appetite will devour the earth and leave behind only a desert.

I do not know. Our ways are different than your ways. The sight of your cities pains the eyes of the red man. There is no quiet place in the white man's cities. No place to hear the unfurling of leaves in spring or the rustle of the insect's wings. The clatter only seems to insult the ears. And what is there to life if a man cannot hear the lonely cry of the whippoorwill or the arguments of the frogs around the pond at night? I am a red man and do not understand. The Indian prefers the soft sound of the wind darting over the face of a pond and the smell of the wind itself, cleaned by a midday rain, or scented with pinon pine.

The air is precious to the red man for all things share the same breath, the beast, the tree, the man, they all share the same breath. The white man does not seem to notice the air he breathes. Like a man dying for many days he is numb to the stench. But if we sell you our land, you must remember that the air is precious to us, that the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports.

The wind that gave our grandfather his first breath also receives his last sigh. And if we sell you our land, you must keep it apart and sacred as a place where even the white man can go to taste the wind that is sweetened by the meadow's flowers.

So we will consider your offer to buy our land. If we decide to accept, I will make one condition - the white man must treat the beasts of this land as his brothers.

I am a savage and do not understand any other way. I have seen a thousand rotting buffaloes on the prairie, left by the white man who shot them from a passing train. I am a savage and do not understand how the smoking iron horse can be made more important than the buffalo that we kill only to stay alive.

What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of our grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children that we have taught our children that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.

This we know; the earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth. This we know. All things are connected like the blood which unites one family. All things are connected.

Even the white man, whose God walks and talks with him as friend to friend, cannot be exempt from the common destiny. We may be brothers after all. We shall see. One thing we know which the white man may one day discover; our God is the same God.

You may think now that you own Him as you wish to own our land; but you cannot. He is the God of man, and His compassion is equal for the red man and the white. The earth is precious to Him, and to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its creator. The whites too shall pass; perhaps sooner than all other tribes. Contaminate your bed and you will one night suffocate in your own waste.

But in your perishing you will shine brightly fired by the strength of the God who brought you to this land and for some special purpose gave you dominion over this land and over the red man.

That destiny is a mystery to us, for we do not understand when the buffalo are all slaughtered, the wild horses are tamed, the secret corners of the forest heavy with the scent of many men and the view of the ripe hills blotted by talking wires.

Where is the thicket? Gone. Where is the eagle? Gone.

The end of living and the beginning of survival.

All things share the same breath - the beast, the tree, the man... the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.

Man does not weave this web of life. He is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

Crazy Horse/Tashunkewitko, Oglala

* Quotes

A very great vision is needed and the man who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky. I was hostile to the white man...we preferred hunting to a life of idleness on our reservations. At times we did not get enough to eat and we were not allowed to hunt. All we wanted was peace and to be left alone. Soldiers came and destroyed our villages. Then Long Hair (Custer) came...They say we massacred him, but he would have done the same to us. Our first impulse was to escape but we were so hemmed in we had to fight.

One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.

A very great vision is needed and the man who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky.

I was hostile to the white man...We preferred hunting to a life of idleness on our reservations. At times we did not get enough to eat and we were not allowed to hunt. All we wanted was peace and to be let alone. Soldiers came...in the winter..and destroyed our villages. Then Long Hair (Custer) came...They said we massacred him, but he would have done the same to us. Our first impulse was to escape...but we were so hemmed in we had to fight. After that I lived in peace, but the government would not let me alone. I was not allowed to remain quiet. I was tired of fighting...They tried to confine me..and a soldier ran his bayonet into me. I have spoken.

We did not ask you white men to come here. The Great Spirit gave us this country as a home. You had yours. We did not interfere with you. The Great Spirit gave us plenty of land to live on, and buffalo, deer, antelope and other game. But you have come here; you are taking my land from me; you are killing off our game, so it is hard for us to live. Now, you tell us to work for a living, but the Great Spirit did not make us to work, but to live by hunting. You white men can work if you want to. We do not interfere with you, and again you say why do you not become civilized? We do not want your civilization! We would live as our fathers did, and their fathers before them." . . . .

^^ Back to top ^^

Famous Quotes from American Indian Leaders

Tecumseh - Shawnee

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and Demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, Beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and Its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, Even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and Bow to none. When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the food and For the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, The fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and nothing, For abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts Are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes They weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again In a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Ohiyesa, Wahpeton Santee Sioux

The Wise Man believes profoundly in silence - the sign of a perfect equilibrium. Silence is the absolute poise or balance of body, mind and spirit. The man who preserves his selfhood ever calm and unshaken by the storms of existence - not a leaf, as it were, astire on the tree, not a ripple upon the surface of the shinning pool - his, in the mind of the unlettered sage, is the ideal attitude and conduct of life. Silence is the cornerstone of character.

Silence is the absolute poise or balance of body, mind and spirit. The man who preserves his selfhood is ever calm and unshaken by the storms of existence ... What are the fruits of silence? They are self-control, true courage or endurance, patience, dignity and reverence. Silence is the cornerstone of character.

It was our belief that the love of possessions is a weakness to be overcome. Its appeal is to the material part, and if allowed its way, it will in time disturb one's spiritual balance. Therefore, children must early learn the beauty of generosity. They are taught to give what they prize most, that they may taste the happiness of giving.

Tecumseh, Shawnee Nation

Where today are the Pequot? Where are the Narragansett, the Mohican, the Pokanoket, and many other once powerful tribes of our people? They have vanished before the avarice and the oppression of the White Man, as snow before a summer sun. "Will we let ourselves be destroyed in our turn without a struggle, give up our homes, our country bequeathed to us by the Great Spirit, the graves of our dead and everything that is dear and sacred to us? I know you will cry

with me, 'Never! Never!

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Our land is more valuable than your money. It will last forever. It will not even perish by the flames of fire. As long as the sun shines and the waters flow, this land will be here to give life to men and animals. We cannot sell the lives of men and animals. It was put here by the Great Spirit and we cannot sell it because it does not belong to us

John Wooden Legs, Cheyenne

Our land is everything to us...I will tell you one of the things we remember on our land. We remember that our grandfathers paid for it - with their lives."

Black Hawk, Sauk

How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right.

Chief Yellow Lark, Lakota

Oh, Great Spirit Whose voice I hear in the winds, And whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me, I am small and weak, I need your strength and wisdom. Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset. Make my hands respect the things your have made and my ears sharp to hear your voice.Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have taught my people Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself. Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes. So when life fades, as the fading sunset, my Spirit may come to you without shame.

A Native American Prayer. O' Great Spirit Whose voice I hear in the winds And whose breath gives life To all the world Hear me! I am small and weak, I need your strength and wisdom, Let me walk in beauty And make my eyes ever behold The red and purple sunset. Make my hands respect The things you have made And my ears sharp To hear your voice Make me wise So I may see ever so clearly The ways you have to teach me Let me learn The lessons you have hidden in every leaf and cloud I seek your strength, Not to be greater then my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy... Myself Make me always ready to come to you With clean hands And straight eyes So when life fades, as the fading sunset, My spirit may come to you Without shame.

Red Cloud, Oglala Sioux

I am poor and naked but I am the chief of a nation. We do not want riches but we do want to train our children right. Riches would do us no good. We could not take them with us to the other world. We do not want riches. We want peace and love.

Eagle Chief (Letakos-Lesa) Pawnee

In the beginning of all things, wisdom and knowledge were with the animals, for Tirawa, the One Above, did not speak directly to man. He sent certain animals to tell men that he showed himself through the beast, and that from them, and from the stars and the sun and moon should man learn.. all things tell of Tirawa.

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset

We know our lands have now become more valuable. The white people think we do not know their value; but we know that the land is everlasting, and the few goods we receive for it are soon worn out and gone.

All things in the world are two. In our minds we are two, good and evil. With our eyes we see two things, things that are fair and things that are ugly.... We have the right hand that strikes and makes for evil, and we have the left hand full of kindness, near the heart. One foot may lead us to an evil way, the other foot may lead us to a good. So are all things two, all two.

Chief Aupumut, Mohican

When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.

Qwatsinas, Nuxalk Nation

We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees.

Black Elk, Lakota

I did not know then how much was ended. When I look back now from this high hill of my old age, I can still see the butchered women and children lying heapen and scattered all along the crooked gulch as plain as when I saw them with eyes still young.And I can see that something else died there in the bloody mud, and was buried in the blizzard. A people dream died there. It was a beautiful dream. . . the nations hoop is broken and scattered. There is no center any longer, and the sacred tree is dead.

