Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sleep talking....in a different language

monkeygobyebye

Ok i looked for a forum that might correspond with this subject and found nothing, so here i go.

I've been married for almost a year now and my wife told me something a couple of months ago that really struck me as interesting. She said that sometimes i talk in my sleep (in what sounds like) another language.

Now the reason that i was so perplexed by this is because i have had three other women.....(x-girlfriends) tell me the same thing.

When talking about it their descriptions have all been the same. Not slurring....not gibberish....I'm speaking as clearly as i would through out the day; only difference is it sounds like what has been described as "alien talk"......they have all said that i will say something very rapidly, and then repeat exactly what i just said. So you see, it's systematic....my wife has said that it sounds like several patterns of words i say over and over.

Let me first squash any speculation and say that i do NOT actually believe that I am speaking in tongues or being channeled by some alien "mother ship".....For that matter i don't believe I'm actually speaking in another language, nor does my wife. But i have gone to several web-sites pertaining to sleep disorders and have found nothing that offers information or gives a description of this for people who talk in their sleep.

So i was wondering, has anyone else out there ever done this, 'that you are aware of'

Any and all feed back is greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I did a search on sleep talking in tongues because my husband does it all the time. First I thought it was Hebrew, as he lived in Israel for awhile. But now I think it's some kind of "alien" language.

Last night (and the kids saw and heard it too) he was talking like that again and he talks really fast sounding like one syllable words, but this time he had a hand signal-he had his arm out (like commanding or blessing someone like a priest does) and his hand did this rolling thing where he had his hand outstretched, was talking these words and first his 5th finger (baby) then the 4th then the 3rd curled dowm to his palm-very simultaneously I might add until his pointer finger was out like he was pointing at someone or something. He did the about 4-5 times-exactly the same each time.

The kids and I just looked at each other (I have told hubby about the language thing and he has never believed me) and nobody siad anything.

When he woke up I told him and showed him what he was doing, and he said NO WAY!. The kids said yes Dad you did do that!

I'm kind of freaked out now and wondering what it could be.

Any ideas anyone? Is he commanding people on a different planet while he is asleep? That the first thing that came to my mind.

I think I may get a tape recorder so he can hear it himself.

Here's my interesting sleep-talking story. I currently know two languages: Spanish and English. I am working on learning German and Japanese (very hard). But most of the music I listen to is foreign, either Spanish, German, Russian, or Japanese. Here's the weird part. My best friend woke me up ne night and told me I was singing "andori ga taki bokura" --a Japanese song--almost exactly as the artist says the words. I thought it was really cool, until she told me that my pitch was horrible. <_< Then I hit her head and went back to sleep.

But for the OP, could it be a language that you listen to/have heard in a song/artist that you are repeating at night? I'm fairly certain that's what happened to me.

i often talk in a strange unknown language in my sleep, sometimes i shout really random things in the night. Like i had a sleepover a couple of years ago and woke up to find my freind staring at me,looking a bit frightened. I asked him what was up and he told me i was shouting "snowflake" at him for about 10 minutes. Each time this happens i never remember anything about it.

i often talk in a strange unknown language in my sleep, sometimes i shout really random things in the night. Like i had a sleepover a couple of years ago and woke up to find my freind staring at me,looking a bit frightened. I asked him what was up and he told me i was shouting "snowflake" at him for about 10 minutes. Each time this happens i never remember anything about it.

SNOWFLAKE! Tag, you're it.

My husband talks in his sleep. I think he is trying to speak English, but only part of the words are coming out--just a syllable here and there, which makes it sound like another language, or total gibberish. He usually remembers his dreams, and says that he is really saying something in English but it must be coming out garbled.

I've prayed in tongues in my sleep. I've also had dreams where I know I'm speaking another language--French, Polish or Spanish, usually. (I never studied French, but I did have a couple of years of Spanish that I quickly forgot. Both my parents spoke Polish, but I never learned. They used to speak Polish when they discussed things they didn't want us kids to hear.) I lucidly think in my dream, "I'm speaking another language; I know I will keep speaking this way when I wake up and remember everything I said" but I don't. As I get closer and closer to consciousness, the meaning of the words is lost. Bummer.

I'd also be interested in what you find if you tape-record yourself.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

Talking in your sleep in a "mysterious" language, and doing the same while awake, is generally the same thing. It is possible to "make up" a language as you go. This is called speaking in tongues and is sometimes used in religious practice. The actual name is glossolalia, which you can read about HERE. It is actually quite a simple thing to do, as long as you have an open mind and don't consciously try to form words, especially more attractively sounding ones, and simply let the vocalizations flow. It is your own inner language, in this sense.

Both my parents spoke Polish, but I never learned. They used to speak Polish when they discussed things they didn't want us kids to hear.) I lucidly think in my dream, "I'm speaking another language; I know I will keep speaking this way when I wake up and remember everything I said" but I don't. As I get closer and closer to consciousness, the meaning of the words is lost. Bummer.

I'd also be interested in what you find if you tape-record yourself.

I've sometimes wondered if people might acquire bits and pieces of their parent's language as a sort of inherited memory, though that would require rna from the parent's brains to be re-written as dna using the reverse-transcriptase found in retro-viruses.

When you were thinking you should remember the language, were you thinking in polish? You might have better luck just remembering the sounds of the words and then looking up the meanings when you're awake?

i had a dream and i can remmeber the name henna from it, apparetly its a name, but i dont know anything else its also a form of body art. iv talked in my sleep before but, my mum told me i did anyway, but i cant remember what i said.

Edited by Blueguardian

I was dreaming I was in school once, and was talking to a friend, then woke up. My mum said "You were dreaming that you were in school" and I was like, "How did you know", and she says "I heard you say 'Yes sir'"

Strange, because I was talking to a schoolfriend.

I've heard of people waking up from sleep the next day and speaking a different language, its kind of different to the thread but its kinda related.

If it's a proper language and not just gibberish or the line of a song, it could also be karmic bleed-through, as it's called. Although you consciously don't remember past existences,

subconsciously, in your dream-state you could...

PS: One of my ex-boyfriends fell out of bed one night with a humongous clonk, taking the duvet with him n'all....On the floor, he wrestles with the duvet, shouting: "I am Superman! :D:D:D (he didn't remember anything afterwards...)

Edited by SeaMare

according to greek mythology and modern beliefs, there are two states of conciousness, (and damn me if i can remember the names) there is this thing called extintion in babies. They speak all languages, pronounce impossible russian phrases, german tongues ect. are all included in their goo-ga ing in the first state of conciousness, these children are immortal, because as long as they think they are immortal, they are. as well happens rarely in dreams of adults, this extinction reverses itself but as we come to believe that everyone dies, everyone will. :blush:

Ok i looked for a forum that might correspond with this subject and found nothing, so here i go.

I've been married for almost a year now and my wife told me something a couple of months ago that really struck me as interesting. She said that sometimes i talk in my sleep (in what sounds like) another language.

Now the reason that i was so perplexed by this is because i have had three other women.....(x-girlfriends) tell me the same thing.

When talking about it their descriptions have all been the same. Not slurring....not gibberish....I'm speaking as clearly as i would through out the day; only difference is it sounds like what has been described as "alien talk"......they have all said that i will say something very rapidly, and then repeat exactly what i just said. So you see, it's systematic....my wife has said that it sounds like several patterns of words i say over and over.

Let me first squash any speculation and say that i do NOT actually believe that I am speaking in tongues or being channeled by some alien "mother ship".....For that matter i don't believe I'm actually speaking in another language, nor does my wife. But i have gone to several web-sites pertaining to sleep disorders and have found nothing that offers information or gives a description of this for people who talk in their sleep.

