Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Server hardware upgrade

Saru

We're going to be moving to two new and more powerful servers later on this week, our aging Pentium 4 servers are being replaced with Dual Core Xeon boxes with SCSI hard drives. This move is aimed at combating the slowness and high server loads of recent months, which have been causing page timeouts, 'server busy' messages and other problems. Unexplained Mysteries is now receiving 50% more traffic than it was when the servers we are using now were originally set up, and this upgrade is crucial to help support the site's continued growth.

This coincides nicely with the 6th birthday of the Unexplained Mysteries web site, the site went live for the first time on the 6th March 2001. Since then we've progressed from a small shared hosting account accomodating a few thousand visitors a month to the site as it is today which requires two dedicated servers to accomodate over half a million unique visitors a month, and we're still growing.

I'll post up a notice before the server move takes place however there should be no site downtime associated with the transfer. :tu:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Lotus Flower

• nativechick1989

• coldethyl

Ok. I have no problem with that, Saruman. ^_^

Okie Dokie Boss ... hope all goes well with the move .. :tu:

Nice to hear- those 'server is too busy' messages are beginning to annoy me. Lets just hope all goes well. Im glad to hear there's gonna be no down time- hopefully. :D Good Luck. ;)

Yippie!

Congrats and good luck!

I'm sending out my best vibes!

Will it affect those of us still using 286 machines? lol only kidding :D

I cannot WAIT for this to happen.

I'm getting those errors constantly.

Thank god....

No, thank SaRuMaN.

Quick question from a technophobe idiot (namely me lol), when this move takes place will the site be down, if so, for how long approximately - too long and I will get withdrawal symptoms lol.

The site will not have to be taken down for the transfer, the forum may be closed for about five or ten minutes for the database server switch, but thats all.

Five or ten minutes??? *has palpatations*

Just kidding.

Amazing all that can be done in such a small amount of time.

Excellent. I was getting annoyed losing posts because of timeout errors.

But now with the upgrade I will be most pleased.

The site will not have to be taken down for the transfer, the forum may be closed for about five or ten minutes for the database server switch, but thats all.

Ahh excellent, I'll just wait then :lol:

Update

The new servers are taking a bit longer than expected to be set up, the main reason being that our server provider neglected to run the cable that connects the two and now i'm having to chase them up about it.

Depending on how long they take to do this it may be a few days yet before the move can take place.

Thanks for the update ... :tu:

Although the errors haven't really effected me, it'll be nice having an upgrade.

B)

I cannot WAIT for this to happen.

I'm getting those errors constantly.

Same here.

I keep getting "Busy server" message. Annoying.

Update

After a lot of messing about we finally got the servers set up as originally ordered. The initial server move will be taking place tomorrow, the forum will be closed for a very short spell so that the database can be moved. The main site will then be moved over the course of a couple of days but will not result in any downtime.

I'll keep this thread updated as progress is made. Our sister site ghost-mysteries.com will be getting transferred tonight to iron out any teething problems before the main server move goes ahead.

Sweet .... hope the switch goes well :tu: then we'll all be sitting pretty. :D

Update

The database is now transferred and the move is currently in progress.

Would that explain the "Great Success/ Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server" screen I get when I try and load UM - although loading the Forum via google I bypass that screen.

That page was up for about five minutes earlier today, you must be viewing a cached version of it in your browser. Try refreshing the page a couple of times or clear your browser's temporary internet files.