Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is time travel possible ?

UM-Bot

user posted image rOne of the most replayed commercials on television right now is the DirecTV ad with Doc Brown from Back to the Future. Doc, we learn, has forgotten to tell Marty McFly to buy DirecTV in the future. Never mind that the 1955 version of Doc never traveled through time, and therefore wouldn't know about DirecTV. More importantly, how's that whole time machine thing coming? When can we rev up the DeLorean and, like Marty, go to our parent's high school dance with our mother?Never.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Smithsonian Magazine

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Ship

• St Q

• Aaron Whisman

• Unlimited

If it is possible, wouldn't someone from the future already have visited us and told us the success? Time travel's a really iffy topic with me..but yeah, if it is possible, then someone from the future would have came back some time and told someone. Which could be possible if they only told like..the government or something..Who knows what all they're hiding..

personally, I believe time travel to be complete fiction...time is unique... it's now...now and never again..

personally, I believe time travel to be complete fiction...time is unique... it's now...now and never again..

Yup yup. This exact moment will never exist again! ... I think..^_^

If it is possible, wouldn't someone from the future already have visited us and told us the success? Time travel's a really iffy topic with me..but yeah, if it is possible, then someone from the future would have came back some time and told someone. Which could be possible if they only told like..the government or something..Who knows what all they're hiding..

well, this is just the issue which was described in the article. Time traveling (theoreticaly) will be possible only AFTER someone invents this "time machine". AND in the future, we will be able to travel no further-back then the date in which it was first turned on...

What barrier would exist in space time that would prevent going back before the machine was made? Maybe a juxtaposition of reality's would occure and you wouldn't exist anymore and yet you would have gone back in time only to die as your very essence was erased from time. I wonder what that would feel like? Then when you died all the events that you did in your life would be erased and everyone who knew you would be left with this strange gap in there memory and they might all go crazy. :wacko:

Perhaps time, even though it passes on to the future constantly, is not erased forever. Maybe it can be played back somehow and viewed with some kind of science and technology. But i agree in that it's not possible to go back in time and manipulate events that would change the future. If that were possible then all of space and time would literally change by every tiny little action you took in the past. And all of space and time would have to reorganise itself simply because you decided to go back in time to buy a blue car instead of a red car(example).

Have a nice day.

Edited by Dark_Ambient

"Here's the catch: The time machine only allows someone to travel as far back as when the machine was first activated. Since no time traveler has shown up yet—check-out aisle tabloids notwithstanding—no such machine has yet been invented.These are the boundaries of time travel. If the machine is left on forever, you can travel forward forever, but you can't go back before the machine was built."

That sounds a bit similar to the concept that was used in the movie Primer. Look it up on Wikipedia, interesting movie if you haven't seen it.

Time travel is possible, but light speed is needed. Whether, you wish to believe it or not, man is 10 years from developing "star drive".

you can travel forward forever, but you can't go back before the machine was built.

Honestly, I wanna believe that to be complete rubbish! :no:

When I think of time travel, I think of people materializing into the past without problems.

Why would time travellers from the future want to make themselves known to the whole world. Imagine it like a novel. Ten or fiftenn people meet someone with a time machine from the future. Amazing things happen and adventures take place but still the whole world would never know about it and the people involved would never tell because no one would believe them anyway. Saying "If time travel is possible then why havent time travellers from the future come yet" is hardely a valid statement.

It may have happend hundreds of times and all those so called 'crackpots ' might actually be telling the truth. But don't get me wrong. Even i don't believe them.

i think you can time travel if u move slightly above the speed of light. i'm just not sure you would be able to interact with people. Itd be more like watching a movie

A- - - - - - - - - - - - ->E

(planet) (Light) (earth)

if you can move toward the source of light(planet, star, w/e) faster than it is giving off light...... :wacko: blew a circuit..

i think you can time travel if u move slightly above the speed of light. i'm just not sure you would be able to interact with people. Itd be more like watching a movie

A- - - - - - - - - - - - ->E

(planet) (Light) (earth)

if you can move toward the source of light(planet, star, w/e) faster than it is giving off light...... :wacko: blew a circuit..

:innocent: The de Broglie wave travels faster than the speed of light. The formula is C^2/v, where v is the ordinary velocity of the associated particle. (A de Broglie wave always has an associated particle, which it guides.) The de Broglie wave for a particle traveling at 1 cm/sec would be 9*10^20 cm/sec, and would cross the visible universe in a few weeks, I think. Oddly enough as v goes faster, the speed of the de Broglie wave goes slower, until they exactly coincide for a photon.

~~~Cebrakon

Time travel is possible we just have to know how to work with it.

If time travel becomes possible I would think we could only travel to the past and then back.

Because the future does not exist until we create it by the choices that we make.

But then when you return I guess it would be in the future because of the time that passed while you were in the past that is unless you returned to the exact moment you departed.

Edited by mfrmboy

Time travel, when you put alot of though into the logic, makes your brain hurt! Erased memories, added memories, history altering... @_@ So many things to ponder about. I think time travel is a bit too complex for man to be fooling with.

Also, some people say we won't see time travelers come into our timeline even if time travel will be evented one day, because going back in time goes into another "alternate universe" or something. Well, here's a problem with that: The time traveler, regardless of where he goes, IS going into "some reality", so the people in that reality will meet time travelers. So, what makes our reality the "true" reality, and the only one where we won't experience people coming back in time? Why are we not one of those "alternate realities" in which a time traveler ends up in?

If time travel becomes possible I would think we could only travel to the past and then back. 
Because the future does not exist until we create it by the choices that we make.

But then when you return I guess it would be in the future because of the time that passed while you were in the past that is unless you returned to the exact moment you departed.

Interesting thought. So the mere fact of travelling in the past means that future events will be altered just by your presence there which means travelling in the past IS travelling in the future.

I cant wrap my mind around this other thought yet but heres the jist of it.

Time travelling in the future may be a lot more possible then travelling in the past because i think that since past events have already happened it would be a lot harder to alter space time that is already set in shape by the events that occured. But since the future isn't made yet, perhaps there's an easier route to get there somehow. A future of 'what if's 'maybe that determins the most likely outcome of events. A place were one can travel in time and see what might happen but not be able to manipulate even if they see and touch it.

Edited by Dark_Ambient

I don't think it's possible to move backward along a timeline. However, it may be possible to manipulate your timeline in such a way that you may appear to someone else as going back in their time. I believe timelines can be increased and decreased, stretched and compressed, and even paused (stopped and restarted), but I can't image how anyone could actually reverse their own timeline. Your present time, regardless of how advanced or retarded it is compared to others, is always with you. No matter where you go, there you are.

wanna travel in time, get on a bike, and ride, look forward it,s you future, look back, is't your past,

Cool B)

Would time travel constitute as in being in a time that you are not supposed to be in? If so, then traveling at the speed of light would slow you down with relation to the objects around you that are not moving at the speed of light. As you travel faster, your time slows down, but the time in the universe is constant. So, in relation to you, time is faster. So after a while, whenever you stop, you would be in a time that is ahead of where you are supposed to be. Is this time travel?

Would time travel constitute as in being in a time that you are not supposed to be in? If so, then traveling at the speed of light would slow you down with relation to the objects around you that are not moving at the speed of light. As you travel faster, your time slows down, but the time in the universe is constant. So, in relation to you, time is faster. So after a while, whenever you stop, you would be in a time that is ahead of where you are supposed to be. Is this time travel?
Yes, we can travel to a future time. Astronauts do it all the time. Compared to them, the earth and all onboard are a few minutes older.