Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why you should "Ching" your world

UM-Bot

Image credit: stockxpert
Image credit: stockxpert
Ken Korczak: Let’s say that you are considering taking on a new lover. Will this be a good decision for you? Will the result be wonderful, or a disaster? Maybe you are thinking about dumping your boyfriend or girlfriend. A good idea? Wouldn’t it be great if you could know for sure? Or let’s say you are considering investing your life savings in a new business venture. Will it pay off big, or will you end up losing everything and ruining your life? Or how about this: You are contemplating switching over from PC to Mac. Will this be a good decision, or will you end up regretting it? Well, wouldn’t it be great if you could tap into a source of proven ancient wisdom that would help you get just the right answer for tough questions like these, and prevent you from making a serious mistake? And what if this ancient source of wisdom was more than 3,000 years old, had a proven mathematical theory to back it up, and is regarded by some of the most brilliant people of all time to be a true and accurate oracle system?

Well, there is such an oracle system. It is the "I Ching," pronounced “e-ching.” The I Ching, or “The Ching” as I like to call it, was developed by ancient Chinese thinkers and philosophers, and painstakingly refined over many centuries. Today, many top mathematicians, scientists and physicists consider The Ching to be a valid system of prediction which anyone can use to make good decisions, and also to explore the deep inner nature of the one’s own subconscious mind.

The Ching has been around for millennia, but had a sudden resurgence in popularity in the United States during the 1960s when a “consciousness revolution” was sparked by that whole “hippy era thing.” The 1960s saw the birth of what would later become the “New Age” movement, which dared to challenge conservative, conventional wisdom by taking a new look at the very old, such as the I Ching, and the very new, such as the astounding implications of quantum physics.

The I Ching became so popular in the 1960s, especially in California, there were groups of people who were called “Ching Freaks” because they based just about every decision they made, big or small, by consulting the advice of The Ching. In fact, some people became so adept at using The Ching, they could do so by reading numbers on the license plates of cars as they passed by. License plate numbers provide an excellent platform for “Throwing The Ching” because The Ching works by pulling order out of randomness and chaos. To make The Ching work, you need a random number generator -- and that can be anything from tossing coins, or throwing a collection of yarrow sticks, as did the ancient Chinese. This is where the term “throwing The Ching” comes from -- because coins or sticks are thrown or tossed to generate random numbers. The numbers that are generated are used to match up with a series of hexagrams which match poetic writings in “The Book of Changes,” which is actually what I Ching stands for. These poetic stanzas will be your advice, which then must be interpreted to supply the answer to your questions.

Even the great science fiction writer Philip K. Dick -- whose works were made into such movies as “Blade Runner,” “A Scanner Darkly” and “Total Recall,” used The Ching to write his first successful novel, “The Man in the High Castle.” As far as I know, this is the only book ever written by relying completely on the advice of The Ching.

Anyway, the popularity of The Ching has since faded, but like all ancient systems that have been around for thousands of years, that hardly matters. The Ching is timeless, and is available today for anyone to pick up and use any time he or she wants to. If you so desire, you could start consulting The Ching today to help you make your most vital decisions. Not only would you make better decisions, but you would also discover that you would be opening a window that peers deeply into your own subconscious mind. The result would be that you would “know thyself” better. Since self wisdom is an extremely important component of personal growth and development. Thus, it makes good sense for you to learn to use The Ching, and see where it leads you.

So how does it work? As I said, The Ching works by using a system to generate random numbers -- but I will not going into details here because it would take many pages to describe the best way, and the many ways to “throw The Ching.” What I do want to tell you is that the most statistically valid way to do it is through use of a good computer program for generating random numbers. A computer program can generate literally millions or billions of random numbers instantaneously, while the old method of tossing coins or sticks provides for only a small sample of random numbers. The more random numbers you can generate, the more refined your eventual answer will be.

Here is a link to what I consider a scientific, easy and excellent way to consult the I Ching:

http://www.homebrew.net/ching

On this site, you don’t have to worry about all the numbers, or learn anything about how The Ching generates your answers. Just type in your question and get your answer! It’s easy! Try it! But now a warning: What many of you may find difficult is interpreting what The Ching tells you. For example, here is a question I posed to The Ching while writing this article:

“Will the readers at Unexplained Mysteries appreciate this article I am writing about the I Ching?”

And here is the judgment The Ching provided:

The Gentle. Success through what is small.
It furthers one to have somewhere to go.
It furthers one to see the great man.

I interpret this answer as basically a “yes” to my question -- but notice that The Ching also provides further advice. It suggests that it would “further” me to “see the great man.” I interpret this to mean that, since I am not a complete expert on The Ching, I should probably consult an expert -- a great man -- for advice on how to make sure this article is as accurate as possible. Anyway, The Ching has given me excellent guidance here, I believe. Let me try another question:

“Should I bring my wife with me on my business trip to New York City next week?”

The Ching says:

Following has supreme success.
Perseverance furthers. No blame.

