Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sleep talking....in a different language

monkeygobyebye

My spouse does the same. If its not a language you have heard before, I think it's just English mixed with gibberish baby talk. Your body is in relax mode so the tongue might be a little lax while you talk so full words might not come out as it normally would. It's just partial words and in dream world, things can repeat as many times as the brain wants. It may sound clear because you were speaking loud enough to create defined sounds. It may bee a different language. Different languages can come out because the brain retains more than you think. the sweedish you heard on the tv, spanish your lover speaks. I think dreams help access those parts. we do dream of people we believe we have never seen, but in reality we have. They were just people we took a glimps at in life.

• Thanks 1

I had a boyfriend who used to talk in spanish in his sleep. He didn't actually know much spanish apart from basic greeting and the odd phrase.

Maybe your just babbling ... while your dreaming mind is speaking just fine?

Now the reason that i was so perplexed by this is because i have had three other women.....(x-girlfriends) tell me the same thing.

When talking about it their descriptions have all been the same. Not slurring....not gibberish....I'm speaking as clearly as i would through out the day; only difference is it sounds like what has been described as "alien talk"......they have all said that i will say something very rapidly, and then repeat exactly what i just said. So you see, it's systematic....my wife has said that it sounds like several patterns of words i say over and over.

Let me first squash any speculation and say that i do NOT actually believe that I am speaking in tongues or being channeled by some alien "mother ship".....For that matter i don't believe I'm actually speaking in another language, nor does my wife. But i have gone to several web-sites pertaining to sleep disorders and have found nothing that offers information or gives a description of this for people who talk in their sleep.

So i was wondering, has anyone else out there ever done this, 'that you are aware of'

When my son was very little, around 6-9 years old he and I had a bunkbed we shared. I slept on the bottom, he on the top. Frequently he woke me up speaking in exactly the type of language you describe. And he did the same thing, clearly spoke some weird language, repeating words and using those words in different sentences. I began to recognize different words as he used them in different sentences. The language did sound "alien"..but with a Russian/Asian type twang to it. He never had any memory of it . Sometimes even still from his room I can hear him doing this now and then. Though now that he's older, he does it very infrequently.

• 4 weeks later...

That happened to me once. I woke myself up from a dream shouting "rache, meister" over and over again. It sounded German to me, so I looked it up in a German-English dictionary. It means "revenge, master." Problem is, I don't speak German. I wish I could remember the dream.

I had a dream where I was in India and was running towards a clearing in the forest where a bunch of men were working with training and caring for elephants. I ran screaming "mahout! MAHOUT!!" I was so excited to see one man in particular; I think maybe a master of mine in a past life? I woke saying "mahout". I had no idea what the word meant then I looked it up online. It means a master of elephant handling or an elephant trainer.

Do you have an inkling of who your master is/was and what revenge it is you are after?

Edited by SSilhouette

I have been talking in my sleep since a young child and even now as an adult sometime I wake my own self up. When I awake I catch myself cursing someone out or speaking a full sentence. I really hate that when I sleep it isn't peaceful. My family and past girlfriends say that I have full conversations in my sleep that simply I can't recall when awakwned and once I got popped in the mouth by an ex who said I called some woman's name out. Trying to find an answer I ran across what is called astral traveling and maybe that is what you are doing as myself because there are different forms of astral traveling. Really I probably need to see a shrink or something but I guess it's just a part of me.I have been through many bad events in my life so my inner soul could be speaking out to release whatever it is bothering me. All I can say is research astral traveling and see if maybe this is what you could be doing...just a thought.

I truly believe in past lives. And that's because of vivid dreams I've had of several of mine: usually at the point when I died. Like the traumatic imprint stayed with my spirit while all the other memories were erased for this new life to not be encumbered.

Some people carry more baggage than others and some of it is so heavy from other lives that they seem to express a sort of psycho-sentient PTSD by fitful sleep and dreams. Sometimes it may even bleed over into their waking lives and cause problems or unhappiness for them. The purpose of each life may be to teach lessons from old wrongs but also I feel at the same time each life is a new opportunity to move on from those old bad habits.

Maybe slaughtr, if you saw a hypnotist, you could gain access to some of what is troubling you and work through those issues in waking life with a therapist. This might do the trick?

• 1 year later...

Well i would put myself in the position of your wife or ex-girlfriends. I encountered sleep talking at least 2 times with my family members. The first time, with my little sister. I got up to take the dog outside but she stopped me by saying my name. I answered "what" and she said something gibberish and weird, and I got kind of scared. So i said "what?" again and she said the same thing she said before. So i shook her shoulders for a while and then her she got this angry confused look on on her face, then i said "Kay, what did you just say?" and she responded back "I don't know. leave me alone." The second time with my oldest sister. I turned over in the bed and she tapped my leg. I said "Yes?" and she said some more gibberish? Then i stopped talking to her because i realized she was speaking a different language. Like you said, she said it clear as if she were really awoken but in a different way. Then she shook me and said it again, and I hit her on her chest and she said "Oh, sorry" and scooted over? After that i told her about the different language type of thing and she said well I cant really explain it...

When I have a nightmare I obviously sometimes sing weirdly, so I think what is more important is the feeling behind the words, I also dream in different languages ones I dreamt in a language which seemed like ancient gallic, but it wasnt me talking in that language, it were other persons in my dream. It could be a mixture of various languages you heard in this life or another, or natural animal like sounds....

my sister also talks sometimes during sleep ... sometimes funny stuff

Edited by hellwyr

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds interesting get a recorder and tape your self

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

A similar experience happened to me the other night. I told my boyfriend he was talking in his sleep then he turned the tables and told me "No, you were talking in your sleep!" I was shocked at first I didn't believe him then the more he told me about it I believed him. He described it as I was speaking an ancient elvish language. Which I had no idea what he meant. He told me that I was speaking for 40 whole minutes! He first thought it was gibberish, then 5-10 mins in he realized I wasn't, this is a man who has heard every kind of music in different languages and he has never heard anything like this before. I asked him why he didn't record it and replied with " I was busy trying to figure out what you were trying to say"?

