Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who believes?

The Nameless One

Does Chaos give some valid Scientific Explanations of the Universe?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Does Chaos give some valid Scientific Explanations of the Universe?

• No chance in hell!!!
    • I Haven't done my Homework yet.
    • It's a possibilty.
    • Id like to believe, where do I sign.
    • You bet it does!!!!
    • Its the meaning of life itself.
    • Its a theory that can't even explain itself let alone the universe.
    • Who cares Chaos sucks anyways.

Share your views on Chaos. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Nameless One

• PsychicPenguin

• Nethius

• Kryso

ahhhhhh!!!! I misspelled explanations. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I SUCK, I CAN'T GET ANYTHING RIGHT!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!! crying.gif

If you want you guys can look up the Butterfly Effect, the Lorenz Attractor, and the Koch curve for references to Chaos Theory. thumbsup.gif

Nameless,

There is a preview function you can use to verify the accuracy and correctness of your post before hitting the 'submit' button. It would be greatly appreciated if you took advantage of it. Having to tidy up after you is becoming a pain, especially considering the three other posts that had to be deleted which all pertained to the same subject. If there is a correction you would like to have made to your post, IM a moderator with details, don't keep adding the same topic to the board. Additionally, please refrain from posting obscure, ultimately uninteresting subjects that contain nothing but mathmatical formula and calculations, without any stated reason for starting the topic in the first place. In other words, quit flooding the forum with nonsense and self-indulgent minutia.

Magikman

cOOL THANKS DUDE. thumbsup.gif But You have to understand Im going to make mistakes some of the time, Im new here. thumbsup.gif

okay i had to read up on this chaos theory...

so, this Edward Lorenz ran some #'s and got 2 different answers. once there were 6 decimal places, and next with 3... and he is suprised he got different answers???

Just a small change in the initial conditions can drastically change the long-term behavior of a system.

yea, no ****

Lorenz stated that it is impossible to predict the weather accurately

again, i figured this was a no brainer

In practice, it is impossible to control exactly how fast the coin flips and how high it flips. It is possible to put the variables into a certain range, but it is impossible to control it enough to know the final results of the coin toss.

again, of course... there are so many little factors that would take place that you could never calculate!!!

then this article goes to state even more obvious statements...

The human heart also has a chaotic pattern. The time between beats does not remain constant; it depends on how much activity a person is doing, among other things. Under certain conditions, the heartbeat can speed up.

like, dah...

either i'm completely missing the point, or this whole theory is pointless

info found here

Chaos - is by definition - unexplainable, hence the name. And Chaos Theories are simply mathematicians wasting time, when they have nothing else - or better - to do! The whole point is the fact it’s called Theory, if it was provable, or even remotely sensible, it would be called Chaos fact!

I think the obvious one to go for is the butterfly beating its wings/storm theory… hello, what do they take us all for, brainless crustaceans? huh.gif

I have a Chaos Theory. If I pull my toilet flush I wipe out 5 known species in the Amazon Jungle, because of the movement of the flush handle, reputably causes insurmountable amounts of pressure in the upper atmosphere (caused by the sudden disappearance of the air, due to the flushing movement). This in turn causing huge thunderheads to crash into each other over the Amazon, creating a mighty lightning storm that destroys a 14 mile stretch of a once green jungle, also taking with it the said 5 species! blink.gif

I am in the process of getting a huge silly sized grand to substantiate this theory, so that I can go down in the science and mathematical journals, as another fool who had nothing better to do! thumbsup.gif

hehe, Nethius, you got it, you're almost right. Except for this:

there are so many little factors that would take place that you could never calculate!!!

The truth is, even with all those little factors accounted for, you still cannot predict the outcome. Everything goes back to the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. However, we can predict the probability of certain outcome occuring, and it is what the scientists are doing. It is not completely pointless.

Before the introduction of matter wave theory, we always think that if we know the initial condition of all particles in the universe (mass, velocity, acceleration, etc), we should be able to come up with an exact prediction of future events. It turns out that this is not the case. The universe is governed by the probability laws, where we will never know what is going to happen.

This is pretty much render any form of fortune telling not reliable, as physics show that it is impossible. Also it leads to the collapse of the predestination theory from the world of philosophy.

Good question Mowo , it does appear that the Chaos theory can be adopted more easilly by people who have no or little belief in a God . However I think it can also be incorperated into a belief in God ,. The Joker God has something to do with it all . The Idea that god is not all loving but is merely using us like some board game to keep him self amused .

Personally I think it's tosh , I believe way to much in Karma and Kismet for there not to be a reall perpose to everything ..

There may be a pattern emerging here, does anyone believe in chaos theory who doesnt believe in God? Just curious...

Well, there is no christian scientist here, although I know a lot of scientists and a lot of christians wink2.gif