Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astrology: Setting the record straight

UM-Bot

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eagle Eye

• badeskov

• Alara

• Lilly

Hey, that's ok if you've taught your version of what you think constitutes "science" but that has nothing to do with Science as a whole, ok? And, you have been debating me ~ and not very well at that. Don't expect me to have to read your comments on Astrology stated as fact well at all since I find your knowledge base so suspect as to not be funny. You've made statements as if they are fact ~ when they are not Lilly ~ and you should know better.

Again, you seem to confuse terms. Or maybe it is just because you want Astrology to be called science, even if it is not. Science is a methodology, a set of rules that you use to describe and predict the observable universe, which we live in. Scientific theories are used to make predictions that can be independently tested and verified. To do this the experiments made to support the theory must be reproducible.

You are basing your Astrology "science" on something that cannot be independently tested and verified, which obviously tells you that it isn't science.

As for Badeskov, he can speak for himself.

Thanks, I appreciate the confidence. And, yes, normally I can speak for myself. And why do I think you are wrong? Because you are basing your predictions on something you can't even measure. You cannot measure the magnetic flux density from the sun and the planets here on Earth without extremely expensive and sensitive equipment, actually for the planets not at all. And the so called modulation of the sun's magnetic field by the other celestial bodies, not a chance. Fluctuations in the sun's magnetic field itself in addition to all kinds of other perturbations incurred completely drown this out.

By the way, do you know the magnetic flux density from the sun actually is?

Best,

Badeskov

I personally rely on my lucky mood ring myself. There's nothing like this to shut you "scientific types" up. :lol:

Oh d..., the infamous lucky mood ring ;)

Best,

Badeskov

Again, you seem to confuse terms. Or maybe it is just because you want Astrology to be called science, even if it is not. Science is a methodology, a set of rules that you use to describe and predict the observable universe, which we live in. Scientific theories are used to make predictions that can be independently tested and verified. To do this the experiments made to support the theory must be reproducible.

You are basing your Astrology "science" on something that cannot be independently tested and verified, which obviously tells you that it isn't science.

Thanks, I appreciate the confidence. And, yes, normally I can speak for myself. And why do I think you are wrong? Because you are basing your predictions on something you can't even measure. You cannot measure the magnetic flux density from the sun and the planets here on Earth without extremely expensive and sensitive equipment, actually for the planets not at all. And the so called modulation of the sun's magnetic field by the other celestial bodies, not a chance. Fluctuations in the sun's magnetic field itself in addition to all kinds of other perturbations incurred completely drown this out.

By the way, do you know the magnetic flux density from the sun actually is?

Best,

Badeskov

As a classical astrologer and astrometeorologist I continually monitor the fluxes of the Sun, and its activity, as well as the positions of the planets relative to the Earth to forecast weather and climate conditions. There are plenty of scientific organizations that monitor the magnetic fluxes of the Sun on a daily basis. This data is easily available on the Internet as well.

Astrological princips have been scientifically tested many times ~ from the studies of Michael Gauquelin, the National Council for Geocosmic Research, the work of C.G. Jung, to the works of Professor A.L. Chizhevskiy and V. Desyatov and many other scientific works that have proven the correlation of solar, lunar, and planetary bodies to geophysical and metaphysical events on Earth.

The real advances in legitimizing astrology have been made by non-astrologers, outside the field itself, who have taken the time, and the effort to see for themselves before passing judgements. The only problem is that you haven't read any of these texts as of yet, and until you do, you only have your ignorance to count on, and that isn't enough, nor valid, to support your own assertions.

As for your statement ~ "You are basing your Astrology "science" on something that cannot be independently tested and verified, which obviously tells you that it isn't science" ~ you would be wrong again. I forecast weather months in advance using astrological princips. Please don't tell me what I "want" since you haven't a clue as to what I want and do not want. Also, don't confuse your own personal biases with how things are done astrologically in the real world Badeskov.

Edited by Theodore

Is Astrology Relevant to Consciousness and Psi? Geoffrey Dean and Ivan Kelly (pdf).

Discussion of the recent study by Dr. Peter Hartmann in Science News.

For a general discussion of studies see these sites: Great Moments in Science and Astronomical Society of the Pacific.

All these links have little to do with the scientific study of Astrology, and are no more than mere bias, assumptions, and bad science. The so-called "questions" posed clearly reveal the stupidity and lack of knowledge of those posing them, and again, is more evidence of the pop-astrology mindset of those presenting such silliness. I suggest you discover serious texts of scientific studies and refrain from reading the junk you've posted here Lily. And ~ if astrology is little more than "superstition" why would anyone even require a "study" at all to refute it in the first place? Words that make you go hmmm. Get real, ok?

Edited by Theodore

As a classical astrologer and astrometeorologist I continually monitor the fluxes of the Sun, and its activity, as well as the positions of the planets relative to the Earth to forecast weather and climate conditions. There are plenty of scientific organizations that monitor the magnetic fluxes of the Sun on a daily basis. This data is easily available on the Internet as well.

Sure there is (which one do you use by the way?).

Astrological princips have been scientifically tested many times ~ from the studies of Michael Gauquelin, the National Council for Geocosmic Research, the work of C.G. Jung, to the works of Professor A.L. Chizhevskiy and V. Desyatov and many other scientific works that have proven the correlation of solar, lunar, and planetary bodies to geophysical and metaphysical events on Earth.

Ahem, but not all of these can really be called scientific studies to the best of my knowledge. And the few that we can call scientific deal with large scale events, mainly stemming from sun spots and powerful solar flares.

The real advances in legitimizing astrology have been made by non-astrologers, outside the field itself, who have taken the time, and the effort to see for themselves before passing judgements. The only problem is that you haven't read any of these texts as of yet, and until you do, you only have your ignorance to count on, and that isn't enough, nor valid, to support your own assertions.

OK, so be it - I am an ignorant. But I am also a fairly well studied ignorant ;) Thus I still have a very had time imagining how the solar magnetic field can really influence anything. Well, I guess I will have to dig up some old books and look at that.

As for your statement ~ "You are basing your Astrology "science" on something that cannot be independently tested and verified, which obviously tells you that it isn't science" ~ you would be wrong again. I forecast weather months in advance using astrological princips.

That is very impressive; but I must respectfully say I do not think that you are correct. I find it very hard to believe that meteorologists have a very hard time predicting the weather a week in advance and you claim you can do it months in advance based on the position of celestial bodies.

Please don't tell me what I "want" since you haven't a clue as to what I want and do not want. Also, don't confuse your own personal biases with how things are done astrologically in the real world Badeskov.

I cannot tell what you want as I obviously do not know. But it is very obvious that you consider this a science, when it clearly is not.

Sure there is (which one do you use by the way?).

Ahem, but not all of these can really be called scientific studies to the best of my knowledge. And the few that we can call scientific deal with large scale events, mainly stemming from sun spots and powerful solar flares.

OK, so be it - I am an ignorant. But I am also a fairly well studied ignorant ;) Thus I still have a very had time imagining how the solar magnetic field can really influence anything. Well, I guess I will have to dig up some old books and look at that.

That is very impressive; but I must respectfully say I do not think that you are correct. I find it very hard to believe that meteorologists have a very hard time predicting the weather a week in advance and you claim you can do it months in advance based on the position of celestial bodies.

I cannot tell what you want as I obviously do not know. But it is very obvious that you consider this a science, when it clearly is not.

I use a number of scientific sites, European, and American to monitor the Sun's daily condition. Spaceweather.com is a good one for those just learning.

As for scientific studies ~ listen Badeskiv, anyone, and I mean anyone, who does not know some basic astrological principles ~ clearly have not done much reading. Why? Because, Classical Astrology is the oldest science known to mankind, and spawned many of the sciences taken for granted. Or, do you think that the last 6,000 years of human history is not worth it's weight in gold?

There are more books written on Astrology than any other topic, so, you will not have any problem finding serious scientific studies out there. Moreover, you can read the works of Plato, Ptolemy, Placidus, Brahe, Galileo, and Kepler for yourself. All of them, plus many, many more ~ classical astrologers.

As for the weather ~ I don't "claim" anything. I do it all the time. I've been forecasting climate & weather months in advance for many years applying astrological princips, known as astrometeorology. You see, classical astrologers invented that too. Meteorology is one of the earliest branches of astrology, or do you think that people who lived prior to 1900 had no need for long-term weather forecasts?

