Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Otherkin - Real or mental?

BlueMoods

OK the more or less clinical definition is: Otherkin is a subculture made up of people who consider themselves non-human or having a connection to a mythical archetype in some way, usually believing to be mythological or legendary creatures.[1][2] The otherkin community grew out of the elven online community of the early-to-mid-1990s, with the earliest recorded use of the term otherkin appearing in early 1996.[3] Outside of their own subculture, otherkin beliefs are often met with controversy.[4] According to diagnosis criteria put forth by mental health professionals, the belief that one is an animal or can be turned into an animal is termed clinical lycanthropy[5], a delusion of varying severity and significance.

Per Wikipedia

Types of Otherkin include:

Therian - animal kin such as wolf, fox, feline

Dragon

Elf

Fae or Faerie

Angel

Demon

Phoenix - the mythical bird

Questionably

Shadow kin - maybe a different view of demon

Vampire - true vampires do have physical aspects as well as spiritual and mental.

Lycan - some claim minor wolf like physical attributes

Some claim to take the form of thier otherkin when they astral project - a common skill in thier communities, many work to learn it. Some claim to be multi-kin ie dragon/vampire.

To my mind being otherkin, save clinical lycanthropes (a mental illness), is simply a spiritual matter or a unique way to describe your personality in terms of the traits f another type of being or animal. What do you think - is it more than that?

Otherkin is a subculture made up of people who consider themselves non-human or having a connection to a mythical archetype in some way, usually believing to be mythological or legendary creatures.

Sounds like make believe to me. At the very least it indicates a disatisfaction with their human status; at worst, a type of pyschosis.

Many pyschotics profess feeling an alienation to other humans, oftentimes manifesting as a form of superiority conplex in which humans are beneath the subjects worth, thereby justifying the horrible deeds done to the victims.

• Like 1

I think some people just want to be "different" or "special". I find a lot of people who think like that tend to not get a long well with others due to being picked on, so I believe they soon tend to believe that this must be so because they are either better or different than most humans. Hence the fact that they start to live in there fantasy world. The internet just tends to reinforce this belief with group forums and stuff. <_<

I would have to say its mental. The fact that it only came about in society in the early nineties is one point to look at to. Most of these types of clics ended up coming about when fantasy movies and ect. came about in the 70's and 80's. Until they have any physical attributes aside from plastic surgery or deformity, I'll say its mental.

OMG....Does this mean that when my hubby calls me , "hey foxy lady", he's actually saying, 'hey you lunatic' ??... :unsure2:<_<:(

OMG....Does this mean that when my hubby calls me , "hey foxy lady", he's actually saying, 'hey you lunatic' ??... :unsure2:<_<:(

Hey, as long as he doesn't really wish that you were an actual fox (same for you) then I think you guys are ok :D

Once "fur suits" start coming up in conversations then it might be time to worry :P

• Like 1

Hey, as long as he doesn't really wish that you were an actual fox (same for you) then I think you guys are ok :D

Once "fur suits" start coming up in conversations then it might be time to worry :P

Speaking of "fur suits", we went to this costume place once where..........*thinking twice about it*.......nevermind.. ;)

Even on a paranormal forum, there are enough "normal" people to consider Otherkin ... odd. Hmm.

• 6 years later...

i literally only just heard of this and thought i would search the forum to see if anyone has posted about "otherkin" low and behold .. i end up here... so hello everyone :yes:

anyway i dont really know much about this other kin business but i think i agree with

I think some people just want to be "different" or "special". disgust.gif

i think its interesting, and even if people want to believe this then i think its fine.... this world is about free will after all. I would like it to be true because i do liken people i meet to animal characteristics on occassion.

im not disregarding it... but i am just plain ol' human.

:clap: