Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moving Day

SpaceyKC

Here is my story (I hope it gets through,  every time I start it,  I get knocked off line! I know,  story of my (pc) life!)

I had planned on helping some friends of mine move last Saturday (which was forecasted for sunny until the evening,  but we would be done by then,  so no problem.)  But the truck rental company called and said we would have to take a truck that Friday evening,  so we quickly got the truck to their former place and loaded up. The weather was fine until we began our trip to the new (to them) place.  The clouds seemed to just show up and became darker and more ominous as we drove.  We were able to just bring up (it was on the 2nd floor) their mattresses and couch  before the storm broke wide open!  

I need to interject a bit of history about the place.  It is a two story brick house,  at least 100+ years old.  The former owner was a nice lady of 94 years when she recently passed away.  The new owners are a young couple who live on the 1st floor,  and while leaving a lot of the decor with the house and surroundings because of their charming past,  they have made sure to rewire the entire house and of course all new fixtures (like lights,  bulbs,  etc).  

Anyway,  since we were stuck there in the apt.  while the rain came down in buckets,  I had joked about sitting on the floor and telling ghost stories.  As we stood looking out the window,  wondering if it would ever even let up a little,  the overhead light (THE ONLY ONE IN THE LIVING ROOM) went out!  We each in turn confessed to not playing tricks and hitting the switch,  then I tried the switch...no light.  After discussing the slim possibliity of new wiring being at fault,  the rain suddenly stopped.   Well, needless to say,  we hurried back down to the truck and started bringing stuff back up the back stairs,  when the back porch light went out!  There are two ways up to the 2nd floor,  since this way is now in total darkness,  we went around to the front of the house to the inside stairs.  One of my friends went through the house to meet us at the entrance and hold the door open.  As we rounded the corner,  she yelled out that she couldn't get the front light to come on - it had apparently burned out too!    And of course, the rain started up again at that moment,  so the rest of the stuff went into the garage until the next day.

At first I was glad to be the one leaving there,  but really I think if there's mischief being played by spirits,  I think it is harmless.  I haven't heard any more from them as far as unexplained events goes,  but my friends are not the kind of people who take to that kind of goings on.  Perhaps next time I'm there,  I will be more tuned in,  or maybe it's my presence that brings out the strange events!   Guess I'll find out!  :s02

(BTW,  I wrote this story,  then copied & pasted it,  so I wouldn't get cut off)   :sr    ;D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpaceyKC

• Kira

• Homer

• Loonboy

Top Posters In This Topic

[blue]

It will be intersesting to see how this develops. You should chronicle the events for us, KC.

A lot of paranormal activity in regards to ghosts/spirits includes electrical interference. It's possible.

On the other hand, the wiring might be new, but someone has just fiddled with it (installed it) and there may be a fault in the system which is to blame.

Spooky.

[/blue] :s09

:o hmmm keep us updated KC

I'm of the opinion that maybe the spirtits of the house were seeing how far they could push the tenants

ala:Beetlejuice ;D

As Loonboy said the first thing to rule out is that the wiring isn't at fault - it was raining after all, if rain got into the wiring then that sort of thing could happen.

Please keep us posted - it might be worthwhile going back with a camera!

Good thoughts all around!

Especially with the camera, PS,  but I will take two different kinds,  just to be sure!  :s1

I wonder if the new owners have witnessed anything peculiar. But just like LB stated, it could be faulty wiring. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it was installed correctly. That would be the first thing I would check.

True, I gave this thread to my partner to read. He's an electrician by trade. He doesn't believe in ghosts, witches etc,  :s9

any way the 1st thing he said was did the check the wiring.............. :s6

Homer,  what I wonder about is,  if they had seen anything,  would they tell a perspective tenant?  I doubt it!  Certainly not good for business.  :s1

CW,  that's probably what caused the outages,  but what cool story is there to tell, about 'faulty wiring'?   Maybe at the electricians' convention!  "Yeah, man,  everybody at the house was real spooked.  So I came over and found it was just a loose wire!"   ;D

I am still sceptical about it being the wiring.  I'm sure there are many other lights connected to the same wiring.  And NO OTHER lights were affected - like in the adjacent apartment,  or the owners' apartment (which is the entire 1st floor).  Even if all the outside lights were connected,  why didn't the one over the outside of the garage go out too?  And the front and back may have gone out at the same time,  but the living room light went first (by itself).  So,  there are many questions I am most anxious to ask (but I have to make sure my skittish friend is not present!)  Wish me luck!  This could become the forum's own unsolved mystery!!  :sj

[blue]

Maybe you could get one of those electro-magnetic sensors that they always have on paranormal programmes. Don't know if they're hard to come by though. Lol.

[/blue] ???

One thing for sure i would have recommended is just changing the bulbs. If it was faulty wiring.... new bulbs wouldn't have done anything and just turned off. Maybe the ghost blew the bulbs out and maybe not. But just checking those alone would help alot. Then abviously all the wiring.

I have to add that (later that night) one bulb was changed in the living room. This was done without checking the old bulb - they were in a hurry to have light in there. (getting spooked maybe?)  The other lights worked the next day,  after they had taken the issue up with the owners.  This weekend I stopped by and asked if I could take some pictures,  but (suddenly) my digital camera stopped working (it froze,  like my pc does!).  Figuring I had low batteries,  I gave up and came home.  When I turned the camera on again,  it worked fine!  BUT...then the batteries did start to weaken.   I wish I'd remembered to bring two kinds of cameras,  to see if something would happen to both of them!  I'm not giving up!!  ;D

hmmm definatly keep us posted then KC