Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sleep talking....in a different language

monkeygobyebye

Ok i looked for a forum that might correspond with this subject and found nothing, so here i go.

I've been married for almost a year now and my wife told me something a couple of months ago that really struck me as interesting. She said that sometimes i talk in my sleep (in what sounds like) another language.

Now the reason that i was so perplexed by this is because i have had three other women.....(x-girlfriends) tell me the same thing.

When talking about it their descriptions have all been the same. Not slurring....not gibberish....I'm speaking as clearly as i would through out the day; only difference is it sounds like what has been described as "alien talk"......they have all said that i will say something very rapidly, and then repeat exactly what i just said. So you see, it's systematic....my wife has said that it sounds like several patterns of words i say over and over.

Let me first squash any speculation and say that i do NOT actually believe that I am speaking in tongues or being channeled by some alien "mother ship".....For that matter i don't believe I'm actually speaking in another language, nor does my wife. But i have gone to several web-sites pertaining to sleep disorders and have found nothing that offers information or gives a description of this for people who talk in their sleep.

So i was wondering, has anyone else out there ever done this, 'that you are aware of'

Any and all feed back is greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Just a thought, but maybe you're talking backwards. You can buy a cheap little recorder for $15 at the store, and then the next time that you talk like that, have your wife record it.

• Like 2

I do this while awake.

I made up my own language to say because sometimes I think out loud ( talk what I think ) So I made up my own 50 word language to babble on about while thinking.

People who hear it cant tell its only 50 words, and ask me "Is that japanese/french/whateverish" ? No one ever notices that its only 50 words, only that some of them repeat so obviously it MUST be a "real" language.

Perhaps without realizing it, you've made up your own similar language for dreams.

PS - Also, I second what Airika suggests. If it turns out you really are speaking a differant language thats actually real, you may be on to something.

Edited by Xenojjin
  • Like 1

Just a thought, but maybe you're talking backwards. You can buy a cheap little recorder for $15 at the store, and then the next time that you talk like that, have your wife record it.

I do this while awake.

I made up my own language to say because sometimes I think out loud ( talk what I think ) So I made up my own 50 word language to babble on about while thinking.

People who hear it cant tell its only 50 words, and ask me "Is that japanese/french/whateverish" ? No one ever notices that its only 50 words, only that some of them repeat so obviously it MUST be a "real" language.

Perhaps without realizing it, you've made up your own similar language for dreams.

PS - Also, I second what Airika suggests. If it turns out you really are speaking a differant language thats actually real, you may be on to something.

This is exactly the kind of input i was hoping for. These are very probable explanations. Perhaps i am just talking backwards....or even some kind of 'dream' language. Thank you so much! You guys have got my brain really humming now. I will definitely be investing in a cheap little tape recorder soon.

would be interested to hear it, i heard before about a woman who spoke fluent french while under hypnosis. she had never taken any classes and can't speak french when she is out of hypnosis.

This is exactly the kind of input i was hoping for. These are very probable explanations. Perhaps i am just talking backwards....or even some kind of 'dream' language. Thank you so much! You guys have got my brain really humming now. I will definitely be investing in a cheap little tape recorder soon.

Don't invest too cheaply. Unless it's a motorless digital recorder, you're likely to only record the sound of the motor running.

Guess what? I'm gonna do the same thing tonight. :tu:

I got my PDA set on record (voice memo) and got it hooked up to an adapter to keep the power on.

A couple stories:

One time I was half-awake, half-asleep and I spoke clearly out loud! I spoke so loud I woke myself up and noticed I had actually said something, lol. What it was? I don't know. My mom was like - "who are you talking to!?" - it pretty much freaked both of us out.

While at a friend's house, we played games (Diablo II online) all night until I told him I was too tired to play any longer. I went to bed on his couch, but it was uncomfortable, lol. Anyway, I had weird dreams that I was still playing the games with my friend! I actually remembered saying "Hey, you wanna trade my item for your item?". My friend turned around from his computer chair and saw me waking up on the couch, then he said - "Dude, what were you saying?" - it was so hilarious because my mind was still in the game.

Edited by LiQuiD_FuSioN

Don't invest too cheaply. Unless it's a motorless digital recorder, you're likely to only record the sound of the motor running.

Also, maybe it's your snoring...You'll be surprised how sometimes loud snoring can be mistaken for talking voices...When their snores talk back though, you might wonder if it is the "aliens" channeling in on you...

(No offense to the OP, don't mean to hijack this thread!)

Well, I just recorded myself. Here's what I found out:

I heard some really low humming noises, but I figured out it was just cars passing by at night.

Also, I found out that I snored for the shortest amount of time! Only like 5 snores and I stopped, that's it.

I muttered one word = Ugh! Well, that's not a word.

Oh well, I guess I'll try another time. ;)

• Haha 1

I used to talk in my sleep, but I was told it was nothing that sounded like a known language. Maybe you're just saying random sounds and noises very clearly? That or abduction...?

Guess what? I'm gonna do the same thing tonight. :tu:

I got my PDA set on record (voice memo) and got it hooked up to an adapter to keep the power on.

A couple stories:

One time I was half-awake, half-asleep and I spoke clearly out loud! I spoke so loud I woke myself up and noticed I had actually said something, lol. What it was? I don't know. My mom was like - "who are you talking to!?" - it pretty much freaked both of us out.

While at a friend's house, we played games (Diablo II online) all night until I told him I was too tired to play any longer. I went to bed on his couch, but it was uncomfortable, lol. Anyway, I had weird dreams that I was still playing the games with my friend! I actually remembered saying "Hey, you wanna trade my item for your item?". My friend turned around from his computer chair and saw me waking up on the couch, then he said - "Dude, what were you saying?" - it was so hilarious because my mind was still in the game.

