Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Darwin's "Forgotten" Partner Alfred Wallace

Swandancer

10 hours ago, Swede said:

Appeal to authority? How ironic.

That you find it ironic simply demonstrates you lack the ability to comprehend the logical fallacy of appeal to authority.. 

Edited by Lysippos

On 2/22/2018 at 5:53 AM, Lysippos said:

I am a trained historian and archaeologist,

You made this claim and pretty much everybody in this section knows who everybody else is.

My name is Richard Calumet Joseph I am the Historian for the Mickleton Friends (Quaker) Meeting and the former Native adviser for the Cumberland County Prehistory Museum and the various archaeologists involved with it and also the former cultural instructor/adviser and historian for the Nanticoke-Lenni Lenape Tribal Center.

Now who the Hell are you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

You made this claim and pretty much everybody in this section knows who everybody else is.

My name is Richard Calumet Joseph I am the Historian for the Mickleton Friends (Quaker) Meeting and the former Native adviser for the Cumberland County Prehistory Museum and the various archaeologists involved with it and also the former cultural instructor/adviser and historian for the Nanticoke-Lenni Lenape Tribal Center.

Now who the Hell are you?

It’s not a claim, it’s a fact.

Above is irrelevant and of no interest to me. If you wish to discuss something related to Archeaology or History, especially within the Classics, let me know. 

Given your anthropological experience, if you were to give an analysis of your above post/reaction, what would the outcome be?

Also do you often face issues with confirmatory bias? 

Edited by Lysippos

1 hour ago, Lysippos said:

It may or may not be a fact.  But it is definitely an unsubstantiated - and currently unsubstantiatable - claim.

btw I have a grade A 'O'Level in European Economic History.  But I have long since forgotten twice as much as I ever learned on that subject :D    Though I cannot prove it ....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lysippos said:

Above is irrelevant and of no interest to me. If you wish to discuss something related to Archeaology or History, especially within the Classics, let me know. 

Given your anthropological experience, if you were to give an analysis of your above post/reaction, what would the outcome be?

Also do you often face issues with confirmatory bias? 

It's a claim until it's proven .

Defensive when it comes to my friends. No analysis needed

When reconstructing the past through archaeology alone, It is all opinion and very bias.

Edited by Piney
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Lysippos said:

That you find it ironic simply demonstrates you lack the ability to comprehend the logical fallacy of appeal to authority.. 

Nobody is obligating you to be a dick. If you don't like the community, you have every ability to go somewhere the **** else, particularly if we're willing to share and demonstrate our qualifications and all you do is b**** and tell us how theoretically clever you are and not make any actual demonstration of your own training.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 4

On 2/24/2018 at 4:29 AM, Lysippos said:

Such a waste of laconic sarcasm on my part.

• Like 3

This is not exactly accurate. Wallace is agknowledge in most textbooks, although always as a secondary figure, never in paralel to Darwin. And they were not partners, they were independent scientists exploring the same concepts that ocasionally corresponded with each other. Physically they were a world appart. Darwin was in the UK and Wallace workinf in the field in Indonesia and New Guinea.

In the end, Darwin published his ideas first so history remembers him and not the guy who came second, as is often the case. Some say that the risk that Wallace would publish a theory of evolution by natural selection first was what prompted Darwin to finish his book as he greatly debated ever publishing his ideas because of the social termiil they would bring. He was an old ans sick family man at the time, he could avoid the controversy.

Still, Wallace probably does deserve more attention in the books.

• Like 1

2lika3d.jpg

• Like 3