Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Native American Culture.

War Eagle

I hope this helps EmpressStar

linked-image

Ethnie: MONETON

Language: Tutelo

Family: Southeastern Siouan

Stock: Siouan Proper

Phylum: Siouan

Macro-Culture: Eastern Woodlands

Speakers None

The Moneton were a sedentary hunter/farmer tribe. The eastern Siouans fissioned from the greater Siouan culture about 1,000 B. C. and crossed the Appalachians into their arrival territory displacing the previous inhabitants. The Moneton lived along the lower course of the Kanawha River. Pressure from other tribes forced them to confederate with other southeastern Siouan tribes.

Aboriginal Locations: Subdivisions (Villages)

WV 1 (1)

Present Locations

Extinct as a culture

Year History

1671 First mentioned by Thomas Batts on the lower course of the Kanawha River

1674 Visited by Gabriel Arthur, indentured servant of trader Abraham Wood, last word of them as independent tribe, said to occupy a "great" town; they probably united with a Virginia Siouan tribe

Year Total WV Pop. Source

1600 500 NAHDB aboriginal estimate

1700 0 NAHDB calculation

1800 0 NAHDB calculation

1900 0 NAHDB calculation

2000 0 NAHDB calculation

Other speakers of the same language:

Manahoac, Monacan, Nahyssan, Saponi, Tutelo

Moneton Sites:

Moneton Village, West Virginia http://www.wvexp.com/index.php/Moneton_Village

Tutelo Language http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=tta

Tutelo Language http://www.native-languages.org/tutelo.htm

Tutelo Language Revitalized http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096411042

Tutelo Linguistic Lineage http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tta

Source

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• War Eagle

• Radian

• Barek Halfhand

• Gone away

I know that i've posted a lot of doom & gloom regarding the Native American people past & some present by church & Governments, but some of the stories for those myself included that had/have no prior knowledge is pretty mind blowing as to how human beings can commit such atrocities on one another in the worst and most unimaginable ways.

These 'extracts' i've posted below tells the story(the way i see it anyway)of how humanity is only slowly but surly destroying itself & their own future generations with out realization of were our destructive ways are taking us. I also believe that our ignorance of 'not listening & understanding(especially in the early days)to the all 'important wisdom & knowledge' of these ancient people carried(especially the elders)who i believe knew us better than we knew/know ourselves.

The way i also read it they were/are OUR smartest and safest defence against harm to ourselves.

I'm a great believer in what goes around comes around for good or bad, but reading a lot of these stories & by look'n @ whats going on in the world today has also made me a believer in 'history repeats'.

These extracts cover the early days of white mans invasion of the already occupied 'old world'/'ancient world' right thru to our technological/digital age of today, full story provided thru the link below.

Just my p/s view, make of it what you will.

Rebel.

linked-image

linked-imagelinked-image

Death to the Native American is a sacred passage and linked to Mother Earth.

Up to 1924 it was legal to turn in an Indian scalp and get a reward. One could kill an Indian and no harm would come to you if you were White. History, written by the White man is full of lies and the real true history can be told by only those who lived through the times. Fortunately, we have some Native Americans in their 80's and 90's who lived through this history. Prior to that they could vouch for what was told them by their elders and teachers. I have gone out of my way to meet these elders and listen to them for hours. They speak the truth and it is just a matter of time before truth prevails!

We also have some Whites who now feel like telling the truth since they cannot run away from deception for ever. In no other country in the world, has no much injustice been done to the Native people, as have we in the United States. Imagine, thousands of Native Americans in just California robbed of their land, their homes, and treated as second class citizens. Even today many of them are home less and have been robbed of their self worth.

The Native American has ties to the land of his or her birth, tradition, Mother Earth, spirituality, rituals, the Spirits, so many important elements that Whites cannot fathom, because most Whites are spiritually dead! These may sound like harsh words but I myself have seen it with my eyes. Most Whites center their lives around greed and money! While money buys you some needs it cannot make you happy - spiritually! We have so many Living Dead.

Unlike the Christian concept, tradition passed from generation to generation plays an important role when any Native American passes away. Death is just a transition and one's sojourn on this earth requires that the spirits be respected. Native American human remains are sacred a concept that Whites find real difficult to comprehend!

Rich Native American languages are no more, traditions developed over thousands of years totally destroyed, people forced to inter marry to survive, many forced to commit suicide rather than suffer at the hands of the Whites. So many atrocities committed that it makes one's stomach churn and that too by the authorities who thought they were right!

The Catholic Church has been too slow to admit that much wrong was done to the Native Americans by the early missionaries. The missionaries destroyed many a noble Native American tradition in the name of King and Church!

The United States government has in its very short history been very unfair to the Native Americans. The U.S. government has lied and even today the Department of Interior (DOI) has blood on its hands. Millions of dollars of Indian Trust money was misused by the DOI. A Federal judge had to reprimand the agency and the agency apologized for its misdeeds, just a few months ago.

The Digital age could easily come to haunt today's civilization. While most think that the digital age can bring a lot of change and bring a lot of progress. Quiet the opposite is possible.

Some leading philosophers, physicists, computer scientists, and learned persons seriously believe that the quantum leap made by computers could destroy our civilization. Again and again we have had renegades use the Internet to destroy and down load programs and viruses that have played havoc. It is just a matter of time before whole cities will be brought to a halt.

Digital science gives anyone who is clever enough to manipulate programs and viruses that can cause tremendous damage, destroy progress, and bring nations to a halt. This is done by corrupting operational systems that are linked to computers. These computers have software that are fully prone to computer viruses without warning. In seconds what is fully operational can come to a grinding halt. Huge power systems, systems that control communications, hospitals, you name it.

Digital science is still probing ways to control certain progress by developing checks and balances. The problem is no one entity can be at the helm of affairs. Some one from a third world country can totally destroy thousands of man hours of work and bring computers and any industry to a halt on any given day at any given time. Some one can do it right here in the United States!

No one has fully addressed the elements that will arise from toxicity. Computer generated operations and toxicity go hand in hand.

No one has fully addressed the transportation system. As it stands today Public Transportation at the Presidio of San Francisco - sucks. If every one will commute by car, imagine the traffic congestion, the pollution, the parking problems and so on.

The Presidio of San Francisco once inhabited by the Native Americans, stolen and exploited by the past and present authorities, will never be the same. How ever we can prevent it from going down the drain. Today, no one really fully cares about the future. What most in authority really care is greed and money!

"Whites in California hunted Indians 'as though they were wild beasts' and shot them 'with as much nonchalance as though they were squirrels."

quote from a Forty-Niner

*extracts only...

http://www.franciscodacosta.com/index.html#presidio

linked-image

linked-imagelinked-image

:o

The unrepenting shame of the Uniting, Catholic & Anglican Churches of Canada.

*Church sanctioned genocide.

*Sexually assulted native children.

*Residential school death camps.

*50,000 deaths

*Censorship-Complicity-Denial-Cover ups.

Residential school survivors and other witnesses to crimes of Genocide by the Anglican, Catholic and United Church will be speaking, and demanding:

1. Where are 50,000 residential school children buried?

2. How did they die?

3. When will these churches return their remains?

:no:

Yea Barek, big time shame on the churches for what they did & to acknowledge that the genocidal atrocities took place, BUT turn around all these years later & say that they have nothing to apologize about...man that has to be one of the biggest kick in the teeth while your down i ever heard of.

Later Barek.

Here are some quotations/statements made by Native American Elders who survived the atrocities & also by Distinguished Professors & Historians.

Rebel.

linked-image

linked-image

One of the most disturbing things that I ever came across in documentation was the inaugural address of California's first Governor, McDougal when he declared: that a war of extermination would be made against the Indians until the Indian Race is extinct! It is a classic example of the head of a modern state endorsing Genocide. -Edward Castillo, Professor of History.

http://www.eyapaha.net/castilloexcerpt.html

Whereas the Spanish wanted to exploit the Natives, that is use them up like draft horses or other animals... and then dispose of them because there were so many· The British had no use for the Indians! None at all... All they wanted was the land. [so even] as destructive and horrible as the Spanish were, the British were more nakedly genocidal. They just wanted to kill. They just wanted to clear the land and the Indians were part of the land. Just as the trees were. Just as the bushes were. Just as the animals were. Clear it! Wipe them out! -David E. Stanndard, Prof. of American Studies.

http://www.eyapaha.net/stannardexcerpt.html

And they said that if a person from the village never converted to Christianity, they were shot like dogs, because they [the Spanish] said that they weren't people. And people like my grandfather, who didn't want to be Christianized and who didn't want to be shot like a dog, just took their belongings and scooted the heck out of here. And my grandfather who was a Miwok ended up with my father's people, the Pomo People, for protection and married my great great grandmother who was a Pomo woman and that's where my heritage comes from. -Lanny Pinola, Pomo Indian elder

http://www.eyapaha.net/lannyexcerpt.html

It made me feel bad that I didn't know my own language. But my dad was raised with his Grandma and he couldn't speak English. And I guess when he went to school, they beat it out of him. So when we came along he didn't talk or he didn't remember, so we were left without any language... [we don't know] our own language and ours is pretty much extinct. -Cathryn Lincoln, was born in 1922.

http://www.eyapaha.net/lincolnexcerpt.html

Remember Andrew Jackson. He said, "Annihilate the Indians from the face of the earth!" See, but we're still here. We're so persistent! And you know when they said, "We want you to assimilate into the dominant society." We can't! Because we have our own ways... we have our own religion. We can't join them! We can learn their language and do whatever they do but we can't become a part of them. It's impossible! -Katherine Saubel, Cahuilla Elder

http://www.eyapaha.net/saubelexcerpt.html

Yes, my elders knew what they lost: they lost their homelands, they lost their culture, they lost their language, and everything they possibly ever dreamed of was gone. But yet they held on to the hope and belief that someday, for their children, their grand children, their great, great grandchildren not yet born, there would be a better time. -Lanny Pinola, Pomo Indian elder.

http://www.eyapaha.net/lannyexcerpt.html

It was all Indian slaves that built those missions· and I don't know how by luck he [my great great uncle] ran away from there again and went home. And he said, "You know what they are doing to our people?" And he said, "They made us do this!" and he would kneel down. "And if we didn't do that, they'd whip us!" And you had to become that or otherwise you where going to be killed. "And we had to make the sign of the cross." [she crosses herself] He didn't know what they were doing. He didn't know anything about it. Then they were whipped. They were not given any food, and they had to be hungry all the time. He said, "that's what they're doing to my people over there. And they're not treating them right at all!"

That's what he said. -Katherine Saubel, Cahuilla Elder.

http://www.eyapaha.net/saubelexcerpt.html

By the turn of the Twentieth Century, I think 1910 by official US Census Bureau statistics, thereâs something like 250,000 Indians and thatâs all! From a number that could have been ten million or twelve million· nobody knows.

But in any case itâs in the ninety percentile of destruction. -David E. Stanndard is Prof. of American Studies.

http://www.eyapaha.net/stannardexcerpt.html

Killing is some kind of a disease, I think. You start killing, maybe you can't stop. You know... like a dog starts killing chickens. I don't think you can stop that dog from killing chickens any more. You gotta do something with the dog or get rid of the chickens. I think that thing gets in humans beings too... a very evil spirit invades! It takes over. Becomes paramount. -Dr. Darryl "Babe" Wilson, Author, Professor and Tribal Historian.

http://www.eyapaha.net/wilsonexcerpt.html

One ploy... one thing they [white people] would do to... I don't know, to make them feel better or something! If some new person for instance would move in or near Round Valley... an American, they'd go over and burn his house down. And then they'd leave bows and arrows there, which was the indication that Indians had attacked this settler, which gave them better excuse to go down to the reservation and just start killing at random. -Dr. Darryl "Babe" Wilson, Author, Professor and Tribal Historian.

http://www.eyapaha.net/wilsonexcerpt.html

linked-image

linked-image

Edited by REBEL

( I hope this hasn't already been posted)

linked-image

A Lakota Prayer

Oh, Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds

and whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me.

I am small and weak.

I need your strength and wisdom.

Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes

ever behold the red and purple sunset.

Make my hands respect the things you have made

and my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make me wise so that I may understand

the things you have taught my people.

Let me learn the lessons you have hidden

in every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be superior to my brother,

but to fight my greatest enemy - myself.

Make me always ready to come to you

with clean hands and straight eyes,

so when life fades, as the fading sunset,

my spirit will come to you

without shame.

American Indian (Lakota) - Chief Yellow Lark

Source

A very beautiful prayer and so true. The atrocities discribed in this thread truely pain me and how I wish I could undo them. I know that I am answerable only to my own deeds, but the sadness for what has been done is still there. May all of mankind rise to a higher level of spiritual being and may those who have been wronged and wounded be healed.

linked-image

Many followers of Native American Spirituality, do not regard their spiritual beliefs and practices as a "religion" in the way in which many Christians do. Their beliefs and practices form a integral and seamless part of their very being.

linked-image

linked-image"The culture, values and traditions of native people amount to more than crafts and carvings. Their respect for the wisdom of their elders, their concept of family responsibilities extending beyond the nuclear family to embrace a whole village, their respect for the environment, their willingness to share - all of these values persist within their own culture even though they have been under unremitting pressure to abandon them." Mr. Justice Thomas Berger, Mackenzie Valley Pipeline Inquiry, (aka the Berger Inquiry).

linked-image"Rather than going to church, I attend a sweat lodge; rather than accepting bread and toast [sic] from the Holy Priest, I smoke a ceremonial pipe to come into Communion with the Great Spirit; and rather than kneeling with my hands placed together in prayer, I let sweetgrass be feathered over my entire being for spiritual cleansing and allow the smoke to carry my prayers into the heavens. I am a Mi'kmaq, and this is how we pray." Noah Augustine, from his article "Grandfather was a knowing Christian," Toronto Star, Toronto ON Canada, 2000-AUG-9.

linked-image"If you take [a copy of] the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible IS the wind." Statement by an anonymous Native woman.

Source

Edited by dixiepixie

Does anyone else think that the crimes committed against the Native American people is not talked about enough? We always hear about slavery and the holocaust, but how often are the Native Americans really brought up? It's almost like it has been forgotten :\

Does anyone else think that the crimes committed against the Native American people is not talked about enough? We always hear about slavery and the holocaust, but how often are the Native Americans really brought up? It's almost like it has been forgotten :\

Maybe its because the Native Americans aren't talking about it?

Maybe its because the Native Americans aren't talking about it?

They do daily you just don't hear about it on mainstream news.

Indigenous Peoples Consultation

(exerpt from above article)

Speaking on the 500 years of colonization and the contribution of the consultation in decolonization, Acosta said, ''The fact is we will never recover unless we face [colonization]. And that is what we are doing with these types of actions.

''It is to the benefit and betterment of the world for the future generations. We can't allow these things that have happened to us to be repeated.''

What happened to the Native Americans and many other peoples at the hands of White and Spanish explorers and settlers always makes me sad :(

Sorry for the late reply Kaylee.

I couldn't agree more, Spanish under authorization by the Roman Catholic Church then later the British , hunted these people down with the intention to wipe them out & or off the face of the earth all those years ago.

But the case/story in question(The Canadian Holocaust) happened in ''early in this century'' all under the authorization of the United, Catholic & Anglican Churches...all crimes & atrocities commited in ''God's name''...God bless their hearts.

later Kaylee.

More on the Black Hawk.......B

The Black Hawk War, named for the leader of a band of Sauk and Fox Indians, was the result of government cession of lands in Illinois.

www.il.ngb.army.mil/.../Blackhawk.htm

linked-image

linked-imagelinked-image

linked-image

Black Hawk War

The Black Hawk War, named for the leader of a band of Sauk and Fox Indians, was the result of government cession of lands in Illinois.

On July 10, 1830, Sauk Chief Keokuk sold 26,500,000 acres of Sauk land east of the Mississippi to the United States government for three cents an acre. The land included a village at the junction of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers, which had been home to Black Hawk and his band of Sauk and Fox Indians for more than 150 years. In the Fall of 1830, when Black Hawk and his followers returned from their hunt, they found white settlers occupying their village. Black Hawk did not sanction the sale of this land and was determined to regain the village. Fearful settlers appealed to Governor John Reynolds, who issued a proclamation calling out a mounted volunteer militia force to repel Black Hawk and his band. With the arrival of the militia, Black Hawk retreated west across the Mississippi.

On April 6, 1832, Black Hawk and his band of 1,000 returned to Illinois in an attempt to reclaim their homeland. The Governor, considering this an invasion, mobilized the militia of 1,600 men and called for additional support from U.S. troops. Federal authorities, along with Sauk and Fox tribal councils, ordered Black Hawk and his band west of the Mississippi, but they refused to leave.

The governor issued a proclamation on April 16, mustering five brigades of volunteers to form at Beardstown and to head north to force Black Hawk out of Illinois. On May 9, the militia began an aggressive pursuit, finally coming into contact with Black Hawk and his warriors on the Rock River near Dixon. When the militia fired upon them, the warriors returned fire and killed eleven militiamen. Although the militia numbered 300, they fled after the initial volley and returned home with news that 2,000 "bloodthirsty warriors were sweeping all Northern Illinois with the bosom of destruction." After this initial skirmish, Black Hawk sent the women and children of his band to the Michigan Territory and then descended into Northern Illinois.

On May 19th, the militia traveled up the Rock River in search of Black Hawk. Several small skirmishes ensued when they encountered the Indians raiding the Illinois settlements of Ottawa and Galena. Following these skirmishes, the governor recruited additional militia forces, raising the number to 4,000. With the one-month enlistment for militia already expired, the Governor mustered them out of service on May 27 and 28. The Federal Government then ordered General Winfield Scott with 1,000 regulars and 300 mounted volunteers to resume the chase.

From the end of June to the beginning of August, the Federal troops pursued Black Hawk and his band throughout Northern Illinois. They remained hot on his trail, but always seemed to remain 2 to 3 days behind. On August 1, with his band depleted and hungry, Black Hawk surrendered on the Mississippi River near the mouth of the Bad Axe River.

Black Hawk was ordered to board a U.S. ship positioned on the river, but many of his band had already crossed the river. When the ship’s crew fired upon the Indians on the shore, a battle ensued. 850 of Black Hawk's band and 17 soldiers were killed. Black Hawk escaped with ten warriors and 35 women and children to Wisconsin, but on August 27 they were captured and delivered to Prairie du Chien. On September 21, a peace treaty was signed with the Sauk and Fox Tribes and Black Hawk was placed in the custody of Sauk Chief Keokuk, the same man who betrayed him by selling his land two years earlier. Black Hawk never again attempted to regain his homeland.

The Black Hawk War of 1832 resulted in the deaths of seventy settlers and soldiers, and hundreds of Black Hawk’s band. The War not only affected the lives of the Indians, settlers, and militiamen involved, but also the settlement of Illinois and Wisconsin. The War was responsible for the end of conflict between whites and Indians in both states.

The Black Hawk War

By the spring of 1782, independence from Britain was won in Illinois country and the duties of the Illinois militia turned toward protection of settlements from Indian attacks. Illinois became part of the Northwest Territory in 1787 and in 1809, Illinois Territory was formed, with two counties: Saint Clair and Randolph. A military department was established under the acting governor, Nathaniel Pope, and militia regiments and companies were organized throughout the territory. Four Illinois Militia regiments were organized prior to the War of 1812. The First and Third Regiments were formed in Randolph County. These regiments included two battalions of militia troops. The Second Regiment consisted of three battalions, organized in Saint Clair County. The Fourth Regiment was formed by militiamen along the Wabash River and maintained two battalions. Illinois Territory became the 21st state to join the Union on December 3, 1818, authorized by President James Monroe, and the Illinois Militia was organized to correspond to the new state boundaries.

Though Illinois had come a long way from its early days under French rule, there was still mounting concern over conflict between whites and Indians. After 1783,

…pressures from land companies and prominent speculators, as well as the Indian-hating sentiments along the frontiers, fueled the government’s drive to secure Indian acceptance of the American land demands.

Between 1784 and 1789, government negotiation coerced Indian leaders in the East and in the Northwest Territory into signing a number of cession treaties, reducing the Indians’ land base and resources.

…[T]hese treaties were usually negotiated by the government, the insufficient authority or misrepresentation of many of the Indian individuals who signed the treaties, and the enormous loss of lands and resources resulting from the cessions caused the majority of Indian people to denounce the agreements.

The Black Hawk War, named for the leader of a band of Sauk and Fox Indians, was the result of government cession of lands in Illinois. Black Hawk was born in 1761 on the banks of the Rock River to the Sauk Indian tribe. As a young man, Black Hawk fought under Tecumseh in the War of 1812, and had formed an early dislike of United States policy regarding Indians. His feelings intensified when, on July 10, 1830, Sauk Chief Keokuk sold 26,500,000 acres of Sauk land east of the Mississippi to the United States government for three cents an acre. Part of the agreement included the selling of the village at the junction of the Rock River and the Mississippi River, a village that had been the home of Black Hawk’s band of Sauk and Fox Indians for over 150 years. Black Hawk and his followers did not sanction the sale of their lands, and when Black Hawk’s band returned from their hunt in the fall of 1830 to find whites occupying their village, they were determined to regain their homes. Fearful whites called upon Governor John Reynolds, who issued a proclamation calling out a mounted volunteer militia force to repel Black Hawk and his band. Illinois settlers volunteered to undertake this task, which ended in Black Hawk’s retreat across the river.

On April 6, 1832 Black Hawk, along with 1000 men, women and children, came back across the Mississippi into Illinois. The band proceeded up the Rock River in an attempt to reclaim their homeland, causing many settlers to flee. The governor of Illinois deemed this movement an invasion, mobilizing a militia of 1600 men and calling for support from U.S. troops. Federal authorities, along with Sauk and Fox tribal councils had ordered Black Hawk and his band west of the Mississippi, but Black Hawk would not give in. The governor issued a proclamation on April 16 that the militias assemble at Beardstown on the 22nd, and volunteers organized into four regiments under Colonel John Thomas, Jacob Fry, Abraham DeWitt and Samuel M. Thompson. A spy battalion under Major James D. Henry was formed, along with two "odd battalions" under Major Thomas James and Major Thomas Long. From Beardstown, 1600 men proceeded to Fort Armstrong and arrived there on May 7. On May 9, the militia began to pursue Black Hawk’s band. Black Hawk, knowing of Major Stillman’s encampment three miles down the Rock River near Dixon, sent men bearing white flags, but Stillman’s troops fired on them and forty of Black Hawk’s warriors retaliated, killing eleven soldiers. The militia numbered 300, but fled after the first volley from Black Hawk’s warriors. The militia returned home with news that 2000 "bloodthirsty warriors were sweeping all Northern Illinois with the bosom of destruction." After this initial skirmish, Black Hawk removed the women and children of his band to Lake Koshkonong in Michigan Territory then descended into Northern Illinois.

On the 19th, General Atkinson and the entire militia moved up the Rock River, leaving Stillman’s Corps at Dixon to care for the wounded and guard supplies, but they fled and went home. Atkinson returned to Dixon and General Whiteside followed Black Hawk’s trail up the Kishwaukee River, but many of the militia men did not want to leave Illinois territory. Having been enlisted for one month, the militia was mustered out of service by the Governor on May 27 and 28. The Federal Government ordered 1000 regulars to the seat of war from the seaboard, under General Winfield Scott to resume the chase, and three hundred volunteer mounted rangers from Illinois agreed to remain in the field under Colonel Henry Frye and Lt. Colonel James D. Henry.

On May 22 Sauks and allied Potawotomis began raiding settlements in Illinois near Ottawa and Galena, Illinois, and LaFayette County, Virginia. The militia caught up with the raiding Indians and several small skirmishes ensued near Kellogg’s Grove, Plum River Fort, Burr Oak Grove, Sinsiniwa Mound, and Blue Mounds. Three weeks after Stillman’s defeat, the governor recruited additional militia forces, raising the number to 4000 troops including mounted militia, spy battalions, rangers, regular infantry, and 75 Potawatomis.

From the end of June to the beginning of August, the militia chased Black Hawk and his band from the Illinois-Wisconsin border to the mouth of the Kishwaukee River, to Lake Koshkonong, and to Rock River, trailing behind them and missing them by two to three days at each location. On August 1 Black Hawk reached the Mississippi, at an eastern tributary, near the mouth of the Bad Axe River. His band was depleted and hungry and Black Hawk, defeated, appeared with a white flag to surrender to the Warrior, a supply transport steamer from Prairie du Chien, Captained by John Throckmorton. Black Hawk was ordered to board by his own canoe, but women and children of his band had already begun crossing the river with the band’s canoes. Throckmorton fired the cannon of the Warrior upon them at the shore, and both sides exchanged musket fire. Of the 1000 Indians who followed Black Hawk, only 150 survived the three-hour battle, and 17 white soldiers were killed. Three hundred of Black Hawk’s band managed to cross the river unscathed, but they where killed by Sioux warriors hired by General Atkinson. Black Hawk escaped with ten warriors and 35 women and children to the Dalles of Wisconsin but on August 27 they were delivered to Prairie du Chien. On September 21 a peace treaty was signed and on August 1, Black Hawk was placed under the guardianship of Keokuk. He never again attempted to regain his homeland. Black Hawk died in October 1838 at the age of 71, on a reservation on the Des Moines River in Davis County, Iowa.

The Black Hawk War of 1832 lasted fifteen weeks and resulted in the deaths of seventy settlers and soldiers and hundreds of Black Hawk’s band. The Black Hawk War affected not only the lives of the Indians, settlers, and militiamen involved, but also the settlement of Illinois and Wisconsin.

The consequence of that inglorious skirmish was a campaign which ended in the almost complete annihilation of Black Hawk’s band, the demoralization of the Sauk and Fox nation, and untold hardship and inconvenience to thousands of white persons - to say nothing of the impetus camp life gave to the spread of the cholera epidemic.

The movement of soldiers throughout the state alone caused the deaths of two hundred and fifty soldiers and settlers due to disease. The war was also responsible for the end of conflict between whites and Indians in Illinois or Wisconsin. All remaining Indian land was purchased from tribes, opening the settlement of Northern Illinois and the southern portion of Wisconsin. It called attention to the

attractions and resources of an important section of the Northwest. The troops acted as explorers of a large tract concerning which nothing hitherto definitely been known among white men From the press were issued books and pamphlets by the score, giving sketches of the war and accounts of the newly discovered paradise they advertised the country as set flowing thither a tide of immigration.

also:

www.historycentral.com/Ant/Blackhawk.html

Edited by Barek Halfhand

It's almost like it has been forgotten :\

I think thats what Church-'s' and State have in mind Kaylee. They wanted/want it all swept under the rug so to speak.

One of the reasons is theres well over a $Billion law suit pending & the Churches don't want to pay their outstanding *well overdue bills.

edit: *well overdue.

Edited by REBEL

This is no conspiracy against Church or Government...all this stuff is common knowledge.

As dixie pixie stated above, mainstream media don't want to know or hear about the plight of the Native Americans.

linked-image

linked-imageHIDDEN FROM HISTORY

The Canadian Holocaust...(extracts only, full story on web page...''note the years when all this took place.'')

linked-imageUnlike post-war Germans, Canadians have yet to acknowledge, let alone repent from, the genocide that we inflicted on millions of conquered people: the aboriginal men, women and children who were deliberately exterminated by our racially supremacist churches and state.

linked-imageSuch experiments and the sheer brutality of the harm regularly inflicted on children in the schools attest to the institutional view of aboriginals as "expendable" and "diseased" beings. Scores of survivors of 10 different residential schools in BC and Ontario have described under oath the following tortures inflicted on them and other children as young as five years old between the years 1922 and 1984:

* tightening fish twine and wire around boys' penises;

* sticking needles into their hands, cheeks, tongues, ears and penises;

* holding them over open graves and threatening to bury them alive;

* forcing them to eat maggot-filled and regurgitated food;

* telling them their parents were dead and that they were about to be killed;

* stripping them naked in front of the assembled school and verbally and sexually degrading them;

* forcing them to stand upright for more than 12 hours at a time until they collapsed;

* immersing them in ice water;

* forcing them to sleep outside in winter;

* ripping the hair from their heads;

* repeatedly smashing their heads against concrete or wooden surfaces;

* daily beating without warning, using whips, sticks, horse harnesses, studded metal straps, pool cues and iron pipes;

* extracting gold teeth from their mouths without painkillers;

* confining them in unventilated closets without food or water for days;

* regularly applying electric shocks to their heads, genitals and limbs.