• 8 months later...

This is really hard to talk about. But I often do sit up in my sleep and talk on a different language. But along with that I get the most vivid dreams. And the reason this is so bad, is often times in these dreams I or someone I know very well will die. I looked it up and the only thing I could maybe have is parasomnia but it affects sleep cycles and whatever I have doesn't. I commonly sit up and speak a different language, snore, grit my teeth, and violently sweat when I have these dreams. If you made it this far, thanks for caring.

• 3 months later...

This is the only place online I've found anyone talking about this phenomenon. I sleep alone so I don't know how often I do this, but the first time it really shook me was in February of this year. I was in that weird sleepy state where I'm coming out of a deep sleep but I'm lucid enough to remember what's going on in real life. As I was coming out of my sleep, I was speaking very clearly (for several sentences) in a different language that sounded a lot like French. Although I don't speak French and have not been exposed to it hardly at all in my life. That was the first time I wrote down this experience.

Very early this morning I woke up due to being in an uncomfortable position, it was in that same kind of "just waking up" state, and came out of my sleep speaking some other language that is foreign to me, very clearly for several sentences. I didn't sound like French like it did before, and it wasn't Spanish (which I have a lot of exposure to). I didn't recognize it at all. It totally threw me for a loop because I was speaking with such conviction, too.

Both times this year that I noted it, I was coming out of a very deep sleep after being exhausted and couldn't remember what I was dreaming about, just that I was speaking a different language as I woke up. I started searching online today because I was curious if this was something that happened to other people.

Edited by LCDR

I unconsciously know Spanish. I can't speak Spanish but I can understand it perfectly.

I think it's because my best friend from junior high would usually only talk to his mother in English whereas she would only ever speak in Spanish & later on I spent many years with Mexican migrant workers & worked with a lot of illegal immigrants on a logging crew so I just kinda picked up on it with out really knowing it.

Edited by Kid_Marx

In addition to a recorder, keep a dream journal.  Write down all of your dreams.  When you wake up at night, write your recent dream down.  By morning earlier dreams can be "overwritten" and forgotten. When you wake up, first thing you do is ask yourself,"What was I dreaming?" Recall as many as you can and write them down.  You might be surprised how many dreams you forget before morning.  Maybe it will help with your quandary.  Welcome and keep us posted.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I also was told by my husband that one night he woke to find me having my hands stretched out in my sleep and talking in what seemed to be Arabic. I have no knowledge of this language nor do I speak any other but sign language and English. I remember the dream I was in my home and heard a voice say go take a walk, so I did necause I felt drawn to something. As I walked I came to a large hill which is actually down the road from me it was peaceful and beautiful the sky was beautiful no clouds. Then I heard a voice say help them and everything changed the sky became dark and clouds were very thick and swirling.  I heard loud voices not just a few but dozens. Then I reached out my hands and began speaking in another language. Which my husband when I told him was shocked because he said I was doing it in my sleep and it was a fluent  different language. 

• 1 month later...

It’s 2AM and my brother just scared me.

so basically I was trying to sleep and he started mumbling noises, this was normal so I ignored it. Then he went “uh? Kirsten?” I thought maybe he was awake so I said “yeah?” And he went “turn.. turrr turn it (gibberish and more “turn it’s”) see-darrr (more gibberish)” 

my heart was racing. I thought at first he was awake and wanted me to turn the Telly down. But he said my name so clearly, as if he was awake! 

• 7 months later...
On 3/4/2007 at 8:00 PM, monkeygobyebye said:

Ok i looked for a forum that might correspond with this subject and found nothing, so here i go.

I've been married for almost a year now and my wife told me something a couple of months ago that really struck me as interesting. She said that sometimes i talk in my sleep (in what sounds like) another language.

Now the reason that i was so perplexed by this is because i have had three other women.....(x-girlfriends) tell me the same thing.

When talking about it their descriptions have all been the same. Not slurring....not gibberish....I'm speaking as clearly as i would through out the day; only difference is it sounds like what has been described as "alien talk"......they have all said that i will say something very rapidly, and then repeat exactly what i just said. So you see, it's systematic....my wife has said that it sounds like several patterns of words i say over and over.

Let me first squash any speculation and say that i do NOT actually believe that I am speaking in tongues or being channeled by some alien "mother ship".....For that matter i don't believe I'm actually speaking in another language, nor does my wife. But i have gone to several web-sites pertaining to sleep disorders and have found nothing that offers information or gives a description of this for people who talk in their sleep.

So i was wondering, has anyone else out there ever done this, 'that you are aware of'

Any and all feed back is greatly appreciated.

Just had the same thing happen to my husband.

• 5 months later...

This is so old I wonder if anyone will read my response.

I too have a sleep language - it sounds Latin (which I don’t speak, read, or understand). Sometimes it sounds like gibberish but usually it sounds like an actual dialect. I usually say a couple sentences.

I also do another weird thing. I have multi sentence conversations using two distinctly different voices. It freaks my wife out because sometimes one is a child’s or women’s voice.

Once I gave complete instructions for prepping & plastering a wall including question & answer with two voices. My wife laughing her ass off woke me and ended it!

• Haha 1