Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worms In Pork

DelVal Paranormal

Hey, did anybody see the videos on break.com about the worms in the pork? Basically, it's a video that's supposed to show that if you pour coke onto uncooked pork, worms will appear. Supposedly, the acid in the soda makes the worms come to the surface of the meat. The video doesn't prove anything to me and I can send a link if you'd like... but just curious if anybody else has heard of this.

Nope never heard that and to be honest I think its piffle and even if it is true it wont put me off pork, yum! wheres the apple sauce?!

• Like 1

There are tiny worms present in all meat and some fish.. but the cooking process removes them all.

• Like 1

There are tiny worms present in all meat and some fish.. but the cooking process removes them all.

yeah. but Im not sure about the coke thing.

Pork, and other undercooked meats can carry Trichinosis as well as a Pork Tapeworm.

Trichinosis can only be seen under a microscope, so pouring Coca Cola on it isn't going to net you any results.

Pork can also carry a type of tapeworm, however it's rare. I suppose pouring coke on a piece of pork might draw a tapeworm out, but you're going to waste a lot of meat trying to find one. The processing and farming of pork these days dramatically reduces the liklihood that you'll find a tapeworm in your nicely packaged pork chop from the grocery store.

It is recommended that you cook pork completely through, Trichinosis can be very dangerous and deadly. It's most commonly found in pork and wild game like bear. Last year, the CDC reported only 12 cases of Trichinosis.

• Like 2

Pork, and other undercooked meats can carry Trichinosis as well as a Pork Tapeworm.

Trichinosis can only be seen under a microscope, so pouring Coca Cola on it isn't going to net you any results.

Pork can also carry a type of tapeworm, however it's rare. I suppose pouring coke on a piece of pork might draw a tapeworm out, but you're going to waste a lot of meat trying to find one. The processing and farming of pork these days dramatically reduces the liklihood that you'll find a tapeworm in your nicely packaged pork chop from the grocery store.

It is recommended that you cook pork completely through, Trichinosis can be very dangerous and deadly. It's most commonly found in pork and wild game like bear. Last year, the CDC reported only 12 cases of Trichinosis.

would you mind butting your reference here on this information?

Just in case anyone was interested, I put the link up of the video that claims to show worms coming out of the pork when Coke is poured on it. Now before anybody turns around and starts ripping me about the video being a fake, I'm just showing it because this was the first I had heard of the urban legend and thought the video was "interested" at best.

Worms In Pork video

I remember when I was a kid, me and my brother used to pour washing up liquid mixed with water on the grass, and all the worms would pop up. :mellow::lol:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/porkworm.asp

It's false.

Worms will appear when the pork is rotten, but that happens with any kind of food.

And, in the video, it says "Rougly 2 hours later".

Yeah....right. :P

Edit: By the way...for the people who are not so smart, the last pic is a joke. :lol:

Edited by BlackDeath

would you mind butting your reference here on this information?

Oh, sorry, that's something I know from pharamacy school... you can likely verify the information on wikipedia and the CDC web sites .

• Like 1

It's false.

Worms will appear when the pork is rotten, but that happens with any kind of food.

Edit: By the way...for the people who are not so smart, the last pic is a joke. :lol:

"roughly" 2 hours is likely an under exageration. maggots take about 8-12 hours to develop. I'm thinking it was a few hours longer than 2 as well. The meat is likely rotten or starting to rot.

Freezing pork before you prepare it actually does a lot to kill any kind of parasite. I generally recommend that people freeze it before cooking it. I do.

Edited by MissMelsWell

It's false.

Thank god for Snopes! :lol: there are microscopic worms in meats though :blush:

We eat so much "extra" protiens (read bugs, bug eggs, wormies) in all our foods, especialy if you get food from farmers markets. It's just how things go. Our gastric juices can deal with a fair amount of them.

I sobbed when i watched that person on that video waste that coke and pork.

Thank god for Snopes! :lol: there are microscopic worms in meats though :blush:

True... but there is microscopic "bugs" on humans, too.

It's best to not think about it too much. :P

• Like 1

Coke does actually make a very nice glaze for ham. :)

• Like 1

I sobbed when i watched that person on that video waste that coke and pork.

Awwww, don't sob too much, the pork was rotten.... it's ok, it really is. :D

I work in a Meat Department, and before the meet is shipped to our stores, they make 100% sure with a body scan, cool technology that shows the inside of meat, that worms are not present in any beef, chicken, pork, turkey etc etc

no offense, but if that was the case, we would all have worms

:blink:

It's false.

So, no need to call the Mythbusters then?

Hey, did anybody see the videos on break.com about the worms in the pork? Basically, it's a video that's supposed to show that if you pour coke onto uncooked pork, worms will appear. Supposedly, the acid in the soda makes the worms come to the surface of the meat. The video doesn't prove anything to me and I can send a link if you'd like... but just curious if anybody else has heard of this.

I don't know about coke, but a girl once told me in school that she had seen that happen when her uncle poured ginger ale on a piece of pork. I guess this would motivate us to cook our sausage and bacon a little longer next time. :unsure2:

linked-image

Ew. >.< No I won't think of pork the sameway. Now I'm going to stare at the pork instead of eating it.

Edit: No, I haven't heard of that.

Edited by MoonPrincess