Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Origin Of Cannabis?

ConfuciusSays

This is just a really curious excerpt taken from Jason Kings "The Cannabible III"

Are You Sirius?

Take a look at the word cannabis. Ever wonder what it means? Cannabis is a Greek word, though its root is African. In Greek, canna means 'canine' or 'dog' and bis or bi is the number two. So cannabis is the 'two dog plant'! That in itself is interesting to me. But the pot thickens.

There is a cannabis-loving tribe in Mali, West Africa called the Dogon tribe. A fairly well-documented group, the Dogons were visited by Herodotus, a Greek traveler and chronicler, around 300 BC. He was fortunate enough to have visited the Dogons during a year-long celebration that took place every 50 years. Explaining their celebration, the Dogons pointed to the brightest star in the Winter sky, Sirius, and said it was the 'Two-Dog Star' and that it was the home of the 'two-dog plant', cannabis. The two-dog plant, they said, was brought to our planet from the Goddess from the Two Dog Star. Their yearlong celebration was in honor of that star.

All of this would be easy to dismiss if not for the fact the Dogons possessed specific knowledge about the Sirian system for thousands of years before scientists with modern telescopes and equipment could catch up and prove them right. The Dogons had specific knowledge about Sirius B, a white dwarf star, which they call Po Tolo. They knew that it was white, that it was extremely small, and that its the heaviest star in its grouping. They were able to describe its elliptical orbit with Sirius A, its 50 year orbital period, and the fact that the star rotated on its own axis. Sirius B is invisible to the naked eye abd is so difficult to observe, even through a telescope, no pictures were taken until 1970.

They also described a third star in the Sirius system, which they called Emme Ya. In 1995, when two French astronomers published the results of a multi-year study that was apparently a small, red dwarf star within the Sirius star system, the Dogon idea of there being a Sirius C, aka Emme Ya, was suddenly taken much more seriously. If the Dogons were correct in all of their other knowledge about Sirius, why would they not be dead on with their claims of cannabis being from Sirius. It is, after all, named after that "Two-Dog Star'

Note: The Dog Star was highly venerated in ancient Mesopotamia, where its old Akkadian name was Mil-lik-ud (Dog Star Of the Sun) and in Babylonia, where it was called Kakkab-lik-ku (Star Of The Dog). The assyrians called Sirius Kal-bu-sa mas (the Dog of the Sun) and in Chaldea, it was known as Kak-shisha (The Dog Star That Leads)

I got this directly out of the book. Pretty interesting stuff nonetheless. What do you all think?

here is a picture of Sirius aka The Dog Star

linked-image

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ConfuciusSays

• leadbelly

• Unlimited

• sheleven

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What do we know of the dog star now, is it close enough for us to investigate. photograph, etc etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius

they pretty much cover everything about the star, including an article on the Dogon tribe and their credibility. Pretty good read if your up for it.

If this is true though, cannabis couldnt be the ONLY thing brought to us by the heavens......

First, for that image, the diffraction spikes are particularly appealing. Aesthetic, familiar, and probably annoying when trying to study the spectra of smaller companion stars.

That aside, Herschel's brother, for example, and numerous other astronomers have always gone from Europe to Africa to see southern skies. Did Dr. Livingston this way presume to pass?

Since when did this have anything to do with ETs? :huh:

good question....

You are right. They are a decidedly poor people who have probably struggled with a mean existance. They would not have understood the stories of astronomers, which might have passed their way.

According to the tribe's folklore, the goddess that visited them was a member of a group of large intelligent amphibious creatures who came out of the sky in a craft that resembled the modern conception of a UFO. And who told the earthlings a lot about their home planet.

Edited by msadventures

wow a pot planet...take the 420 express...I would like to see it....

Another badly researched, jumping-the-gun post.

Take a look at the word cannabis. Ever wonder what it means? Cannabis is a Greek word, though its root is African. In Greek, canna means 'canine' or 'dog' and bis or bi is the number two. So cannabis is the 'two dog plant'! That in itself is interesting to me. But the pot thickens.

No it doesn't. Do some research. The earliest use is in the Sumerian language - "kanubi", which means 'cane of two (sexes)'. Not "canine", CANE.

Every other hebrew meaning translates as being to do with "reeds" or "canes". Nothing to do with dogs.

There is a cannabis-loving tribe in Mali, West Africa called the Dogon tribe.

There is no evidence that they were "cannabis-loving". Cannabis was sold between the middle east and asia along well troden trade routes. How the Dogon would have got hold of it is beyond me, and not mentioned in any resource.

A fairly well-documented group, the Dogons were visited by Herodotus, a Greek traveler and chronicler, around 300 BC. He was fortunate enough to have visited the Dogons during a year-long celebration that took place every 50 years. Explaining their celebration, the Dogons pointed to the brightest star in the Winter sky, Sirius, and said it was the 'Two-Dog Star' and that it was the home of the 'two-dog plant', cannabis. The two-dog plant, they said, was brought to our planet from the Goddess from the Two Dog Star. Their yearlong celebration was in honor of that star.

Given that Herodotus died in 425 BC, I find this highly unlikely. There is also no evidence that he travelled to Mali. The Dogon first came to light thanks to the work of Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen.

From wiki:

The Dogon were reported in the 20th Century as having certain traditional astronomical knowledge, including of the existence of Sirius B, which would be impossible without at least telescopes.

The ethnographer's credibility and methodology are highly questionable, however, and the basis for their claim that the Dogon were aware of Sirius B is especially vague. It is derived solely from the fact that they had a mask ceremony in which a new mask was created every 60 years. This 60-year period was equated by the ethnographer to the orbital period of Sirius B, as it was then calculated by astronomers. (The orbital period is known today to be 51 years).

Why do people insist on posting this badly-researched rubbish that wastes everyone's time?

Edited by Emma_Acid_88

You think they're trying to tell us something?!

linked-image

linked-image

Wait so cannibis is greek for canine/dog and there was a goddess worshiping tribe called the dogons who had knowledge about sirius aka the two dog star.This sounds like it has more to do with dogs than ets.Where do ets come into this?

Another badly researched, jumping-the-gun post.

No it doesn't. Do some research. The earliest use is in the Sumerian language - "kanubi", which means 'cane of two (sexes)'. Not "canine", CANE.

Every other hebrew meaning translates as being to do with "reeds" or "canes". Nothing to do with dogs.

There is no evidence that they were "cannabis-loving". Cannabis was sold between the middle east and asia along well troden trade routes. How the Dogon would have got hold of it is beyond me, and not mentioned in any resource.

Given that Herodotus died in 425 BC, I find this highly unlikely. There is also no evidence that he travelled to Mali. The Dogon first came to light thanks to the work of Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen.

From wiki:

Why do people insist on posting this badly-researched rubbish that wastes everyone's time?

you just deciphered it. that was a waste of time... i simply just posted an excerpt from another author. I never said it was true i said it was interesting. Now the fact that you say i insist on wasting your time is a little funny because the internet in itself is a big waste of time 99% of the time. Now i apologize that you lost 5 minutes to read yet ANOTHER post but you chose to examine the article a little too close and that my friend may be a bigger problem then me wasting everyones time.

oh and i know i should have posted this in the astrology thread but it was pretty early in the morning...

what i find humerous is the "Since when did this have anything to do with ETs? question.

Even if the whole cannabis angle is blown out of proportion the very fact that they have knowledge of a star system that is invisble to the naked eye tells you that someone or something told them about it. and that is were ET would come into play.