I interpret this as a solid yes. Notice the amazing and tantalizing ability of The Ching to give advice that is highly pertinent to my specific situation. “Following has supreme success.” I interpret this to mean that letting my wife “follow” me to New York is a good idea. And: “Perseverance furthers. No blame.” I interpret this to mean that as long as I pursue my business meeting with perseverance, there will be no problem -- “no blame” -- if my wife tags along for the ride.

Now let me ask The Ching a more provocative question:

"My brother is drinking too much, stays out all night partying, and then sleeps all day. Should I go over to his place and kick his ass?"

The Ching says:

The Taming Power of the Great.
Perseverance furthers.
Not eating at home brings good fortune.
It furthers one to cross the great water.

I interpret this to mean that I should indeed go over to my brother's house and give him a good ass-kicking. "The taming power of the great" says to me that my brother needs to be "tamed" and that I should "persevere" in this action. The "not eating at home" is also significant. That says to me that a disciplined lifestyle of not over-indulging in substances is a good thing, and my brother should be made to realize this. Of course, the "crossing the great water" is more than obvious to me --you see, my brother lives on the other side of a lake here in Minnesota, the Land of 10,000 Lakes. That's amazing, isn't it?

I firmly believe it is time for everyone to take a new look at The Ching now more than ever. Why? Because of what scientists have recently learned about the fundamental matrix of the universe, including such things as chaos theory, the incompleteness theorem as predicted by quantum physics, and the existence of the “Zero Point Field,” which is the fundamental system of pure energy potential which underlies all life, matter and energy in the universe. The Zero Point Field is the ultimate “ocean” of pure potential and random energy which is there waiting for us to create from and draw order from -- and using The Ching seems an almost perfect tool for helping our reality-creating minds to make the best decisions possible, and thus create the most positive and appealing world for ourselves to live, work and play in.

I could go into further detail about how some of the latest and most exciting discoveries of quantum mechanics support the efficacy of The Ching, and why and how it works, but perhaps that will make up a whole other column. I should also remind the reader that I have only barely touched on explaining what The Ching is -- to gain a more complete understanding of The Ching and how to use it, you’ll find no shortage of resources on the Internet or library to help you gain a greater understanding of this ancient and powerful tool. You have nothing and lose and everything to gain by learning to "Ching your world." So why not try it today?

Ken invites you to visit his blog: http://www.ironghost.wordpress.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Please Explain

• IronGhost

• FrankBlunt

• UM-Bot

Gee, I wonder what the "I Ching" would say if I asked it

"Should I take my pet boa constrictor on the plane the next time I go on a trip?" hmmmm.....I'll have to ask it. :ph34r:^_^

linked-image

that website is pretty pants, i asked the same question a few times and it came up with different answers each time, so it randomly answers! which is crap!

that website is pretty pants, i asked the same question a few times and it came up with different answers each time, so it randomly answers! which is crap!

The whole nature of the Ching depends on it being random -- this is not a weakeness, this is its strength. Whether you "throw the Ching" using an Internet site, or the old fashioned way by tossing coins or throwing yarrow sticks, you will get a different answers the same question every time you repeat the process.

But the whole point is to ask a question and get an answer. If you want to keep asking the same question and getting different answers, it's then up to you engage your own mind and interpret the information that is flowing your way.

That's one of the truly great things about the Ching -- it requires you to supply the missing piece of the puzzle to your own answer.

The Ching is an ACTIVE oracle, not a PASSIVE oracle.

If you go to a psychic or, say, A tarot card reader, that person will tell you your fortune -- basically dictate an answer to you -- without requiring you to look deeply into yourself and help shape your own reality.

But the Ching in different -- the Ching is designed to give you a starting point that is a doorway first into your own mind, subconscious mind and sense of intuition -- and that latter realm connects with the further realm of all information existent within the Universe.

It's probably easier to understand the Ching if you understand Choas Theory, and how organized form and information can spring out of total randomness -- but it's not neccessary to be an expert in Chaos theory or statistics. If one opens up one's mind to what the Ching tells you -- it's a starting point that leads into deeper levels of the Self -- and if we can believe that the Self is innately connected to the Universe through an exchange of information, then the Ching is an amazingly simple and clever tool that is of real value, and can give you excellent information.

So, getting a different answer every time is not the point, and does not detract from the power of the Ching. The Ching is the Ching, and one can either listen to it, or not.

Edited by IronGhost

I think the coolest part of it is interpretation of the judgments.

If nothing else then it allows you to examine your issues more and thus make better decisions.

I like it. :tu:

I asked Mr. Ching this question.

Will I be banned on UM?

This is the answer.

24. Fu / Return (The Turning Point)

---- ----

---- ---- above K'un The Receptive, Earth

---- ----

---- ----

---- ---- below Ch^en The Arousing, Thunder

----------

The Judgement

Return. Success.

Going out and coming in without error.

Friends come without blame.

To and fro goes the way.

On the seventh day comes return.

The Image

Thunder within the earth:

The image of the Turning Point.

Thus the kings of antiquity closed the passes

At the time of solstice.

Merchants and strangers did not go about,

And the ruler

Did not travel through the provinces.

The Lines

Six in the fourth place means:

Walking in the midst of others,

One returns alone.

Six at the top means:

Missing the return. Misfortune.

Misfortune from within and without.

If armies are set marching in this way,

One will in the end suffer a great defeat,

Disastrous for the ruler of the country.

For ten years

It will not be possible to attack again.

21. Shih Ho / Biting Through

----------

---- ---- above Li The Clinging, Flame

----------

---- ----

---- ---- below Ch^en The Arousing, Thunder

----------

The Judgement

Biting Through has success.

It is favorable to let justice be administered.

The Image

Thunder and lightning:

The image of Biting Through.

Thus the kings of former times made firm the laws

Through clearly defined penalties.

I would be interested in knowing how you, Please Explain, personally intrepret these results, since your question is unique to you and your mind and position in the Universe, and The Ching has spoken to you.

But I see your answer as highly significant and pertinent to your question in many ways. Consider the Judgement:

Return. Success.

Going out and coming in without error.

Friends come without blame.

To and fro goes the way.

On the seventh day comes return.

Those of us who participate in the forum of UM "come and go" from the forum all the time. If you come in and go out "without error" as the Ching suggests, you will not get banned. What is "error" in this case"-- the violating of UM forum rules. Thus, if you get real nasty and start flaming people, the mods may boot you off -- but if you, as the Ching says "come without blame" you will not be kicked off and have "success."

I like where the Ching says "To and fro goes the way." The debates and discussions on UM certainly go to and fro between different opinions of different people -- also, people come and go from the forum all the time.

I also like where the Ching says: "It furthers one to have somewhere to go."

Having this forum to "go to" is an excellent place to learn a lot, sharpen your mind when you get involved in debates and discussions with others -- speaking for myself, I like going to UM because I think it "furthers me."

In the secondary judgement, it says:

Thus the kings of former times made firm the laws

Through clearly defined penalties.

The owners of this forum "the kings" have clearly defined guidelines which grant us the privilege for coming here -- thought you may get booted off if you violate UM's "clearly defined penalties."

THE CHING NAILS IT AGAIN!

You know, my question is only a joke but the answer seems...hmmm

i think there is something in here. I have to decipher that word.

But I see your answer as highly significant and pertinent to your question in many ways.

That's the reason i've posted it, all the answer seems relevant to my postings.

It's okay if you only intended a joke. The Ching is indifferent to one's intention. Your intention belongs to you. The Ching will reflect whatever it is shown. When you ask a question with whatever motivation, you'll get an answer, and a starting point for further exploration ...

So I think this has been an interesting experiment ....

So I think this has been an interesting experiment ....

Maybe real experiment...at least i have followed my Ching.

It's better for me to lose than to hurt someone.

The Image

Thunder within the earth:

The image of the Turning Point.

Thus the kings of antiquity closed the passes

At the time of solstice.

The Ching strikes again on UM.

• 6 months later...
The Ching strikes again on UM.

Sometimes it is perceived foolishness that imparts latent wisdom to the watchful masses, wrapped in a perceivably foolish package.

Why is it that the hippie era, that began in 1967, have so much relation to the woman who first triggered my recognition of synchronicity?

Why do we remember the hippie movement that came to San Francisco for the drugs, debauchery, and flowered hair, and not those who initiated the cross-country sojourn in the first place? Media, manipulation, distraction from hidden truths in favor of the satisfaction of base urges. Same old story, told many times in many locales, by those who would prefer focusing upon stereotypes as opposed to truth seeking and ideas.

Why is it that the aforementioned woman is a Scorpio, I am a Scorpio, and P.E. spoke of being a "Scorpion". P.E. may have been fibbing, but potential deceptions have merit in synchronicity, too. I treat P.E. as one telling me the truth and serving the greater good until he admits to telling falsehoods. Then I look within myself (ourself) to see what I can learn from what he (we) has (have) done in the interest of the greater good. Our path to oneness. :)

For an example of a supposed, lie-based synch, if I told someone that the circus was coming to town in a joking manner, in response to some folks wearing excessive goth-style make-up, and a PT Barnum animal train crossed my path behind my line of sight, would this not still be synchronous?

Text erased because UM member addressed saw it without me posting it publicly.

Why have I met so many women here who are Geminis, when the woman mentioned above, born in 1967, gave birth to twins? Does the fact that I was inspired to write so many poems for her have any relevance to the trigger of my willingness and ability to recognize patterns? Why does the other woman who worked in the office with us, for whom I also wrote a great deal of poetry, have a last name the same as one of the twins? The name is not representative of those in the majority of her culture. Why was she also born in the perceived span of time we call 1967?

Why have people been trying to run me over with their cars, people I've never seen or had conversations with in this perceived reality, my entire life? Why are the incidents suddenly skyrocketing in frequency? This is not a cry for help, because I'm ready to join the possums and skunks in the back of the courtesy patrol truck on roadkill recovery day.

How do these events relate to one another? Let's explore the hippie era further and never mind what you may believe of what I've contributed above. Let's not be so quick to apply convenient labels to inspiration, and maybe we can invite someone who was part of the original movement. Does this sound plausible or intriguing to anyone else?