Johannes Kepler was one of the best, so my tutors made me study him, along with personal favorite, Benjamin Franklin, who was also a classical astrologer, and who forecasted weather months in advance himself ~ in the 1700s. Kepler did so in the 1600s. And you can go back much further in history and discover that the same was true of many classical astrologers. Who do you think invented meteorology in the first place? You do know where "meteors" come from, yes?

Forecasting the weather astronomically has been going on for thousands of years pal. It isn't new. I learned to do it when I was 10 years old and got better every year afterward. Brahe & Kepler really put it on the map with better ephemeris materials, and Kepler's famous work on planetary motions, mathematical arcs, etc., made it even easier to forecast advance weather astronomically.

Astrology saved agriculture, and developed it, since weather and growing food is closely related, and the classical astrologers forecasted weather months in advance ~ doing so astronomically. This is the reason for stellar cartography and the development of the scientific planetary ephemeris ~ the stable of every true astrologers forecasting work.

I learned meteorology at an early age. Along with astronomy, I learned how read an ephemeris. By knowing how to read one, you can forecast weather months in advance. It was normal where I came from, since Benjamin Franklin is very famous where I grew up. I also learned the science of conventional meteorology, but to forecast weather more accurately in the medium to long-term, astrometeorology is the best.

In your post above, you are talking about CONVENTIONAL meteorologists. Just like conventional scientists, many among them falsely believe that all that we know in the world started only 100-200 years ago. Man has been around much, much longer than that, so, to propose that conventional practicioners are king of the hill, so to speak, is too funny. There is not enough conventional legacy data to be certain of many more things than those sciences that contain legacy data of many centuries like that of classical scientific astrology.

I find it amusing that many conventional thinkers have problems with an omniscience like Astrology. But when you find out that they are talking about POP CULTURE ASTROLOGY ~ then all becomes very clear. Why in the world would educated people, with scientific degrees, believe that pop-culture astrology is really Astrology in the first place? :rolleyes:

Do you believe that the study of time & space ~ Astrology ~ is represented only by Sun-Sign newspaper and "I can tell your future" Astrology?

It is not.

I test so-called astrologers. I am a tough teacher. A tough astrologer. I do not trust anyone who calls themselves an "astrologer" to do any "predicting" for anyone unless they can show me that they can read an ephemeris, and say, forecast the weather for a region in the world a month or more in advance.

Studying astrology is one thing, and it takes time, but all my students learn to do three things FIRST when taught by a master astrologer ~

1. Learn to read an ephemeris

2. View the night skies, and learn astronomy

3. Forecast the weather ~ a month or more in advance

These three (3) things will make you an excellent astrologer, less prone to mistakes, and much more accurate than your run-of-the-mill "astrologers" out there.

If a qualified astrologer can forecast advance weather geophysically with 80% accuracy then that is the astrologer you will want for astrological guidance of one's own personal transits ~ your natal & progressed transits ~ and the transits of the future to come. Astrology is also a priori science, and gave birth to meteorology, which is a priori activity, that of forecasting the weather.

You should read more about classical scientific astrology, and the associated books on the history of astrology. It is our history, that means yours too. Being ignorant of it is like not knowing your own mother who gave birth to you. There's something missing for those who are not aware of their history. You would find it fascinating, and also, in the process, perhaps discover that forecasting in advance is not only possible, but probable.

And do me a favor along with anyone else who comes to the discussion on Astrology? Can you come to the discussion WITHOUT the POP-Astrology mindset? That would go a long way to improving the discussion, because those that come with this silly perspective, that ignorant view, make comments from a pre-school level on a subject that is POST GRADUATE ~ all the while making stupid statements like, "Yeah, astrology is crap" or "Nothing but a pseudo-science" or "not scientifically valid" and yada yada yada.

But you know what?

They haven't done a crumb of work. Very little reading on Astrology, except the sun-sign columns that constitute the bulk of their "knowledge" of the subject.

Yeah.

That makes them qualified to then pronounce publically that Astrology is mere junk? No, it does not. That dog does not hunt.

Asking good questions and wanting to learn is one thing. Posing pre-school questions and biased comments without any knowledge is another. So, discuss, sure, anytime, but let's not sound like first-graders, ok?

Edited by Theodore

Do you have to make people sound like numbskulls because dont agree with you?

