Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chat Room Users Counter Added

Saru

This morning I added a new feature to the 'Board Statistics' area on the forum board index, a simple counter that will show how many people are in the site's chat room. Up until now, the only way to find out how many people were in the chat room at any given moment was to enter the room yourself to find out.

The counter updates every five minutes, and will count every user who enters the chat room using the Java Applet. It will continue to count you as in the room so long as you remain logged in through the applet. It does not however count users who enter the room using mIRC, which is basically not possible, but since most users log in witht the java applet anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. At this point i'd advise anyone who uses mIRC to enter the chat, to either use the applet instead, or point your browser to the chat room page so that the counter is updated correctly.

The aim of the new counter is to help make the chat room more active, more often - if someone is in there, everyone else on the forum will be able to see that, and others will hopefully then join aswell. If you fancy a chat with someone, but nobody is in the room, simply join the room and someone else will most likely be along shortly.

As always, let me know if you come across any problems with the counter, and before anyone asks - 'Chanbot' doesn't get included in the user total.

thumbsup.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Kismit

• Mentalcase

• Althalus

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, it's always been a nigly little task of trying to find out if people are in the chat room and how many, this way we can now see without going there first, thanks *Saruman.

The aim of the new counter is to help make the chat room more active, more often - if someone is in there, everyone else on the forum will be able to see that, and others will hopefully then join aswell. If you fancy a chat with someone, but nobody is in the room, simply join the room and someone else will most likely be along shortly.

Good Idea SuRuMaN!!

Noticed it this morning Saruman , , it's a very nifty little add on .

Only me and that flirty little bot in there at the moment though rolleyes.gif

Does it only show how many people have entered in the last 5 minutes , because I know I'm not much of a person but it's not counting me at all .... sad.gif

Kismit,

Remember that if you're using mIRC, the counter won't count you unless your also have a browser window open on the chat room page.

thumbsup.gif

It doesn't matter which chat program your using, as long as you have a window open on the chat page then the counter will count you.