Perhaps the clearest summary of the nature and purpose of such sadism are the words of Bill Seward of Nanaimo, a survivor of the Kuper Island school:

The church people were worshipping the devil, not us. They wanted the gold, the coal, the land we occupied. So they terrorised us into giving it to them. How does a man who was raped every day when he was seven make anything out of his life? The residential schools were set up to destroy our lives, and they succeeded. The whites were terrorists, pure and simple. (Testimony of Bill Seward to Kevin Annett and IHRAAM observers, Duncan, BC, August 13, 1998)

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/canada.html

linked-image

linked-imagelinked-image

Edited by REBEL

Little off topic i know. I followed a few links off the NA sites( Ancient cultures & star beings) and & found these quotes on extra solar life by scientists, leading aerodynamicists, Astronauts & even past presidents that may have let it slip a little lol ...

Hey, i try to keep an 'open mind'...most times. :D

linked-image

''Off the Ancient Cultures & Star Beings'' links.

Famous Quotes about UFO's:

"We must insist upon full access to disks recovered. For instance, in the La case the Army grabbed it and would not let us have it for cursory examination."

--J Edgar Hoover

"Of course it is possible that UFO's really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the Government is hushing it up." --Professor Stephen Hawking

"I am convinced that these ojects do exist and that they are not manufactured by any nations on earth"

--Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding (Commander-in-chief, Royal Air Force Fighter Command) (3) An outpouring of UFO reports which forces response in high places, particularly when unknowns virtually blitzed the U.S. capitol in Washington, D.C. An Air Force intelligence analysis also concluded that UFOs were interplanetary spaceships. (1952)

"The UFO phenomenon being reported is something real and not visionary or fictitious"--General Nathan Twining Chairman, Joint chiefs of staff, 1955-1958

"Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist. In the vastness of the Universe we are not alone." --The Bible According to Albert Einstein (think Albi was trying to tell us something) lol

"The US Airforce assures me that UFO's pose no threat to National Security.." --President John F Kennedy :huh:

"We have contact with alien cultures." --Astronaut Dr. Brian O'leary

"The phenomenon of UFOs does exist, and it must be treated seriously." --Mikhail Gorbachev

"I'm not at liberty to discuss the governments knowledge of extraterrestrial UFO's at this time. I am still personally being briefed on the subject!"

--President Richard M. Nixon ......oops :huh:

''We all know that UFOs are real. All we need to ask is where do they come from, and what do they want?"--Apollo 14 Astronaut Capt. Edgar Mitchell

"UFO sightings are now so common, the military doesn't have time to worry about them - so they screen them out. The major defense systems have UFO filters built into them, and when a UFO appears, they simply ignore it." --Lee Katchen (former atmospheric physicist with NASA)

Just a few of them, the rest... http://netscientia.com/ufo_quotes.html

linked-image

Rebel linked-image

It's well known that William Penn is a historical figure I admire a lot. He was honorable, fair and brilliant. He was also a Christian. Here's a story of his purchase of land from a native Delaware tribe, where the land was purchased fairly, and while Penn was alive, he insisted that while he'd purchased the land, it was to be shared with the Native Americans. Unfortunately, after Penn death, others swooped in and persecuted the Natives. Penn was a shrewed business man, but a fair one who insisted on living in peace, equality, and non-violence.

Tamanend was the chief of the Lenni Lenape tribe who made the first treaties with William Penn. Penn is remembered as a man of honor.

Edited by MissMelsWell

I think thats what Church-'s' and State have in mind Kaylee. They wanted/want it all swept under the rug so to speak.

One of the reasons is theres well over a $Billion law suit pending & the Churches don't want to pay their outstanding *well overdue bills.

edit: *well overdue.

Well I think there should be as much media attention to the dark history of this country as there is to slavery.

linked-image

Unfortunately MMW, for the NA's there were so few good men/women around like him & the ones that did speak out were tagged, gagged & bagged who saw the NA's for who they really were & what they were all about.

linked-image

Yea, i hear ya Kaylee, and as the years roll on less & less people want to hear and or know about the plight of the NA's. It almost seems as though their spiritual/cultural identity is being lost/forgotten more & more with each passing generation until it's no more than just part of written history i guess.

Later.

linked-imagelinked-image

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

Edit: this clip sums up a little of their plight...

Edited by REBEL

What's all this stuff about native americans beings such wonderful stewards of the environment? Doesn't anyone realize that there were no horses in America when the Spanish arrived becaused the natives EXTERMINATED all of them. Archaeology has shown where native americans terrified whole herds of wild horses off of cliffs so they could eat a mere handful and the rest died. It took Europeans to teach them that you could do more with a horse than kill and eat it.

There is good evidence that the Native Americans themselves were on the verge of exterminating the buffalo once horses and firearms were introduced to them. They had no concept of "conservation" and would have exterminated the buffalo as surely as they did the native horses previously.

And what is this fantasy Native American love affair with the wolf. Most of them hated wolves at their competitors and killed them every change they got. And they loved thos eagle feather headresses too, and do you think they just picked shed feather off the ground. No, they killed every eagle they could find. I think the only thing many tribes didn't kill were snakes, becasue they believed they reincanated into serpents and didn't want to kill their ancestors.

A favorite trade good after guns were axes, for now the natives could simply cut the trees down to get the nuts, rather than let them fall, or climb up to get them.

Most Native American cultures were based on a lifestyle of savage, never-ending warfare with other clan and tribes. There are countless peoples we know almost nothing about because the native americans sought to utterly exterminate their rivals. European colonization brought an end to this otherwise ceaseless cycle of enslavement, mindless slaughter, and often cannibalism. Welcome to the "real world" of the native americans.

Edited by draconic chronicler

What's all this stuff about native americans beings such wonderful stewards of the environment? Doesn't anyone realize that there were no horses in America when the Spanish arrived becaused the natives EXTERMINATED all of them. Archaeology has shown where native americans terrified whole herds of wild horses off of cliffs so they could eat a mere handful and the rest died. It took Europeans to teach them that you could do more with a horse than kill and eat it.
okay they needed to refine their buffalo herding skills...

There is good evidence that the Native Americans themselves were on the verge of exterminating the buffalo once horses and firearms were introduced to them. They had no concept of "conservation" and would have exterminated the buffalo as surely as they did the native horses previously.
so good thing we almost beat them to it...

And what is this fantasy Native American love affair with the wolf. Most of them hated wolves at their competitors and killed them every change they got. And they loved thos eagle feather headresses too, and do you think they just picked shed feather off the ground. No, they killed every eagle they could find. I think the only thing many tribes didn't kill were snakes, becasue they believed they reincanated into serpents and didn't want to kill their ancestors
thats new to me BUT I am far from an expert.....

Most Native American cultures were based on a lifestyle of savage, never-ending warfare with other clan and tribes. There are countless peoples we know almost nothing about because the native americans sought to utterly exterminate their rivals. European colonization brought an end to this otherwise ceaseless cycle of enslavement, mindless slaughter, and often cannibalism. Welcome to the "real world" of the native americans

so we came here and saved them from their wicked ways...AND we are talking about a semi erased culture, you are picking out old practices .....

MR HALFHAND

Edited by Barek Halfhand

Unfortunately DC has some valid points.

There is some truth that some native tribes didn't like the Wolf and thought of the Wolf as "evil" I suppose. In many stories, the wolf is the "trickster" and this seems to be the case from coast to coast. Now it's not always true that the wolf is seen as a "bad guy" but in many instances he is.

Here in the northwest, most of the tribes here revered the Eagle (and we have a lot of eagles in this area even today) and weren't prone to making headdresses at all or hunting the raptor. Our naives in this area were more prone to hunting sea creatures, like whales. Even today the Makah tribe has an anual Whale hunt. There's always an outrage and uproar over this practice. They do use the "old fashioned" harpoons and canoes, and I don't think they've managed a kill yet (although I could be wrong), but I know they've wounded a couple of gray whales.

Additionally, Washington is known for it's salmon runs. It is illegal for conservation reasons to drift net for salmon in this state. Unfortunately, this law does not apply to the Native Americans and they merrily drift net many of the salmon runs and it's been done to the point of near extinction of a few species on the Columbia river. I know salmon and steelhead sport fisherman that have cut indian drift nets in an effort to help save the salmon runs.

The indians in the PNW were notoriously peace loving and the caucasians who came to WA were by an large undisturbed by the natives and vice versa. I can't think of a single war story among the tribes or with the "white" man up here. My guess has always been that the PNW indians were decended from the Alaskan/Siberian/Monguls who were more interested in survival against mother nature due to the crazy weather here and worried less about warring against each other and more about surviving the wrath of nature. On the other hand, it stands to reason that the Plains and southern indians were probably decended out of So. American and central American areas which have historically been warlike (see aztec, inca, mayans). I could be completely off base, but that's always been my guess.