So i was wondering, has anyone else out there ever done this, 'that you are aware of'

Hi there, I have heard about this phenomenon while I was in India. Don't know how far it's true but the folks there believes that the soul had a certain intelligence,(depending on how old is your soul) and it knows things that we are not aware on a conscious level. But while we are sleeping our subconsciousness becomes more of a dominating factor, and we are more receptive. May be subconsciously you are trying to tell yourself something.......May be this is not related to this thread (and being a newbie here I am still getting used to the forum) .I have been having this dream for as long as I can remember and each time it's more vivid, more real, it's so real that I feel I am actaully in the dream and that everything is real.Know what I mean. Each time I am running away from people who are pursuing me relentlessly and I am running and running, sometimes it's in the dessert, soemtimes I am trapped in a sort of amaze, and soemtimes I am in a house and it's got akind of basement. The dream starts with me running and being pursued and SUDDENLY the whole picture changes and I am free, there is a river that I cross and at the other side there is a small black puppy waiting for me, .......to lead me somewhere, each time I strain to know where the puppy is leading me but the dream always ends here and i wake up. I feel there is an answer somewhere in the dream and I am just not getting it, its slipping right past me.....If anybody here knows how to 'decode' dreams, your help will be much appreciated.

I threw my voice once in my sleep. My husband woke me up freaked out because I was talking in my sleep: my mouth was moving, but my voice was coming from the other room. My voice was saying, "NO! Get OUT! GO!" I laughed at him thinking he was just a teasing me. I can not do a ventriloquist voice at all, even when I am awake! He couldn't get to sleep after that. But the next morning when we went to leave we opened our front door and someone had tried to break in during the night. The door was all messed up and there was beer cans on the front porch. We lived out in the middle of the woods. My voice probably scared them away. Weird.

I threw my voice once in my sleep. My husband woke me up freaked out because I was talking in my sleep: my mouth was moving, but my voice was coming from the other room. My voice was saying, "NO! Get OUT! GO!" I laughed at him thinking he was just a teasing me. I can not do a ventriloquist voice at all, even when I am awake! He couldn't get to sleep after that. But the next morning when we went to leave we opened our front door and someone had tried to break in during the night. The door was all messed up and there was beer cans on the front porch. We lived out in the middle of the woods. My voice probably scared them away. Weird.

Wow, that is incredible!!!

I am freaked out. sorry. so glad i found this today and it's a current discussion.

My 15 year old daughter often talks in her sleep, but always in English. And then on Sunday night she had a 5 minute "conversation" in a language i didnt understand, in her sleep. She doesn't speak any other language other than english (apart from basic spanish which she's learning at school) and it wasnt spanish. I recorded some of it and took it to a moroccan friend of the family as it sounded very strange. she said she recognised some words and said she thought it was "French Arabic".

So obviously I'm wondering how? Why? what is going on??

We did go to Dubai in half term 2 weeks ago. Could she have picked something up there subconsciously? Although everyone was speaking english to us there and we were only there for 4 days.

Or could it be Glossolalia. Or something else? To be honest with you it was so loud I thought she was possessed or something. And one of the words she mentioned towards the end was Skopje, which apparently is the capital city of Macedonia. Which i didnt know until my friend told me.

If anyone can give me any ideas, id appreciate it cos I don't know what to do if it happens again. I asked my daughter the next day if she recalled any dreams but she said no.

And to top it off she is a complete athiest (although I had her baptised C of E) and isn't glossolalia religious?

Any advice or ideas on why this has happened will be thankfully recieved.

Edited by LewisN20

I've sometimes wondered if people might acquire bits and pieces of their parent's language as a sort of inherited memory, though that would require rna from the parent's brains to be re-written as dna using the reverse-transcriptase found in retro-viruses.

When you were thinking you should remember the language, were you thinking in polish? You might have better luck just remembering the sounds of the words and then looking up the meanings when you're awake?

You know, I can't remember if I was thinking in Polish or not. It was just thought...I just don't know.

Next time it happens, I'll try to remember the sounds...but I forget it so quickly!

I am freaked out. sorry. so glad i found this today and it's a current discussion.

My 15 year old daughter often talks in her sleep, but always in English. And then on Sunday night she had a 5 minute "conversation" in a language i didnt understand, in her sleep. She doesn't speak any other language other than english (apart from basic spanish which she's learning at school) and it wasnt spanish. I recorded some of it and took it to a moroccan friend of the family as it sounded very strange. she said she recognised some words and said she thought it was "French Arabic".

So obviously I'm wondering how? Why? what is going on??

We did go to Dubai in half term 2 weeks ago. Could she have picked something up there subconsciously? Although everyone was speaking english to us there and we were only there for 4 days.

Or could it be Glossolalia. Or something else? To be honest with you it was so loud I thought she was possessed or something. And one of the words she mentioned towards the end was Skopje, which apparently is the capital city of Macedonia. Which i didnt know until my friend told me.

If anyone can give me any ideas, id appreciate it cos I don't know what to do if it happens again. I asked my daughter the next day if she recalled any dreams but she said no.

And to top it off she is a complete athiest (although I had her baptised C of E) and isn't glossolalia religious?

Any advice or ideas on why this has happened will be thankfully recieved.

Hi LewisN20,

I wouldn' worry too much. I don't think she's possessed or anything. Nor do I think this is a sign of a psychological disorder. As you can see for yourself, many people here had similar experiences & are perfectly sane, healthy individuals (or so we assume... :P )

What I find interesting in your case is that you managed to record your daughter. That offers up possibilites. If you can spare the time, it would be great if you could hunt down a linguist & find out if it indeed was a proper language or just googledigoo.

If it's a proper language, possibly with arabic origins, it could be that your trip to Dubai has subconsciously triggered some past-life memories (As you might have seen from my previous post, I believe in reincarnation.) There's no harm in that & nothing to be concerned about...

Have you traveled there before or first time?

If it's just gibberish, don't worry about it, the human mind can do all sorts of crazy things whilst sleeping. Most likely this will be a one-off anyway.

• 3 months later...

There doesn't seem to be much information out there that fancies my attention, however, I have been experiencing this for many years now. I am aware of it when it occurs, and it's some sort of language, seems like full sentences. I am sorta awake at the time, actually feel a little possessed when it occurs. My first thoughts were speaking backwards for sure, but I my partner heard it and was sure I knew some other language. The 'alien' thing seems rather interesting, but perhaps since we are energy beings and our bodies run on a constant frequency, perhaps we are being interfered with other frequencies. This theory would make sense now with all the cell phones, satellites, and wireless, however, that wouldn't make sense so much to many years ago.

I have a recorder, and even put my computer with webcam to monitor me - well, I can not get conscious enough to physically move, I can only seem to wake up, and hear my voice - I am aware my mouth is moving, but I do not have control at the time. Sometimes the dialogue can go on for sometime at least a paragraph or two, and sometimes just sentences. It's not aggressive; however, there was a few times my tone seemed rather aggressive and upset. I have a motion cam now that will activate when I move, but I am not sure if it's voice/sound activited as well.

When enter a different realm of consciousness when we sleep, perhaps maybe the worldly busy action doesn't blanket our true experiences during this time and we can connect to, well - not sure.

I am not on any medication, moderately healthy diet, no soda or sugary drinks, or high on caffeine or pot for that matter. It normally occurs when I am at minimal stress and an overall sense of well being. So that kind of buggers up some theories for me.

I have not been able to find any one else with similar experiences (just yet) of being conscious or momentarily awake, and I recall the event in the morning, however, wouldn't be able to muster the unknown words or language. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience??

• Like 1

Hi there, I have heard about this phenomenon while I was in India. Don't know how far it's true but the folks there believes that the soul had a certain intelligence,(depending on how old is your soul) and it knows things that we are not aware on a conscious level. But while we are sleeping our subconsciousness becomes more of a dominating factor, and we are more receptive. May be subconsciously you are trying to tell yourself something.......May be this is not related to this thread (and being a newbie here I am still getting used to the forum) .I have been having this dream for as long as I can remember and each time it's more vivid, more real, it's so real that I feel I am actaully in the dream and that everything is real.Know what I mean. Each time I am running away from people who are pursuing me relentlessly and I am running and running, sometimes it's in the dessert, soemtimes I am trapped in a sort of amaze, and soemtimes I am in a house and it's got akind of basement. The dream starts with me running and being pursued and SUDDENLY the whole picture changes and I am free, there is a river that I cross and at the other side there is a small black puppy waiting for me, .......to lead me somewhere, each time I strain to know where the puppy is leading me but the dream always ends here and i wake up. I feel there is an answer somewhere in the dream and I am just not getting it, its slipping right past me.....If anybody here knows how to 'decode' dreams, your help will be much appreciated.

It is difficult for another to decode another's dreams as experiences and environments mean different things for people. A common practice in Gestalt dream work is to bring experiences present, and speak of them as you are in that very room, what are you feeling in the basement? what is the temperature like? the air? Also knowing that you can pause, rewind and stop at anytime. It is advisable to consult a trained practitioner, as who knows what the mind might be telling us, and wish to free up. I would also explore the experience of being free, crossing the river (is it calm? rapids?) what is the sky like, the trees? what kind of dog? can you pet it?

Also because sometimes people are chasing, might not always be a bad thing, perhaps they are trying to catch up to you, compete? A competition? Perhaps a personal success or an achievement that you have accomplished?

Again I recommend working with someone familiar with dream work, they can assist you to walk through your dream and keep you present in reality.

I would like to know more about what you know about the phenomenon in India. I have been having a calling as late to visit India, I am curious to explore this.

thanx

Could it be that somehow you're subconsciously "translating" your thoughts, or brainwaves, or something of the genre into actual speech? that would be very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I too do exactly the same thing you have described. Two of my ex boyfriend's have told me that they have heard me speaking an "alien language" in my sleep. I have looked on the internet periodically over the last 4-5 years, trying to find an explanation for it, but have yet to find one. I have read a handful of postings from other people describing the same thing. It could be talking backwards I suppose. I don't know the last time I did it because I am single at the moment - and to be honest the whole thing freaks me out a bit, so I don't really want to go down the avenue of recording myself asleep at the moment. I have exceptionally vivid dreams (well nightmares mostly) and can get up to all sorts of weird things in my sleep - I don't know if this has something to do with it. Has anyone found out anything else about it?

Interesting... o_o...

Well while I was reading through this, I was thinking... It's really rare but what if the language you spoke (if it was really a language) came from a past life? It could be possible, but really really rare. Yet really really cool.

Maybe another explaination somewhere on this topic is "your own language". It would be interesting if someone understood your own language.

I'm just throwing in my ideas. Aside from that I had something similar happen to me when I was younger.

I was sleeping over my friends house one night and I was dead asleep. My friend's a light sleeper so she can hear something and wake up. Well my friend was telling me how she heard me speaking Vietnamese and a little bit of what she thought was Chinese. The Vietnamese part I could understand because I am Viet and know the language, but the Chinese part got me confused because I know nothing of that language even if I am part Chinese. Maybe it just comes naturally?... I'm not sure but this topic made me remember that haha

• 4 weeks later...

HAHA...this is soooo funny...right, me and my friend are just up chillin out watchin some family guy...and my fiance just turned her face in her sleep on th coach and did EXACTLY what you described...we were proppa trippin over it so we thought we'd look it up on the internet to see if it like happens n stuff, and it's just pretty cool to read exactly what we experienced haha!

take it easy man

miles