Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The House of Faces

rhyknow

D: 1970s

L:Bélmez de la Moraleda, Andalusia, Spain

S:Andrew MacKenzie through John and Anne Spencer

There is a small home in Bélmez, Spain known commonly as the House of Faces that became known worldwide during the 1970s for an odd phenomenon. On 23 August, Mrs Maria Pereira saw a mark on the floor of her kitchen. Over a period of about a week, this mark slowly turned into a face. Many habitants of the village beleived Mrs. Pereira to be a medium, and therefore the cause of the marks.

Naturally, Mrs. Pereira and her husband were scared, and one of her sons, Miguel destroyed the image. Strangely enough; a few days later, another face began to form. This face was cut out of the floor and put on display.

When the damaged floor was repaired, another face appeared. Miguel destroyed this one as well, and began sharing his parent's fears.

Over the course of a year, several more faces appeared. Some disappeared in December, but new faces replaced them. The house had started to become a local tourist attraction, so much that the police had to hold back crowds.

In april of '72 Prof. De Argumosa came from Madrid to investigate the placen and pointed out that there had been a murder near or possibly in the house during the 17th Century, and also that the house was built on top of a cemetery... the claims were reinforced when they found human remains under the house.

From EVP, the Prof. gained recordings of what sounded like the voice of a child, and what he described as "a mixture between Hell and a Brothel".

On June 6th '72 another face appeared on the floor, and even seemed to change its expression. Other faces soon appeared around it.

Experiments were carried out, placing foil on the floor, but the faces appeared under the foil*.

The Prof. suggested that another kitchen be created so that he could study this one more carefully enough. But oddly enough, faces appeared in the replacement kitchen too.

On 3rd September 1981 José Martinez Romero arrived at the house, and described a turning point... He claimed to have seen many little faces appearing and disappearing in the kitchen at random. He admitted that this could have been a halluciation.

In 1988 Andew MacKenzie visited the house, and discovered that the colours and shapes of the faces were now less pronounced, and MacKenzie concluded that the state of the faces had something to do with Mrs Pereira's state of health. He beleived that the faces would "die" when she did.

It's worth noting that similar things have happened... People's faces being projected on walls, glass etc

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Barek Halfhand

• rhyknow

• coldethyl

• _Spawn_

Ah, The Faces of Belmez case! Somebody made a topic about this a long time ago. To me, the faces of Belmes is one of the creepiest things I've ever heard of. I'd love to visit that house and scare the crap out of myself. I wish I could find the site with all the EVP recording taken in that house! Anywho, I found a site with some pretty good pictures of the faces.

http://www.thecobrasnose.com/xxghost/belmez.html

I love this story. I read once that someone (could be the family) dug up the place and the faces were never seen again but I guess that was just the book's way of ending it quickly. Lazy writer <_<

hint to everyone..watch how quiet barek is now that there is GOOD stuff to read on the boards......B

:tu:

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I also love this story, I read about it when I was a little kid, and it kept fascinating me. I don't have an explanation for it though :mellow:

Oh good story. This is the first time I've never heard of it. :3 Thanks for sharing. Now I want to visit the house.

That's interesting. I don't see why anyone would move in, let alone build a house on top of a cemetery...

Heh yeah admittedly some of them DO look painted on lol But I think researchers ruled that out

the house.

On June 6th '72 another face appeared on the floor, and even seemed to change its expression. Other faces soon appeared around it.

Experiments were carried out, placing foil on the floor, but the faces appeared under the foil*.

The Prof. suggested that another kitchen be created so that he could study this one more carefully enough. But oddly enough, faces appeared in the replacement kitchen too.

On 3rd September 1981 José Martinez Romero arrived at the house, and described a turning point... He claimed to have seen many little faces appearing and disappearing in the kitchen at random. He admitted that this could have been a halluciation.

In 1988 Andew MacKenzie visited the house, and discovered that the colours and shapes of the faces were now less pronounced, and MacKenzie concluded that the state of the faces had something to do with Mrs Pereira's state of health. He beleived that the faces would "die" when she did.

It's worth noting that similar things have happened... People's faces being projected on walls, glass etc

I saw a TV special a while back featuring this story prominately, I distinctly remember there was alot of (professional) attempts to remove the face from the floor....just kept re-appearing....B

Edited by Barek Halfhand

You would think when they built the house. They would notice the ground being swellow or something. :/

Yeah but they had Poltergeist Syndrome. (as in the movie)

"We knew there was an indian burial ground on here, so we dug up the corpses, partially ate them and reburied them!"

-,-

Yeah but they had Poltergeist Syndrome. (as in the movie)

"We knew there was an indian burial ground on here, so we dug up the corpses, partially ate them and reburied them!"

-,-

saw a discovery channel docu-drama about that! here in the us in the late 1700 the pre salem era,(think) settlers would practice that horrific ritual...god who came up with THAT as the solution YUCK!.....B :unsure2:

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I'm just glad that it wasn't a typo in the title, as in 'The House of Feces'. Yuck.

scientists debunked the "paint" theory, that's why I'm so interested in this case. gimme a moment to come up with the link :)

no, they didnt rule out paint. the test they supposedly did, if you look in the wiki article, didnt tell what faces were tested, what part of the face, and they only tested like 5 chemicals, some of which arent even used in paint, and those that are used in paint, arent used in most paints.

Had never heard of this. Thanks to everyone for the links, I have looked at them all. If it is real, it is really fascinating.

how weird... I was looking through some of my books on the paranormal the other day and actually came across this very story. That's what happens when you build on top of a burial site!

That's interesting. I don't see why anyone would move in, let alone build a house on top of a cemetery...

Hehe!

I sit in such a house right now actually! Even dug up some skeletons myself when i was younger hehe :P

It's basically because they didn't care much about it way back when, so in Denmark alot of old cemetaries lying around the cities underground. No faces or anything going on here though :(

it is very weird, i read about these in a book a while ago, if that happened at our house i would freak out lol

Oh this is cool. I had never heard this story before. Good topic.

The Belmez phenomenon is one of the very few actual proofs that suggest the possibility of the existence of the paranormal world. Fascinating phenomenon there -one that investigators haven't been able to explain. The faces appear even today.

Edited by Bone_Collector

Ah, The Faces of Belmez case! Somebody made a topic about this a long time ago. To me, the faces of Belmes is one of the creepiest things I've ever heard of. I'd love to visit that house and scare the crap out of myself. I wish I could find the site with all the EVP recording taken in that house! Anywho, I found a site with some pretty good pictures of the faces.

http://www.thecobrasnose.com/xxghost/belmez.html

LOL!!! Freak .... looks like we share the same thought! :lol:

~*~