I should have mentioned this, but my wife has told me that it's actually been a while since i've talked in that weird sleep language. As for talking in my sleep in general, i could give you countless stories. I started walking and talking in my sleep when i was about 12 or 13. I'm 31 now. THe first time it happened i literally got up one evening, sat down next to my mother on the sofa, and struck up a conversation with her in my sleep. She said that i went on and on about my sister "having the skulls." To this day i have no idea what that could mean. I can tell you this, my sister is now a drug addict and is currently M.I.A. We haven't seen her in about 2 years.

As for video games, i tend to have very vivid dreams about any game that i might be playing at the time; case in point....."SIREN"....i actually stopped playing this game for that reason. It was giving me nightmares. If you really want to get spooked i highly recommend it. Be warned, it's not for the faint of heart.

I do this while awake.

I'm curious about this 50 word language of yours; would you mind translating maybe 2 or 3 words for me?

my brother say that when i'm sleeping sometimes i open my eyes, sit on the bed, talk in a language that he don't understand(a very quickly one...), then i close my eyes and go to sleep again. The thing is that i don't remember anything at all.

Never tried the recorder,maybe i will?

I'm curious about my super language...lol ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Thats quite a coincidence because a few days ago, i was sleeping at a friends place with three girls in the room, i woke up when one of the girls got up to probably use the toilet about 8 in the morning then fell back to sleep.s6trange dream which i cant talk about however i was commanding somthing to leave repeating an enlish word in my dream however.Not knowing i had woken the two girls in the room who where scared and trying to figure out what i was saying.When i woke up they told me i was speaking some strange language and where convinced that it was a language.They said it sounded Devilish or demonic, and that my voice changed !!!!!!Thats deep,Thats how i stubled on your message trying to research anything like that.i wonder what that could be however i feel that you must remember what you were saying, the emosion you where saying it, and who you where talking to.There you would fing the clue.

Ok i looked for a forum that might correspond with this subject and found nothing, so here i go.

I've been married for almost a year now and my wife told me something a couple of months ago that really struck me as interesting. She said that sometimes i talk in my sleep (in what sounds like) another language.

Now the reason that i was so perplexed by this is because i have had three other women.....(x-girlfriends) tell me the same thing.

When talking about it their descriptions have all been the same. Not slurring....not gibberish....I'm speaking as clearly as i would through out the day; only difference is it sounds like what has been described as "alien talk"......they have all said that i will say something very rapidly, and then repeat exactly what i just said. So you see, it's systematic....my wife has said that it sounds like several patterns of words i say over and over.

Let me first squash any speculation and say that i do NOT actually believe that I am speaking in tongues or being channeled by some alien "mother ship".....For that matter i don't believe I'm actually speaking in another language, nor does my wife. But i have gone to several web-sites pertaining to sleep disorders and have found nothing that offers information or gives a description of this for people who talk in their sleep.

So i was wondering, has anyone else out there ever done this, 'that you are aware of'

Any and all feed back is greatly appreciated.

I occassionaly spoke in Spanish in my sleep. Very handy as I had a Columbian girlfriend at the time who confimed this. I couldn't speak Spanish to save my life in the awake world and I only studied German at school. Isn't the human mind amazing :D

My friend said that I Speak Viardan in my sleep. And I can make this clicking noise with my throat that sounds like the Predator. He says I do that as well.

my roommate told me i growled in my sleep once....

i talk in my sleep... my whole family does.... i don't know what i say... my roommate though asks

me what i was dreaming about and unfortunately i can never remember

Ohhh...you're only scared to say something in your dreams.

Your dream can't determine who among the 4 girls you're with.

I just experienced the same thing. Sorry, I don't have much input on it but I am so glad to see that I am not the only one that goes through this. My mother came in my room and said she called my name and I said one phrase in french and I repeated twice more. Then I remember waking up to her looking at me all scared and frightened which scared me of course. Now I know I'm not a weirdo!

• Like 1

One time me and one of my freinds were camping and he started talking in his sleep. At first I thought he woke up but I couldnt hear what he was saying then I called his name.....and he said "cheese"....And I said "Oi Sky why'd you throw my cheese in the woods".....And he replied " No I want my cheese".........Then I got up and poked him and he was asleep so we were "Talking" for a few hours t'ill I fell asleep............

When I was younger and lived with my parents, my mother said I'd talk in my sleep in a foreign language. My boyfriend (now my husband) loaned me a voice recorder so I could record myself whilst sleeping. I don't think I've got that tape any longer but I do remember what I heard on the recorder. I'll spell it phonetically because I've no idea what I was saying.

I began moving around (turning over?) in my sleep and began making vocal noises. I said, "Dwa. Dwaah tadultra."

I've no idea what that's supposed to mean. If anyone understands that language, please let me know! LOL.

Edited by stealth_alert

My friend said that I Speak Viardan in my sleep. And I can make this clicking noise with my throat that sounds like the Predator. He says I do that as well.

what is viardan? I have never heard of it b4.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know if you'r speaking in a different language or not, but i have a friend who sleep talks and walks. usually he's just babbling in an inaudible way, just making noise and moving his mouth. other times he's actually saying words like "Make it blue" or "i'm looking for my lugnuts" or "i don't like tennessee, but i like singing it" lol :lol: . he says really random things in his sleep.

Edited by branflakes

My ex boyfriend used to tell me I talked in something like Latin when I was asleep..

Woaah.

xD

this is weird speaking in another language.

I talk when i sleep because my mum tould me

but i dont speak in another language

i just say random stuff then quickly fall asleep.

but i have no memory of saying these things.