Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

To All Who Believe In Ghostly Spirits

Guest Guest

Anyone had ghostly encounter before? Well, I'm not for sure if my encounter is what you'd call ghostly. But my expeience about 2 years ago leads me to believe in spirits. I was at one of my good friends house staying the night. When she was about 5 yrs. old her father had died in her living room because of a heartattack. And the woman who had previously lived in the house before my friend did had shot herself in the head. In my friends mom's bedroom. Anyways, we were in my friend's bedroom watching t.v. and all of a sudden the kitchen lights flicker off, then a few seconds later they came back on. We just igonored it, not thinking anything of it. We went to bed there was no one else in the house besides us 2. Later we heard noises such as people walking up and down the stairs. My friend has even claimed to have seen a spirtual figure of her father standing in the entrance to her living room, but I don't know I've never seen that. What makes me believe these things is because her house use to be an old coalminor's house about 80 to 90 some years ago. And the whole town she lives in (called Auxier) was at one time an old mining town. It may not be her father or the woman who killed herself in the house, but I do indeed believe that it could be possibly the spirits of people who lived there years ago. I don't know what's happening in the house, all I know is that I haven't stayed there since.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamie

• SpaceyKC

• Magikman

• Loonboy

I have to admit that with age comes the dawn of enlightenment and the rise of skepticism regarding some subjects, i.e.; UFO's, Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, etc. There are other paranormal topics, however, that are harder to rationalize and explain away scientifically, and one of them is the sighting of ghosts. The Mystery of death is a highly controversial subject, whether viewed from one's own religious, cultural or personal beliefs. Yes, many photographs have been faked and/or altered, but I don't think photographic evidence is at the core of someone believing in the existence of ghosts. For me, and I'm sure for many others, it was a highly personal experience that happened to them that led to their conversion. Trauma, medical conditions, tricks of light, atmospheric conditions, and any number of other anomalies can help explain some of the more impersonal "ghostly encounters", but that does not apply to my experience. It hurts a bit even now to think about it, but this is my story.....

I lost my father to a heart attack a little more than four years ago. At the time he was living in New Mexico with my mother. A hysterical phone call from a younger sister had me on a plane the same day, but my dad passed away long before I arrived. The next couple days were spent with funeral arrangements and waiting for the rest of the family to travel to New Mexico. The wake was held at a local funeral home, and about half way through the visitation I had gone outside to smoke. On my way back into the building, I noticed something different about the display board that was filled with pictures of my dad portraying various times in his life. There had been a picture of him with his youngest granddaughter on the board, but now there was only an empty space where it had been. I looked around the floor where the pictures where set on a table, but didn't see anything. As I began to look elsewhere, I caught movement coming from another visitation room out of the corner of my eye. I moved about two steps into the semi-darkened room and froze. Not more than 20 feet away stood my father. As plain as day, no shimmering, misty version of him, but an unmistakable three dimensional entity. The shock took my breath away, and then the expression on his face went from an almost natural everyday look to one of utter despair. At the same time I felt a tug on my suit coat sleeve and I just about lept out of my skin. I looked over and down, and there stood my 5 year old niece looking in the same direction I had been just one-second earlier. She looked up at me and said "Grampa looks sad." I turned to where I had just seen my dad and he was gone. By now I was shaking like a leaf and was glad to even have a five year old there to hold onto. I picked her up and gave her a big hug, explaining to her that grampa was sad because he missed her.

The next couple days were difficult, not only because of my father's death, but because of what I saw. I made no mention of the incident to anyone else, and I returned home with a feeling of unease. Two months later my little 5 year old niece drowned in my sisters swimming pool. I thought I had seen something in my fathers hand that day at the funeral home. I think it was the missing photograph.

Magikman

• 7 months later...

Magikman,

Thants such a sad story. :(  Do you think he was trying to warn you about her?

I have a ghost story too.  When I was growing up I lived on a farm.  Our farm house was more than 150 years old.  It was built in the 1820's.  My parents were told that when the house was built it was used as a funeral parlor.  Growing up in this house was very creepy.  My parents claimed they never heard anything, but my brother, sister and I all did all the time.  We heard a ball roll down the stairs from the second floor and hit the door right by where we were sitting in the living room countless times.  Everytime we would open the door there was no ball there.  

My sister had one thing happen to her that I will never forget.  She had just gotten home from school adn there was no one home.  She went into my parents room, sat on the bed and turned on the tv.  Then she heard someone in the kitchen.  She thought it was our mom so she started calling her.  She didnt get an answer back.  So she put her feet on the floor to go see who was in the kitchen and something grabbed her leg from under the bed.  She ran into the kitchen for help and there was no one in the kitchen.  She ran outside and stood in the driveway till someone go home.  My brother and I were the first to get home.  She was crying hysterically and shaking.  We went back into the house and investigated.  There was nothing to be found, but we all knew it was the ghosts.  

This happened about 12 years ago and my sister still wont talk about it.

Jamie

Oh, your poor sister! I can only imagine what she went through!  That's like what you always think is gonna happen at night, when you have to go to bed, and it's dark, and you KNOW something is in the room!!! That's why I learned real early, you be sure and keep the covers pulled up!!!(I really believed they would protect me) ::)

I know what you mean.  I used to believe that as long as I couldnt see them they couldnt see me so I would pull the covers over my head and leave a little hole so I could breathe and then I was safe.  :)

LOL! I never thought about making a hole to breathe.  I guess cause in the summer it got so hot, I reasoned that it was still 'officially safe' to just pull the sheets up to my neck!! :P

Do you think parents ever realize(or remember) the things kids (IMAGINE) they have to deal with?

I know my mom does.  She still laughs about some of the stuff we used to do when we were kids.  She likes to tell us stories about when we were young and we are always like we never did that.   ;D

Magicman,

That is such a tragic story...

I lost my Dad at an early age, and always wanted a ghostly visit from him. Now I'm not so sure.

Dalia

Jamie & Dalia,

Imagine, if you can, the profound sense of guilt I feel because of this incident. It is a burden I wouldn’t wish on anyone, for its effect is extremely debilitating. The clarity of the moment was far too real to me to pass off as an illusion, and the subsequent tragedy of my niece’s death only enhanced my feeling of responsibility.  The saddest part was that I didn’t immediately understand the implied message from my father. The loss of someone so young is heart wrenching and traumatic and the fact that I might have been able to do something to prevent it haunts me to this day.

Since than I have done some research trying to find some plausible answers. Some reports deal with the mystery of the human mind and its uncharted capabilities. There is another thread in the forum that touches on one strong possibility. It deals with someone’s ability to unconsciously ‘sense’ a spiritual presence. Was it the stress of the occasion that had something to do with my ability to ‘see’ my dad or something within my mind that allowed me to ‘perceive’ my fathers’ presence? There are studies that suggest children show a much higher degree of perceptibility than adults, due to the development and growth of their brain. Could it have been my nieces’ presence that set off the encounter?  The highly personal aspect of the subject causes me much agony at times. I will continue my search for answers, for that is my nature.

Magikman

• 3 months later...

:(

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear that story, Magikman. What an awful experience.

I want to comment upon children bearing witness to strange things.

I think that children are more open to the things around them without preconceptions or prejudice and that is why they have these experiences. As we mature we are exposed to the opinions of others, the traditional accepted beliefs, peer pressure and other forms of mental imprisonment if you will. I think our openness is gradually narrowed, which is a great trajedy.

Some people are resistant to this civilised weathering and retain their extra sensory skills. But not all.

If you want to know what the human mind is capable of experiencing, look to children to show you the way.

:)