And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell, and I understood more than I saw; for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being.

Red Cloud (Makhipiya-luta) Sioux Chief

I am poor and naked, but I am the chief of a nation. We do not want riches but we do want to train our children right. Riches would do us no good. We could not take them with us to the other world. We do not want riches. We want peace and love.

Sogoyewapha, (Red Jacket), Seneca

We first knew you a feeble plant which wanted a little earth whereon to grow. We gave it to you; and afterward, when we could have trod you under our feet, we watered and protected you; and now you have grown to be a mighty tree, whose top reaches the clouds, and whose branches overspread the whole land, whilst we, who were the tall pines of the forest, have become a feeble plant and need your protection.

Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Sioux Chief

Conversation was never begun at once, nor in a hurried manner. No one was quick with a question, no matter how important, and no one was pressed for an answer. A pause giving time for thought was the truly courteous way of beginning and conducting a conversation. Silence was meaningful with the Lakota, and his granting a space of silence to the speech-maker and his own moment of silence before talking was done in the practice of true politeness and regard for the rule that "thought comes before speech.

There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled, which leads to an unkown, secret place. The old people came literally to love the soil, and they sat or reclined on the ground with a feeling of being close to a mothering power. Their teepees were built upon the earth and their altars were made of earth. The soul was soothing, strengthening, cleansing and healing. That is why the old Indian still sits upon the earth instead of propping himself up and away from its life giving forces. For him, to sit or lie upon the ground is to be able to think more deeply and to feel more keenly. He can see more clearly into the mysteries of life and come closer in kinship to other lives about him.

Satanta, Kiowa

I love this land and the buffalo and will not part with it. I want you to understand well what I say. Write it on paper...I hear a great deal of good talk from the gentlemen the Great Father sends us, but they never do what they say. I don't want any of the medicine lodges (schools and churches) within the country. I want the children raised as I was. I have heard you intend to settle us on a reservation near the mountains. I don't want to settle. I love to roam over the prairies. There I feel free and happy, but when we settle down we grow pale and die. A long time ago this land belonged to our fathers, but when I go up to the river I see camps of soldiers on its banks. These soldiers cut down my timber, they kill my buffalo and when I see that, my heart feels like bursting.

Tatanka Yotanka (Sitting Bull), Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux

We want no white person or persons here. The Black Hills belong to me. If the whites try to take them, I will fight. "If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. He put in your heart certain wishes and plans, and in my heart he put other and different desires. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows.

Behold, my brothers, the spring has come; the earth has received the embraces of the sun and we shall soon see the results of that love! Every seed has awakened and so has all animal life. It is through this mysterious power that we too have our being and we therefore yield to our neighbours, even our animal neighbours, the same right as ourselves, to inhabit this land.

Ancient Indian Proverbs, Sayings, Prophecys and Prayers

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.

When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it. No taxes no debt, women did all the work White man thought he could improve on a system like this.

~ Old Cherokee Saying

When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us.

~ Arapaho Proverb

Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find money cannot be eaten.

~ Cree Prophecy

May the Warm Winds of Heaven, Blow softly upon your house. May the Great Spirit, Bless all who enter there. May your Mocassins, Make happy tracks in many snows,and may the Rainbow Always touch your shoulder.

~ Cherokee Prayer Blessing

Wakan Tanka, Great Mystery, teach me how to trust my heart, my mind, my intuition, my inner knowing, the senses of my body, the blessings of my spirit. Teach me to trust these things so that I may enter my Sacred Space and love beyond my fear, and thus Walk in Balance with the passing of each glorious Sun.

~ Lakota Prayer

O' GREAT SPIRIT, help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence.

~ Cherokee Prayer

Certain things catch your eye, But pursue only those that capture your heart.

~ An old indian saying

Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.

~ Native American saying

Lose your temper and you lose a friend; lie and you lose yourself.

~Hopi

Peace and happiness are available in every moment.Peace is every step. We shall walk hand in hand. There are no political solutions to spiritual problems. Remember: If the Creator put it there, it is in the right place. The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.

source:

http://www.stevenredhead.com/Native/