No, you are doing fine all by yourself Ryo. Case in point ~ Asking good questions and wanting to learn is one thing. Posing pre-school questions and biased comments without any knowledge is another. So, discuss, sure, anytime, but let's not sound like first-graders, ok? :rolleyes:

Edited by Theodore

Do you have to make people sound like numbskulls because dont agree with you?

I think Theodore is just pointing out that people who try to discuss astrology have little of no knowledge of what astrology actaully is. Pop astrology is the only "version" of astrology most people are familiar with today and they aren't aware of that when they try to discuss it. :)

Edit: and I think the discussion so far has been civilised. But of course I could be biased. ^_^

I respect badeskov and I think that he is being very polite, respectful and not one bit rude but I'm with Theodore here. I really wish real astrology was well known and that its popular version becomes nothing but an old forgotten joke.

Edited by Alara

... And ~ if astrology is little more than "superstition" why would anyone even require a "study" at all to refute it in the first place? Words that make you go hmmm. Get real, ok?

Science looks at all claims equally and openly, then comes the experimentation which must be independently tested and verified. This is where Astrology fails, the claims Astrology makes simply do not survive rigorous scientific analysis. The studies that I posted (that you call nonsense) are the results of the application of such testing and analysis.

You say that Astrology can predict the weather? Ok, then tell me why the National Weather Service does not employ Astrologers? If Astrologers can foretell the future why aren't they richer than Bill Gates and Warren Buffett rolled into one? Why bother with espionage and intelligence gathering...just use an Astrologer! In fact, why even bother with diagnostic medicine, just go to an Astrologer and be told what illnesses lie in your future and engage in prophalactic treatment before you even get sick!

The bottom line: You can call me a 1st grader all you please, but it's like my Dad used to say, "The proof is in the pudding." If Astrology worked in the manner you describe Astrologers would be ruling the world. We all know information of the kind you describe would be very powerful. Delving into the past (a time when the science of Astronomy was yet to be removed from Astrology) doesn't cut it either. The brilliant accomplishments of the people cited were scientific in nature. When I last checked Kepler and Franklin were not famous for their divinations.

I'm beginning to see that this is about as productive as discussing 'Intelligent Design' with a New Earth Creationist. No matter how much evidence to the contrary is presented such people will continue to slap the 'scientific label' on their faith based beliefs.

Science looks at all claims equally and openly, then comes the experimentation which must be independently tested and verified. This is where Astrology fails, the claims Astrology makes simply do not survive rigorous scientific analysis. The studies that I posted (that you call nonsense) are the results of the application of such testing and analysis.

You say that Astrology can predict the weather? Ok, then tell me why the National Weather Service does not employ Astrologers? If Astrologers can foretell the future why aren't they richer than Bill Gates and Warren Buffett rolled into one? Why bother with espionage and intelligence gathering...just use an Astrologer! In fact, why even bother with diagnostic medicine, just go to an Astrologer and be told what illnesses lie in your future and engage in prophalactic treatment before you even get sick!

The bottom line: You can call me a 1st grader all you please, but it's like my Dad used to say, "The proof is in the pudding." If Astrology worked in the manner you describe Astrologers would be ruling the world. We all know information of the kind you describe would be very powerful. Delving into the past (a time when the science of Astronomy was yet to be removed from Astrology) doesn't cut it either. The brilliant accomplishments of the people cited were scientific in nature. When I last checked Kepler and Franklin were not famous for their divinations.

I'm beginning to see that this is about as productive as discussing 'Intelligent Design' with a New Earth Creationist. No matter how much evidence to the contrary is presented such people will continue to slap the 'scientific label' on their faith based beliefs.

Ask the National Weather Service. Not me. My private clients are well satisfied with my long-range range weather forecasts, that's all I can tell you. As for your knowledge of Astrology ~ it isn't there ~ so, your questions are not valid, nor are your comments on the topic. You would do better to spend as much time learning about true Astrology as you do stating your uninformed opinions on the subject Lilly.

I didn't call you a first grader. Read what I wrote and don't make things up to the point of taking something personally that was not meant to be directed personally at you. That isn't mature Lilly, and does not make your case on Astrology (or your lack of knowledge of Astrology) any more valid either.

You seem to be under the false impression that meteorology was invented only yesterday. Do you know where the practice of forecasting the weather came from, where it orginated? Try gaining a line on that one, and discover what the word "meteorology" means. You do know where meteors" come from?

And you need to learn more about Kepler & Franklin. I am an expert on both of these classical astrologers, so, I wouldn't go there if I were you. Kepler was an expert astrometeorologist, and Benjamin Franklin published his astrological forecasts (including the weather) for many decades in his almanacs. Once again Lilly, you need to trash that POP CULTURE astrology mindset you have and come correct with the real knowledge.

Read some serious books man, and give the BS a rest, ok dude? It isn't personal Lilly, but for the "teacher" that you say that you are, you certainly do not seem to be able to use a library card and do some real reading and study. Why is that?

Oh, I forgot, you already made up your mind on Astrology. Oh, ok then, be on your way. Why all the interest if astrology is crap to you, huh? Why should you care? You have no "evidence" ~ just your personal opinions ~ which are weak, uninformed, and so off the mark you are not even in the neighborhood of being anywhere near to the facts.

Just get real and come correct Lilly. Rather than making silly comments on something you know very little about, you'd be better served to enlarge your own knowledge base on Astrology and quit with the yik-yak, ok? You don't learn anything that way. Be a thinker. Not a stinker.

Edited by Theodore

Edit: and I think the discussion so far has been civilised. But of course I could be biased. ^_^

I respect badeskov and I think that he is being very polite, respectful and not one bit rude but I'm with Theodore here.

Thanks for the kind words, even if you are with Theodore on this one. I believe you are wrong, but that is just my point of view ;)

Best,

Badeskov

Thanks for the kind words, even if you are with Theodore on this one. I believe you are wrong, but that is just my point of view ;)

Best,

Badeskov

Don't be dismayed by having an authority on the subject of astrology comment on the the topic. There are professional astrologers and teachers in the world. You just happened to have run into a master astrologer that does not conform to the false views of astrology from a pop culture perspective.

Read some serious books man, and give the BS a rest, ok dude? It isn't personal Lilly, but for the "teacher" that you say that you are, you certainly do not seem to be able to use a library card and do some real reading and study. Why is that?

1) I'm a female, not a man or a *dude*.

2) I actually work at a library. I teach English as a second language and science for the GED (High School Diploma for adults).

3) For me *real* reading does not include Astrology. Astronomy yes, Astrology no. BTW, I'm not the only one with this opinion. I think you will be hard pressed to find any (living) mainstream scientists (not Astrologers) who will call Astrology a science.

"Just get real and come correct Theodore. Rather than making silly comments on something you know very little about, you'd be better served to enlarge your own knowledge base on Science and quit with the yik-yak, ok? You don't learn anything that way. Be a thinker. Not a stinker."

Best,

Badeskov

And you have every right to disagree and have your opinion. I had to say that you're being very polite in addressing this subject. A lot of us disagree on a lot of topics here. I'm just glad to see discussions that are civilised and respectful. :yes:

And I'm glad that, though we disagree, we can continue in a friendly manner. ^_^

My respect for you has grown in spite our different perspectives here because of your approach to people. :)

p.s. that means I hope we'll still be sharing beer ;)

1) I'm a female, not a man or a *dude*.

2) I actually work at a library. I teach English as a second language and science for the GED (High School Diploma for adults).

3) For me *real* reading does not include Astrology. Astronomy yes, Astrology no. BTW, I'm not the only one with this opinion. I think you will be hard pressed to find any (living) mainstream scientists (not Astrologers) who will call Astrology a science.

"Just get real and come correct Theodore. Rather than making silly comments on something you know very little about, you'd be better served to enlarge your own knowledge base on Science and quit with the yik-yak, ok? You don't learn anything that way. Be a thinker. Not a stinker."

Well, then, seeing that you work in a library, you are that much closer to having excellent materials on astrology to read. But, seeing how you answered above - "astrology no" - it makes no sense for you to then be so concerned with the topic in the first place as you have in your posts. So please, don't come on strong in your denouncing of something you say you will not read and learn about. That's intellectually dishonest, and uncool.

As for "being hard pressed" ~ considering your "approach" to the subject of Astrology, I believe you, since you wouldn't know much about professional classical scientific astrologers in the first place. You have been conversing with one.

As for your "opinion" being shared. So what? One ignorant person on Astrology, or 50 million. It is still ignorance of the subject nonetheless.

I suggest that the next time you look at a clock to see what "time" it is, or the next time you say a day of the week (named after the Sun, Moon, and planets by the way) that you remember that you've been using Astrology all of your life.

You don't know me either Lilly. I am quite versed in astrophysics, geophysics, optics, astronomy, meteorology, and yes, classical astrology, and I do not appreciate you mocking my 33 years of hard scientific work ~ especially considering your last comments to the contrary. Try not to sound stupid, and rude, ok? Your approach to the subject of Astrology lacks interdisciplinary training and knowledge. And just how can you read about "astronomy" and not have any kind of knowledge about astrology?

You do know that astronomy is a branch of Astrology, yes? The identification, naming, and mapping of celestial bodies ~ astronomy ~ or stellar cartography. I suggest you do more reading ~ much more before going on in the manner you do with your comments on Astrology. You've got a lot more to learn.

And one more thing ~ it isn't personal, but I suggest you scroll back up and re-read your own comments on Astrology, and tell me ~ how can a person who says she does not "read" anything on Astrology find so much time, and put the effort into making such comments in the first place? Why do you care then? Like I said, walk away, and go on with your personal opinions, but have the nerve and boldness to say you don't do any reading on Astrology, and then come on like you know what it is that you are talking about? That's not honest, considering all your "astrology is not this.... not that..." ~ just how would you know? See my point?

Oh, and I've taught people how to read, and how to take the GED before myself, and have done loads of community work because I'm all about planetary improvement ~ not trash talking down disciplines I haven't studied myself. You should know better Lilly.

And yes, like I said, be a thinker, not a stinker. You will not learn much if you don't apply your mind and read before acting as judge & jury on a vast subject as Astrology, while not knowing a thing about that which you comment, and then stating that you don't want to know. Ok. Then be on your way... Have a nice day! :yes:

Edited by Theodore

Don't be dismayed by having an authority on the subject of astrology comment on the the topic. There are professional astrologers and teachers in the world. You just happened to have run into a master astrologer that does not conform to the false views of astrology from a pop culture perspective.

Oh, I am not dismayed at all. And I still think you are absolutely wrong, I just don't have time right now to respond. Being at work unfortunately has the drawback that I need to, oh horror, work.

Best,

Badeskov

And you have every right to disagree and have your opinion. I had to say that you're being very polite in addressing this subject. A lot of us disagree on a lot of topics here. I'm just glad to see discussions that are civilised and respectful. :yes:

And I'm glad that, though we disagree, we can continue in a friendly manner. ^_^

My respect for you has grown in spite our different perspectives here because of your approach to people. :)

p.s. that means I hope we'll still be sharing beer ;)

Oh, having beers with people that one disagrees can be a lot more fun than being with a bunch of yay sayers - so differences or not, we can still be sharing beer ;)

Best,

Badeskov

Oh, I am not dismayed at all. And I still think you are absolutely wrong, I just don't have time right now to respond. Being at work unfortunately has the drawback that I need to, oh horror, work.

Best,

Badeskov

Absolutely wrong? About what?

You don't know me either Lilly. I am quite versed in astrophysics, geophysics, optics, astronomy, meteorology, and yes, classical astrology, and I do not appreciate you mocking my 33 years of hard scientific work ~ especially considering your last comments to the contrary. Try not to sound stupid, and rude, ok? Your approach to the subject of Astrology lacks interdisciplinary training and knowledge.

What degree (degrees) do you have in "astrophysics, geophysics, optics, astronomy, meteorology"?

And one more thing ~ it isn't personal, but I suggest you scroll back up and re-read your own comments on Astrology, and tell me ~ how can a person who does not "read" anything serious on Astrology find so much time, and put effort into making such comments in the first place? Why do you care then?

Because Astrology is not a science, to say such is disinformation.

Oh, and I taught people how to read, and how to take the GED before myself, and have done loads of community work because I'm about planetary improvement ~ not trash talking down disciplines I haven't studied myself. You should know better Lilly.

How nice, our library encourages volunteers to help out as well. I have a Bachelors degree in Biology and a Masters of Education and I haven't always worked at the Literacy Center BTW.

And yes, like I said, be a thinker, not a stinker. You will not learn much if you don't apply your mind and read before acting as judge & jury on a vast subject as Astrology, while not knowing a thing about that which you comment, and then stating that you don't want to know. Ok. Then be on your way... Have a nice day! :yes:

I'm not discussing the subtle nuances of Astrology...I'm saying that Astrology is simply not a science. So, how about we take a look at what an institution of higher learning has to say about all this?

Here's a link to a question and answer site from the Cornell University Astronomy Department regarding Astrology.

Astrology has many of the trappings of real science, like math and complicated diagrams and a specialized vocabulary, but astrologers do not follow the scientific method. Real scientists make careful measurements in well-controlled studies. Astrologers don't do experiments to prove their theories. Instead, they like to provide anecdotal evidence--stories people tell about how accurate they think astrology is. Anecdotal evidence is not acceptable in a real science because it's too easy to leave out all the negative experiences people have, and people not very good at recalling and accurately reporting experiences.

Frankly, I doubt that even the Astronomy professors from Cornell will have any impact on your beliefs.

Absolutely wrong? About what?

In that

1) Astrology is science

2) That the sun's magnetic field has any impact whatsoever on us human beings living on Earth

Best,

Badeskov

What degree (degrees) do you have in "astrophysics, geophysics, optics, astronomy, meteorology"?

Because Astrology is not a science, to say such is disinformation.

How nice, our library encourages volunteers to help out as well. I have a Bachelors degree in Biology and a Masters of Education and I haven't always worked at the Literacy Center BTW.

I'm not discussing the subtle nuances of Astrology...I'm saying that Astrology is simply not a science. So, how about we take a look at what an institution of higher learning has to say about all this?

Here's a link to a question and answer site from the Cornell University Astronomy Department regarding Astrology.

Frankly, I doubt that even the Astronomy professors from Cornell will have any impact on your beliefs.

Ok Lilly ~ we all heard you, like the first five thousand times already... Heard your personal opinions, etc., etc., now, why don't you just leave it at that, ok? Jeez already.:rolleyes:

Here's some links of my own ~ try taking the time to read them, and since you work at a library as you've said, you should easily be able to at least browse for yourself ~

Ptolemy

Astrological Reading Lists

In the second link, you will find many of the texts I had to study during my years of astrological training, and the materials I have my students study. You will find many mathematical texts among them as Astrology is a Science, and classical astrologers were the ones who invented Mathematics ~ used extensively in all of the sciences.

Classical astrologers invented algebra, geometry, and trigonometry to account for all the variables of the motions of celestial bodies relative to the Earth. For you to state that Astrology is not a science is plain wrong. Just wrong Lilly. History proves you wrong. Deal with it.

Try listening more, talking less. That is how we learn. Put about 10,000 hours of time into a topic, and by the time you've acquired that amount you will be a professional. But you will not learn a thing if you do not read, and base things off of your personal opinions.

Opinions are not facts Lilly. Not even close.

"A mind apt in knowledge will discover truth more readily than one practised in the highest branches of science." ~ Ptolemy

Edited by Theodore

Ok Lilly ~ we all heard you, like the first five thousand times already... Heard your personal opinions, etc., etc., now, why don't you just leave it at that, ok? Jeez already.:rolleyes:

My personal opinion(?). Wow, so you think I'm a professor of Astronomy at Cornell University! Gee, thanks for the compliment.

Now I'm going to do something nice in return...I'm going to leave this thread to it's faith based beliefs. Have a nice day.

My personal opinion(?). Wow, so you think I'm a professor of Astronomy at Cornell University! Gee, thanks for the compliment.

Now I'm going to do something nice in return...I'm going to leave this thread to it's faith based beliefs. Have a nice day.

Just make sure you've taken the time to view the links I put above just as you added your own links onto this thread. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander, wouldn't you say Lilly?

The only "faith-based beliefs" you should have is knowing what it is that you are commenting on, and reading more serious books & texts before being that "professor of astronomy at cornell" ~ and by the way, don't forget to look up to become acquainted with the other planets, stars, and constellations that are a part of the cosmos we all inhabit. Remember, you live on a planet (the Earth) that is always in motion and that exists in space and time. Astrology is the scientific study of the cycles of space and time. Cheers!

Edited by Theodore