Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Awesome Pictures Of A Cave Castle In Slovenia

Bone_Collector

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

Every castle in the world is unique in some way. No two are the same.

But this one - even though it's rather small and humble compared to some - is unique in more than one way. Probably the only one in the world, really integrated in a cave system - actually the second largest cave system in Slovenia.

Located 9km from Postojna (where another cave is located - world-famous Postojnska jama - one of the largest in the world).

Its name Predjamski grad literally means Castle in Front of the Cave. And the village in front of it is also named Predjama.

This castle wasn't built in one go. First written records exist from 13th century, though the first part (left wing) was probably built in the first half of 12th century. Middle part was added in renaissance, and the right wing was build around 1570. Some things were added and changed later, but since 1990 renovation work is in progress, restoring it to the original 16th century look.

A medieval knight's tournament is held each summer in front of the castle and it's really worth a visit (though it's quite crowded then - as far as I heard).

Castle changed quite a few owners, but probably the best known is notorious rogue knight Erasmus Lueger, aka Erazem Predjamski. In 15th century, when he lived, only the first part of the castle existed. And it more resembled a robber's den than a castle. Wasn't very large or comfortable - but virtually impregnable.

Erazem was once a guest of Austrian emperor Friederich III. When one of emperor's friends (or relatives, as some sources state) insulted one of Erazem's good friends, Erazem took the sword and killed him. For this, he was sentenced to death, but managed to escape and made it back to his stronghold.

Then he started attacking caravans, robbing whomever and whenever he seemed fit and generally acting as a major pain in emperor's behind. Therefore Triest's governor Ravbar was ordered to find and kill him.

Legend says that none of Ravbar's men knew where Erazem's stronghold is. So Erazem himself, cheeky as he was, put on a diguise and offered to lead them to it. Be as it may, as they found out the location, they laid the siege to the castle for months. When they froze their bums off in the middle of winter, Erazem allegedly catapulted a roasted ox from the castle and wished them good appetite.

Continued in next post ...

Edited by Bone_Collector

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bone_Collector

• Celumnaz

• Welsh Shaun

• Mabon

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

When spring arrived, Erazem started to send them freshly picked cherries. Ravbar was thoroughly puzzled by this. There were rumours among his men, that there was a sort of paradise land in the caves behind the castle, that yields all sorts of crop throughout the year...

Little did they know, that there's a passage through the cave, which exits on the other side of the hill. Probably this passage and the elaborate cave system were the main reason why the castle was built there in the first place.

Hence, though Ravbar received fruity gifts from Erazem, the siege itself proved fruitless - until the summer of 1484, when Ravbar managed to bribe one of Erazem's servants. This servant told him, that though castle's walls can easily withstand cannon fire, the walls of the outhouse (see note) are quite another matter. A well aimed cannonball could penetrate its wall and kill whomever is using it at the moment.

So, when Erazem was relieving himself, the servant gave Ravbar's men a signal and they fired at the outhouse. The cannonball passed thru and missed Erazem. But when it hit the back wall, an avalanche of rocks buried Erazem beneath it, ending his rebellion.

Legend says that Erazem is buried under a huge lime tree, beside the village church.

Here is the night view ...

linked-image

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yep! Like I said ... it's straight out of a fairy tale! :yes: WOW! That would be an awesome place to live!

Edited by Bone_Collector

Thats awesome, I love it.

Some brilliant pics Bone Collector, thanx.

Thank you Bone Collector for posting that! :tu: It is such a lovely place. It would be neat to visit! :)

Yes thank you for sharing this! Looks beautiful and kinda fun... wouldn't mind living there at all, even with the outhouse! :)

Wow, that is sooooo cool! Thanks! :tu::tu::tu:

For Harry Potter fans, can't you see Lucius Malfoy living here? Of course, enchanted so Muggles can't find it, though!

Oh how cool is that?! That is awsome too! Thanks for sharing.

Glad you all liked it. A couple of pics on here are my favourites! What an absolutely fantastic location to build a castle. The hill, the greenery and the village below seem to blend so well together. It looks so soothing and pretty.

Edited by Bone_Collector

The picture of the castle at night is real pretty :tu:

All the piccies are nice tho

One word > Magnificent!

Wow, absolutely breathtaking! I too love the night photos. Totally fun history too! Thanks for posting that one!

Wow, this is my first time to this section of the blog, and all ready I'm impressed. This is cool. I'd like to visit this place some day.

Well, I'm logging off now because there's nothing else on UM tonight that could top that! Time for bed, it's late and now I have pictures of castles in my head I will dream of being a Slovenian (?) princess in that enchanted-looking castle. What wonderful pictures you shared. Thank you.

Everybody say, Good Night Princess.... :P

Good night Princess! :lol:

What's with the near 20,000 views on this thread with only 15 replies :blink:? Lots of guests too. Wow! Looks like a new record LOL

Edited by Bone_Collector

You are right Straight from a fairy tale. So beautiful. I would love to live there. I to thank you for sharing. :yes: