Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real pain in a dream...

dog soldier

Has anyone had this experience? I know people dream they have died. But has anyone dreamed of being physically hurt and actually felt the pain? I was once stabbed in my leg in a dream. I was standing on a chair, and this person run up and stabbed me near my ankle. I immediately felt the searing pain. I saw the blood. I woke up crying out in pain. I was told it's not possible, but I believe. Anyone else?

Yep. Happened to me last night as a matter of fact. I have been bitten in the same spot twice by a spider. I don't currently have a bite there but in my dream I did and someone was touching it and I felt the pain.

Not the first time and I don't think it will be the last time.

I got stung by some weird mosquito-like creatures and that hurt, happened more than once aswell but with different things. I also get what I call "Breathing Dreams". In these, I feel myself unable to breathe in the dream and it's really scary. I don't automatically wake up either. I think I nearly died a few times cause of it... :unsure2:

I remember one of my dreams whereby somebody stuck a syringe in my thigh. I remember it hurt, in fact when I awoke I was so convinced it was real that I was worried that whatever drugs had been in the syringe were actually really in my body when I was awake lol.

I remember one of my dreams whereby somebody stuck a syringe in my thigh. I remember it hurt, in fact when I awoke I was so convinced it was real that I was worried that whatever drugs had been in the syringe were actually really in my body when I was awake lol.

Yes this has happened to me too. I had a dream that someone was trying to saw off my arm and I felt the pain. And when I awoke I felt a very extremely painful sharp pain across my arm.

I have had pain in dreams. For instance I dreamt once I got shot in the chest with a machine gun. When I woke up i couldnt breath and man did my chest hurt. After I calmed down though I was more concerned with who shot me. It was my big brother. I wonder what that means. :unsure2:

Yeah, def possible. I have them all the time. I routinely incorporate my real pain into my dreams and most times it is bad enough to wake me.

Of course you can feel pain in dreams. Theres several reasons for it...

One might be that it isnt the DREAM thats causing pain, but the other way around. If you have a sudden muscle cramp in your sleep, you might dream someone is hurting you. Its the same thing as when a sound (like the phone or alarm clock) is incorporated into a dream. (alarm clock goes off but you dream its the buzzer at the end of a basketball game you singlehandedly won against an all star team of gerbils. in reality, your calf muscle spasms, and in your dream, the team captain gerbil runs up and slams you in the leg with a croquet bat.) In this case, you might still feel the cramp when you wake up, but in your sleepy state, attribute it to the thug gerbil basketball player.

Another possibility is that you physically do not feel the pain, but your mind tricks you into thinking you do. I mean, your brain tricks you every night, making you believe youre dreams are reality when you are in them (most of the time.) Your sense of sight is fooled, when you are dreaming, into thinking that things you SEE are real, your sense of hearing is fooled into thinking you are HEARING something real. (Your brain THOUGHT you were seeing gerbils but you werent really, your brain THOUGHT you were hearing the sounds of the crowd cheering and the squeak of shoe soles on the floor, but you didnt hear them really. You thought you could feel the bat hit your calf and your leg hurt, but you didnt really.) Why would your brain not be able to fool your sense of touch and pain as well? So, you wake up and think you remember feeling pain, but its just your brain tricking you.

Im not saying these are the ONLY reasons you would feel pain in your sleep, but these reasons probably account for alot of examples. ^_^

• Like 1

^ Exactly. Usually if I feel pain in a dream I wake up and there is real pain involved. Usually with me a dog is asleep on one of my limbs. Ouchies.

Of course you can feel pain in dreams. Theres several reasons for it...

One might be that it isnt the DREAM thats causing pain, but the other way around. If you have a sudden muscle cramp in your sleep, you might dream someone is hurting you. Its the same thing as when a sound (like the phone or alarm clock) is incorporated into a dream. (alarm clock goes off but you dream its the buzzer at the end of a basketball game you singlehandedly won against an all star team of gerbils. in reality, your calf muscle spasms, and in your dream, the team captain gerbil runs up and slams you in the leg with a croquet bat.) In this case, you might still feel the cramp when you wake up, but in your sleepy state, attribute it to the thug gerbil basketball player.

Another possibility is that you physically do not feel the pain, but your mind tricks you into thinking you do. I mean, your brain tricks you every night, making you believe youre dreams are reality when you are in them (most of the time.) Your sense of sight is fooled, when you are dreaming, into thinking that things you SEE are real, your sense of hearing is fooled into thinking you are HEARING something real. (Your brain THOUGHT you were seeing gerbils but you werent really, your brain THOUGHT you were hearing the sounds of the crowd cheering and the squeak of shoe soles on the floor, but you didnt hear them really. You thought you could feel the bat hit your calf and your leg hurt, but you didnt really.) Why would your brain not be able to fool your sense of touch and pain as well? So, you wake up and think you remember feeling pain, but its just your brain tricking you.

Im not saying these are the ONLY reasons you would feel pain in your sleep, but these reasons probably account for alot of examples. ^_^

Da#$ them gerbils. They are tricky and quick little buggers. Not to mention poor losers. Anyway very good points SunDog.

^ Exactly. Usually if I feel pain in a dream I wake up and there is real pain involved. Usually with me a dog is asleep on one of my limbs. Ouchies.

That's similar to when you lay on say, your arm all night, you awake, can't feel your arm and end up clouting yourself on the nose lol. Trouble is, it feels like someone else has done it!

Yes I've had those dreams. I had one the other night where I was doubled up in pain only to wake to rush to the bathroom with a stomach bug. Sometimes it's laying in a funny position and getting a cramp which then translate to pain in your dream.

It makes sense though, people can have pleasure in their dreams and wake with the remnants of that, so why not pain?

I feel pain and other sensations in my dreams all the time. A few nights ago I had a dream that we crashed into a tree (I just realized this was a night or two before my dad crashed into a tree on saturday, breaking his collarbone, lol) and I could feel my guts geting pulled and pushed around, hurt, sucked. And another night this week I dream of swallowing my hair and I tried pulling it out but it wouldnt come out ( I have very long hair) so I tried swallowing it and no go, woke up with the same feeling. Maybe I swallowed my hair :3

I have had pain in my dreams I think most of the ones where I got hurt I felt pain in. Once I had a dream about vampires and one bit my arm and I had bit my arm in real life.

I remember posting about this a long time ago, but didnt really seem to get an explanation. One particular dream was that I was trying to catch this mouse with my bare hands and it kept biting at me.

I have only one incident of this. In my dream i was running in a park and my ear some how slammed into a slide and when i woke up i felt a huge pain in my ear. turns out i had an ear infection lol

Ehh my dreams with pain suck lol. The latest one was probably due to the count of monte cristo (the movie) , I saw it and I thought I was Zatarra :P. But I got stabbed by a dagger and I just froze there, staring at the blade as it was pushed in deeper at my stomach.

My other dream was when I stuck my finger in my throat to touch my tounsels (sp?). I gagged but I then I hurled blood. I kept hurling blood, I could taste it and I could also feel my guts going UP my throat. I hurled them too but since they were attached by veins/string type of things they didnt fall, they just hanged there from my throat, with the vein/string thing attached. I had to swallow it again :(. Ehh... dreams...

I don't think you actually feel pain in your dream.

I think that you feel pain in real life, like a cramp, and in your dream, it's something else instead.

Like, the famous alarm clock.

It rings in real life, and in your dream, it's something like a phone that rings.

It might also be something with your mind, if you really believe that it's happening.

saw myself fall offa high cliff - landed on my back and felt all my bones were broken -

as jelly -just layed there - i felt no pain - hearing just loud echo of my heartbeat....

very next day, was cutting limbs in oak tree and branch gave way - i fell on my back -

and just layed there - i felt no pain - hearing just loud echo of my heartbeat --

had broken my wrist -

yes ive had a similar thing happen to me, i was dreaming i got stabbed in the leg by a hooded being and felt the pain in the dream and then my leg jerked and it hurt and i woke up...its was wierd...

I remember posting about this a long time ago, but didnt really seem to get an explanation. One particular dream was that I was trying to catch this mouse with my bare hands and it kept biting at me.

I had a dream like this before except I was trying to ward off a bee. I punched it hard a few times but it still managed to sting me, and it wasn't a pleasant feeling. Around the time that happened, I had a huge fear of bees and wasps but I was slowly starting to become alright near them. But around that time, I heard a bee buzzing as it flew past my ear and I ducked, rolled and ran a tiny bit to get away. :rolleyes: So this is why the bee probably always stings me in my dreams, because I thought I was getting rid of the fear but it keeps coming back. Maybe yours is something similar except it's more like a goal because you're trying to catch it. (I'm not as afraid anymore and I haven't had a bee dream in ages!) :D

I don't think you actually feel pain in your dream.

I think that you feel pain in real life, like a cramp, and in your dream, it's something else instead.

Like, the famous alarm clock.

It rings in real life, and in your dream, it's something like a phone that rings.

It might also be something with your mind, if you really believe that it's happening.

This happened to me with lightning. I saw a flaah in my dream and when I turned around (in my dream), somebody was using a camera (flash off a camera) and within a second or few, I woke up due to extremely loud thunder. (Literally jumped out of bed, I thought some buidling was collpasing or a bomb exploded. Adrenaline was high!)

I've been stabbed and shot before in dreams, only to wake up with horrible pain in the same locations. It goes away after awhile, but it just shows how closely the mind is connected to the body- that if your mind thinks you've just been hurt, your body will too. Pretty wild!