Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lunar eclipse wows sky watchers

UM-Bot

user posted image rSky watchers across the world have been enjoying the first total lunar eclipse in more than three years. The eclipse began at 2018 GMT, with the Moon totally immersed in the shadow of the Earth between 2244 and 2358 GMT. During "totality" the Moon took on a reddish hue; the only light reaching its surface by this stage had been filtered through Earth's atmosphere.

The eclipse was visible from the whole of Europe, Africa, South America, and eastern parts of the US and Canada.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ROGER

• ladygrim

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Bulldog1974

HA! That Explains why I thought the moon looked so odd last night, I was beginning to think it was the alcohol! It looked quite normal when I went out , large bright full moon, a few pints later and it looked surprisingly small and greenish in hue, the difference in apparent size from when I'd seen it earlier was like the difference between a 50 pence piece and a 5 pence! I spent about ten mins between pubs trying to figure out why it had shrunk. After midnight on the way home I looked again and was surprised to see a bite taken out of its edge. "odd" I said to my friend, " could have sworn it was a full moon a couple of hours ago".

Ah well, it all makes sense now!

I saw this last night in the UK, it was well cool! Though it was a dark Red - Invisible like colour and i dont seem to remember any recent volcanoe eruptions in the UK atall. Still, it was awsome! If only i could remember the Solar Eclipse. lol

HA! That Explains why I thought the moon looked so odd last night, I was beginning to think it was the alcohol! It looked quite normal when I went out , large bright full moon, a few pints later and it looked surprisingly small and greenish in hue, the difference in apparent size from when I'd seen it earlier was like the difference between a 50 pence piece and a 5 pence! I spent about ten mins between pubs trying to figure out why it had shrunk. After midnight on the way home I looked again and was surprised to see a bite taken out of its edge. "odd" I said to my friend, " could have sworn it was a full moon a couple of hours ago".

Ah well, it all makes sense now!

hahaha :lol: you could have lost ur mind if it kept on going

Sadly it was just too early in the morning and the moon was behind the mountains so i couldnt see it

It would have been cool to see

When is the next one?

August I think. I think they said on the news that there would be another in the wee hours of the morning here in NE US some time in August.

It was cool. My astronomy loving son stood out in the driveway for 1/2 an hour watching.

In Atlantic Canada, we were able to view the lunar eclipse between 7:30pm - 8:00pm. It was a clear night as well and I was able to watch outside just for the reddish moon to show itself. Unlike a Solar eclipse, I didn't wanted to stand around to watch the entire sequence. :lol:

To cloudy and to cold. I'll catch the next one. :tu:

And to think the ancients thought this was an evil event, the end of the world and the sign of things to come. It is nothing more than a normal celestial event. I hope those who seen it, enjoyed the sight. It was too cloudy and cold here in the Buckeye State to witness one of God's most beautiful events.. :tu: