Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bunyip in 80's cartoon

HAJiME

I grew up with a lot of Australian input, because since i was abotu 5 my sister has been in Australia. With both a facination in animation in general and Aussie wildlife, my mum tapped a series of Australian animations off the tv. The series film "Dot and the Kangaroo" is the main film of the series. It's a truly magical, slightly unsettling film, about a Kangaroo who looses her child and a lost girl in the Australian outback. The film is classic animation over real settings, giving it a really errie feel. If you like 80's animation of any kind, i strongly suggest trying to get hold of it.

And, i discovered that one of my favourite songs from the movie is on youtube. The Bunyip features in the movie briefly and is how i learnt of the cryptid. So i thought i'd share this with you. :)

EDIT: Whilst i'm here, does anyone know where i can find true Aboriginal drawing examples of the bunyip?

Edited by HAJiME

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• kenshinx

• coldethyl

• ~Onyx~

Kinda eerie, the song with the background. Certainly wants to get me to learn more about Australian culture.

Dot and the Kangaroo!!! I loved that movie.. it was one of my favorites. XD

Very good find!!

*shudder*

I remember that part very clearly. Gave me bloomin' nightmares it did.

The bunyips going to get you!

Dude I remember that flick! I loved it when I was a kid, I could never remember the name, though. That totally rocks! :tu:

*shudder*

I remember that part very clearly. Gave me bloomin' nightmares it did.

The bunyips going to get you!

XD well glad I wasn't the only one to be frightened by that bit. Though for somereason, I remember it a bit differently. I guess maybe because the whole part leading up to that wasn't shown. >.<

Now I gotta go out and like.. find this movie and watch it again XD

I can remember actually making a reference to Dot and the Kangaroo on previous "Bunyip" threads, but nobody seemed to remember the cartoon......good show!!!

I had successfully repressed that until now.

I dinstinctly remember the nightmares I wound up having after seeing DOT AND THE KANGAROO. That particular song unnerved me so much, espcially the roar of the bunyip. I wouldn't doubt, though, that with the discovery of so many species of insect and animal (whether in caves or under the sea) that we are likely going to discover the bunyip still exists today. Again I have an open mind, I think anything is possible. It's why I have come here, new member that I am. I am so fascinated by things unexplained.

Ask your sister to send over a book called

The Bunyip of Berkeley Creek.

Every Aussie child reads that one :) Nice artwork too :)

I loved that movie!

There were more Dot movies.. My favourite one was Dot and the Bunny.

Theories on bunyips range from swimming dogs to seals that have strayed inland from the river systems.

An interesting fact is that in far west Queensland, a place called Lake Galilee, aboriginal cave paintings were found depicting a large, flippered water creature resembling a plesiosaur, and it is a spot at which a proportionally large number of white settlers Have dissapeared whilst fishing.

A "bunyip" skull was found on the shores of the Murrumbidgee in the 1800's, which was put on display in the Australian Museum. Unfortunately it was stolen and never actaully identified.

anyone have the lyric of that song (bunyip moon) ? my english is bad... i really like that song ! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are the lyrics to the song.

Bunyip Moon

Oh the Bunyip’s very bad

And the Bunyip’s very bold

And they tell you that the Bunyip’s

Now a thousand years old.

So you better come home quickly

And you better hide very soon

Or the Bunyip’s going to get you

In the Bunyip moon

The Bunyip’s not the animal

The Bunyip’s far too bird

The Bunyip makes the strangest sounds

That you’ve never even heard

In the Bunyip moon

The Bunyip’s always nasty

And the Bunyip’s very mean

It’s the most unpleasant monster

That you’ve never even seen

In the Bunyip moon

In the moon

In the moon

In the moon

the piano chords in that song are awesome...

that needs to be sampled/replayed for sure.

I used to loathe the Dot stories when I was a kid. Blinky Bill too.

Well...Robotech and transformers was on, who could blame me.

I remember Dot & the Kangeroo, i loved that and i liked the Bunyip. Always had a fascination for the less than likely.

There was another cartoon with similar animation about a boy crossing a desert. I remembered the boy developed an affiliation with a camel and a harminica but thats it. If anyone knows of that then could they let me know.

Back on topic. The Bunyip is one of the most amazing cryptids in my opinion because of the copious amount of conflicting tales regarding it.

That video was unsettlingly creepy.I won't be able to think of anything else all day :no:

Ask your sister to send over a book called

The Bunyip of Berkeley Creek.

Every Aussie child reads that one :) Nice artwork too :)

Love that book :wub:

I had successfully repressed that until now.

Me too!! I haven't seen this in years and it always creeped me out. I always loved the rest of the film, it's just that bit, it's the way he runs I think - the Bunyip's going to get you :passifier: